Toronto Beyblade Burst Tournament Report: BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2018

[Image: eTz2QGz.png]
TORONTO BEYBLADE BURST TOURNAMENT REPORT
January 20, 2018 at Anime Shogatsu 2018 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada • BURST FORMAT
OFFICIAL EVENT PAGE

-

[Image: qRsXpub.jpg]
Group photo after the event! We had 31 players for the tournament itself.

We were back at Anime Shogatsu for the third time this year with BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2018! We’ve always had success with our events at anime conventions over the years, and it’s something I would definitely recommend Organizers around the world look into doing if they want to try and grow their local community. You really can’t beat the exposure you get at conventions. Each year we’ve consistently pulled in 20 or 30+ participants, and this year was no different with 31 players joining the competition.

[Image: hBOCzBu.jpg]

This year, the convention moved to the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre. I didn’t have too much time to explore the convention itself, but I had never been to the JCCC and the building made a good impression on me. Hope I’ll have a chance to go back sometime!

[Image: sp9ppyv.jpg]

As far as the tournament itself is concerned, after having tested the newly released Spriggan Requiem earlier in the week it was pretty much guaranteed in my mind that it would dominate the event. Particularly when paired with Destroy, which to my knowledge at this point has nothing that will counter it 100% due to the new mode change ruling we introduced back in October. This is something that everyone quickly caught onto right before the event started.

The mode switching works fine in Deck since the matches are longer and making the decision to switch modes can be critical to later on in the match when maybe you would have wanted the original mode you were in. But in the first stage of our events, mode switching has no negative consequences if you know what you're doing because you can just switch to the optimal spin direction and win the match. And if you're in a mirror match, it's just 50/50, which is no fun.

[Image: 6KBGc7B.jpg]

I won a couple matches in the first stage using variants of it, lost a near mirror match to OldSchool™ in the fifth round, and just barely beat JesseObre who was using Sr on Hold with my Nightmare Longinus Bump Xtreme. Xtreme-based Attack is really the only thing which stands a pretty good chance, but even that is probably not as reliable as I would like. As I mentioned in my WELCOME TO A&C GAMES VI report:

Kei Wrote:Overall, this tournament did leave a bit of worry amongst 1234beyblade and I afterwards because of how dominant Destroy was. It felt like Xtreme-based combos weren’t as viable as they should be because of it. You can certainly win with Xtreme-based combos against Destroy, but the Destroy-based combos are easier to use. We struggled to come up with ideas for what Attack types would consistently beat Destroy. In my mind, I think something like Merge or Impact-based Attack types which move faster than Xtreme could maybe do it, but the question then is: are they good enough against other types of combos?

Not to take anything away from them at all because when a powerful combo exists you have to take advantage of it, but it is also worth noting that the players who won the tournament (1st Crimsonlemon, 2nd Cam77), as well as OldSchool™ who placed 4th did so leaning heavily on Spriggan Requiem Destroy as well. The final match itself was exclusively Sr.0B.Ds vs. Sr.0B.Ds.

[Image: n9uCyox.jpg]

In the finals I consciously tried to counter it with Attack and Sr.0B.Br because it felt totally meaningless to play the mirror match, but was unable to overcome Cam77 and lost 6-4. As the score implies however, it certainly wasn’t a blowout; I could have won as I failed to cash in on 2/4 opportunities of nL Xtreme vs. Sr Destroy in left-spin and unluckily lost two bK.7S.X vs. nL.Star.X matches partly due to some apprehension on my part with regards to how I should launch nL. And there was probably more opportunities for me to use Sr.0B.Br than I realized in the moment (for example, I imagine I could have won against the Ark Bahamut 7 Meteor Atomic in Cam77’s Deck because of aB’s poor burst resistance, but I was scared to use Bearing in a same-spin direction battle even though if that match-up had happened he probably would have had even poorer burst resistance). I did however beat OldSchool who was also using Sr.0B.Ds in the third place match 5-3 with a similar approach.

With all of that being said, after what I experienced at this event I am of the opinion that for now we should immediately ban mode changes for parts which require disassembly in the first stage of events. Spriggan Requiem is still powerful with mode changes in Deck Format, but not as much as the first stage. I'd like to see it play out in a few more tournaments first before we make a decision about that, but for now it is clear to me that the change should absolutely be made for the first stage of our events.

[Image: nNeSuFN.jpg]

Another option would be to ban mode changes on Spriggan Requiem in the first stage specifically because the mode change ability for Alter Chronos is inconsequential, while the mode change for Legend Spriggan gives it a much needed boost in viability … It’s just Sr that sort of breaks things because it can be used as a Stamina type. Even though I don't want to lower Legend Spriggan's viability by removing these mode changes for the first stage entirely, I am apprehensive about this option personally because I don't like introducing ruling exceptions for specific parts.

