Toronto Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: WELCOME TO A&C GAMES V

TORONTO BEYBLADE BURST TOURNAMENT REPORT
November 25, 2017 at A&C Games in Toronto, Ontario, Canada • BURST FORMAT
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGERESULTS SPREADSHEET

-

[Image: Hz3dnB3.jpg]

@worldbeyblade Instagram Story Tournament Videos

It had been over a month since our last tournament in Toronto–TO BURST OR NOT TO BURST–and while this might not be a long period for many communities, it’s unusual for Toronto as of late. Just last weekend I returned from a three week trip to Japan where I had played in tournaments almost every weekend and also was able to pick up the highly anticipated B-97 Nightmare Longinus.Ds and B-98 God Customize Set. I’ll be talking about my experience in Japan more soon in the upcoming Part 3 post in this thread, but it goes without saying that considering the length of time between out last event, my experience in Japan, the huge new releases, important new ruling updates that were rolled out recently, and that this was our first time back at A&C Games since March, this tournament was one which I was looking forward to immensely.

We ended up having 17 players for this event, just enough to do Swiss Format, which I feel like is universally loved here in Toronto at least. This was due in part to U wot m8 and LMAO–two important members of the Toronto community–who had retired from the game and had originally come just to watch agreeing to play. Having them play alongside Mitsu who also came back after a few months for the event, and regulars 1234beyblade, JesseObre, OldSchool™ and so forth made it feel a little bit like I had been transported back in time. It made me happy.

[Image: Kx0bMDA.jpg]

However, it wasn’t only the veteran players who were there: we also had many new players! As always, us hosting events at A&C Games seems to attract new people a bit better than when we host at High Park and Dufferin Grove Park. Perhaps the events seem more legitimate that way.

New Parts, Rules, and Comparisons to Japan’s Beyblade Community
Competitively speaking, as previously mentioned, there were several new changes to the rules and new parts that had been released since our last event. I had experienced how these new parts might affect the metagame first hand in Japan over the previous two weeks, but how things played out here illustrated to me how different the game is here versus there.

This was our first event with Maximum Garuda and Outer now banned from WBO tournaments and several new parts like Nightmare Longinus, Deep Chaos, Bump, Destroy, and Bearing available for use.

Prior to the event, I had predicted that each of the above would have an impact on the event. Deep Chaos, Bump, and Destroy did, but to my surprise Nightmare Longinus was nowhere to be seen, and Bearing was a non-factor.

[Image: FEnkqec.jpg]

Of the two, Nightmare Longinus was the most surprising considering that pretty much everyone in the Top 8 was using Drain Fafnir throughout the day, which nL counters pretty hard in my experience. I understand its absence to some degree because it does have some trouble against some right-spin combos, and because of the ability for Legend Spriggan to change spin direction now in our latest ruling update. However, it doesn’t self-burst as easily as lS can and it’s probably more efficient against left-spin than lS is … so it does have some advantages that might convince players to start using it eventually.

Bearing was more difficult to use than I anticipated. After my experiences in Japan, I understood how easy it was to burst, but I still thought dF.7G.Br in particular would find its place somewhere in the metagame because of how insane its life after death is. It still might, but upon reflection I realized that the reason it might have been more usable in Japan is due to several key ruling differences between our two communities:

• Maximum Garuda and Outer are not banned. The presence of mG in particular is important because it makes Attack less viable across the board, which is the main counter for Bearing. dF.7G.Br can also OS mG on Orbit and Atomic, which makes it an attractive choice in Japan right now.
  • Beyblades which bounce back into the stadium are still considered in-play, making Attack less viable. In WBO rules, if a Beyblade gets knocked out of the stadium and bounces back in of the back wall of an exit, it’s still considered a KO and the round is over. Attack is still used a lot in Japan–especially in their version of Deck Format–but this ruling changes things to some degree as well.
  • TAKARA-TOMY’s version of Deck Format is up to three points and is composed of three separate battles based on the order you place your Beyblades in your Deck box. KOs are also worth only one point. This again makes Attack less viable and Stamina more powerful.

Considering all of this, I guess it wasn’t so surprising after all. And it makes me more confident in the rule changes the WBO has imposed to make Attack more viable competitively.

