New York Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: Kei vs. The World: NYC

NEW YORK BEYBLADE BURST TOURNAMENT REPORT
Kei vs. The World: NYC
October 8, 2017 at Kings Games in Brooklyn, New York, United States • BURST FORMAT
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGERESULTS SPREADSHEET

-

Tournament Video

[Image: wdqZM4m.jpg]

Coming all the way from Toronto, this tournament was especially meaningful for me. I’ve played Beyblade in Japan and Illinois in the past and have always been so happy to be able to connect with people through the game no matter where I play. New York was no different this time and I was able to meet several people who I hadn’t seen in over a year as well as many new players and older members who I had never met before. You all know who you are!

Before you read any further, be sure to check out my tournament video above or directly on Youtube!

We ended up having 24 participants at this event, which meant we played using Swiss Format. With Sniper as the host and Yami as the co-host, the event ran smoothly and we ended with myself, Yami, Foxer, and Ardmore Bladers in the finals.

Throughout the day Maximum Garuda was–as expected–the star, but prior to setting out on my trip to NY for this event, I did a lot of testing, including with the new Ωrichalcum Ωuter Ωcta. Luckily for me, I won it after only 60 or so tries (although I was unable to win a second after 600 more tries). I discovered in my testing that both Outer and Octa are extremely powerful parts, something which was confirmed for me even further when marutti posted about how gK.Ω.R had gone on a rampage recently and won a bunch of G2 and G3 tournaments in Japan. I was able to use this to my advantage in the deck format finals and beat both Yami and Foxer, who had been leaning heavily on mG throughout the day. I also used Octa a lot on dF throughout the day; it has few weaknesses and it very safe to use against most things people will throw at you. However, it isn’t necessarily safe to the point of being the same centralizing force that mG is … I really am at the point now where I think we should ban mG in spite of gK.Ω.R’s proficency against it. Just like everything else which has been banned in the past, there are certainly ways to beat mG, but the issue is that the metagame sort of revolves around it now. That’s unhealthy. And what makes it worse is that it’s a Random Booster prize. Anyways, I digress. We’ll probably start a discussion about this soon.

The most exciting battle of the day for me was against Cye Kinomiya in Round 5 of Swiss; we hadn’t played since the Metal Fight Limited Format event at BEYBLADE NORTH 2016 and have a long history dating back to BEYBLADE’S NOT DEAD! in 2008 when we first met in person. We were the two remaining undefeated players, and both knew that each other had Maximum Garuda. Knowing him, I knew he would probably not use mG and would use Attack instead, but I didn’t want to commit 100% to that assumption, so I decided to use MGC sX.7M.T, which I’ve found to be quite decent all around against most things because of the versatility afforded by Trans. sX doesn’t really need the speed offered by Drivers like Xtreme to KO things, so it does pretty well. He ended up choosing Legend Spriggan on Xtreme which is a bit of a tough match-up because Xtreme is faster, but not impossible to win. It was a tightly contested battle and I ended up coming back from being down 0-2 to win the match 3-2.

Somehow, I ended up going 7-0 to win the tournament, with Yami in second, Foxer in third, and Ardmore Bladers in fourth. One of the hardest things I’ve learned over the years is how difficult it can be to insert yourself into a foreign community and play competitively. It’s difficult because you don’t know what the tendencies of the players are or what the metagame is like in that particular area. This is the sort of information that you typically gather over the span of several events in your home area. Knowing this, I intentionally spent as much time as I could scoping out the competition throughout the event (more so than I usually would in Toronto), so I was happy that ultimately my approach worked out and I was able to win the event.

However, the thing that ultimately made me the most happy was seeing everyone come together. It’s been a while since New York had an event, and given that historically they are one of our largest and most important communities, I was so happy to have been able to get this organized. Huge thank you to Sniper for agreeing to put in the effort to help make this happen! As I’ve said a bunch of times recently, I sincerely hope this event was the beginning of a renewed New York WBO community!

