Toronto Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: Hasbro Bursts RARELY Onto the Scene

[Image: AePqhrk.png]

TORONTO BEYBLADE BURST
TOURNAMENT REPORT

April 23, 2017 at High Park in Toronto, Ontario Canada • BURST FORMAT (Hasbro Only)
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGERESULTS SPREADSHEET

-

Check out the tournament video above that I put together for the WBO Youtube Channel, and then read on below for more details about this event went!

This was the WBO’s first-ever Hasbro Only Burst Format event. What this means precisely is the following is used/legal:

• TAKARA-TOMY Standard Type BeyStadium
  • Both TAKARA-TOMY and Hasbro Launchers/Grips
  • Only Hasbro Energy Layers and Performance Tips
  • Both TAKARA-TOMY and Hasbro Disks.

Why Hasbro Only Burst Format?
Ever since Hasbro’s version of Beyblade Burst launched in Canada in August of 2016 and it was discovered that the Layers had no teeth and would be incompatible with TAKARA-TOMY parts (sans Disks), there has been worry amongst the community regarding the viability of a cross-brand format. This fear was only strengthened upon the most comprehensive initial batch of cross-brand testing that Bey Brad, 1234beyblade, and myself conducted less than a month later when it was discovered that in general, “Hasbro Beyblade Burst loses more often than TAKARA-TOMY Beyblade Burst”.

Since I made that initial assertion, there has been some minor exceptions that would allow for Hasbro Beyblade Burst to be competitive in a cross-brand format (Valtryek on Variable in particular, in my opinion), but generally speaking, it’s clear now that you need TAKARA-TOMY parts if you want to win consistently in the regular Burst Format.

[Image: f9WVtuq.jpg]

Thankfully, we also thought to introduce this Hasbro Only Burst Format as a way of combating this issue. It allows for a more even playing field amongst all players, especially kids who might not be able to import TAKARA-TOMY products. I personally was surprised that it even took this long for the first one to be hosted for this reason. I understand that a good portion of our community is comprised of hardcore players like myself who will import all of the latest new releases, and might not want to buy everything again, but the more I think about it, the more we integrate the Hasbro Only Burst Format into our schedule of events in Toronto, the better. That is, if we want to expand our communities and be more welcoming to everyone. Which I think we do.

And not only that; Hasbro Beyblade Burst is so different that it presents new challenges competitively for everyone. It’s almost a new game in that respect because so many of the parts perform differently than their TT counterparts, as you’ll discover when I dive into the details of the matches played at this event. With all of these things in mind, I think our Organizers and organizer hopefuls should start putting more thought into hosting a Hasbro Only Burst Format event of their own.

The Tournament
After our first couple outdoor tournaments of 2017 were played in relatively dreary, rainy weather, we finally had an incredibly nice, sunny day for this event. As a result, we moved out from the shelter we normally play in.

[Image: sokBg12.jpg]

First Stage: Round Robin
Unfortunately, even with the beautiful weather we only had eight participants as several of our regular members couldn’t make it. But, we pressed on and began the tournament playing a full round robin!

Prior to this event, I had done some extensive Hasbro Beyblade Burst testing as it had been a while since playing with the system as a whole in a competitive mindset. There was also a lot of new parts I hadn’t really tested yet (Dark Doomscizor, Yegdrion, Minoboros, Wild Wyvron, etc). In my testing, I was shocked to discover that Yegdrion on Zephyr could outspin almost anything and do a good job of evading Attack types as well. So, at this event I ended up using YKZ for almost all of my battles in the round robin first stage:

• BAWB18 (Storm Spryzen Knuckle Zephyr) vs. Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr: 3-1 Kei
  • 1234beyblade (Roktavor Heavy Zephyr) vs. Kei (Unicrest Gravity Revolve):  3-0 Kei
  • Mitsu (Victory Valtryek Spread Zephyr) vs. Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr):  3-0 Kei
  • Hunter08 (Wild Wyvron Gravity Revolve) vs. Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr): 3-1 Kei
  • EX139 (Unicrest Armed Unite) vs. Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr): 3-2 Kei
  • OldSchool (Roktavor Heavy Accel) vs. Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr) 3-0 Kei
  • Jameschaos (Raging Roktavor ? Variable) vs. Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr) 3-0 Kei

Ran into almost zero issues whatsoever, except about EX139’s UAU for some reason … I chose UGR against 1234beyblade because I wasn’t sure I’d OS him with YKZ if he chose something on Survive or Revolve. Luckily for me, even though Roktavor does well against Unicrest, 1234beyblade mistakenly chose Zephyr instead of Accel, making it harder for him to hit me.

