Baltimore, MD
Tournament Results
Baltimore Science Fiction Society Building
3310 East Baltimore Street
  Building has a purple door.
1:00 PM on 01/04/2020
Format
Burst

Most official Beyblade Burst gear can be used.

View Rulebook
Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
0 cash  

WBO Tournament Fees temporarily waived

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

This is a Burst Standard format Tournament.

Host:
 Deceased Crab

Format: Burst Standard. Consult the rules at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mbjw-O...mLOgNQ-c9A I know it says "Old" in the title, but that's a joke on the product "Old Bay".

LocationThis event will be held indoors at the Baltimore Science Fiction Society building, which has a large library. http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.292125...,+MD+21224
[Image: 1YQygRH.png]
Parking will be street parallel parking, there are no nearby lots or structures, but parking doesn't seem to be a problem on Saturdays.
Please tell your parents or whoever's driving that there are plenty of books to read and chairs to sit in.

Time: As the tournament will start promptly at 1:00pm, please plan to arrive around 12:00pm when registration will begin. Registration will close at 12:45am. Confirming your attendance on the WBO event page does not substitute for registration at the venue, make sure you register at the main desk once you arrive.
Do not arrive before 11:30am! The building will not be open before 11:30am, so please, don't. Go get some breakfast while you wait. Last time, some people showed up before 11:30am. That was incorrect to do!

Prizes: Sorry but no prizes this time! We don't have a prize budget right now and I've been paying out of pocket for them. Can't do it this time.

Other Information:
We have a 32 participant cap. There will be a waitlist at the venue on the tournament day if that fills up, but not before tournament day. 

Even if you can't or don't want to participate, you may show up and enjoy free play with other bladers at the venue.

A WBO Account is required to participate. They're free. Go make one now, and then click "Join Tournament" if you want to participate. Do not just show up and assume everything will be okay; without an account, you will not participate in the tournament, and without registering in one of the 32 participant slots by joining the tournament, your participation is not guaranteed.
It is important that you know what your WBO account name is. Otherwise, how will you participate? We cannot look that information up for you. It would help if you were logged into the account on a smartphone when you get there.

All participants must check in at the Organizer's Desk when they arrive. If you don't check in, it doesn't matter if you register online; you won't be playing. We will make numerous announcements reminding you to check in. We will do a roll call before the tournament begins. We will give you every opportunity in the world to let us know you are present at the tournament.

Be aware of your surroundings. The BSFS organization has generously allowed us to hold a Beyblade tournament at a wonderful indoor venue. We are guests in this space, and we should be respectful. There are many books there! If you want to borrow one, use the card catalog box in the front room. Please do not use the board games on the shelf, you are more than welcome to come to BSFS at a later time to boardgame. Anyone interested in BSFS events should definitely go to http://www.bsfs.org/index.html and attend those. Anyone who's looking for some good books to read, well, you've come to the right Beyblade tournament.

Please come prepared. It is helpful for both hosts and judges if all participants bring at least one Takara Tomy or Hasbro-manufactured Beyblade of their own and more than one launcher when possible. Additionally, parents of children under the age of 13 must be present for the duration of the event, as tournament end times can be difficult to estimate, and we would hate for someone to be left behind once it is over.

Be aware of your belongings. We'd advise users to please, please, please look after your stuff. While yes this is a Beyblade tournament and we're not suggesting that any of us would attempt to take each other's stuff it is still happening at a public venue where other people (who may not be so friendly) are going to be present as well. Of course, if you see a personal belonging lying around bring it up any of the judges so we can return it to the right person. Your co-operation is appreciated!

All players must arrive on-time. The tournament will begin no later than 1:00 PM and is expected to run for about 3 hours or less. We will start without you if you're later than that. The tournament absolutely needs to finish by 5:00 PM. Please plan accordingly. If you do not arrive at the scheduled start time, you risk being excluded from the tournament. The software we use to run our events – Challonge – does not allow us to add in extra participants once the tournament has started.

