WBO Organized Play Rule Updates Nov 2019: Ruling Simplifications & Clarifications

WBO Organized Play Rule Updates November 2019: Pick 3 Choose 1, Hybrid Driver, & More

Outlined below are several important new ruling additions, updates, and clarifications to some WBO Organized Play rulebooks and the Organizers' Guide. View all WBO Organized Play Rules & Resources here, and a summary of the changes below:

Updates Overview
  • IMPORTANT: All Rulebooks: “Spinning” Definition Update
  • IMPORTANT: Burst Format: Hybrid and Ignition’ Driver Ruling Clarification
  • IMPORTANT: Burst Classic Format: Ban List updates
  • Burst/Burst Classic Format: Deck Format - Part Repetition Restrictions Updated
  • Burst/Burst Classic Format: Driver Wear Regulations Update - Clarification on “Flat Bearing” and other worn parts
  • Burst Format: Maximum Garuda - God Chip Restrictions Lifted
  • Burst Format: Legend Spriggan/Legend Spryzen S3 - Mode Switching Restriction
  • Burst Format: Bullet Driver - Ruling Simplification
  • Burst Format: Level Chips - Using TAKARA-TOMY Level Chips with Hasbro “Beyblade Burst Turbo” Energy Layers Restriction Lifted
  • Organizer’s Guide: "Pick 3, Choose 1" playable in first stage for unranked events

All Rulebooks Updates

IMPORTANT: “Spinning” Definition Update
We have made a small addition to the definition of “Spinning” to all rulebooks.

The bold text in the following excerpt is the new addition:

Gameplay Appendix – Spinning Wrote:A Beyblade is still considered to be spinning as long as it is visibly rotating to any degree along the axis running directly through the center of the Beyblade faster than the rotation along the stadium floor in the same direction it was launched in.

This additional has been added largely to avoid any possible confusion with the Ignition’ Driver if it activates in the opposite direction at the end of a battle.

Burst Classic Format Updates

[Image: beyblade-burst-gaia-dragoon-layer.png][Image: beyblade-burst-metal-fight-remake-layers.jpg]

IMPORTANT: Burst Classic Format Ban List Updates
The following updates have been made to the Burst Classic Format ban list:

Illegal
Gaia Dragoon
Lightning L-Drago
Earth Aquila
Rock Leone
Flame Sagittario
Hybrid
Ignition’

Legal
All HyperSphere Drivers

As both Gaia Dragoon and the recently released Lightning L-Drago Layers far outweigh and overpower all other Layers that are legal in Burst Classic, they have been banned from the format.

This ban will also apply to the Earth Aquila, Rock Leone, and Flame Sagittario Layer remakes when they are released, as they are expected to have a similar weight and performance level to that of Storm Pegasis and Lightning L-Drago.

Likewise, the Hybrid and Ignition’ Drivers have been banned from Burst Classic. Their height and weight, as well as their motorized components, give them the ability to outspin virtually anything in the format and make them quite difficult to defeat with Attack, meaning they are too powerful to be legal in Classic.

Burst/Burst Classic Format Updates

[Image: beyblade-burst-hybrid-driver.png] [Image: beyblade-burst-ignition-dash-driver.png]

IMPORTANT: Burst Format: Hybrid and Ignition’ Driver ruling clarification

This has not been added into the Burst rulebook itself, but rather serves as a clarification for anyone that was wondering:

• Turning Hybrid or Ignition’ on or off constitutes a mode change that does not require disassembly, and therefore can be performed an unlimited amount of times and at any point during a match.
  • Changing the Driver’s spin direction constitutes a mode change that requires disassembly, and may only be performed once per match.

[Image: wbo-beyblade-burst-dash-and-regular-drivers-2.png]

Burst/Burst Classic Format: Deck Format - Part Repetition Restrictions Updated
Several part repetition restrictions have now been lifted or clarified for WBO Deck Format. The following parts may be used together in your deck:

• Any combination of Regular/Dash/SlingShock/HyperSphere Driver variants (ex. Using Jolt, Jolt’, Jolt-S in the same deck)
  • HyperSphere Disks alongside their original counterpart (ex. TAKARA-TOMY Blitz and Hasbro Blitz)
  • Orbit and Orbit Metal
  • Level Chips (no limit)

[Image: beyblade-burst-bearing-driver-original-illegal-wear.png] [Image: beyblade-burst-bearing-driver-new-illegal-wear.png]

Burst Standard/Burst Classic Format: Driver Wear Regulations Update - Clarification on “Flat Bearing” and other worn parts
We have clarified the rules regarding the legality of worn parts, in response to the “Flat Bearing” issue brought up by Virtuous Circle here.

