3rd
Tournament Results
Baltimore Science Fiction Society building
3310 East Baltimore Street
  Building has a purple door.
1:00 PM on 12/14/2019
Format
Burst Classic

Selected Beyblade Burst gear can be used.

View Rulebook
Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
0 cash  

WBO Tournament Fees temporarily waived

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

This is a Burst Classic Tournament! Many layers and tips and discs are banned! Please Read and Understand the Burst Classic rules!

Host: Deceased Crab

Format: Burst Classic. Consult the rules at https://drive.google.com/open?id=13dKtCf...7B3-wyD1YY and consult the permitted parts list at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing I know it says "Old" in the title, but that's a joke on the product "Old Bay". But this time, that really means Burst Classic. No Lord Layers! We are safe from the Lord layers this time.

LocationThis event will be held indoors at the Baltimore Science Fiction Society building, which has a large library. http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.292125...,+MD+21224
[Image: 1YQygRH.png]
Parking will be street parallel parking, there are no nearby lots or structures, but parking doesn't seem to be a problem on Saturdays.
Please tell your parents or whoever's driving that there are plenty of books to read and chairs to sit in.

Time: As the tournament will start promptly at 1:00pm, please plan to arrive around 12:00pm when registration will begin. Registration will close at 12:45am. Confirming your attendance on the WBO event page does not substitute for registration at the venue, make sure you register at the main desk once you arrive.
Do not arrive before 11:30am! The building will not be open before 11:30am, so please, don't. Go get some breakfast while you wait. Last time, some people showed up before 11:30am. That was incorrect to do!

Prizes: TBD

Other Information:
We have a 40 participant cap. There will not be a waitlist ahead of time if that fills up. 

Even if you can't or don't want to participate, you may show up and enjoy free play with other bladers at the venue.

Be aware of your surroundings. The BSFS organization has generously allowed us to hold a Beyblade tournament at a wonderful indoor venue. We are guests in this space, and we should be respectful. There are many books there! If you want to borrow one, use the card catalog box in the front room. Please do not use the board games on the shelf, you are more than welcome to come to BSFS at a later time to boardgame. Anyone interested in BSFS events should definitely go to http://www.bsfs.org/index.html and attend those. Anyone who's looking for some good books to read, well, you've come to the right Beyblade tournament.

Please come prepared. It is helpful for both hosts and judges if all participants bring at least one Takara Tomy or Hasbro-manufactured Beyblade of their own and more than one launcher when possible. Additionally, parents of children under the age of 13 must be present for the duration of the event, as tournament end times can be difficult to estimate, and we would hate for someone to be left behind once it is over.

Be aware of your belongings. We'd advise users to please, please, please look after your stuff. While yes this is a Beyblade tournament and we're not suggesting that any of us would attempt to take each other's stuff it is still happening at a public venue where other people (who may not be so friendly) are going to be present as well. Of course, if you see a personal belonging lying around bring it up any of the judges so we can return it to the right person. Your co-operation is appreciated!

All players must arrive on-time. The tournament will begin no later than 1:00 PM and is expected to run for about 3 hours or less. It absolutely needs to finish by 5:00 PM. Please plan accordingly. If you do not arrive at the scheduled start time, you risk being excluded from the tournament. The software we use to run our events – Challonge – does not allow us to add in extra participants once the tournament has started.

If you know in advance that you will be late, please post in this thread or contact someone at the event and depending on the circumstances we can perhaps still include you if we know you will arrive soon.

Spread the Word!

Are you as excited about the festivities as we are?! If so, be sure to tell your friends about it! And if you haven't already, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

[/url][Image: twitteric.png] @worldbeyblade

[url=http://worldbeyblade.org/images/facebookic.png][Image: facebookic.png] WorldBeybladeOrganization

Spread the word! 
#BEYBLADE #MDBEYBLADE #WBO

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

Hello,
I made an account and registered but it is my son who will be participating. Do I need to change my account name? I am listed under Shannon but my son Finn is the one who will be participating.
(Dec. 09, 2019  2:25 AM)Shannon Wrote: Hello,
I made an account and registered but it is my son who will be participating. Do I need to change my account name? I am listed under Shannon but my son Finn is the one who will be participating.