[Image: e9CFlYn.jpg]

We did discover after the tournament that Kerbeus can actually OS Yegdrion, so it’s possible Kerbeus on Zephyr could be good too. Nobody else in this tournament except Hunter08 had Yegdrion, so there wasn’t much anyone could do against YKZ since nobody knew that Kerbeus was cabable of OSing it (funnily enough, Kerbeus was one of the two Layers alongside Horusood that I didn’t buy initially last year).

As for the other battles played in the round robin that didn’t involve myself, there was a high amount of Roktavor and Unicrest usage in general. Victory Valtryek and Valtryek were also seen for Attack at times too.

In one battle as you can see in the video, Hunter08 was surprisingly able to beat Mitsu’s Unicrest on Revolve with Wild Wyvron via burst finishes. That said, I don’t think this would be reliable in general.

Second Stage: Deck Format Finals

I was pretty confident going into the finals having gone undefeated in the first stage, but by that point everyone had sort of caught on to my usage of YKZ and Mitsu borrowed Yegdrion from Hunter08 without me knowing for our match-up … I won the first round with YKZ against his UGR, but he ultimately was able to win the battle likely due to his YHZ being tighter than mine (something I will talk about afterwards) … For this battle I had also chosen to use D2HS as an alternative to UGR as I had found that D2 had slightly better stamina than Unicrest despite being easier to burst. Unluckily for me, even YHZ was able to burst it in our battle lol.

[Image: 5vX5uwj.jpg]

After losing to Mitsu I was paired with 1234beyblade for our 3rd place battle. He had mentioned before our battle that King Kerbeus did well against Roktavor in comparison to Unicrest, so of course I took advantage and chose it (K2GD) for my deck since he had been using Roktavor all day haha. He did the same too (K2GR), probably because I had used Roktavor in my deck in the previous round.

I was able to ultimately win the battle largely because of YKZ; it was able to outrun/resist his RHA, OS his D2KZ if he had used it, and OS his K2GR.

For the final match, Mitsu was paired up against OldSchool. I tried to help OldSchool before the battle, but knew that ultimately I had no solid counter for YKZ at the time … In retrospect I probably could have just given him something like YHS or YHR, but we were all so focused on the Zephyr variant at the time that it didn’t come to mind. Mitsu’s launch was a bit stronger than OldSchool’s, so he was able to actually win against YHZ with his UGR this time. Then, the rest of the battle was largely just like the battle I had with Mitsu in the first round of the finals; Mitsu was able to win largely because his YHZ was tighter than OldSchool’s.

You can see the Decks that were used throughout the finals below:

Mitsu vs. Kei
[Image: LW3bQdf.jpg]

[Image: fnKcxUL.jpg]

1234beyblade vs. OldSchool
[Image: b2WbWRb.jpg]

[Image: 9rvCXlV.jpg]

1234beyblade vs. Kei (3rd/4th Place Battle)
[Image: ijUp6xZ.jpg]

[Image: rwv8BeB.jpg]

Mitsu vs. OldSchool (1st/2nd Place Battle)
[Image: X8eumb5.jpg]

[Image: hXrLAKr.jpg]

Final Thoughts
In many ways, playing Hasbro Only Burst Format was like going back to the very beginnings of Beyblade Burst; a time when nothing really felt completely overpowered and “easy” to use (like D2 is in the current regular Burst Format metagame). But it was also so much more complex because the pool of parts was larger.

After my experience at this event, part of me feels like Hasbro–whether intentionally done or not–has created a more balanced metagame with the changes they made to certain parts like Doomscizor and Dark Doomscizor. In some cases these changes probably went too far, but overall, the sense I got from this tournament was that the metagame was relatively balanced. Stamina felt useful enough while still being vulnerable, Attack was potent, and Defense (well, at least Mobile Defense) was viable.

The only downside is the role I feel part tightness plays in the competitive viability of a combo … from my perspective in the finals, part tightness (how tightly the parts fit together, which is largely determined by the Disk) is the precise reason why some battles were won or lost. Is this a better or worse problem than teeth wear on early TAKARA-TOMY Beyblade Burst releases and the fragility of some TT Layers? Hard to say. Still, I feel if anything this tournament proved that Hasbro Burst can be played competitively and that most importantly, it can be fun! I would love to see more communities give it a shot in the future.

Videos by Mitsu

More Photos

[Image: mfG2Hyl.jpg]

[Image: cqcjkmn.jpg]

[Image: TbaPevN.jpg]

[Image: 4IVhQFV.jpg]

[Image: cLyd2nh.jpg]

[Image: Tbh7Pg3.jpg]

[Image: rkcrGSH.jpg]

[Image: Id7eZ0W.jpg]

[Image: imHfQp0.jpg]

[Image: EZZDu3u.jpg]

Winning Combinations

1st: Mitsu
Valtryek V2 Spread Zephyr
Unicrest Gravity Revolve
Yegdrion Heavy Zephyr (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: OldSchool
Roktavor Heavy Accel
Doomscizor Gravity Revolve
Valtryek Heavy Revolve

3rd: Kei
Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr
Unicrest Gravity Revolve

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Toronto Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Toronto Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
Great report, Kei!