[Image: Q5NnKNC.jpg]

The Tournament
Emerging victorious from the Swiss Rounds as the Top 8 were:

1. jamie (5-0, Bucholz: 9.0)
2. OldSchool™ (4-1, Bucholz: 9.0)
3. LMAO (3-2, Bucholz: 10.0)
4. 1234beyblade: (3-2, Bucholz: 9.0)
5. Kei (3-2, Bucholz: 8.0)
6. Tahoor (3-2, Bucholz: 7.0)
7. JesseObre (3-2, Bucholz: 7.0)
8. Mitsu (3-2, Bucholz: 7.0)

jamie has been on a roll as of late. He placed second at TO BURST OR NOT TO BURST (will write a report for that eventually), and then came into this tournament beating the likes of  OldSchool™, LMAO, 1234beyblade, and Mitsu to advance to the final battle against myself. He also seemed to be tearing through right-spin opponents with sX.4B.O, although I'm not sure how many Drain Fafnir-based combos it was able to beat. I was able to shut it down in our semi-final match with dF.7G.Ω, but still, it's quite good.

OldSchool™ has also put forth another impressive performance being able to place second with Beyblades like Alter Chronos, Legend Spriggan, and Drain Fafnir, all of which were released as far back as May of this year. He also placed second a couple months ago at JUDGMENT BEY with things like Wyvern, Odin, Dark Deathscyther, and Drain Fafnir … which to me just illustrates how it is certainly possible to find success even if you don’t have the newest parts. This is contrary I think to some players who think that you absolutely need the newest releases to win. Having them often helps, but it isn’t the be all, end all. OldSchool™ proves this, and I respect him for that.

[Image: WOH6Yuj.jpg]

I was also impressed with LMAO’s performance after having not played in who knows how long. He borrowed parts from several players, but I think his ability to make it to the finals after beating players like 1234beyblade and myself says a lot about how good of a player he was when he was active. He ultimately lost in the first round of the finals against Tahoor after being up 4-0–largely due to a few things about some parts that he wasn’t familiar with–but it was impressive nonetheless.

It was also good to see Tahoor make it all the way to the third place match as well. He’s been on the rise as of late and I’ve been looking forward to seeing how he does at each of our events lately!

Mitsu also deserves an honourable mention because he hasn’t bought any new parts since probably around May or June, and was primarily playing with those parts throughout the event. Making it to the Top 8 in that fashion is respectable!

For me, I had a tough first match with BAWB18, narrowly winning 3-2 with my dF.7G.Ω against his tN.?M.X.

In my second match I was paired with LMAO who was being helped by 1234beyblade, so I was quite unsure of what he might use. So, I decided to go with Legend Spriggan as it was a part I had identified in my testing before the event to be one which would be powerful in the new metagame due to the ability to switch spin directions. I had assumed LMAO would go left-spin Stamina, but was surprised to see 1234beyblade had given him Drain Fafnir on Destroy. It was again another close match, but I ended up losing 3-2.

Destroy is actually one of my favourite new Drivers; it’s basically like a new, better version of Hold. In opposite spin match-ups it can defeat Atomic-based combos and Attack types, making it quite versatile. And even in same spin match-ups, you have the ability to KO the opponent (I lose in Round 5 against OldSchool’s dF on Atomic 3-2, but my two points with dF on Destroy were via KO).

[Image: 8DBp7le.jpg]

In the finals, I was tragically paired with 1234beyblade in the first round … going into the battle I foolishly chose Deep Chaos on Bearing as I had guessed he might try to use Drain Fafnir on Atomic to counter Drain Fafnir on Bearing or Destroy. But he ended up choosing dF.4C.Br himself in tandem with dC.5G.Ds and sX.7B.O. In the first round I chose dC.7G.Br not being sure if his dC.5G.Ds would be able to burst it … but it did so immediately haha. At this point, my only choice was really to go for lS.4M.X as it had a chance against everything in his deck. I had started with lS in left-spin, so I made the critical choice to change the spin direction to right-spin to have a better chance against his Deep Chaos (and also Sieg Xcalibur). I was able to win that round and tie up the match, but then had to deal with his dF.4C.Br. It wasn’t an unwinnable match-up in right-spin, but still not ideal. Luckily for me, at the very end of the round I was somehow able to burst it and go up 4-2 and eventually win the match.