Your account only works for You participating. If you're not planning to participate, you need to deregister and then your son needs to make an account name, and register for the tournament. Or you can make it for him. You probably don't want your son's blader name to be known as "Shannon" during his WBO tournament experience. He probably doesn't want that either!

Currently there's a bug where people can't deregister without WBO Contributor (it's above Moderator, I can't even do it) help. Once you get deregistered, your son can register.

ALSO! I can't stress this enough: This is a Burst Classic Format tournament! If you don't know what that means, then there's about a 90% chance you don't even have legal parts for the tournament! It is a format with part restrictions, newer layers and some tips and some discs are forbidden. I beg of you, don't make this your first tournament, because the last thing I want is for eager bladers to show up with a bunch of beys that Can't be used and they're unable to participate.

It's terrifying because like 8 parents have shown up with the "this will be my child's first tournament" line and I'm reaaaaal worried not all the parents and bladers read the rules on this one.
Thank you for your help! I am afraid to deregister and then re register because he is the last participant and I am afraid that someone else will take the slot. Do you think that will
happen? He doesn’t have an email address since he is 9 so he might just take my name for the tournament.

Also, thank you for the tip about the Burst Classic tournament. Our son has like 30 bey blades but I will make sure that we read the rules and if he doesn’t have the parts I will de register and we will try another time for a different tournament.
(Dec. 09, 2019  3:52 AM)Shannon Wrote: Thank you for your help! I am afraid to deregister and then re register because he is the last participant and I am afraid that someone else will take the slot. Do you think that will
happen? He doesn’t have an email address since he is 9 so he might just take my name for the tournament.

Also, thank you for the tip about the Burst Classic tournament. Our son has like 30 bey blades but I will make sure that we read the rules and if he doesn’t have the parts I will de register and we will try another time for a different tournament.

A valid concern. If you want we can just leave your name in there, and when it comes time to register at the tournament, he can register under his new account name instead of as Shannon. The other judges, they might not be aware that Shannon's your name, and it will be weird when people call him his mother's name the entire tournament.

What I recommend you do is you open an email address for him that you control, and he doesn't have access to, and you make the new WBO account point to that email address and get it activated, and then on the day of the tournament instead of using the Shannon account he can use this other account, which you still control, but at least will have a name of his choosing.

You might want to let him pick the name, how else will he fit in with Beyblade_Anime_Reference87 or DeceasedCrab or ObscureMeme204764 or DisrespectsParents42 or Fortnite_All_Nite?
Thank you for your help. My son does have the legal parts and he really wants to participate so we are going to come. My husband opened an account for him using his email address with the username finnj. Could we use that account on the tournament day without me having to deregister?
(Dec. 10, 2019  1:12 AM)Shannon Wrote: Thank you for your help. My son does have the legal parts and he really wants to participate so we are going to come. My husband opened an account for him using his email address with the username finnj. Could we use that account on the tournament day without me having to deregister?

I'm going to go with yes, probably. We hope he enjoys the tournament!
Darn! Their a wait list?
Only if you show up the day of. From what it sounds like there are going to be a whole bunch of people trying to get onto the waitlist. I'm a little concerned, really. 40 bladers we can probably handle, barely, but with a bunch of people showing up for the waitlist, I'm worried it'll get crowded.

The thread has been up over a month, if you're just now finding it, well, you need to check more often, such as when there are still openings. We didn't hit the cap until around 21 days.
No bey? No problem!

I'll be selling 10 grab bag classic beys (legal layer, driver, and disk included) at the tournament for $10 a piece Smile I'll have 5 Hasbro and 5 Takara Tomy, so hopefully there will be enough for anyone who wants to play and needs legal parts.
(Dec. 12, 2019  4:20 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: No bey? No problem!

I'll be selling 10 grab bag classic beys (legal layer, driver, and disk included) at the tournament for $10 a piece Smile I'll have 5 Hasbro and 5 Takara Tomy, so hopefully there will be enough for anyone who wants to play and needs legal parts.

Thanks TSO!