If you know in advance that you will be late, please post in this thread or contact someone at the event and depending on the circumstances we can perhaps still include you if we know you will arrive soon.

Spread the Word!

Are you as excited about the festivities as we are?! If so, be sure to tell your friends about it! And if you haven't already, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!
@worldbeyblade

[url=https://www.facebook.com/WorldBeybladeOrganization][/url]WorldBeybladeOrganization on Facebook

Spread the word! 
#BEYBLADE #MDBEYBLADE #WBO

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

(Dec. 29, 2019  8:18 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: And here comes the inevitable deluge of "please make room for me in your tournament messages".

Folks, you had 11 days to register for this tournament before it filled up. If you missed that window, that's on you, there's nothing I can or will do about that. I'm not going to increase the tournament size, because 6 round swiss tournaments take much longer to run than 5. Don't ask.

If someone deregisters in the next couple of days, you can register then when/if a slot opens up.
Barring that your only choice is to show up at the event and get on the waitlist.
The waitlist is only started at the tournament on the day of the tournament for people who are actually there.
Usually there's a 25-33% rate of noshows, and so far everyone who's shown up early to waitlist at one of my tournaments has gotten to participate.
But participation is NOT guaranteed for waitlisted participants, only for registered participants who arrive before the tournament begins.
Yea listen to him.

My dad just told me I can’t go after he told me I could so I guess I’m not going
(Dec. 31, 2019  12:53 AM)BeybladeBlast11 Wrote: My dad just told me I can’t go after he told me I could so I guess I’m not going

Sorry to hear that! I've deregistered you. Maybe next time!
Is anybody going to be selling beys

(Dec. 31, 2019  3:25 AM)Rust lord Wrote: Is anybody going to be selling beys

And if so what beys
Looks like I possibly won't be able to go y'all, supposedly going to sign a contract in order to officially possibly get this new house
(Dec. 31, 2019  8:18 PM)RYANTHEDRAGON98 Wrote: Looks like I possibly won't be able to go y'all, supposedly going to sign a contract in order to officially possibly get this new house
I hope you get the house.
I have to unregister because I have a last minute hockey game I have to go to and my parents won’t let me miss it
Whoops, looks like I didn't have all my stocks of Masters
Sorry but BC Crest and I will not be able to make the tournament
Hi folks! Tomorrow's the big day! A couple of notes:

There are 32 registrants! 11 of them have processed WBO ranks from existing tournaments. 5 of them don't, and have been to previous WBO tournaments, two of whom made it to the finals. And the remaining 16 are brand new, and most of them haven't posted ever. Curious.

Two of you have made a habit of registering for tournaments and not showing up. All participants, please make sure you show up or announce you can't make it in the thread! Or there may be consequences, especially for the two I mentioned above!

Expect the tournament to last about 3 hours from the start time of 1, and maybe a little longer if you make it to the finals.
Once the first stage of the tournament ends, DON'T LEAVE! Don't leave until you make sure you aren't in the finals! We had an entrant, LeoBey, leave before the finals last time, when he should've been in there. We still don't know what happened! I'm probably going to ask you about it tomorrow.

As started in the tournament post, there's no prizes this time. But as always, I'm bringing snacks. Enjoy.

EDIT: Rust lord I removed you and your brother from the tournament as requested. I'm sorry it didn't work out, I was hoping to see you both at the tournament!

Two more slots have opened up.
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:12 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Hi folks! Tomorrow's the big day! A couple of notes:

There are 32 registrants! 11 of them have processed WBO ranks from existing tournaments. 5 of them don't, and have been to previous WBO tournaments, two of whom made it to the finals. And the remaining 16 are brand new, and most of them haven't posted ever. Curious.

Two of you have made a habit of registering for tournaments and not showing up. All participants, please make sure you show up or announce you can't make it in the thread! Or there may be consequences, especially for the two I mentioned above!

Expect the tournament to last about 3 hours from the start time of 1, and maybe a little longer if you make it to the finals.
Once the first stage of the tournament ends, DON'T LEAVE! Don't leave until you make sure you aren't in the finals! We had an entrant, LeoBey, leave before the finals last time, when he should've been in there. We still don't know what happened! I'm probably going to ask you about it tomorrow.

