Toronto Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: SUPER Z, SUPER FUN

[Image: HgSzaLs.jpg]

TORONTO BEYBLADE BURST TOURNAMENT REPORT
March 31, 2018 at High Park in Toronto, Ontario, Canada • BURST FORMAT
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGE

-

The Arrival of Super Z

As the tournament name implies, the big factor heading into this event after TO BURST OR NOT TO BURST 2 was the arrival of Beyblade Burst Super Z!

I had got Winning Valkyrie, Zet Achilles, and Emperor Forneus in the lead up to the event, and OldSchool somehow managed to get his big shipment from Hobby Link Japan, so pretty much everyone had access to the new Super Z Beyblades for this tournament.

originalzankye also was there not only to cover the event for his channel, but to donate a huge bag of prizes containing boosters, Lawson Lottery items, and even one copy of each of the new Super Z Beyblades. We gave away the prizes to random participants before the event started, then to more people as they were eliminated from the event, and then finally the last few after the tournament was completed.

[Image: LvHdrX3.jpg]

Time Expectations, Dropped Player Improvements & Registration Time

originalzankye's giveaway items helped to provide an incentive for people to stick around longer, and I believe out of 47 players, we only had one player drop before the end of the first stage. This was an improvement over our last event with 40 people, so I was happy with the outcome.

[Image: V6IWSkf.jpg]

It also helped that before the event I announced roughly how long the tournament would take. I still received questions throughout frequently about when the next matches for a particular player would take place and how much was left, but I’m confident the estimate at the beginning helped a lot in terms of setting expectations for all players and parents present. This is so key for all Organziers to do, especially at larger events with lots of kids and parents spectating.

One thing I’d like to change for next time however is increasing registration time. With over 40 players, even if you have the Challonge bracket all set up the night before based on the list of participants, it still takes quite some time to go through and register everyone at the event. This includes noting what they pay on a separate list and then cross-referencing it with the Challonge bracket to make sure they are added. I’ve found that it helps immensely to have two people working together on this: one monitoring the Challonge bracket and one maintaining another list based on the people who are there at the event signing up. And of course, there’s also always a lot of new players who don’t sign up online, which adds more time onto the registration process. So, I think perhaps allowing for an hour to register players at such large events would be beneficial.

[Image: OJVxxXY.jpg]

The Tournament

With Super Z in the hands of many players, it certainly had a respectable impact throughout the event. Throughout the first stage I saw Emperor Forneus as the most popular Super Z Beyblade, often uncustomized. It seems to be a decent all-around choice for the first stage, and many of the players using it made it far into the Winner’s or Loser’s brackets. There were many eF vs Sr match-ups; in the cases where Sr was using Bearing however, it won most of the time. But I believe that in one match, Mati was using eF on Bearing, and was able to beat JesseObre’s Sr Bearing in left-spin, which was interesting.

Sr Bearing continued its dominance overall however, with many players piloting it to the finals (the Destroy variant also saw use). I won with Sr on Yard in the first round just to try it out (and I thought maybe it wouldn’t be as easy to KO as Bearing), but used Bearing for my other matches like many of the other top players. In the third round of the Winner’s Bracket, despite Newtype using nL.X against me, I had luckily chosen Sr.7.Br in right-spin and not left, so I was able to win the match 3-1.

That being said, it is worth mentioning that bladekid was able to ride Hasbro’s Garuda G3 on Atomic to the finals. Somehow, nobody had an answer for it until the finals when it was shut down by Sr on Bearing. Hato had tried to defeat it with Legend Spryzen on Xtreme, but lost 3-0. In any case, while I don’t have one myself yet, it was clear that Garuda G3 was quite good and tight-fitting. I don’t believe anyone in Toronto really has it yet since I haven’t seen it in stores here, but bladekid came from the US, so that’s how he was able to get it I suppose.

In Round 4 of the Loser’s Bracket, JesseObre faced off against Cam77. Jesse used dC.7.R, but Cam77 countered it with Sr on Bearing to win the match 3-0. Before the match Cam77 had received help from bladekid so we had assumed he’d use Garuda G3.

[Image: kOS1LAM.jpg]

For the finals, I was paired up with Newtype again. I made a couple mistakes in my deck construction, but the one aspect which was fatal was forgetting that he had only been borrowing Bearing from JesseObre during the event (Jesse had left after being eliminated), and sort of designed my deck around beating Sr on Bearing (and his nL.X). I was able to put up a fight, but lost 5-3. That ended my streak of 13 straight Top 3 finishes (9 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze). Disappointing, but you can’t win the them all! Live and learn.

Regardless, despite being disappointed in myself, I was happy to see Newtype advance! It’s always good to see newer players or players who have been playing for a while but not made it to the Top 4 too often do well.

Newtype then went on to win his semi-final match against OldSchool with an exciting last second burst on his dC Bearing combo thanks to Sr Destroy. On the other side of the bracket, Cam77 defeated both BAWB18 and bladekid to advance to the final match.

[Image: HWkb9R0.jpg]

Both had never won a tournament before, so it was exciting to watch! The first few rounds were tightly contested between Sr on Bearing (Left Spin) versus dC.7.Br, but after a few ties dC was able to edge out two wins before Cam77 threw in the towel and decided to decline the rematch. Newtype chose to make a risky choice and stick with Deep Chaos, and was then bursted by Cam77’s wV.2U.X. Newtype took the next round against wV with his Sr Destroy to go up 3-2. Cam77 countered his Sr Destroy with Sr Bearing to tie it up at 3-3. Then, Newtype was able to counter that with his nL Xtreme, but unfortunately self-bursted … handing Cam77 the first place finish by a score of 5-3!