Afterwards, I was able to beat both jamie and OldSchool to win the tournament largely due in part to dC.7G.Destroy and dF.7G.Ω.

Looking forward to seeing where the game goes from here at our next event in a few weeks! As it stands, I am quite happy with where the game is at now after our ban of mg, Outer, enabling mode switching once per match for parts which require disassembly, the new KO ruling, and the introduction of all of the new parts over the past few weeks. It feels like Attack combos are finally legitimately viable in a meaningful way, but at the same time, there is also a plethora of legitimate options for Stamina too with Destroy, Atomic, Bearing, Orbit, and Revolve available.

[Image: MCw1mNx.jpg]

Winning Combinations
1st: Kei
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Ωcta
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Destroy
Deep Chaos 7 Glaive Destroy
Legend Spriggan 4 Meteor Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir 5 Bump Ωcta (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: OldSchool™
Alter Chronos 4 Cross Revolve
Legend Spriggan 6 Meteor Zephyr
Drain Fafnir 7 Meteor Atomic
Drain Fafnir Polish Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd: jamie
Sieg Xcalibur 4 Bump Orbit
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Atomic
Deep Chaos 5 Cross Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)

Photos
[Image: QYe7sLm.jpg]

[Image: pbzzBpO.jpg]

[Image: Plgc7TE.jpg]

[Image: KpGYWF2.jpg]

[Image: JJO8nX7.jpg]

[Image: NANiPsL.jpg]

[Image: fq5mDhM.jpg]

[Image: KIRoG43.jpg]

[Image: qNFUVaq.jpg]

[Image: gks5NKs.jpg]

[Image: JEyzrG0.jpg]

Deck Format Finals
[Image: vI84Xqg.jpg]

[Image: Foj5mjp.jpg]

[Image: sfsTUH3.jpg]

[Image: j4Rij83.jpg]

[Image: bitfYw9.jpg]

[Image: lnjvQ0t.jpg]

[Image: F5AaIZR.jpg]

[Image: SF7tMm5.jpg]

[Image: JEFU1zq.jpg]

[Image: zwQRwnW.jpg]

[Image: SSZazBV.jpg]

[Image: OrqVUbi.jpg]

[Image: 4KaMtPr.jpg]

[Image: ST0GfEa.jpg]

[Image: KPWoDz1.jpg]

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
(Nov. 27, 2017  1:17 AM)beyblader 5372 Wrote: You sure like drain fafnir

Who doesn't? Tongue_out It's one of the best parts in the game, but it's also balanced in that it can be beaten relatively easily with Attack. The ban of Maximum Garuda has made it more viable again.
Does destroy work in the same way F230 GCF once did? Or is it more attack oriented and doesn't have as much stamina?
(Nov. 27, 2017  1:17 PM)TheLionisDead Wrote: Does destroy work in the same way F230 GCF once did? Or is it more attack oriented and doesn't have as much stamina?

It's not like F230GCF; it's more like Hold, just more consistent in being able to outspin anything in the opposite spin direction except Bearing.
(Nov. 27, 2017  1:24 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Nov. 27, 2017  1:17 AM)beyblader 5372 Wrote: You sure like drain fafnir

Who doesn't? Tongue_out It's one of the best parts in the game, but it's also balanced in that it can be beaten relatively easily with Attack. The ban of Maximum Garuda has made it more viable again.

What attack types beat dF? Other than nL.
why isnt dC popular as a staller i mean we have a metal flat driver now stalling could be a viable strategy against right spin atomic also can same spin bearing beat same spin revolve and atomic?
(Dec. 09, 2017  5:10 PM)Rebel Blader Wrote: why isnt dC popular as a staller i mean we have a metal flat driver now stalling could be a viable strategy against right spin atomic also can same spin bearing beat same spin revolve and atomic?

The inherent problem with using stallers is that all the current viable stamina layers all burst very easily on a hard launch. Normally this isn't a problem since they can retain or equalize spin on defense/stamina drivers with a softer launch, but stallers need a hard launch to retain their stamina and effectily stall. Stallers can work well, but they ultimately aren't as safe in the metagame as traditional stamina builds or their MFB equivalents.
(Dec. 09, 2017  5:30 PM)TrainiacJ Wrote:
(Dec. 09, 2017  5:10 PM)Rebel Blader Wrote: why isnt dC popular as a staller i mean we have a metal flat driver now stalling could be a viable strategy against right spin atomic also can same spin bearing beat same spin revolve and atomic?