In addition, I've selected 8 of my Single/Dual layers, Classic-legal discs, and Classic-legal tips (all Hasbro) into an emergency "Somehow this blader showed up without reading the rules" backup kit, for borrowing. Hopefully we never need to use it! TSO's are probably better. If anyone does have to borrow some of them, I'll assemble one more or less randomly and write down who's got which of my parts. I will need those back after the tournament.
There are two slots that have opened up! If anyone's interested in signing up before tomorrow's tournament, now is your chance. See you all tomorrow around 11:30AM EST!
(Nov. 04, 2019  8:58 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Nov. 04, 2019  7:37 PM)Dragreus111 Wrote: Is there an age cap for this tournament?

There is no age cap for any WBO tournament. Meaning that there will be a few people there who are in their 20s, and at least one in their 30s.

You might not have been to a WBO tournament before, so I have to ask, have you read the part limitations on Burst Classic? Do you know what parts are and aren't allowed? I have linked them in the first post and the announcement.

I havent been to any beyblade tournament ever but ive collected since plastic gen. I did take a look at it. Unfortunately i doubt ill be able to make it back to baltimore for a good while. Was just asking in the off chance i could make it.
Good morning bladers!

If you're registered for today's tournament and can't make it, make sure you let me know and the reason why in this thread or PMs or Discord, prior to the tournament start.

If you think I'm not keeping records of no-shows who don't even leave a note why, you're mistaken! Smile And repeat no-shows without explanation for capped tournaments, well... steps will be taken.
Can we see the brackets?
The participants haven't been added yet, but here you go: https://worldbeyblade.challonge.com/OldBeyBladeII.
Challonge: https://worldbeyblade.challonge.com/OldBeyBladeII
Challonge for finals: https://worldbeyblade.challonge.com/OldBeyBladeIIFinals
Wow! A fun tournament. I will write up something more thorough later. For right now I am hungry and tired
Thanks for the fun tournament!
1st Place: geetster99
2nd Place: Yami
3rd Place: Hello321

I hope everyone who attended had a fun time at Old BeyBlade II!

- We ended up having 32 bladers when we started the tournament, out of a potential 40! Honestly, I do not regret that one bit. 32 bladers and their parents/siblings was just about the limit of what the venue can handle. And a 6 round swiss would be more than I could handle. I'm capping future ones at 32, and if we get fewer than 32... good. I'll be that one organizer who Likes small tournaments.

- The tournament had prizes. Surprise! Yes, I got prizes for the top 3. And uh, I think next time I may need to hold off on the prizes, that's getting pricey. Gosh I miss having a prize budget. The Imperial and the Blue Storm Pegasis were probably overkill. I should've just bought 2 more Hasbro Shark Launchers, ha ha ha. No but seriously, that blue Yard-S is extremely good in Burst Classic, disbelieve its quality at your own peril!

- Yami managed to coax geetster99 out of retirement for another tournament! IT BECAME HIS UNDOING! Geetster proceeded to make it to the finals, beat TSO, beat soft wizard, beat Yami, and win 1st place! Thank you for bringing him out of retirement Yami, we need more people who can defeat you! Grin I say this only because I respect your overwhelming Beyblade ability and also I've only beaten you once and it is challenging!

- Hello321 is still using Liner, Successfully, and that hurts my head. There is no good reason his Liner should be so successful but here we are! Liner is good apparently and we are all fools for ignoring it! And I need to work on actively countering it! Hello321 continues to defeat me in close matches and I respect the heck out of his Beyblading ability! I would LIKE to defeat him but I'm coming to terms with the fact that just isn't going to happen. Congrats again.

- My voice hurts really bad because I was speaking into a megaphone off and on for 4 hours. Ow.

- We had 4 stadium setups. We had 2 backup judges, but sometimes I let the beystadium sit for a bit if one of the judges was in a match. I didn't start fully using the backup judges to their maximum potential until later on. I tried to space out the primary-judge-involved matches so only one would happen at a time. And I always had my own match be the last of the round. I would say that worked well! Definitely going to repeat that plan.

- Bladers are still confused by Classic format. Bladers are still bringing fake launchers and fake grips and fake parts. Water is wet, sky is blue. And nothing I say or do will change that.