In general, the finals were filled with the usual suspects as of late: Maximum Garuda, Spriggan Requiem, Nightmare Longinus, Deep Chaos, Sieg Xcalibur, and also a sprinkling of Emperor Forneus and Winning Valkyrie. In some ways, the introduction of Super Z turned out to be just like the God Layer System last year; slow and gradual to start.

[Image: dmRt7D1.jpg]

Winning Combinations

1st: Cam77
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Destroy
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Bearing
Winning Valkyrie 2 Under Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: Newtype
Spriggan Requiem 0 Meteor Bearing
Nightmare Longinus Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)
Maximum Garuda 7 Cross Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)
Spriggan Requiem 0 Meteor Destroy (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd: OldSchool™
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Destroy
Garuda G3 0 Glaive Atomic
Garuda G3 0 Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)
MGC Maximum Garuda 7 Orbit (Deck Format Finals Only)
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)

Photos
[Image: 6vJz7sa.jpg]

[Image: KJFh46Y.jpg]

[Image: 6QaieH9.jpg]

[Image: naw9Tnf.jpg]

[Image: dgLiLsK.jpg]

[Image: Eo1gPqR.jpg]

[Image: THeDZql.jpg]

[Image: g61ceL1.jpg]

[Image: IXENLVd.jpg]

Deck Format Finals
[Image: o1351V0.jpg]

[Image: Cm6wU2k.jpg]

[Image: 68QuJDB.jpg]

[Image: UfhTVeC.jpg]

[Image: Q5Xi7ef.jpg]

[Image: IJ3WId5.jpg]

[Image: tHYHGtW.jpg]

[Image: weL9aFy.jpg]

[Image: aVwkspO.jpg]

[Image: SOChgJI.jpg]

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
nice write up

may i ask what deck format combos you ran?
Cool. It's nice to get an overview of the tournament.
@[Cam77], you won using more than just Winning Valkyrie in Deck Finals.

(Apr. 03, 2018  7:59 AM)RedPanda2 Wrote: nice write up

@[Kei],  Answer the man!  :chief2002hm:

*why emote not working?
(Apr. 03, 2018  7:59 AM)RedPanda2 Wrote: nice write up

Thanks!

Don't want to reveal that this time. Smile The perks of not placing in the top three lol.
OldSchool™ what Kei said to me was put (Deck format only) if I only used it during deck format and not Double Elimination round. I used sr0bBr for two matches during DE. He never told me to put the combos I won both in DE and finals to put them separately. And if I should have then oops ?
(Apr. 04, 2018  3:37 AM)Cam77 Wrote: OldSchool™ what Kei said to me was put (Deck format only) if I only used it during deck format and not Double Elimination round. I used sr0bBr for two matches during DE. He never told me to put the combos I won both in DE and finals to put them separately. And if I should have then oops ?

If you used a combo is both DE and Finals you write it like this for example.

Sr.7B.Bearing (also deck finals)

@[Cam77]
(Apr. 04, 2018  8:32 AM)OldSchool™ Wrote: If you used a combo is both DE and Finals you write it like this for example.

He already had Sr.0B.Br listed. There's no need to list it again or put "(also deck finals)". We don't require such specification. The only specification required is if a combo only wins a round in a Deck Format match that you won.
(Apr. 05, 2018  3:53 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Apr. 04, 2018  8:32 AM)OldSchool™ Wrote: If you used a combo is both DE and Finals you write it like this for example.

He already had Sr.0B.Br listed. There's no need to list it again or put "(also deck finals)". We don't require such specification. The only specification required is if a combo only wins a round in a Deck Format match that you won.

I meant that if you use a combo to win in Qualifying and then the same combo again in the Finals and win you need to show that you used it to win in both.
Sr.7B.Bearing was an example. I knew he had Sr.0B.Br listed.
(Apr. 05, 2018  8:06 AM)OldSchool™ Wrote: I meant that if you use a combo to win in Qualifying and then the same combo again in the Finals and win you need to show that you used it to win in both.

You don't. You just need to list the combo. The only time an additional note is necessary is when the combo was only used in the finals to win a round in a match you ultimately won.
(Apr. 05, 2018  8:10 PM)Kei Wrote:
(Apr. 05, 2018  8:06 AM)OldSchool™ Wrote: I meant that if you use a combo to win in Qualifying and then the same combo again in the Finals and win you need to show that you used it to win in both.

You don't. You just need to list the combo. The only time an additional note is necessary is when the combo was only used in the finals to win a round in a match you ultimately won.

So like this?

sample 1
sample 2
sample 3
sample 4
sample 4 (deck format finals)
sample 5
sample 5 (deck format finals)

sample 4 and 5 were used in both used and won in both qualifiers and finals.
(Apr. 05, 2018  10:24 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote: So like this?

sample 1
sample 2
sample 3
sample 4
sample 4 (deck format finals)
sample 5
sample 5 (deck format finals)

sample 4 and 5 were used in both used and won in both qualifiers and finals.

Nope. Sample 4 and 5 would just need to be listed once with no additional note. You only add the "Deck Format Finals Only" note if the combo was only used to win a round in a match that you ultimately won in the finals.

I feel like I'm repeating myself now haha.
in the first vid..it is horusood or holy horusood??? what combo that kid use? thanks
(Apr. 08, 2018  7:59 AM)nawzaroon Wrote: in the first vid..it is horusood or holy horusood??? what combo that kid use? thanks

Hasbro Horusood. Not sure what combo.
(Apr. 08, 2018  12:30 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote:
(Apr. 08, 2018  7:59 AM)nawzaroon Wrote: in the first vid..it is horusood or holy horusood??? what combo that kid use? thanks

Hasbro Horusood. Not sure what combo.

ouh okay thanks oldschool