Toronto Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: BEYBALDE TOURNAMENT

[Image: GFmhGXn.jpg]

TORONTO BEYBLADE BURST TOURNAMENT REPORT
August 27, 2017 at Dufferin Grove Park in Toronto, Ontario Canada • BURST FORMAT
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGERESULTS SPREADSHEET

-

[Image: zb2XiUL.jpg]

This is the first of four reports from 2017 tournaments that I missed doing after they happened. Stay tuned for the rest coming soon!

The name for this event was inspired by a post made on one of Beyblade’s official social media channels in which they wrote “Beybalde” instead of “Beyblade” (which they later fixed, but not before we saw it and immortalized it with this tournament name!).

This particular event took place just two weeks after Wait, what? This isn’t High Park…, an event which was notable for being the first in Toronto to feature the infamous Maximum Garuda. It was also JesseObre’s birthday and we surprised him with some cupcakes before the event! kerpao, 1234beyblade, and I actually first went to the final stop of Hasbro’s Beyblade Burst Tour right before the event at a Wal-Mart, but we couldn’t register to play because all of their scheduled tournaments for the day were full. It was disappointing that we weren’t able to play, but I was happy to see how many people had shown up and how much the tour had grown since attending the first stop in May.

[Image: iX2uYAS.jpg]

We saw Zankye’s father there covering the event too and I spoke with him briefly. We hung around for a while doing free play, but then we picked up the cupcakes and headed over to Dufferin Grove Park where this tournament was to take place. Unfortunately, on our way over, Jesse called me and I said I had “just woke up” despite kerpao sending photos of us earlier on Facebook at the Beyblade Burst Tour event LOL. Exposed.

During the WBO event, Maximum Garuda actually didn’t feel as dominant as it ultimately did later on in the year at our previous event, and it continued into this event with a wide variety of combos on display, as you can see by the Winning Combinations list below and the reaction I posted after the event:

(Aug. 28, 2017  2:33 AM)Kei Wrote: Really great tournament today. The balance in the metagame that I spoke about in my previous post is becoming even more evident now, and it's been a lot of fun. It honestly might be the best it's been since the short period between when Odin was originally banned and before Dark Deathscyther was released. People were very afraid of Drain Fafnir when it was released, and have freaked out about Maximum Garuda, but being where we are now, to me it's clear that TAKARA-TOMY has done a good job of creating a new metagame that is fair and balanced to all types (with perhaps pure defense being the least viable because Legend Spriggan tears through almost everything, but that's OK given that lS is an Attack type and takes a certain level of skill to use; it's certainly better than having the high-stamina high-defense D2 which was extremely difficult to deal with in a consistent manner for almost all Attack types).

For any wondering: my usage of gZ today was as a counter to gK on Revolve (it seems to be able to Burst or destabilize/OS it pretty consistently), and lS on Impact was kind of a joke 1234beyblade made yesterday when we were testing, but the incredible speed of Impact when tornado stalling allows it to outrun the popular Xtreme variant pretty well. Because lS also has such a strong match-up against gK (and many other Beyblades), you can get away with using Impact against them too as well I found in the little testing I did.

In any case, I'm not too sold on the defensive ability of gZ and was admittedly lucky to win a match-up against lS when pyrus10000 used it in our block, but it's proficiency against gK, being able to have a chance against stuff like dF on Atomic (JesseObre beat my dF Atomic in one round of our finals match-up with his gZ Atomic), and also seemingly better stamina than aC in the testing I did made it an attractive choice for today.

I think the issue after this event however became that we discovered Guardian Kerbeus wasn’t able to actually consistently outspin mG; I think initially when using mG we weren’t launching as hard as we actually could against it because we were afraid of being bursted. gK being able to OS mG didn’t actually become possible in my opinion until the release of Ωuter, which I used to my advantage at Kei vs. The World: NYC. In any case, looking back on the winning combinations from this event, it’s thrilling to see just how much diversity there was despite any potential ignorance on our part about the gK vs. mG match-up. I miss the feeling we had back then when Legend Spriggan was just tearing through everything; I feel like it would have been even more powerful had it not been for Maximum Garuda.

Winning Combinations

1st: Kei
Galaxy Zeus 2 Meteor Atomic
Maximum Garuda (Metal God Chip) 4 Glaive Atomic
Drain Fafnir (Metal God Chip) 4 Glaive Atomic
Guardian Kerbeus 4 Glaive Revolve
Legend Spriggan 7 Meteor Impact (Deck Format Finals Only)
Maximum Garuda 4 Glaive Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)
Galaxy Zeus 7 Meteor Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir (Metal God Chip) 2 Cross Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: 1234beyblade
Legend Spriggan 7 Glaive Xtreme
Alter Chronos 7 Glaive Atomic
Alter Chronos 7 Glaive Revolve
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Atomic
Guardian Kerbeus Heavy Revolve (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir 4 Meteor Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd: Newtype
Legend Spriggan 7 Cross Xtreme
Alter Chronos 7 Meteor Orbit
Legend Spriggan 7 Meteor Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)
Guardian Kerbeus Heavy Revolve (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir 2 Cross Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)

Photos

[Image: hHxxIKe.jpg]

[Image: 4AqOvrw.jpg]

[Image: V7hXl3I.jpg]

[Image: x1jEMAG.jpg]

[Image: cTWAeSx.jpg]

[Image: SGbQzRr.jpg]

[Image: JxSP8J5.jpg]

[Image: XIS93Ex.jpg]

[Image: JymwpUy.jpg]

[Image: cZnItTr.jpg]

[Image: BH4URdu.jpg]

Deck Format Finals
[Image: w5yJIoZ.jpg]

[Image: sYG9L8D.jpg]

[Image: 0NcPpVD.jpg]

[Image: exFdbAi.jpg]

[Image: yGXT1WV.jpg]

[Image: O8Uj4Pw.jpg]

[Image: Kmb6MPB.jpg]

[Image: hINLRmb.jpg]

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
Great report, as always! Those chocolate cupcakes were so good!