Toronto Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: Beyblade Zone

[Image: vP9I5LR.jpg]

TORONTO BEYBLADE BURST TOURNAMENT REPORT

May 12, 2018 at High Park in Toronto, Ontario, Canada • BURST FORMAT
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGE

-

[Image: vIR1LpJ.jpg]

Hot off the heels of the banning of Spriggan Requiem, Maximum Garuda, and Garuda G3, there was a lot of excitement heading into this event. The possibilities for what parts could become competitive again or for the first time seemed limitless. Inevitably, such possibilities would be diminished slightly, but this was the event for everyone to figure out what the game would now look like moving forward.

After the nearly (Toronto) record-breaking Z Comes Before A, we ended up with “only” 29 players for this event, which allowed us to run Swiss Format for the first time in a few months. This might have had something to do with it being Mother’s Day weekend, though.

First Stage

Throughout the first stage, Emperor Forneus on Bearing along with left- and right-spin Destroy variants were the MVPs for most of the top players. That being said, I lost in shocking fashion in the first round to a bK on Hunter with my dF.7B.Ds via three near instant burst finishes (final score 3-1) despite weak launching. This really made me wary of using the combo (especially since it hadn’t been viable with Sr around), but in retrospect I believe it had something to do with the red Drain Fafnir. It seems to be easier to burst than the original one …

I was able to come back and win my next four matches however to advance to the finals with a record of 4-1.

[Image: ylROIPn.jpg]

During the first stage, an issue we ran into was worn and fake parts from multiple participants (ex. There was a Destroy that was super worn down, a fake Legend Spriggan, fake launcher, fake grip). In two cases, we didn’t catch this until the next round or two after they had already used it … We’ve very rarely ran into this issue over the past few years, but especially now with more kids joining than ever before, I’d like to stress the importance of checking all parts used by players very carefully to all judges and Organizers. I’ll probably be making a thread about this sometime soon as well. Especially in Swiss Format which we were playing, discovering an issue like this later on is kind of fatal because all of the matches that happened after it would have to be re-done. We still haven’t decided how we’ll handle the processing of the results for this event because of this.

In reaction to this, I added in a section about fake/worn parts to my pre-tournament speech for BEYBLADE NORTH 2018, but we ran into the issue again. More about that in my next report.

Finals

As much as I was excited for the tournament in general, I knew that as always the first stage would be dominated by relatively safe combos. My excitement was directed more towards Deck Format due to the higher level of strategy it requires.

[Image: s4cqaFP.jpg]

Bloody Longinus had just been released as well, and while in some testing conducted by participants before the tournament the general feeling towards bL was not too great, the Jolt Driver did make an impact. One of the things leading up to the release of bL.13.Jl that was interesting was the possibility of an Xtreme + Jolt based deck. Previously, it wasn’t possible to have both a left- and right-spin attack type in your deck on two proper “rubber flat” Drivers since there wasn’t truly another Driver similar to Xtreme.

Nobody else ended up trying this, but after narrowly defeating Mati 5-4 to advance to the semi-finals (interestingly, his nL Hunter was able to burst/KO my cR on Destroy more easily than I anticipated), I ended up giving it a try against both OldSchool™ and Cam77. In both matches I definitely always had a great chance to win or jump ahead, but upon reflection realize that such a deck does demand a relatively high level of skill from the user. If the user has that, there isn’t too much the opponent can do assuming that the attack types they’ve chosen are good against most of their opponent’s deck. It also shuts down any Hunter/Zephyr/stationary etc based attack combos too given the speed of X and Jl.

In this case, I just wasn’t able to overcome OldSchool™’s eF.7G.At with tN on Jolt, and Cam77’s dF.4F.Ds with nL on Xtreme (which was perhaps more shocking than the loss of tN vs. eF because I had multiple chances to win the match … although Cam did get a bit lucky in some rounds). I ended up losing both matches by a score of 5-3. I  was impressed by eF.7G.At’s overall defense and stamina during the finals. Especially in the match against OldSchool™, I think I let myself get a bit too hyped up on the possibilities of a Jolt/Xtreme-based deck, and then towards the end of the match when a safe route would have been using the eF.7B.Br in my deck (since OldSchool™ had no attack types in his deck at all), I decided to take an uncharacteristic risk and try using Attack to finish him off. That being said, despite the resulting frustration of losing in large part due to this, I think that we do need to take risks sometimes to not only challenge and surprise our opponents, but to challenge ourselves as well. So, it was a valuable experience nevertheless.

[Image: vZbg73f.jpg]

In the final match Justin TC actually defeated OldSchool™ 5-4 thanks in large part to some quick KOs with nL versus OldSchool™’s eF.7G.At … but afterwards it was discovered that Justin TC had borrowed parts from someone and accidentally didn’t announce it (which he admitted) as he had borrowed the part earlier in the event. So we were forced to re-do the match due to the WBO’s borrowing rules. OldSchool™ then proceeded to win 5-4 … although he could have easily lost towards the end when Justin TC had an opportunity to switch to eF.0G.Br to shut down OldSchool™ instead of opting for the more risky nL. I felt bad for Justin, but the rules are the rules and in any case, given that it was I believe his second tournament ever, he did great to make it that far!