- We had a tremendous amount of success cordoning off the tournament area using orange cones and caution tape. Something about the orange and yellow is just so primal that people actually listen to them. It's conditioning! You've been conditioned! And we can exploit that conditioning to make you stay the heck outside of the tournament match area! And it worked! I just point to the tape and cones and people leave the area without arguing! Nice! I love brainhacking people in a crowded room while I'm getting a headache!

- We had a tremendous amount of new bladers at the tournament! And like a dozen people who showed up and didn't have WBO accounts! How! How does this happen! You see the WBO tournament thread, and instead of registering an account, you think "I will just show up!" Well the good news is accounts are free, and I made sure you all had them before the tournament! What can I do to fix it so that everyone has an account already next time? Do I have to add a section in the tournament post that indicates "You need to have a valid and activated WBO account to participate" and put it in bold letters? I think I do! But I do worry about whether or not all those details get read. I mean, most people won't even read this far, how would they read that?

- We had a tremendous amount of new bladers at the tournament! And many of them did extremely well! Jackson6, soft wizard, Ferg City, and LeoBey all made it to the finals in some capacity! That's extraordinary! That's what I love about Burst Classic, you can succeed with older parts, and the Classic meta is very accessible, there are many different parts that work! Even Liner!

- We had a minor tragedy strike at the tournament: Someone who made it to the finals at their first tournament, who did exceedingly well, left after the first stage without saying anything. LeoBey, where did you go? You were supposed to be in the finals! We looked for you! We had to bump up the person in 9th place, Ferg City. It was also their first tournament, and they also did well. We try to explain the format as clear as we can, but I need to be careful in telling people not to leave until we confirm the top 8.

- I still hate trying to puzzle out who goes to the finals. It's The Worst. WBO Tiebreaker rules are arcane and don't line up precisely with the rules that Challonge uses. I've gotten good at this so I managed to get through it quickly. Also, everyone left me alone as I was going through them, which was great! Because finals calculation is easily the worst part of any tournament if there's a 7 way tie for 2 finals spots, even worse than being yelled at by a parent. Sometimes you get lucky and it takes no time at all to determine the top 8. But usually you don't get that luck and you have to fight for it. 32 blader tournaments usually have 7 way ties or something awful like that. I need to write a guide to WBO Finals Tiebreaker rules.

- We're having a minor issue where bladers are launching way late. Curiously late! Don't know why that is! Probably not out of a sense of malice or trying to perform trickery, I believe it's a function of "sometimes bladers just have trouble launching at the right time". And you know what, that's fine. We can just redo the match until they launch at the correct time. Remember, it's 3 2 1 Go Shoot, and you launch at Shoot! If a full 2 seconds pass after Shoot before you launch, well, you gotta practice! And we won't count that launch. And if we find definitive proof that someone did that on purpose? Why, that'd be a sportsmanship violation, with penalities applied. Good thing it wasn't that!

- We had Beyshop again at this tournament! As NoahRC51 mentioned in another thread, he was selling at blowout prices to try and clear out some old stock! Seems like he did well! Granted, most of it can't be used in Classic, but hey, people like having beyshops right there. He was running a little bit late this morning due to factors outside of his control, so he missed the tournament registration, but it was good to see him and the Beyshop again! I bought some prizes for the tournament, and finally got myself a Jolt'. As usual, it proved a little bit of a distraction to some bladers (Vincent111 you are the new Where's Waldo, you know that right? Grin).

- I originally set the cap at 40 because I figured there would be a huge amount of no-shows... and sometimes I hate being right! By the time we finally ended registration and locked out new entrants, late, like at 1:05 PM instead of 12:45 PM, 13 bladers from the original list of 40 entrants hadn't shown up!
Sunset Blader and iikevin14 let us know they couldn't make it, either through a direct message or by messenger. That's understandable. But the rest of you? Either you didn't show up, or you arrived way too late. I get it, things happen. Honestly, I'm kind of glad we wound up with 32.

