Burst Classic - New Format Feedback & Discussion

Hey guys!

Over the past few months, a number of us within the Organized Play team have been working on two new formats behind-the-scenes. Today, we're happy to share one of these Formats; a format dedicated to old Single & Dual Layer System parts which can no longer fit in the metagame, Burst Classic.

This format is now available for Organizers to host unranked experimental events for, in order to provide development feedback to help perfect the ruleset.

(Forgive me, I've already written this thread once today and lost the whole thing, so I'm trying to keep the text relatively brief...  :'( )

Explanation

Due to the large power-creep caused by God and Cho-Z releases, Single and Dual Layer releases have lost their place within any format the WBO offers. The large weight difference and aggressive design differences mean that these releases simply cannot compete at all, and usually get ragdolled. So we're trying to give them a place that they can be used without fear and thrive freely.

Many players have these Layers laying around somewhere completely unusable. These are sometimes available in recent TT products, and are definitely still being made available in Hasbro's Twin Pack range, but are immediately set to one side because it's not useful to them. This is set to make full use of these.

Same applies to Disks, which we're also scaling back to let some pre-Core Disk stuff take rise again; Knuckle, Heavy, Gravity, Spread, Polish etc will see full use with Core Disks being banned, and Frames being unusable as a result.

But this won't just simply be a predictable repeat of the pre-God meta; all Single and Dual Layers now have equivalent Hasbro releases, most of which perform completely differently to their originals, which spices up the metagame and makes the players think very heavily about matchups, as dozens of Layers become very viable in this format and Hasbro parts can be a huge unknown area to many players. Combined with being able to use newer Drivers like Eternal, Hunter and even The Plunger™ Quest, we're expecting that players will almost always be kept on their feet and that these could potentially even make many of the less-popular Single Layers more viable as well.

But this ruleset isn't perfect yet, and we need the help of you guys to help perfect it. We're looking for experimental tournaments to be hosted using this ruleset to provide us with some competitive event data to base decisions on, as well as feedback and discussion on what the community thinks about the rules in place.

So what are you waiting for? Come help us make the best ruleset we can for Burst Classic!

Rule Overview

Rules
  • 1 point OS / 1 point Burst / 1 point KO
  • All official Burst launchers, grips and accessories may be used, including those released post-Dual Layer System.
  • All battles must take place in the TT Burst Standard BeyStadium.
  • During the Experimental testing period, all events using this format will be unranked.
Layer Bans
  • Dark Deathscyther (TT Only)
  • Jormuntor J2 (Hasbro only)
  • Lost Longinus/Luinor L2
  • Storm Pegasis
  • All God, Evolution, Cho-Z, Turbo & GaTinko Layers
Disk Bans
  • All Core Disks (e.g: 1, 4, 7, 10, Aero' etc)
  • All Disks released as part of the GaTinko Layer System (Blitz, Hurricane, Sting etc).
  • Outer
  • Zenith
Driver Bans
  • All Dash & Plus Drivers, except Xtreme', Hunter', and Jolt'
  • Bearing (Hasbro only)
  • Atomic (Both brands, including Atomic-S)

Change Log
  • January 13, 2019 - Initial Revision.
  • January 13, 2019 - Luinor L2 added to the banlist.
  • January 13, 2019 - Clarification on Valtryek V3 added.
  • January 18, 2019 - Shelter Regulus/Regulus R3 added to the banlist. Metal God Chips may no longer be used in this format.
  • January 18, 2019 - The number of points awarded for a KO in the preliminary rounds has been changed from 2 to 1.
  • March 8, 2019 - Jolt' removed from the banlist.
  • March 18, 2019 - Sting, Blitz and Hurricane added to the banlist.
  • March 27, 2019 - God Layers banned, wording on Gatinko Layer System's Disks revised.
  • April 30, 2019 - Storm Pegasis banned.

