WBO Organized Play Official Rules & Discussion

Can you Judge your own match in Club Format (at least in Winning Streak)?
Hi, so the basic rules for Sr is that you can't change spin direction during a match, right?
SR: Can't change spin direction during match. Spin direction remains what it is when you revealed your bey.
ChoZ-S: Can't change spin direction during match. Spin direction remains what it is when you revealed your bey.
LS: Sr: Can change spin direction one time during match.
One further clarification: with Legend Spriggan/Spryzen, you have to declare the initial mode to the judge when you present your Beyblade for inspection. You cannot turn around and then switch it after seeing your opponent's Beyblade. At any point after the first round you can change it.

Please see the "Parts with Multiple Modes" section in the Burst Format Rulebook.
If you have multiples of hasbro beys, can you take them apart and switch the colors (in better words, the plastic clear outer shell and the inner colored plastic body) around?
for instance, what super beyblade family did with TT beys.
They would still be legal right?

Like with my rip fire achilles layer. i have the achilles slingshock that released in a single pack. I switched the red emblem from the normal achilles to the blue one on the rip fire one. Now the rip fire one has a red emblem on its shield instead of the blue one that it was originally released with. Would this still be tournament legal?
(Jun. 07, 2019  8:09 PM)LeonidasKerbeus Wrote: If you have multiples of hasbro beys, can you take them apart and switch the colors (in better words, the plastic clear outer shell and the inner colored plastic body) around?

Like with my rip fire achilles layer. i have the achilles slingshock that released in a single pack. I switched the red emblem from the normal achilles to the blue one on the rip fire one. Now the rip fire one has a red emblem on its shield instead of the blue one that it was originally released with. Would this still be tournament legal?

I asked something similar before. I was told that no modifications can be made whatsoever, although some judges don't check every single detail. The same thing goes for removing the little plastic piece that has the QR Codes on Hasbro Single and Dual Layers.
(Jun. 07, 2019  8:14 PM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote:
(Jun. 07, 2019  8:09 PM)LeonidasKerbeus Wrote: If you have multiples of hasbro beys, can you take them apart and switch the colors (in better words, the plastic clear outer shell and the inner colored plastic body) around?

I asked something similar before. I was told that no modifications can be made whatsoever, although some judges don't check every single detail. The same thing goes for removing the little plastic piece that has the QR Codes on Hasbro Single and Dual Layers.

oof there goes every single hasbro layer i have then
Uhh, can someone dumb down the rules for Deck Format and other formats for Burst?
In short:
  • All parts must be different across all three Beys in your deck (i.e: you can't use Atomic twice as all Drivers must be different).
  • After the initial reveal, both Blader's first Bey is picked in secret. (Double blind)
  • Bursts and KOs are 2 points. OS is 1 point. Winner is first to 5 points.
  • Loser of a battle chooses if they want a rematch with the same combos.
    • If not, the winner of the battle chooses first whether they're swapping to another Bey. The loser chooses after (as a counter pick).
  • Rinse and repeat until someone hits 5 points and wins.

Think that abouts sums it up.
(Jun. 09, 2019  11:56 PM)~Mana~ Wrote:

And No Contact KOs always count as one point
Could there be a rule that both Bladers should choose completely different combos if there are too many ties in a row? I went against LegendV3 in a tournament, and there were way too many ties in a row. In the end, he won, but that was after 15 to 20 rounds...
We briefly discussed it internally, but we have nothing to say on it at this time. Hopefully we'll have more soon!
Although ~Mana~ said we have nothing to say, I do want to add that it's also important to consider that maybe selecting different combos is not the solution, but ensuring judges understand how to call close matches and what constitutes a rotation is. For instance, I don't think I've ever seen a match go past like ... 12 rounds. And that is rare to the point that it feels like a non-issue to me.

In any case, we don't have any official ruling updates or clarifications to help with that at the moment ... but hopefully soon!
Greetings,

I have experience running events and tournaments related to video games. I was aiming to run a burst tournament within one of these video game tournaments as a side event.

I would like to know if I am able to use the WBO Ruleset and Guidelines to run a fully non-sanctioned event. Basically as a template. WBO and any related parties would be credited and it would be explicitly stated that the tournament is not directly related to WBO.