Winning Combinations
1st: Kei
MGC Maximum Garuda 7 Glaive Orbit
MGC Maximum Garuda Ωuter Orbit
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Atomic
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Ωcta
MGC Sieg Xcalibur 7 Meteor Trans
Maximum Garuda 7 Glaive Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)
Guardian Kerbeus Ωuter Revolve (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir 2 Cross Ωcta (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir Ωuter Ωcta (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: Yami
MGC Maximum Garuda 4 Flow Atomic

3rd: Foxer
Maximum Garuda 7 Meteor Atomic

Photos
[Image: 0sAiKqi.jpg]

[Image: tKI0sRh.jpg]

[Image: 8XEFuVa.jpg]

[Image: qFIaNqy.jpg]

[Image: mGYQNNw.jpg]

[Image: plB4QHj.jpg]

[Image: vY1HdnV.jpg]

[Image: j0a13oz.jpg]

[Image: C3bobn3.jpg]

Deck Format Finals
[Image: rADwtR5.jpg]

[Image: qddErFx.jpg]

[Image: VQt90X7.jpg]

[Image: jKy6c6W.jpg]

[Image: g91fG8Z.jpg]

[Image: xFcM4k0.jpg]

[Image: Hvp4RQs.jpg]

[Image: 3RDZsRb.jpg]

[Image: r1EY5Xk.jpg]

[Image: 6CJsGqQ.jpg]

[Image: 49EPdqE.jpg]

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
I was going to post the report topic, but it looks like Kei beat me to it. Taking basically a whole weekend off to go to the tournament meant that I kinda fell behind on my school work, haha. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures, so this report's going to be pretty text-heavy, but over the course of the next month or so, some of the match footage will be going up on my YouTube channel so you can check that out if you want.

This was the first New York tournament I had ever been to, as well as the first one hosted in several months, so I was a bit apprehensive about navigating through the subway stations to get where I needed to go. Fortunately, I figured it out faster than I expected and got to Kings Games before it actually opened, haha. Since I had already gotten breakfast earlier, but no one else was there yet, I ended up spending about an hour awkwardly waiting inside for Sniper, Yami, King Loofa, and [Pyro] to show up. Once Sniper had sorted the whole entry fee situation out with the store staff, we headed upstairs to set up all the stadiums and tables for the tournament. I mainly took advantage of this time to balance-tune some of the combos I hadn’t had a chance to yet, and test out a few matchups I expected to have during the tournament. About an hour and a half later, we began the tournament with 24 participants – significantly less than the 42 registered on site, but still one of the larger tournaments I've attended nonetheless.

Swiss Stage

Finals

Definitely one of the most interesting points of this tournament was Kei’s use of both Ωuter and Ωcta. Ωuter seems to combine Yell’s large diameter and smooth outer edge with Gravity’s insane OWD, while also being painted… I played a few friendly matches with Kei after the tournament ended and his gK. Ω.R was outspinning even my dF.P.At. He also said that it weighed like 23 grams, so that weight combined with its OWD should make it relatively easy to burst as well (which I did see some of in his matches against UnethicalVoxel and Foxer). Ωcta seems to suffer from the same burst resistance issues that Ωuter does, probably because it’s the heaviest Driver. However, it also seems to have about the same precession as Atomic with a lot more KO Defense. Kei was saying that he could get dF.7G. Ω to outspin pretty much anything right spin besides mG (and somehow D2? Doesn’t really make sense since dF.P.At already beats that), and it’s probably worth noting that his Ωcta has some pretty awful balance – It would make sense that a well-balanced Ωcta is better than Atomic in opposite spin matchups. Sieg Xcalibur, Trans, and Merge made a few appearances today, most notably when Kei used sX.7M.T to defeat Cye Kinomiya’s lS.7M.X in the final round of Swiss. Merge made a few cameo appearances in both Kei and Yami’s decks, but wasn’t really used at all.

