State Of Tournaments

Poll: Are tournaments lacking in your area/has a decrease in participants been significant recently?

Yes
89.66%
No
10.34%
Total: 100% 58 vote(s)
(Oct. 10, 2013  8:39 AM)Switchblad3r Wrote: Same here, My brother can't travel across the state with me and now there is something wrong with my car. I hope we can get something worked out for florida in the future, but it doesn't look so good Uncertain
Oh no Uncertain A couple new users nearby registered on the Beymap recently, so hopefully if they reply to my PM I could try to plan something for November, but it's just hard finding 8 people who can all participate in a tournament at the same time in such a big state...
CT is definitely a Hotspot in my book. My list is below. There shouldn't be any "occasionallys". Either they're on the list or they're not.

Toronto
Maryland
Virginia
CT
Michigan
New York
That means NY shouldn't be on there either. Or Virginia either.
(Oct. 11, 2013  12:29 AM)RagerBlade Wrote: CT is definitely a Hotspot in my book. My list is below. There shouldn't be any "occasionallys". Either they're on the list or they're not.

Toronto
Maryland
Virginia
CT
Michigan
New York
North Carolina has at least 1 event per month so it should be on the list.
And Virginia should definitely be, they are at least 1 a month
VA is on there. NC should be on their definitely!
Tired Been waiting for a while for a Florida tournament.
(Nov. 12, 2013  3:26 AM)TC01017 Wrote: Tired Been waiting for a while for a Florida tournament.

It never worked out in Florida, even if we introduced the BeyMap to keep track of Members everywhere and that there are agglomerations near Florida, and even if we announced the deal of the twenty-dollar BeyStadium Attack Type which was admittedly thought for regions like Sydney and Florida ... The problem is with you guys there : not enough people stay around for what, a year, just so that there are approximately eight people active at once, and nobody really takes the initiative to take the measures necessary to organise a tournament there.
(Nov. 12, 2013  3:26 AM)TC01017 Wrote: Tired Been waiting for a while for a Florida tournament.
WAIT! Where in FL are you from? PM Me! I've been trying to start something up for a while.
With Coach back I think MI is going to have a brighter future, especially during the summer. I believe MI will be even more active with 2 experienced hosts now.
(Nov. 12, 2013  3:31 AM)Kai-V Wrote:

It never worked out in Florida, even if we introduced the BeyMap to keep track of Members everywhere and that there are agglomerations near Florida, and even if we announced the deal of the twenty-dollar BeyStadium Attack Type which was admittedly thought for regions like Sydney and Florida ... The problem is with you guys there : not enough people stay around for what, a year, just so that there are approximately eight people active at once, and nobody really takes the initiative to take the measures necessary to organise a tournament there.

Yeah, to add on Florida is a large state with a spread out population, thanks to no climate restrictions and level altitude, there are major cities, but most people live in suburbs away from them anyways. Many bladers live on opposite sides of the map, as the case with me and The Supreme One. Hopefully I will be able to make it out to Jacksonville soon.
I'm wondering if the trick for larger, spread out states like Florida would be to hold a larger event, possibly spread out over 2 days, with multiple tournaments. It'd be a large undertaking, but might draw in a big enough crowd who'd be willing to travel for something more than a single tournament.
(Nov. 15, 2013  2:55 PM)rkalajian Wrote: I'm wondering if the trick for larger, spread out states like Florida would be to hold a larger event, possibly spread out over 2 days, with multiple tournaments. It'd be a large undertaking, but might draw in a big enough crowd who'd be willing to travel for something more than a single tournament.

So, on a weekend, one Zero-G, and then on the other day, Standard format ?
If I may have some input here, I'm no tournament host but I'd say that would work. Colosseum (huge event with multiple tournaments over the weekend) drew a huge crowd last year. We had bladers from Massachusetts to Florida come to compete!
(Nov. 15, 2013  3:01 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Nov. 15, 2013  2:55 PM)rkalajian Wrote: I'm wondering if the trick for larger, spread out states like Florida would be to hold a larger event, possibly spread out over 2 days, with multiple tournaments. It'd be a large undertaking, but might draw in a big enough crowd who'd be willing to travel for something more than a single tournament.

So, on a weekend, one Zero-G, and then on the other day, Standard format ?