In the future I do intended to become a fully fledged WBO Organizer and hope to hold more accessible tournaments for bladers and blader families in my area.
(Jun. 24, 2019  6:59 PM)joyos Wrote: Greetings,

I have experience running events and tournaments related to video games.  I was aiming to run a burst tournament within one of these video game tournaments as a side event.

I would like to know if I am able to use the WBO Ruleset and Guidelines to run a fully non-sanctioned event.  Basically as a template.  WBO and any related parties would be credited and it would be explicitly stated that the tournament is not directly related to WBO.

In the future I do intended to become a fully fledged WBO Organizer and hope to hold more accessible tournaments for bladers and blader families in my area.

Hey joyos, thanks for reaching out to us! Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

While we would greatly prefer for you to be a WBO Organizer before using our rules and guidelines, if you need to do it as an unsanctioned event first I would ask that you do not use any of our actual documents as online or printed reference material if you decide to do so at your event or in your discussions about the event off-site. This will help avoid any confusion as to whether it has been sanctioned by us or not. You would have to explain the rules yourself at the event (while crediting the WBO). You also may not advertise the event on worldbeyblade.org as another measure to help avoid confusion that we may be sanctioning it.

That being said, we'd be happy to help you however we can with working towards becoming a WBO Organizer so that you can become a bigger part of our community and take advantage of everything we have to offer: Top 10 Reasons To Host Your Beyblade Tournament With worldbeyblade.org.

Here is the high level overview of the process:
All of the information you need should be in our Organizer's Guide and on the Become an Organizer page, but if you have any further questions please feel free to post here or ask one of our Organized Play Contributors (Wombat, The Supreme One, OldSchool™).

Hopefully this helps. We'd love to see you as a WBO Organizer soon!
Kei,

I am located in Florida, USA.

Thank you very much for your input.  I assumed I should ask as I am not trying to step on anyone's toes.

The reason why this would be an unaffiliated, unsanctioned event is because it would probably be held at night during one of the days of the event, and due to a required event pass it seems like it would be a very steep cost (both time and money) for potential competitors attending ONLY for a Beyblade event.

(Jun. 24, 2019  8:56 PM)Kei Wrote: While we would greatly prefer for you to be a WBO Organizer before using our rules and guidelines, if you need to do it as an unsanctioned event first I would ask that you do not use any of our actual documents as online or printed reference material if you decide to do so at your event or in your discussions about the event off-site. This will help avoid any confusion as to whether it has been sanctioned by us or not. You would have to explain the rules yourself at the event (while crediting the WBO). You also may not advertise the event on worldbeyblade.org as another measure to help avoid confusion that we may be sanctioning it.

This is perfect, thank you again.

One additional question, is it any issue if I point any interested parties to this website?
joyos Thanks for asking! I just hope we can help you eventually become a WBO Organizer as we'd love to see some activity in Florida again.

You would be surprised how many people are willing to attend an event and purchase a pass solely to participate in a Beyblade event. As an example, we've done that for over ten years now at Anime North here in Toronto. So, I wouldn't discount that possibility. Here's my report from this year's edition in May: https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Toronto...SC-BST-MFL

It's also important to note that if you host at a convention or something of that nature, there doesn't necessarily need to be a WBO entry fee (although at the moment this isn't required for any events temporarily) if you talk to us about that beforehand when proposing it.

Absolutely, please do direct them to worldbeyblade.org.

If there's anything we can do to help you through the process of becoming an Organizer, let us know.
Why are digital control beys banned if you don’t use the app they’re just regular beys but a bit taller

Also are the launchers that come with the digital control Beyblades allowed

Please tell me they are
Digital control beys have weight differences, haven't undergone extensive testing, and could potentially be remotely activated in the middle of a match. Plus, a height difference.

I'm not certain if the digital bey launchers are prohibited. Please consult the rules and check carefully.
(Jun. 28, 2019  2:22 PM)DaGoldenPenguin Wrote: Why are digital control beys banned if you don’t use the app they’re just regular beys but a bit taller

Also are the launchers that come with the digital control Beyblades allowed

Please tell me they are

The launchers and Energy Layers are allowed, but the Forge Disks and Performance Tips aren’t, even if they’re not connected to the app. I haven’t heard an official reason, but I reckon it’s because they’re not main-line products.. The same goes for the RipFire Beys, which also have pretty good LAD.
The tiebreaker rules are as follows in the Organizers Guide
"Tied Records
If there are any ties, follow these tiebreaking procedures to break the tie. Start with number one on the list for the format you are running and move your way down the list to the next tiebreaking factor if the previous one did not break the tie:

Swiss Format
1. Overall Score/win record
2. Challonge TB column (Only if the players in question have match history)
3. Buchholz: Look at the Bucholz column in Challonge. Whichever player has a higher score here will advance to the finals.
4. Seeding: Higher seed retains higher spot if above factors are all tied (Only if determining the order of two participants already guaranteed a spot in the finals).
5. Tiebreak Match: Perform a tiebreak match (or round robin in the case of three or more tied participants) to determine who will advance to the finals (Only if there is a tiebreak which involves two or more players on the edge of making the finals or not).
"

Step 2 is unclear. Indicate precisely who "The Players In Question" are. Assume there is a tournament with one person with a 5-0 record, 5 people with 4-1 records, and 8 people with 3-2 records.
(Jun. 10, 2019  2:48 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: Could there be a rule that both Bladers should choose completely different combos if there are too many ties in a row? I went against LegendV3 in a tournament, and there were way too many ties in a row. In the end, he won, but that was after 15 to 20 rounds...

In my tournament we have something called force switch. That way after 3 ties we have to switch to a completely different bey
(Jul. 07, 2019  8:38 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Step 2 is unclear. Indicate precisely who "The Players In Question" are. Assume there is a tournament with one person with a 5-0 record, 5 people with 4-1 records, and 8 people with 3-2 records.

Hi DeceasedCrab,

I responded about this in the other thread you asked about it (regarding https://challonge.com/Returnofthesupremeone):

(Jul. 08, 2019  2:30 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  1:42 AM)OldSchool™ Wrote: The players in question are whom have EQUAL amount of wins vying for top 8.  IE the SCORE column.
If their are players tied for top 8 placement, check if they have TB with each other.
Lastly, if they DO NOT have a TB with each other (have not faced each other in the event so far), the Blader with the HIGHER Buchholz score is placed above the other. IE advances.
Easy and simple system. Joyful_3

Regardless of how Challonge places Bladers based on TB, BUCHHOLZ takes priority if Bladers with same score have not faced each other. Understand? Wink

Yeah, in this case Hyper xeno and RyanTheDragon had match history with only select players who also had 3-2 records. As a result, the TB column does not factor in when determining finalists based on our rules. It is only for when two specific players are tied and vying for a spot in the finals (or if there's something crazy like three players with tied records all with match history with one of the other two players tied with them).

If there's other players tied with them that they don't have match history with, Bucholz takes precedence. That means in this case Hyper xeno (8th with 11.0 Bucholz) and Wombat (7th with 12.0 Bucholz) would advance since they have the highest Bucholz of the tied 3-2 players vying for the 7th and 8th spots in the finals.

The "players in question" are those who have tied records with the same "Overall Score/win record". You are not questioning players who are not tied in that way.

If the "players in question" are 8 people with 3-2 records and they don't all have match history, then you would skip #2 because it says "only if the players in question have match history". Bucholz becomes the deciding factor, as it did in the example that came up today. The TB column doesn't matter under WBO rules if only a specific selection of players that are tied have match history because the strength and performance of a player is not related to whether or not someone with the same record as them beat someone else with the same record as them; there is no relationship. Bucholz becomes our tiebreaking factor of choice because it reflects the overall strength of the opponents they played throughout the event.

However, I understand this is a complex issue and I can understand why it might be confusing at first. If you'd like to make any suggestions for how we could more clearly word it, please feel free to let us know!
2. Challonge TB column (But only if at least one player involved in the tie had matches against every other player in the tie)
I think if we were to revize the way the rules were worded for this, it should go something like this:

1. Overall Score/win record
  2. Buchholz: Look at the Bucholz column in Challonge. Whichever player has a higher score here will advance to the finals.
    • Challonge TB column: If a player with a lower Buchholz value has beaten one with the same win record and a higher value head-to-head, that player advances over the one with the higher Buchholz value.
  3. Seeding: Higher seed retains higher spot if above factors are all tied (Only if determining the order of two participants already guaranteed a spot in the finals).
  4. Tiebreak Match: Perform a tiebreak match (or round robin in the case of three or more tied participants) to determine who will advance to the finals (Only if there is a tiebreak which involves two or more players on the edge of making the finals or not).

The exact wording might need some tweaking but I think changing the order of the evaluation and making the TB column more of a "unless" situation better communicates what the rules are supposed to mean.