Pictured on the left is what TAKARA-TOMY once considered an illegally worn Bearing, while what is now considered illegal currently is pictured on the right.

While it's obvious that both Bearings have been "intentionally worn down to affect shape or performance", the Bearing on the right has been "worn down to an extreme degree", and clearly attained its unnaturally worn state through methods other than repeated launching into a BeyStadium. A naturally worn Bearing would still retain the rounded shape of the Bearing on the left.

However, some Drivers, such as Volcanic' and Unite, do not reach their prime until they have been "intentionally worn down to affect shape or performance" by repeated launching into a BeyStadium, which would technically render them illegal by the WBO's rules up until now (which had stated “Beyblade parts that have worn down to an extreme degree, causing the part’s shape and/or performance to be drastically altered, may be rejected from WBO events”).

The rulings under “Driver Wear Regulations - Illegal” have been amended to the following:

WBO Organized Play Official Rulebook Wrote:
ILLEGAL
  • The tip has been worn down to the point that other structural parts of the Driver become the primary point of contact (ex. If the rubber on Jolt wears down completely and is parallel with the plastic casing surrounding it) or if structural parts such as screws are exposed.
  • Tips which have obviously been damaged or intentionally worn down to affect shape or performance through methods other than repeated launching in a Beyblade stadium (ex. sanding down a pointed tip to a flat surface or launching a Beyblade on concrete).

[Image: Beyblade-Burst-WBO-Maximum-Garuda-God-Ch...v-2019.png]

Burst Format: Maximum Garuda - God Chip Restrictions Lifted
The rule that prohibits Maximum Garuda from being used with any God Chip besides its stock God Chip and a Metal God Chip has been removed.

[Image: Beyblade-Burst-Legend-Spriggan-Layer.png]

Burst Format: Legend Spriggan/Legend Spryzen S3 - Mode Switching Restriction
Mode changing Legend Spriggan/Legend Spryzen S3 during a match is no longer permitted.

With this change, all Layers/Layer Bases with spin direction mode changes are now restricted from changing their mode during a match.

[Image: beyblade-burst-bullet-driver.png]

Burst Format: Bullet Driver - Ruling Simplification
The rules for the Bullet Driver have been simplified. Please see the complete ruling in the updated rulebooks.

Essentially, the ruling has been changed so that while the “Bullet” (the piece which detaches from the Driver) is considered an active piece in the stadium as part of the Bullet Driver combination in use while the top half (Layer, Disk, Driver Body) is still spinning, as soon as the top half is outspun, knocked-out, or bursted, the battle will end.

[Image: Beyblade-Burst-Turbo-Takara-Tomy-Level-C...ty-WBO.png]

Burst Format: Level Chips - Using TAKARA-TOMY Level Chips with Hasbro “Beyblade Burst Turbo” Energy Layers Restriction Lifted
TAKARA-TOMY Level Chips may now be used with Hasbro Layers.

Organizer’s Guide Updates

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

All Formats: "Pick 3, Choose 1" ruleset now playable in first stage of unranked events
The WBO is currently undergoing a trial run of an experimental change to the first stage of its tournaments, known as “Pick 3, Choose 1” (or P3C1 for short).

Under this ruleset, rather than relying on a single, double-blind selection during the First Stage, Bladers will instead assemble three Beyblade combos to reveal to their opponent prior to the match, and then make their final selection from the three presented combos.

This rule change is designed to make the first stage less luck-based and more knowledge-based. Keep in mind that P3C1 will only affect the first stage of tournaments, and the finals will still follow the WBO’s established Deck Format.

While we’re still working out the logistics on how P3C1 will be incorporated into ranked events in the future, Organizers are free to host unranked tournaments in the meantime to experiment with this new, strategic ruleset.

Click the button below to find the complete ruleset in the Organizer’s Guide.