I'm thinking something like running a few Zero-G and Standards throughout the day. You could probably fit 2 per day with a small break in between. Throw in some non-tournament Beyblade events and you may get something big enough to draw people from a good distance.
That would be a great idea if we had a popular event to host at. My worry is that it might be like Connecticon, where we tried to hype it up and expected a huge turnout, & they ended up putting us in the corner lol
If I can get something organized at the park I've been looking at, that might also be a good idea. I know that Switch & his brother would be traveling pretty far. Trying to fit in a couple tournaments if we had 8 people who were up for it would be a good idea to encourage bladers to travel.
(Nov. 15, 2013  3:13 PM)theblackdragon Wrote: If I may have some input here, I'm no tournament host but I'd say that would work. Colosseum (huge event with multiple tournaments over the weekend) drew a huge crowd last year. We had bladers from Massachusetts to Florida come to compete!
Colosseum was nice by drawing crowds (probably due to months of preparing and having RTV's to add excitement), but the smaller tournaments that were suppose to happen on Friday and Sunday were huge flops because about everybody just wanted to go to the main tournament. Although if you get enough people and get a good location (or locations) then the events would be pretty cool.

@rkalajian
Wow those are some big ideas, hopefully they will happen!

NC's tournament scene is dying badly. We are only getting 8-9 people to show up lately. I miss our Summer tournaments since all of those were close to 20. Colosseum and the Qualifier hyped up some interest I guess and people were just a lot less busy in the Summer. Maybe sooner of later we will have a good turn out.
It seems like quite a few areas are starting to struggle at drawing bladers. I think bladers need to really share their hobby with their friends first off. and also it would help immensely if bladers, their parents, would be willing to car pool and pick up bladers maybe not quite on the way but within a few minutes. Some of our tournaments we get bladers traveling 3 hours from one side of the state to the other. If those cars carried more friends, it would get them not only to come to more tournaments obviously but more passionate about blading and going to others.

RK's idea is good and very passionate. But like me he is an adult who is willing to hang out two days with beyblades. There is a reason the music at Football half time shows isn't directed towards football fans, it's to draw bigger audience. Most of your parents would be considered as the wife or girlfriend watching the superbowl that doesn't care about the game they want to see the halftime show and the commercials. There has to be other options and to that point if hosts set up their tournaments around times like festivals, carnivals or other events like conventions it give the parents and rest of the family something to do while the bladers get to do what they want.

Yuko Ray had a tournament here in Grand Rapids and by coincidence was right during Art Prize which has become a huge draw in the area, getting Artists from around the world in a one of a kind competition. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend do to work. but if we were to schedule more tournaments around events such as these you can really make a a plea to your parents to take you on a bit further of a distance because they have something to entertain them too.

With that saying I would love to have a tournament possibly in the Maryland - Pennsylvania - Indiana stretch that could draw bladers from NC, Maryland, NY, MI, IL, up and down the East Coast to the Midwest. If there is a time that would draw non-blading families to an event in the area at the same time as the tournament would help immensely. Arupaeo, any ideas?
Maybe there could be tournaments in Ohio too. I've seen the Ohio threads......And, yeah they're pretty much dead.
Chicago is pretty active... with unofficial tournaments :\ Although, if my tournament next weekend goes well and I give Kai-V the results, I'm sure she can trust me with tournaments.
(Nov. 15, 2013  10:31 PM)KeyBlader500 Wrote: Maybe there could be tournaments in Ohio too. I've seen the Ohio threads......And, yeah they're pretty much dead.
I think you totally missed the point. but it's up to bladers to put together their local tournaments...
As far as CT goes, I just got two more people into blading, who will (most likely) attend future events.

After the presentation yesterday (Go to Random Thoughts 5 for info), they said I may be able to advertise my future events in the paper, which would definitely help popularity.
CT seems like Michigan was just a couple years ago with Da-Wretched One and I starting out. Congrats guys keep it up!
(Nov. 15, 2013  10:40 PM)Leone19 Wrote: As far as CT goes, I just got two more people into blading, who will (most likely) attend future events.

After the presentation yesterday (Go to Random Thoughts 5 for info), they said I may be able to advertise my future events in the paper, which would definitely help popularity.

What's funny is that I never thought to advertise in the local paper...or even the local CTV station!
Here is What I think the Ranks are for Tourney Hotspots

1) Canada
-Every two weeks
-Never fails

2)North Carolina
-So many successful people hosting at GT (Game Theory)
-Every Month
-Never Falls from the Pattern

3) Maryland
-Monthly
-Never has fallen from this pattern
-Has less Bladers then NC though...

4) New York
-Monthly
-Occasionally falls from that pattern

5) Connecticut
-Every two months

6)Virginia