Legal vs illegal anime streaming sites (Must Read)

Molebeat is a Japanese lawfirm.

You can have a free Crunchyroll and Funimation account, and watch their anime for free. However premium members get simulcasts at least 30 minutes after Japan, while free users 1 week after.
(Feb. 26, 2021  4:17 AM)TheGolden Blade Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  12:58 AM)Spin Stealing Wrote: Thank you DranzerX13 for providing this info. Also how did you get your "Member" tag to get this different color? And TheGolden Blade, there are huge punishments for this kind of stuff

uh no there isnt. but i still dont watch it illegally

Do you mean for watching illegal streaming or casting illegal streaming?
am i really going to get arrested for watching beyblade burst sparking episode 48 subbed on gogoanime lol?
(Feb. 26, 2021  8:49 AM)DranzerX13 Wrote: Molebeat is a Japanese lawfirm.

You can have a free Crunchyroll and Funimation account, and watch their anime for free. However premium members get simulcasts at least 30 minutes after Japan, while free users 1 week after.

hey DranzerX13. why is molebeat doing this kind of stuff. i've been seeing peoples videos get deleted because of it.
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:36 PM)Achilles25 Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  8:49 AM)DranzerX13 Wrote: Molebeat is a Japanese lawfirm.

hey DranzerX13. why is molebeat doing this kind of stuff. i've been seeing peoples videos get deleted because of it.
Well this is how copyright works. It is illegal to do copy someone elses work and earn money out of it.
I really don't think some of you guys understand. People make money when people buy their carp. Take Crunchyroll and, what, one piece. I think one piece is produced by Toei. Crunchyroll makes a deal with toei, and Crunchyroll buys One Piece eps. Then, the eps are stolen, by, say, 9anime. So, crunchy roll loses money, toei loses money, and the pirating site loses nada. so, uh, that's not good, right? doesn't matter if you buy merchandise or whatever. the eps are the main source of revenue from most of these companies. Ofc, beyblade is a toy line, so that's kinda different. However, its still disrespectful to the animators, CGI peeps, VA's, directors, writers, and everyone else who worked on the project, for an average of TWO MONTHS AN EPISODE.
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:45 PM)The Blacknight Wrote: I really don't think some of you guys understand. People make money when people buy their carp. Take Crunchyroll and, what, one piece. I think one piece is produced by Toei. Crunchyroll makes a deal with toei, and Crunchyroll buys One Piece eps. Then, the eps are stolen, by, say, 9anime. So, crunchy roll loses money, toei loses money, and the pirating site loses nada. so, uh, that's not good, right? doesn't matter if you buy merchandise or whatever. the eps are the main source of revenue from most of these companies. Ofc, beyblade is a toy line, so that's kinda different. However, its still disrespectful to the animators, CGI peeps, VA's, directors, writers, and everyone else who worked on the project, for an average of TWO MONTHS AN EPISODE.

Why should we care for people who don’t care for us?
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:48 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:45 PM)The Blacknight Wrote: I really don't think some of you guys understand. People make money when people buy their carp. Take Crunchyroll and, what, one piece. I think one piece is produced by Toei. Crunchyroll makes a deal with toei, and Crunchyroll buys One Piece eps. Then, the eps are stolen, by, say, 9anime. So, crunchy roll loses money, toei loses money, and the pirating site loses nada. so, uh, that's not good, right? doesn't matter if you buy merchandise or whatever. the eps are the main source of revenue from most of these companies. Ofc, beyblade is a toy line, so that's kinda different. However, its still disrespectful to the animators, CGI peeps, VA's, directors, writers, and everyone else who worked on the project, for an average of TWO MONTHS AN EPISODE.

Well uh, all the people who worked on these animes probably care since they put effort into what they do. It doesn’t matter what if CR cares, and I doubt illegal websites care about you at all. If anything, they would care less than CR.
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:48 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:45 PM)The Blacknight Wrote: I really don't think some of you guys understand. People make money when people buy their carp. Take Crunchyroll and, what, one piece. I think one piece is produced by Toei. Crunchyroll makes a deal with toei, and Crunchyroll buys One Piece eps. Then, the eps are stolen, by, say, 9anime. So, crunchy roll loses money, toei loses money, and the pirating site loses nada. so, uh, that's not good, right? doesn't matter if you buy merchandise or whatever. the eps are the main source of revenue from most of these companies.  Ofc, beyblade is a toy line, so that's kinda different. However, its still disrespectful to the animators, CGI peeps, VA's, directors, writers, and everyone else who worked on the project, for an average of TWO MONTHS AN EPISODE.

?

uhm, I don't think most of these people are sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or racist, but okay.

also, mutual resepect is sorta a thing. also how society works. someone does smith for you, you do smth for them back. this is how you buy smth from the grocery store. I want food, so ill give you money.
I watch your stuff and give you money why should you care about how I give you money. I can buy the blu ray for Naruto and they get money.