As started in the tournament post, there's no prizes this time. But as always, I'm bringing snacks. Enjoy.

EDIT: Rust lord I removed you and your brother from the tournament as requested. I'm sorry it didn't work out, I was hoping to see you both at the tournament!

Sorry for the change but BC Crest and I can come
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:24 AM)Rust lord Wrote: Sorry for the change but BC Crest and I can come

Well, that's good news! Please be Certain before you ask me to deregister you in the future. Smile
We just re-registered. Really sorry for the confusion - lots of craziness in my house right now. See you all tomorrow.
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:12 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Hi folks! Tomorrow's the big day! A couple of notes:

Hey DeceasedCrab, I may try to come today, but that'll depend on:

1. How the signing goes for the new house me, my mom, and my sister have to sign for at 11

2. If my mom possibly will bring me here

P.S. the thing was supposed to be at 10, but mom said that the guy changed the time to 11
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:11 PM)RYANTHEDRAGON98 Wrote:

Hey DeceasedCrab, I may try to come today, but that'll depend on:

1. How the signing goes for the new house me, my mom, and my sister have to sign for at 11

P.S. the thing was supposed to be at 10, but mom said that the guy changed the time to 11

You will not be able to come because the tournament cap has been reached.
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:24 PM)Rust lord Wrote:
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:11 PM)RYANTHEDRAGON98 Wrote: Hey DeceasedCrab, I may try to come today, but that'll depend on:

You will not be able to come because the tournament cap has been reached.

He could be put on a waiting list.
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:25 PM)BuilderROB Wrote:
(Jan. 04, 2020  3:24 PM)Rust lord Wrote: You will not be able to come because the tournament cap has been reached.

He could be put on a waiting list.

He could indeed. As I said earlier in the thread, it's possible.

But don't tell me "I can maybe show up for the waitlist, if everything lines up", just show up if you can. Smile
My Dad isn't able to bring me today, so I can be removed from the bladers registered list.
Well, we've got one slot open, and there's always the waitlist. Like I said earlier in the thread,
"[If it's full you can] show up at the event and get on the waitlist.
The waitlist is only started at the tournament on the day of the tournament for people who are actually there.
Usually there's a 25-33% rate of noshows, and so far everyone who's shown up early to waitlist at one of my tournaments has gotten to participate.
But participation is NOT guaranteed for waitlisted participants, only for registered participants who arrive before the tournament begins."

This keeps coming up, mostly because instead of reading the thread and asking questions there people just message me directly. I think I just have to come to terms with the fact that many people are going to get as far as the "Join Tournament" button and then not read anything past that point. Smile

Driving to the venue now, hope we have a good tournament today!
Bracket will be up soon at https://worldbeyblade.challonge.com/OldBeyBladeIII
https://worldbeyblade.challonge.com/OldB...eIIIFinals Finals Bracket
I'm so tired.
TSO got first, Yami second, Beymaster third. Overall an excellent tournament. Detailed recap later.
Well, it looks terrible when you're the last 5 posts in your own thread, but it wouldn't make sense to edit the info into the older posts.

Gosh, that was a fun tournament yesterday. Tiring, but fun. Thanks again to the judges, the parents, and the bladers themselves!

I wrote notes. All the notes! Most of them are positive and reassuring!

- We had 28 of the 32 registrants show up before registration closed! A new record! Unfortunately, we had 7 people on the waitlist. It felt awful to turn away 3 of those people. In the past the tournaments I've organized have had way more no-shows, so a waitlist of 6 people wasn't an issue. This isn't a problem I can fix; the venue simply cannot support a larger number of participants, it's already fairly crowded as is. Each blader participant usually brings 1-2 people with them... sometimes as many as 4. It gets very crowded. You should all keep a closer eye on tournament announcements and register early to guarantee participation.