The inherent problem with using stallers is that all the current viable stamina layers all burst very easily on a hard launch. Normally this isn't a problem since they can retain or equalize spin on defense/stamina drivers with a softer launch, but stallers need a hard launch to retain their stamina and effectily stall. Stallers can work well, but they ultimately aren't as safe in the metagame as traditional stamina builds or their MFB equivalents.
There are some layers like aC and bR which arent that burst prone i know they have relatively poor stamina but bR/aC iron should be able to outspin gZ and aC atomic and with bR iron due to bR's aggressive properties one could have a chance against things like dC/gK revolve/orbit
To me a big reason stallers aren't viable anymore due to the omnipresence of left-spin Beyblades; if you're using a staller and come up against something in the opposite spin direction with any Driver that has better precession than Iron/Accel/Zephyr (which is a lot of Drivers), you're basically done for. During the beginning of Beyblade Burst stallers were more viable due to the lack of opposite spin direction Beyblades.

I did use a staller recently against 1234beyblade (Shadow Orichalcum on Zephyr) in a first stage match (super risky normally, but under the circumstances I wanted something surprising and felt like he'd use Attack, and he did) and in the Deck Format finals. But even using them in Deck Format is hard to justify because they are only good at one thing (beating Attack on Xtreme/Accel/Zephyr/Hunter/etc) unless you count perhaps being able to OS low tier combos. Even in Deck Format where you have three Beyblades, I still find that it is advantageous to think about your combos in terms of how many different things they can handle. That said, sometimes having a staller in your Deck is good because the opponent can then never reliably switch into their Attack combo which would normally be the most versatile thing in their Deck. However, that's assuming it's not the opposite spin direction of your staller or Legend Spriggan, which could change spin direction and have a chance ...

And there's no viable staller that's going to outspin good Layers on Atomic.

It's also worth noting that things like Impact and Merge can probably outrun staller combos ... It's not the exact same thing, but one time at a tournament I used the speed of Legend Spriggan on Impact to beat 1234beyblade's Legend Spriggan on Xtreme.

(Just to note: I used sO in the above example mainly just for fun since it was new at the time lol. Something like aC would probably be better)

ptf606 Wrote:What attack types beat dF? Other than nL.

nL is the best choice, but Legend Spriggan can work too.
cool! would have joined but parents did not want to drive me there
What does Octa look like from the side and below?
Any info on bearing and how bearing performs on dF for spin equalizing?
(Dec. 15, 2017  11:16 PM)dt1000 Wrote: What does Octa look like from the side and below?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean that can't be seen in my photos, but one thing you probably can't tell is that the very tip of Ωcta has a very fine sharp point that surprisingly doesn't wear down as quickly as you might think it would.

(Dec. 16, 2017  12:50 AM)Rebel Blader Wrote: Any info on bearing and how bearing performs on dF for spin equalizing?

It's extremely good, of course. But it is also extremely easy to burst especially with Nightmare Longinus and even opposing Drain Fafnir combos using Drivers like Atomic.
(Dec. 17, 2017  1:07 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Dec. 16, 2017  12:50 AM)Rebel Blader Wrote: Any info on bearing and how bearing performs on dF for spin equalizing?

It's extremely good, of course. But it is also extremely easy to burst especially with Nightmare Longinus and even opposing Drain Fafnir combos using Drivers like Atomic.

Yea but from what i have seen its extremely to burst with attack and sometime even with slightly aggressive  right spin things like gZ.destroy seems to outclass bearing imo since dF destroy will beat right spin defense and stamina,its moblity can help it to some degree against attack and dF destroy can easily burst dF bearing so imo bearing is quite useless. Sure dC destroy can counter dF destroy but i dont think dC destroy would be that popular. Also i think bearing is very bad when used for right spin stamina against right spin opponents  not only it bursts very easily but also gets destabilized easily
These are really cool. Reading the tornament reports help me with competitive combo making and give a nice over view of the tornament.