Some of the major players today were Foxer and UnethicalVoxel, who both made it to the top 8 in their first tournaments using almost exclusively MGC mG.7M.At and dF.P.At resepectively. Ardmore Bladers also made it to the top 4 almost exclusively using dF.4G.At. Also props to Baby Sun for going all in with stock Legend Spriggan and making it to the top 8 There were a few players using the Hasbro Doomscizor D2 and nazarethvasquez used Deathscyther Spread Survive for most of his matches, I believe, but aside from that Deathscyther and D2 did not see very much use at all.

Maximum Garuda presented quite a formidable wall to those who didn’t have it, and an even bigger one to those who did. It seemed like too many people banked on winning the mG mirror and couldn’t come up with any other ways around it. However, it didn’t seem unbeatable or banworthy to me by any stretch of the imagination. Guardian Kerbeus took it down with some consistency, and Legend Spriggan and Sieg Xcalibur both seem have solid chances against it as well (sX more as a Burst Attacker than a mixed or KO Attacker). Though I lost to it with lS, I didn’t feel like it was a hopeless matchup at all and I probably could have won if I hadn’t self-KOed so much. Cye Kinomiya almost lost to Deathscyther Spread Survive with mG.4G.Orbit in the first round of Swiss, and from what I’ve heard more modern Deathscyther setups can beat it consistently. Also, if you look closely, you can see that Kei didn’t even use mG in the final match against Yami.

After the Burst tournament ended, most of the players, including Kei and Cye Kinomiya, cleared out, meaning that it was a small enough number that we could rush through the Limited tournament with enough time for me to catch my bus. There were 9 players remaining: myself, Yami, Sniper, King Loofa, [Pyro], nazarethvasquez, DECEPTICON, Natsu3, and GhostShredder, so we ended up doing just a normal round robin.

Round Robin Stage

Final Stage

After my match ended, I actually had to get out of there as ASAP as possible so I didn’t miss my bus, so I ended up missing the 3rd/4th place match, but I do know Sniper won. Even though I did win the tournament, I’m still unsatisfied with how poorly I played in the first stage… I definitely shouldn’t have gotten outprecessed by MF using RB/RSF those two times.

Even though it only appeared once on the Winning Combos list, the WomFace FIREFIRE combo (Bakushin MF) made a huge impact in the tournament. At least for me, the entire event revolved around defeating it. [Pyro] actually used it in most, if not all, of his round robin matches and went 6-2, while Sniper also made heavy use of it. Bakushin has enough Attack power to KO most common LTSCs, and the defensive shape means that it’s a lot more difficult to defeat with Attack than something like Burn or Scythe would be, since it’s capable of ramping out things like Lightning or Screw though Smash Attackers like Pegasis and Cosmic still wreck it. It did outprecess my Gravity LTDC once, but I would be hesitant to say that’s something it would be able to do consistently. I would also imagine most tall Stamina/Defense combos would be able to take it out, but changing the setup to use Escolpio and W105 might change things. Either way, I definitely think it’s worth considering for the tier list at this point.

Overall, while I’m frustrated with the mistakes I made over the course of the two tournaments, it was still fun to travel down to New York and meet up with Kei, Sniper, Yami, King Loofa, Cye Kinomiya, and everyone else who attended. Hopefully this event will lead to more tournaments in New York, and one implication of this event that I’m especially excited for in the future is the return of big-city Beyblade tournaments: The Burst tournament here had 24 players, and the Los Angeles tournament the week before had 37. I didn’t join the WBO until 2012, so I’ve never really experienced the thrill of playing in a really huge event like the 60+ player tournaments held in NYC, Toronto, and London during the peak of MFB’s popularity.[/b][/b]
In the event, did sX do better stationary or mobile?
I unfortunately don't have time to reply in detail at the moment, but thanks so much for your comprehensive report @[Wombat]! Enjoyed reading it and wish we had more people who wrote reports like that.

(Oct. 18, 2017  2:27 AM)DaJetsnake Wrote: In the event, did sX do better stationary or mobile?

Hm, I don't think it was used stationary that much ...? So it's hard to say.