To be quite frank, I had been feeling super down about Beyblade Burst as a whole up until this event. Even with the first three Layers of the God series treating me rather nicely, it hit me harder than ever that competitive Beyblade is a pay-to-win game, to some degree. I'm at the point where–as a 15 year old lacking in a payed job–I can't really financially keep up with the game and others I've grown to like (even just as much as this one!) at the same time. 

Going into this event, I had practiced with the seven Burst Beyblades from Hasbro that I had owned. I had several concerns, even just intending on observing and experimenting with this new game play.

a) Not owning Doomscizor D2 would land me into trouble, after receiving Hato's ''A-ok'' on it 
b) Unicrest or Roktavor R2 wouldn't fare me as nearly as well 

Boy, was I proved wrong. Boy, was I glad I was. 

I definitely don't want to say that the game I experienced was the greatest thing in the world, and nor do I believe I would prefer a game with an insane amount of bursting as opposed to my ideal elimination of the bursting concept. However, I was reminded of the semi-luck-based Beyblade I enjoyed when I was younger and that being this competitive player isn't the only thing that made me happy to play Beyblade in the first place. 

(absolutely dislike the inconsistencies with Beyblade tightness though)

Round Robin Matches (Final Score: 3-4)

• Hunter08 (Wyvern W2 Gravity Revolve) vs. Mitsu (Unicrest Gravity Revolve): 1-3
  • EX139 (Valtryek Armed Survive) vs. Mitsu (Valtryek V2 Spread Zephyr): 3-1
  • OldSchool (Roktavor Heavy Accel) vs. Mitsu (Roktavor Heavy Zephyr): 0-3
  • Kei (Yegdrion Knuckle Zephyr) vs. Mitsu (Valtryek V2 Spread Zephyr): 0-3
  • BAWB18 (Unicrest Gravity Revolve) vs. Mitsu (Unicrest Gravity Revolve): 3-2
  • 1234beyblade (Roktavor Heavy Accel) vs. Mitsu (Valtryek V2 Spread Accel): 2-3
  • jameschaos (Unicrest Gravity Defense) vs. Mitsu (Unicrest Gravity Revolve): 3-0
Thanks, Mitsu!

(May. 10, 2017  10:15 PM)Mitsu Wrote: To be quite frank, I had been feeling super down about Beyblade Burst as a whole up until this event. Even with the first three Layers of the God series treating me rather nicely, it hit me harder than ever that competitive Beyblade is a pay-to-win game, to some degree. I'm at the point where–as a 15 year old lacking in a payed job–I can't really financially keep up with the game and others I've grown to like (even just as much as this one!) at the same time. 

Gonna have to disagree with you on this. Is it really "pay-to-win" when you can still be successful with Layers released in 2015 (not Valkyrie and Deathscyther which are sort of pay-to-win since they wear quickly, but Odin, Wyvern, Minoboros etc, not to mention other Beyblades released in 2016 that are still competitive)? That being said, inevitably like any other hobby similar to Beyblade that has new releases every month or every few months; there's always going to be new stuff that outclasses the old ... it's sort of to be expected.

But I do understand your predicament; I felt similarly when I was your age, and it can be frustrating not being able to afford everything. However, I don't think it's as badly "pay-to-win" as you imply.

(May. 10, 2017  10:15 PM)Mitsu Wrote: I definitely don't want to say that the game I experienced was the greatest thing in the world, and nor do I believe I would prefer a game with an insane amount of bursting as opposed to my ideal elimination of the bursting concept. However, I was reminded of the semi-luck-based Beyblade I enjoyed when I was younger and that being this competitive player isn't the only thing that made me happy to play Beyblade in the first place. 

I didn't think the amount of bursting was too high (although maybe that was because I was using YKZ and avoided everything LOL), but part of me does wonder if changing the rules of the format so that only Hasbro launchers are permitted would be a good idea. I'd like to see other communities around the world try out the format with TT Launchers as well first and see what they think before we make a decision like that, though.
How did doomscizor do? And is the spring in hasbro revolve really weak enough to burst easily?
(May. 17, 2017  8:53 AM)TheLionisDead Wrote: How did doomscizor do? And is the spring in hasbro revolve really weak enough to burst easily?

BTW just clearing. Spring has nothing to do with Burst risistance, it has to do with Teeth and Slopes of Layers.

But yeah even I wanna to know. Also did Y had more stamina then D? How best Stamina comapres to TT's D?
Doomscizor has good Stamina (obviously), but the problem is that it is so incredibly easy to burst. It's hard to even get through a match where it doesn't burst, to be honest.