I’ve heard a few people also say we should ban Destroy at this point. Not sure that’s a step I’m willing to take yet, but it is certainly worth thinking about.

In any case, your feedback is welcome and we will definitely be talking about this as a team, so please stay tuned for a decision on this front.

[Image: ubOwG20.jpg]

Winning Combinations

1st: Crimsonlemon
Twin Nemesis 7 Glaive Atomic
Drain Fafnir 7 Bump Atomic
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Destroy (Deck Format Finals Only)
Drain Fafnir 7 Glaive Ωcta (Deck Format Finals Only)
Twin Nemesis 4 Meteor Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: Cam77
Spriggan Requiem 7 Flow Destroy
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Atomic
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Destroy
Ark Bahamut 7 Star Atomic (Deck Format Finals Only)
Beat Kukulcan 7 Star Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd: Kei
Spriggan Requiem 0 Glaive Destroy
Spriggan Requiem 0 Glaive Revolve
Nightmare Longinus Bump Xtreme
Spriggan Requiem 0 Bump Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)
Nightmare Longinus Star Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)

Photos
[Image: oosLPoC.jpg]

[Image: 19NOAzE.jpg]

[Image: Ype1mzo.jpg]

[Image: kZNL8GZ.jpg]

[Image: 5ncNjEj.jpg]

[Image: RvF7jkc.jpg]

[Image: NZgRq3s.jpg]

[Image: 5Em1b9q.jpg]

[Image: kDJnYIc.jpg]

[Image: LDvxbBc.jpg]

[Image: YIJrTyY.jpg]

[Image: pnJah8p.jpg]

[Image: e2jh1Tc.jpg]

[Image: KG7KAji.jpg]

[Image: I3q3PgV.jpg]

[Image: wE3S5es.jpg]

[Image: cOQQH4W.jpg]

Deck Format Finals
[Image: NfjGqbI.jpg]

[Image: AoUWgar.jpg]

[Image: zMidnum.jpg]

[Image: yISkKEq.jpg]

[Image: ocGLSE9.jpg]

[Image: 5vUm7GY.jpg]

[Image: 18BAgPX.jpg]

[Image: TJRHEDy.jpg]

[Image: NuYlgwg.jpg]

[Image: PW3K8A1.jpg]

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to post below!

More Beyblade Tournament Reports
If you enjoyed this report, then you may also enjoy some of my other Beyblade Burst tournament reports:
That was quite a quick report post! I am now ashamed of my lateness in things Unhappy
I definitely agree with either restricting seperation-requiring mode-changes to deck format only or restricting Sr's mode change specifically in the first stage. The second I saw Sr had rubber i thought "this thing will be disgusting for equalization", haha. I think it'll basically replace dF for equalizing, but it's probably too early to call that.

You mentioned Beat Kukulcan in the report, how was it? I've seen some videos claiming it can do well, but having been misled by burst Driger S back when that was a big thing, I thought I should ask.
kerpao looking great ★~(◡﹏◡✿)
Nice report! I knew Sr_Ds/Br would be op but I imagined Deep Chaos doing well against it. did it went against any deep chaos?

I really need to get a Sr beyhaha.
(Jan. 22, 2018  12:25 AM)TrainiacJ Wrote: I definitely agree with either restricting seperation-requiring mode-changes to deck format only or restricting Sr's mode change specifically in the first stage. The second I saw Sr had rubber i thought "this thing will be disgusting for equalization", haha. I think it'll basically replace dF for equalizing, but it's probably too early to call that.

You mentioned Beat Kukulcan in the report, how was it? I've seen some videos claiming it can do well, but having been misled by burst Driger S back when that was a big thing, I thought I should ask.

Yes I used beat Kukulcan in the deck format playoffs. I personally love the bey design and the god ability of it(even if the locking mechanism affects it). The only thing bad about it is that it doesn't have the best stamina, but what attack really does. It has really big power for attacking. But still cant really defend against Spriggan Requiem, but nothing really can. So in my opinion i would say it would be good to get but thats me.
(Jan. 22, 2018  3:01 AM)FIREFIRE CPB Wrote: Nice report! I knew Sr_Ds/Br would be op but I imagined Deep Chaos doing well against it. did it went against any deep chaos?

Believe it or not but dC didn't have enough balance to compete with sR, meaning in a mirror match on Destroy, sR would be heavily favored.  I found tN to be much better when versing sR as that's literally all I won with in the first stage and my matchups were sRs and a dF, though none of them were on destroy.  dF had Octa and the sRs had Atomic which I also had on my tN.
Nice report, I really like reading them
(Jan. 22, 2018  5:11 AM)1234beyblade Wrote:
(Jan. 22, 2018  3:01 AM)FIREFIRE CPB Wrote: Nice report! I knew Sr_Ds/Br would be op but I imagined Deep Chaos doing well against it. did it went against any deep chaos?