Feedback?
If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.
ok
kei thank info
Also, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped to put this together! Wombat The Supreme One kjrules17 ~Mana~
Thanks for the update! I was wondering whether the electric drivers were going to be banned in Burst Standard or not! I’m also excited for P3C1!
Gucci to see. I'm glad that the new electronic drivers are banned from classic. They seemed pretty OP. Kinda sad about the lS3 regulation, but that's a whatever tbh, just makes me not want to risk that strategy.
I'm really happy about these rule changes! They all seem fair to the meta and reasonable
Hah! So much for my Neptune Hybrid combo.

Thank you for simplifying some of the more arcane rules. It'll be interesting to see how things evolve.
I like the new P3C1!

I was wondering whether it requires players to use the same three beyblade combos in the first stage?
You can change the 3 beys you bring to each match between rounds.
I like that level chips are now unlimited, but I am not a fan of the nerf to Bullet driver. I get that it was done for simplification of the rules, but it takes away from an already below average driver.
(Nov. 22, 2019  12:46 AM)g2_ Wrote: So Storm Pegasis is legal?

Not in classic, already banned.
(Nov. 22, 2019  1:07 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Nov. 22, 2019  12:46 AM)g2_ Wrote: So Storm Pegasis is legal?

Not in classic, already banned.

It doesn't mention it in the list above.
(Nov. 22, 2019  1:17 AM)g2_ Wrote:
(Nov. 22, 2019  1:07 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Not in classic, already banned.

It doesn't mention it in the list above.

Because it isn't changing from being unbanned to banned, it's already banned. Read the rules, it says under Banned Parts: "All Metal Fight Beyblade Remake Layers (Storm Pegasis etc.)"
(Nov. 21, 2019  11:08 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Thank you for simplifying some of the more arcane rules. It'll be interesting to see how things evolve.

You’re welcome! That was the name of the game here. Simplify everyone’s lives where possible.

(Nov. 22, 2019  12:53 AM)Mr. Palazzo Wrote: I like that level chips are now unlimited, but I am not a fan of the nerf to Bullet driver. I get that it was done for simplification of the rules, but it takes away from an already below average driver.

I was a big proponent for the original ruling, so I get where you’re coming from. However, as interesting as our original ruling was, at a certain point it just became too complex and not worth expecting every (volunteer) judge to understand the intricacies of it and evaluate it in real time.

So on second thought, we decided it would be best to keep things relatively simple for Bullet to avoid any possible errors or confusion.
The similar named driver thing is interesting, does that shift any particular strategies anyone can think of?
Interesting changes imma try and catch up to the meta hope to see y’all at the next tournament
Maybe it's just me, but under the Deck Building section of the burst standard rules, it looks like the prohibitions just reversed are still there, and the Garuda restriction, and all the specific parts restrictions are still there.
(Nov. 22, 2019  3:05 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Maybe it's just me, but under the Deck Building section of the burst standard rules, it looks like the prohibitions just reversed are still there, and the Garuda restriction, and all the specific parts restrictions are still there.

Fixed!
Wait, how come electric drivers are not banned or atleast, allowed without the "electric" thingy cuz if it' s used on Lord, then it will be the end.
(Nov. 29, 2019  2:20 PM)Aadi Lui Wrote: Wait, how come electric drivers are not banned or atleast, allowed without the "electric" thingy cuz if it' s used on Lord, then it will be the end.

No, we tested this. They're not that amazing. They decent, sometimes good, but far from overpowered.
I've griped against Volcanic' and its wear before, but I guess this rule change sorta shuts me up about it. Ah well, it's hardly the end of the world.

Bullet being nerfed is a thing, but not an important thing since it mostly sucks and the cases where the original ruling mattered were fringe. I get the point of it, though like Kei I do prefer the original ruling.

Also, I've seen Hybrid in action, and although it's good it's really not game-breakingly good. It can be KO'd. It can be bursted, and easily at that. Even more, it's easily destabilized, which can hinder its power severely. It's fine.
has anyone did stamina tests on Gaia dragoon? I know for sure it has poor stamina due to the distribution of weight.

I know how Jade Jupiter was permitted in limited because it was fair in terms of battle results.
(Dec. 01, 2019  1:55 AM)Siⱺn Wrote: has anyone did stamina tests on Gaia dragoon? I know for sure it has poor stamina due to the distribution of weight.

I know how Jade Jupiter was permitted in limited because it was fair in terms of battle results.
Trust me, if we can't get most of the turbo exclusives and other turbo layers from Hasbro unbanned in classic, a layer with metal on it is definitely gonna be a no no.