- We had 4 registrants either not show up or show up after registration closed. I think there was only one who showed up after it closed, and unfortunately I couldn't let them into the tournament at that point, the brackets were full and the people on the waitlist were on time. Plus I was in the middle of getting ready to announce the first round matches. At least this time they didn't try to argue with me about it! As I mentioned earlier, I'm keeping records of MD/PA bladers who make a habit of no-showing to tournaments without an explanation, and for some of these 4, its their second offense. They will be contacted, and there may be warning percentages involved. I'm starting to think that some of you bladers aren't getting your parents/guardians/etc. permission prior to registering for these tournaments! You really should.

- Master layer is here in the US now, and it's having interesting effects! It's a highly defensive layer in left spin, and it seems to benefit from higher tips. Expect to see this layer again in upcoming tournaments!

- As far as I can tell, for 19 Bladers, this was their first tournament! It's always exciting to get a new group of bladers in. Although what's even better is when you come back to tournaments in the future! Even if you didn't do well at today's tournament, we hope you had fun, and we hope you learn from the experience, and we know you'll probably do better next time. So please, attend more WBO tournaments in the future. Practice makes permanent!

- Although I wasn't judging, I did notice a general lack of the main attack layers, Zwei and Judgement. This made it a lot safer to use stamina and opposite spin layers. This time around, NoahRC51 wasn't running his BeyShop, so bladers didn't have easier access to attack types. I wonder if we see more attack layers when the BeyShop is around? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

- Balkesh B3 is still very viable. My one first stage loss was against a B3, I was using Imperial. It's not amazing against Judgement or Zwei, but Balkesh B3 is still a strong layer against many others. Don't write it off yet.

- My finals loss was to Yami. Which is very on-brand for both of us. I'll defeat you again one of these days!

- I'm sorry about having to cone off the stairs behind the organizers section. People had been using it for a tournament and a half to watch the matches, and aside from being a fire hazard or impediment to the building owners in the office upstairs, or bladers missing their match announcements because they were behind the megaphone on the stairs, I didn't really have a problem with that. Unfortunately today that changed. Someone accidentally dropped a bey down into the crawlspace under the stairs. I had to get the building owners to come have a look and give us permission to move things around between first stage and the finals. Fortunately we were able to get the bey, but I'm going to have to keep everyone off the stairs in the future; aside from being a place where beys can become lost, they're a little uneven at spots, and I'm going to be much less worried if I just keep people off them.

- Today I came to the realization that some people don't understand that there's an entire forum thread underneath the tournament announcements. I can post details, I can answer questions, and some people just won't scroll down enough to see there's a ton of answers available. I don't have a fix for that, I don't think it's something I can fix. Certainly a downer though.

- I'm still having trouble getting people to quiet down and pay attention during announcements. I can repeat an announcement 3 times into a megaphone, but many times people will mishear their names, and others won't hear their name at all. I called one blader to a match about 8 times before they finally showed up, on the verge of forfeiting that match. I know you're all excited to have a lot of blading going on in the freeplay area, but until your match is called for the round, I'm hoping you will try to pay more attention to when your match is! And when you hear an announcement on the megaphone, please stop launching, stop talking, just have a quiet sit and listen for a bit.

- Please stop asking me "When do I get to have my match". Asking isn't going to make your match start any faster. It makes it start slower.

- This was the first tournament where I had bladers leave midway. jfitzgerald2011 disappeared after round 3, and maddoxmayhem disappeared after round 4. If you have to leave due to circumstances outside of your control, that's fine, just tell us. If you want to leave because you're not doing so well, although I don't agree with that idea because you aren't going to get any better if you try and also because Swiss tournaments match you against people with similar win records so it's only going to get easier if you keep trying, at least tell us you're leaving. When you leave without telling us? It slows things down and delays matches because we are trying very much to find you for your match, and you aren't there. I'm assembling a new list for people who bail on tournaments mid-way without an explanation. Penalties will be assessed if it happens more than once. Please just let us know if you're leaving, that's all we ask.