Believe it or not but dC didn't have enough balance to compete with sR, meaning in a mirror match on Destroy, sR would be heavily favored.  I found tN to be much better when versing sR as that's literally all I won with in the first stage and my matchups were sRs and a dF, though none of them were on destroy.  dF had Octa and the sRs had Atomic which I also had on my tN.

WHAT THE SPINNING BEYBLADE?!. I knew Sr_Ds would be powerful ever since Kei mentioned about dF_Ds but this much lol.

I think we should think about banning Sr on Destroy. I think it won't be as good on other stuff. maybe bearing but it can be KOed still. or unban mG
i just wanted to ask why Sr_Ds was more popular than Sr_Br i mean i think Sr Br is able to beat dF_Ds/At, Sr_ At/Ds and pretty much all attack and stamina so what advantage does Sr_Ds hold over Sr Br and which Sr variant would win in a matchup against each other?
I could honestly see a ban of Ds, and an unban of mG. mG presents a reliable counter to Sr, and Ds is literally disgustingly good on top of reducing the viability of other parts. Unlike things such as atomic.

Edit: Also, in testing, My teammate and myself Absolutley love bK. Its burst resistance is great and has great attack potential.
(Jan. 22, 2018  9:21 PM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: I could honestly see a ban of Ds, and an unban of mG. mG presents a reliable counter to Sr, and Ds is literally disgustingly good on top of reducing the viability of other parts. Unlike things such as atomic.

Edit: Also, in testing, My teammate and myself Absolutley love bK. Its burst resistance is great and has great attack potential.

What combo do you use for bK
(Jan. 22, 2018  12:25 AM)TrainiacJ Wrote: I think it'll basically replace dF for equalizing, but it's probably too early to call that.

It's better in every way compared to dF from what I can tell so far.

(Jan. 22, 2018  5:46 AM)FIREFIRE CPB Wrote: I think we should think about banning Sr on Destroy. I think it won't be as good on other stuff. maybe bearing but it can be KOed still. or unban mG

That's an option, but I really would like to avoid banning specific combinations. To me, the only real legitimate options are:

- Ban mode changes for parts which require disassembly for the first stage of events
- Ban mode changes for parts which require disassembly entirely
- Ban Destroy

(Jan. 22, 2018  9:39 AM)Rebel Blader Wrote: i just wanted to ask why Sr_Ds was more popular than Sr_Br i mean i think Sr Br is able to beat dF_Ds/At, Sr_ At/Ds and pretty much all attack and stamina so what advantage does Sr_Ds hold over Sr Br and which Sr variant would win in a matchup against each other?

Bearing is too easy to burst. Spriggan Requiem Bearing does indeed beat the Ds variant if you get the opposite spin match-up–which is why I chose it for the finals as I wanted to try and counter what was happening–but you can just as easily get the same spin match-up where the Ds user can launch aggressively and burst you, making the usage of it a complete gamble especially in the first stage of tournaments. I also have found the Bearing variant slightly easier to deal with using Xtreme-based attackers than the Ds variant no matter what the spin direction is.

(Jan. 22, 2018  9:21 PM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: I could honestly see a ban of Ds, and an unban of mG. mG presents a reliable counter to Sr, and Ds is literally disgustingly good on top of reducing the viability of other parts. Unlike things such as atomic.

Yeah, some people suggested we unban mG. That would probably solve some problems, but it would create others. Namely, attack would become less viable. I'd much rather leave it banned and just ban mode changes for parts which require disassembly. Sr isn't as much of a nuisance when it can't switch spin directions mid-battle; that's really the crux of the issue right now.

Destroy is kind of annoying in that it is so good for both Stamina and Defense if you get the opposite spin match-up, and even has a decent chance when in the same spin direction against Attack, but I'm not sure it deserves to be banned because it loses 100% to same-spin Stamina on things like Revolve. That being said, if we do indeed decide to not ban it, I might be more inclined to ban mode changes altogether and not just the first stage since the more I think about it, even if Sr.0B.Ds isn't as overpowered in Deck right now as it is in the first stage of our events ... it would still be pretty overly versatile if we allowed mode changes to remain in Deck Format.
I thought that Sr had enough burst resistance to compensate for bearing allowing it to win against same spin atomic and destroy based combos
(Jan. 23, 2018  7:11 PM)Rebel Blader Wrote: I thought that Sr had enough burst resistance to compensate for bearing allowing it to win against same spin atomic and destroy based combos

I actually tested Sr.0B.Br (Left) vs dF.7G.Ds and it was bursting dF, but it's still possible to burst with Sr.0B.Ds and also more vulnerable to Xtreme-based Attackers, like I said. Sr has decent teeth, but that doesn't make Bearing that much more burst resistant ultimately. Atomic is also tighter than Bearing I'm pretty sure. I would say the Ds variant is more widely applicable, but the Br variant has use.