(Feb. 26, 2021  5:53 PM)The Blacknight Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:48 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Why should we care for people who don’t care for us?

?

uhm, I don't think most of these people are sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or racist, but okay.

also, mutual resepect is sorta a thing. also how society works. someone does smith for you, you do smth for them back. this is how you buy smth from the grocery store. I want food, so ill give you money.

What the hell does being transphobic have to do with anime piracy. You good bro???????
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:51 PM)BuilderROB Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:48 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Why should we care for people who don’t care for us?

Well uh, all the people who worked on these animes probably care since they put effort into what they do. It doesn’t matter what if CR cares, and I doubt illegal websites care about you at all. If anything, they would care less than CR.

Well at least illegal sites give us better quality and some are even ad free. Also the studio still makes money from the act of selling their product to CR and what not, and CR makes money from premium and all that stuff. I don’t really see the big issue with using illegal streaming sites other than some company may have the potential to profit and they’ll lose that money, but who cares? I know the studio that made it doesn’t and a vast majority of people don’t either.
Not a problem with using illegal sites huh? Then Why's it illegal?
I buy food and pay you back for the food. Where's the problem?

(Feb. 26, 2021  5:57 PM)Free... Hoya Wrote: Not a problem with using illegal sites huh?  Then Why's it illegal?

Copyright
(Feb. 26, 2021  5:57 PM)Free... Hoya Wrote: Not a problem with using illegal sites huh? Then Why's it illegal?

I’m referring to those of us that are civilians and are saying no to piracy sites.
The act of watching something and then gifting money to the producers of the thing isn't problematic in the slightest.
Ik it's copyright, I just meant how people think its no problem since it's illegal and stuff.
(Feb. 26, 2021  6:01 PM)Free... Hoya Wrote: Ik it's copyright, I just meant how people think its no problem since it's illegal and stuff.

Quite simple. It’s because as of yet there haven’t been any consequences for it and if it’s free why not take the opportunity?
I do watch on Illegal Streaming websites, cause I need anime sites which I can watch for free

is wcostream.com website illegal?

(Feb. 26, 2021  6:02 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2021  6:01 PM)Free... Hoya Wrote: Ik it's copyright, I just meant how people think its no problem since it's illegal and stuff.

Quite simple. It’s because as of yet there haven’t been any consequences for it and if it’s free why not take the opportunity?

I watch on illegal animes websites, because it's free, and I love anime. and I don't click on ads or anything else and I have lots of virus protection stuff on my anime-watching computer
(Feb. 26, 2021  4:32 AM)UltimateMaster Wrote: Okayyy, @[Eclipse Force], let’s not illegally download things, and teach people how. Even with a VPN, they can still figure it out, athough the chances are slim.

A few months ago, I actually downloaded an episode for an AMV, not knowing the consequences.

Weeks later, when I had forgotten, I actually got an email from the provider, with a copyright claim on the file. While I deleted it and learned my lesson, that’s not the point, as these things can get you in a lot of trouble, and I’m sure your parents wouldn’t want to pay a fine, which thankfully line didn’t.

TL;DR, don’t download stuff, just do it legally.

I myself downloaded many anime episodes for a MAD MEP on Burst a few months ago. It is almost 12 min long literally an episode length with good bits of editing and a mix of music. (Link in the sign.) You can only get copyrighted by attaching heavily copyrighted music. I have been doing this for 4 years at this point and my friends have been doing this too. Nothing serious happened most of the time it will get a copyright claim next serious to that is a copyright strike (you have 3 strikes until your channel is deleted). Many people do MADs and get millions of views on a hot topic. Like Valt vs Shu in the god season or Ash vs Alain, etc. My point is with a tiny bit of editing and not just putting RAW work with popular music your work won't be recognized that easily by molebeat or D-Rights. (A bit of myself, I deleted my channel myself manually many times last time I had over 2k subs. I deleted the channel because the community went too far, kids didn't behave and went too toxic. This is why I switch to a different community.)
I'm really worried how many of you feel that piracy is fine to do just because you haven't been caught. Just a reminder that piracy is indeed copyright infringement, and is a crime to do, regardless of whether you're caught or not.

Even the mentality of "PLATFORM don't need my money, so I won't pay them" is just...what even. I think there's something both morally and ethically wrong with that approach, and I really hope you're never in a situation where someone owes you something one day and just says "ehh, you already have money, I won't pay you for your service".