- The finals calculation today wasn't all that stressful. The Supreme One had it all figured out in mere moments, while I insisted on going through the results carefully, and it turned out she was completely right and I should just listen. Smile In a 32 person tournament, everyone who goes 4-1 is likely to go to the finals. We had 1 person go 5-0 and 6 people go 4-1, which is rare and amazing. So we had 8 3-2 bladers vying for a single 8th place slot in the finals. After determining that there weren't significant issues with higher buchholz or people moving up or down based on other matches against 3-2 bladers, we actually had to have a tiebreaker match between Rust lord and Tacalon. It was an exciting match!

- The finals today were interesting for a couple of reasons. We had 3 new and returning bladers make it to the finals for the first time. But for the other 5, well, they were no strangers to finals and deck format, I just wasn't expecting them all to meet in the finals. This tournament had one organizer (me) and 4 judges (Hello321, Yami, The Supreme One, and beymaster15963). Normally, I would say about 2-4 of us will make it to the finals. We're experienced at Beyblade, we have good parts, some of us have been playing for years, and we're all really quite good. Occasionally we'll run into hurdles and first stage and not make to the finals, it happens to me a lot. It even happens to Yami sometimes! But today? All 5 of the judges/organizers made it to the finals. Which isn't surprising, it's just rare, that's all. And usually once there, we run into each other in the quarterfinals and defeat each other! Such is Beyblade. But today? Aside from me getting knocked out by Yami in the quarterfinals (hahaha, if it wasn't him Hello321 would've done it in the semifinals), the 4 judges were positively ruthless and by the semifinals it was down to just them. To clarify, this is rare, and I know it looks sketchy when it happens, but I was really glad to see them all make it to the top 4. They've earned it.

- There's a recurring question that comes up every now and then, "is it fair for judges and organizers to be participants?" And my answer is... shrug. These tournaments don't run themselves! It's a lot of hard work to judge and organize. And no one's being paid to do this, this is all volunteer run. So, I at least will absolutely never apologize for participating. I prefer to think of it as "We are decently challenging opponents and you will have to work hard to defeat us." We're good at this, and we enjoy playing, and we won't give that up. If we couldn't participate, we wouldn't run it, so please, just train well to defeat us.

- After the tournament, a few of us stuck around to try TSO's Draft format with deck format rules. I'd never heard of this before, and I was slow to understand, because I was very tired and hungry. But it's actually kind of a cool format! You alternate banning specific layer use for both bladers until 3 are banned, and then 3 discs, and then 3 drivers, and then from the remaining unbanned parts, you make a 3 bey deck (1 bey at a time, revealing between each so that you can decide if the next bey should counter something your opponent has made) and then have a deck format match. I did fairly well in this format! The strategy is interesting. I always made sure Lord and Bearing were banned, but I tried to change up what was banned based on the opponent. However, it's a format where having more parts directly benefits you. In my case, when Zwei and Judgement were on the ban list, I could always fall back on Dead Hades. I had enough parts that I almost always had backups available for any kind of bey I wanted to make. It is not necessarily a fair format, but it is fun. I don't know that we could do official tournaments for it.

- I'm probably going to let one of the other judges organize the next event at BSFS, I'm low on people-herding energy and I need a few months to recharge. I'll be there to judge, and handle any concerns with the building managers, but someone else can organize. Smile

- The next tournament I do will likely be Zero-G format or Metal Fight Limited. Sorry folks, but I've started collecting a few MFB beys and I want to give them a try! Don't worry, with the surprisingly rapid tournament tempo we've had in December and January in the Northeast/Central Atlantic (would you believe I'm participating in 6 tournaments this month???) you should not be worried about missing out on a single tournament just because you don't have MFBs; wait for the next one!
(Jan. 05, 2020  9:16 PM)Staron Wrote: When's the next tournament?

Because I'm in bel air

Uncertain yet! Please be patient. I believe there might be a tournament Northeast of Baltimore on a few weeks.

I really can't say this enough, never ask "When's the next tournament" or "When's my tournament match" because we're all busy people trying to juggle busy lives and busy tournaments. We really need you to be patient, or at least, not voice your impatience.