Overall, after this event I was satisfied with the much wider range of competitive combinations and play styles which were viable due to the absence of Sr/mG/G3. Even though I lost with Xtreme/Jolt in the finals, pretty much every deck had one of them present in some fashion and they seemed a lot more viable than in recent Sr/mG/G3 filled tournaments. Drain Fafnir, Emperor Forneus, Shadow Orichalcum, Deep Chaos, Twin Nemesis, Nightmare Longinus, and even Crash Ragnaruk found success throughout the event.

However, the historically international BEYBLADE NORTH 2018 and the inevitable mixing of ideas from around the globe was just around the corner …

Winning Combinations

1st: OldSchool™
Drain Fafnir 0 Bump Destroy
Emperor Forneus 0 Bump Bearing
Shadow Orichalcum 0 Bump Destroy
Emperor Forneus 7 Glaive Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir 4 Glaive Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: Justin TC
Emperor Forneus 7 Yard
Screw Trident 0 Atomic
Nightmare Longinus Vortex Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)
Emperor Forneus 0 Glaive Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)
Deep Chaos 7 Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd: Cam77
Emperor Forneus 7 Star Bearing
Drain Fafnir 4 Flow Destroy (Deck Format Finals Only)
Twin Nemesis 5 Revolve (Deck Format Finals Only)
Twin Nemesis 0 Bump Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)

Photos
[Image: Khqmz94.jpg]

[Image: Rc952op.jpg]

[Image: PGBsUn5.jpg]

[Image: My79RR3.jpg]

[Image: OnXTgGV.jpg]

[Image: slgOWDQ.jpg]

[Image: RFGMZKj.jpg]

[Image: ylROIPn.jpg]

[Image: vgmfmK9.jpg]

[Image: A36wUpu.jpg]

[Image: 57CVci9.jpg]

[Image: XbyYuMu.jpg]

[Image: kovGdRU.jpg]

[Image: 7O3F7Pc.jpg]

[Image: pZA75hG.jpg]

[Image: tcT55ZS.jpg]

[Image: OJMFc7H.jpg]

[Image: drf1quK.jpg]

[Image: rJeBkQD.jpg]

[Image: jvdnCkm.jpg]

Deck Format Finals
[Image: xEtVsHr.jpg]

[Image: jzlWbad.jpg]

[Image: ORGDahI.jpg]

[Image: pUSSfM2.jpg]

[Image: mPF1R05.jpg]

[Image: cJnPsbq.jpg]

[Image: h8hEhwb.jpg]

[Image: 8WCQHau.jpg]

[Image: m5rOC4Z.jpg]

[Image: lA6DEtu.jpg]

[Image: JJUF5Qq.jpg]

[Image: IQkQYPf.jpg]

[Image: 7KkheLB.jpg]

[Image: QVMCIso.jpg]

[Image: kLqYyZu.jpg]

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
From the pictures I'm assuming there were a lot of gZ combos
How baldy worn down was that Destroy Driver?

Not many Sieg Xcalibur combinations or were they shut out by Emperor Forneus and Drain Fafnir?

As for the Red Drain Fafnir. It seems to be "Clear Teeth Syndrome" again or something like that
Great and in-depth report as always!

Props to my sO for showing up to this event. hehe
Having only 29 players was a well-needed break. I wish I was hosting xD
Now onto the next one ^_^
(May. 30, 2018  7:27 PM)TechnicalBlader Wrote: From the pictures I'm assuming there were a lot of gZ combos

Galaxy Zeus? There was none as far as I know. I think you're actually referring to the Emperor Forneus everywhere in the photos.

(May. 30, 2018  9:04 PM)MonoDragon Wrote: How baldy worn down was that Destroy Driver?

Not many Sieg Xcalibur combinations or were they shut out by Emperor Forneus and Drain Fafnir?

As for the Red Drain Fafnir. It seems to be "Clear Teeth Syndrome" again or something like that

It was like half the height of the regular tip, and deformed a bit ... pretty bad.

Not much sX for some reason. I don't think that's necessarily because it's bad. Twin Nemesis just caught on a lot more in the finals.

Yeah, I guess so! I feel like that was something we had started to realize before Sr came out, but I had completely forgotten about it since it had been around five months since I last really used it in a tournament ...
I don't get the point of revolve on twin nemesis
(May. 31, 2018  4:07 AM)Crimson Chin Wrote: I don't get the point of revolve on twin nemesis

Twin Nemesis has high Stamina and strong teeth, plus its Upper Mode can work with or without momentum. So basically by putting Twin Nemesis on Revolve, you'll get a Stamina Type that will destabilize the opponent and is very hard to Burst