Allow me to correct and dispell a few incorrect statements thrown around here:
  • Streaming it online from an unofficial source is piracy. If you want to play the card of "I don't download it", streaming is literally you watching a video by downloading it to your PC temporarily.
  • Buying merchandise doesn't mean piracy is okay because you're "supporting the source". You're not supporting the source; did your $1000 merchandise purchase pay for the translator of the episode you've just watched? The platform it was hosted on? The middleman fees of those who negotiated to make it possible? How about the animators, because the animation studio and the whichever company are doing merchandise are not the same thing. There are so many stages, and your merchandise purchase 100% does not pay for any of that stuff.
  • You 100% can be chased up for your online piracy. It isn't unheard of for repeat offenders to receive letters from their ISPs or a governing body to essentially issue a cease and desist of your actions, and sometimes ask you to pay a fine. Just because you haven't been caught, doesn't mean you won't get caught or that you're not being monitored.
  • "People don't care about me so why should I care for them" - I mean, you're watching the work that they have presumably lovingly put together. The animator, the translator etc...they all very much care about their audience watching, otherwise they'd just do a shoddy job of their work. If you don't care about them...perhaps stop religiously following their work too then?
I'm just going to drop this article on Epicdope here as a fantastic argument regarding piracy as well. Definitely worth the read and covers even more points that I haven't covered.
(Feb. 28, 2021  1:06 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: I'm really worried how many of you feel that piracy is fine to do just because you haven't been caught. Just a reminder that piracy is indeed copyright infringement, and is a crime to do, regardless of whether you're caught or not.

Even the mentality of "PLATFORM don't need my money, so I won't pay them" is just...what even. I think there's something both morally and ethically wrong with that approach, and I really hope you're never in a situation where someone owes you something one day and just says "ehh, you already have money, I won't pay you for your service".

Allow me to correct and dispell a few incorrect statements thrown around here:
  • Streaming it online from an unofficial source is piracy. If you want to play the card of "I don't download it", streaming is literally you watching a video by downloading it to your PC temporarily.
  • Buying merchandise doesn't mean piracy is okay because you're "supporting the source". You're not supporting the source; did your $1000 merchandise purchase pay for the translator of the episode you've just watched? The platform it was hosted on? The middleman fees of those who negotiated to make it possible? How about the animators, because the animation studio and the whichever company are doing merchandise are not the same thing. There are so many stages, and your merchandise purchase 100% does not pay for any of that stuff.
  • You 100% can be chased up for your online piracy. It isn't unheard of for repeat offenders to receive letters from their ISPs or a governing body to essentially issue a cease and desist of your actions, and sometimes ask you to pay a fine. Just because you haven't been caught, doesn't mean you won't get caught or that you're not being monitored.
  • "People don't care about me so why should I care for them" - I mean, you're watching the work that they have presumably lovingly put together. The animator, the translator etc...they all very much care about their audience watching, otherwise they'd just do a shoddy job of their work. If you don't care about them...perhaps stop religiously following their work too then?
I'm just going to drop this article on Epicdope here as a fantastic argument regarding piracy as well. Definitely worth the read and covers even more points that I haven't covered.

"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem."
-Mahatama Ghandi

I think these videos are pretty cool and better than me in getting points across
You SHOULD Pirate Anime. - YouTube
You SHOULD Pirate Anime 2 - YouTube
I really don’t know if it’s an illegal site or not but I’m sticking with animedao cos it’s the only site not blocked on my school iPad XD

It’s really late on sparking episodes tho. I need to find a vpn soon
Why so much Funimation voice actors so scummy making me not want to pay Funimation and their voice actors by association. Why does Crunchyroll not give a bunch of money to the anime industry as promised, have a janky site, and uses most of the money to create carp anime and only 3 of them are relevant, those 3 being trash meaning all of them wouldn't generate a sustainable amount of income to give to the anime industry, especially after Crunchyroll hogs all the money and they wouldn't even give most of the remaining stuff to the studios anyways. Also, why does every site that isn't these 2 have barely anime relevant shows?????
(Feb. 28, 2021  1:46 AM)Eclipse Force Wrote: Why so much Funimation voice actors so scummy making me not want to pay Funimation and their voice actors by association. Why does Crunchyroll not give a bunch of money to the anime industry as promised, have a janky site, and uses most of the money to create carp anime and only 3 of them are relevant, those 3 being trash meaning all of them wouldn't generate a sustainable amount of income to give to the anime industry, especially after Crunchyroll hogs all the money and they wouldn't even give most of the remaining stuff to the studios anyways. Also, why does every site that isn't these 2 have barely anime relevant shows?????

A premium membership isn't required to use Funimation or Crunchyroll, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you don't like Funimation's dubs, that's fine. No one's forcing you to watch them. I'm not sure as to how much money Crunchyroll gives back to the industry, but what I do know is that it far exceeds what the illegal sites do. On top of that, as I previously mentioned, they actually buy the rights to stream the anime, unlike the illegal sites.
As for your last point, I'll admit that illegal websites have more anime to choose from. However, this is because illegal sites don't pay for the rights to stream the anime legally, unlike Crunchyroll, Funimation, VRV, and Viz. 
Also, as previously mentioned, pirating is a punishable offense that can result in fines and even prison sentences.