Event Archive
  • January 19, 2019 - London, UK - Back to the Classics
  • January 27, 2019 - Fredericksberg, VA - Classic-ally Trained
  • February 2, 2019 - Austin, TX - Classic Action
  • February 23, 2019 - Los Angeles, CA - Keeping it cLAssy
  • March 16, 2019 - Philadelphia, PA - Jimmy Zeutron 2: Blast from the Past
  • March 30, 2019 - Toronto, ON - IT'S TIME TO RIP IT
  • May 4, 2019 - London, UK - Days of Dash
  • May 4, 2019 - Toronto, ON - IT'S TIME TO RIP IT! AGAIN!
  • May 24, 2019 - Toronto, ON - BEYBLADE NORTH 2019 [Friday]
  • May 25, 2019 - Los Angeles, CA - LA Burst Classic #2
  • May 26, 2019 - Silver Spring, MD - Yami Tournament Episode 4.5: A New Bey Hope
  • June 2, 2019 - New York, NY - Yami Tournament Episode 5.5: Attack of the Classics
  • June 15, 2019 - London, UK - Days of Dash II
  • June 22, 2019 - Philadelphia, PA - The 100 Yard-S
Alright, India fits perfectly in there, gonna discuss in my community ( though i am on a break, I will take a break from that break)
Free entry Is Still there till Feb right? I guess due to xth anniversary
This sounds like a fun format, but is Odin banned? I remember that it was really good and got banned, but is it usually now?
Odin isn't banned! We're cautious of it for sure, but we'd like to see if it becomes a problem we need to take action against after seeing some data from actual tournaments.
Oh, okay, I didn’t remember if it was unbanned. This does sound like a lot of fun though!
Still have a few adjustments I'd like to see made to the banlist, like the unbanning of (some) Turbo Layers, tW/W3 (which I think we might have just forgotten when listing God Layers that were bad) and maybe 11 and 13, but we should probably wait on testing/tournament results before making any adjustments for the moment.

cant wait to sweep the first burst classic tournament with no longer alive spryzen lol
Destroy might need to be banned?
Edit: Shoot...nvm I didnt read carefully.
Interesting. I'm thinking Orbit becomes a common driver now that Atomic's out.

You might have more luck having a specific list of what IS allowed rather than what's banned, it can be hard to figure out what does and doesn't apply if you aren't familiar with every

I would definitely play in a tournament for this. Let the good times roll!
I was hoping for zeta dash for stationary attack. but I could see it being used for other types that could become a problem.
So is Alter Chronos banned? Since C3 is ok
Yes. We listed Cognite C3 specifically for being permitted, rather than both like the other Layers. Alter Chronos would be too powerful for this format, and this would procedurally become less "Classic" and more "Limited", which isn't the intention here.

Same reason Core Disks and Turbo Layers aren't being permitted. This is Classic, meant for Classic parts. Save those for Limited honestly, haha.
So is Hasbro D2 banned? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions
No, we specified Dark Deathscyther. Doomscizor D2 is still permitted, and we don't think it's anywhere near as much of a problem.
So is it plausible to assume that Driger S and Wolborg would be the best defense-oriented BSB remakes? I'm just going off of their relatively low-recoil design and reportedly decent---strong teeth.
Also, I have a use for my Phoenix winder now, yay!
Oh yeah. Now I can use the majority of my beys. Time for C3.G.U. its classic time!

Also, is lost luinor banned? Because if not, get that done.
Yeah, Luinor L2 should've been on this banlist in my opinion. I don't know why it wasn't there to start with, but hey ho, sorted now.
(Jan. 13, 2019  4:55 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Yeah, Luinor L2 should've been on this banlist in my opinion. I don't know why it wasn't there to start with, but hey ho, sorted now.

Oh good, we don't need left spin domination again.
This is an amazing idea!
Well, Dragoon Storm and Fantom are still a thing...but given their horrible Burst resistance, I'd be surprised to see them used.

L2 is just a necessary evil to eliminate, even if it's one of my favourite Layers to use.
Finally, a bit of rest from Cho-Z and Turbo

~Mana~ , please add next Star Format:
(Nov. 15, 2018  4:38 PM)ks123 Wrote: Could there be a format like Battleship Cruise. All bladers starts 3 stars. Max stars is 4. Every lost your lost 1 star and win get 1 star. Battles: 1v1, 2v2, 1v1v1, 3v3, Extreme Battles, 1v1v1v1, Battle Royale, Previous Champion vs bladers. If top 8 or 16 is survive, begins the elimination finals. The name could be Star Format
So glad to see this happen. I have lately been thinking how much I missed dual layer battles. Bravo to Mana and the committee for thinking of this!

A great reason to continue collecting dual/single layer!
Is SgV banned?
(Jan. 13, 2019  6:41 PM)K1D Wrote: Is SgV banned?

Yes. Only God Valtryek is allowed.
Thanks for putting this together @[~Mana~]! A lot to consider here, but a few quick initial thoughts/questions:

- Is there any particular reason only X' and Hn' are permitted among the Dash Drivers? Why not the others? Even Ds' doesn't seem concerning if there isn't any good left spin Layers.
- Can you explain the reasoning for 1 Point Burst and 2 Point KO from your perspective?
- I agree with Wombat that there is probably some Core Disks like 11 and 13 which could be unbanned.
- Anyone playing in experimental unranked events for this format: make sure that in evaluating how the event went afterwards that you look at the bigger picture. Especially for the first few events, the results will probably bit a bit all over the map as everyone tries to figure out what works best.
Is Rip Fire still Banned?