- We had to draw the line and stop tournament registrations 20 minutes after we were supposed to. We were running way late because of last minute people showing up without accounts, and people just kept trickling in after the deadline. For a few bladers, this was unfortunate because it means they did not get to participate in the tournament.
There's a big section written in the tournament post with some important details that many of you seem to have missed! Unhappy
"Time: As the tournament will start promptly at 1:00pm, please plan to arrive around 12:00pm when registration will begin. Registration will close at 12:45am. Confirming your attendance on the WBO event page does not substitute for registration at the venue, make sure you register at the main desk once you arrive."
If you register for the tournament online, and you show up after registration has closed, you won't be able to participate. We made a ton of exceptions as is. You have to register ahead of time AND register once you get there.
And it's not as if we didn't give you all fair warning! I said, over a megaphone, numerous times, "If you're here and haven't yet checked in to the organizer desk to make sure you're either registered or on the waitlist, you need to do that if you want to participate." I did this numerous times. I even called roll call of all registered bladers, and after which said "If you didn't hear your name and intend to participate in the tournament, come to the organizer's desk Now." And yet, somehow, people either ignored that or showed up after those announcements. And there's really nothing I can do about that, you did this to yourselves. I have an entire guide written about how to budget your time so that you arrive to an event on time. It's in my signature block, and your homework is to Click It and Read It. Parents, please read it too!

- There was one parent in particular who was REALLY upset by their blader being denied entry because they hadn't checked in before registration ended, and was projecting a lot of the anger he had for himself at having failed to bring his child to the tournament on time towards me. So that's a downer. But on the other hand? I had Lots of parents who messaged me about the tournament days and weeks in advance asking about the tournament and how to sign their kids up for it and showed a level of engagement and caring for their children and their hobbies which, quite honestly, I found inspiring. Some of them even went so far as to participate themselves and make it to the finals! So I'm Sorry to the parents whose bladers couldn't participate because they were really really late. But to all the other parents at the tournament today? You were all really cool. Probably one of the best groups of tournament parents I've ever encountered.

So yeah! It was a busy day! But you know what? I had fun. And I hope you did too.
A few other things I forgot to mention!

- I wore the Nintendo Power Glove in my quarterfinals match against Hello321. I lost! The Nintendo Power Glove is so bad.

- A lot of the really young bladers couldn't answer the simple question of "Can you please tell me your WBO account name?" If you can't remember the name you registered with, perhaps you are not ready to participate! Especially since we will be calling you to the tournament stadiums by that name. This was a common problem for bladers who had registered online ahead of time. Many parents said "It's the one associated with email address something@someplace.com", but we can't actually see people's emails. SOMEONE, either the blader or their parents, needs to know the account name. Which should be easy enough if you had actually registered for the tournament ahead of time, but even some of those bladers had difficulty remembering it. Bladers, please know who you are before arriving!
(Dec. 15, 2019  4:30 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: A few other things I forgot to mention!

- I wore the Nintendo Power Glove in my quarterfinals match against Hello321. I lost! The Nintendo Power Glove is so bad.
Power glove!?  With travel case!?
(Dec. 15, 2019  5:59 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Dec. 15, 2019  4:30 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: A few other things I forgot to mention!

Power glove!?  With travel case!?

No travel case, just the glove. Not in terrible condition either. It's so bad. And it didn't help me win! But, style.
(Dec. 15, 2019  6:04 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Dec. 15, 2019  5:59 PM)Shindog Wrote: Power glove!?  With travel case!?

No travel case, just the glove. Not in terrible condition either. It's so bad. And it didn't help me win! But, style.
Do ppl even recognize your awesomeness?  I would just concede to you if you extract the glove from case and don it in front on me.
(Dec. 15, 2019  6:07 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Dec. 15, 2019  6:04 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: No travel case, just the glove. Not in terrible condition either. It's so bad. And it didn't help me win! But, style.
Do ppl even recognize your awesomeness?  I would just concede to you if you extract the glove from case and don it in front on me.

Hello321 did not recognize the awesomeness. He did note that he was feeling intimidated by the presence of this strange and alarming glove on my right hand! But it did not stop him from eliminating me in the finals, like usual. It was close, but his Yegdrion combo I was not successful in knocking out. My attack launches weren't as good as they could've been.