Baltimore, MD
Tournament Results
Baltimore Science Fiction Society building
3310 East Baltimore Street
  Building has a purple door.
1:00 PM on 10/12/2019
Format
Burst

Most official Beyblade Burst gear can be used.

View Rulebook
Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
0 cash  

WBO Tournament Fees temporarily waived

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

Host: Deceased Crab

Format: Burst Standard. Please read the Burst Standard rules at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mbjw-O...mLOgNQ-c9A . I know it says "Old" in the title, but that's a joke on the product "Old Bay". Go ahead and bring your Lord layers.

LocationThis event will be held indoors at the Baltimore Science Fiction Society building, which has a large library. http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.292125...,+MD+21224
[Image: 1YQygRH.png]
Parking will be street parallel parking, there are no nearby lots or structures, but parking doesn't seem to be a problem on Saturdays.
Please tell your parents or whoever's driving that there are plenty of books to read and chairs to sit in.

Time: As the tournament will start promptly at 1:00pm, please plan to arrive around 12:00pm when registration will begin. Registration will close at 12:30am. If the participant cap has not been met at this time, waitlisted players will be offered a spot. Confirming your attendance on the WBO event page does not substitute for registration at the venue.
Do not arrive before 11:30am! The building will not be open before 11:30am, so please, don't. Go get some breakfast while you wait.

Prizes: The prizes include Revive Phoenix Silver Wing version, Hell Salamander Gravity Yielding from RB12, and Dead Hades 8'Expand Xtreme' from RB15. Yes, I know they're not the newest and the greatest, but they're still very good parts, still viable in today's meta, and I paid for them out of pocket, and I hope you enjoy them.

Other Information:
We have a 24 participant cap, and that has been met. The current list of people I will be notifying if any spots open up is as follows:
1. Blueeyes
2. DillonB1118
3. NevBey2019
4. RYANTHEDRAGON98
If bladers need to drop, post in the thread, and I will try to notify people waiting to hurry up and register. We can't go above 24 participants, but we'll try to make sure that people who want to play can.
I have checked, and waitlisting only works at the door on the day of, and nothing is guaranteed.

Even if you can't or don't want to participate, you may show up and enjoy free play with other bladers at the venue.

Be aware of your surroundings. The BSFS organization has generously allowed us to hold a Beyblade tournament at a wonderful indoor venue. We are guests in this space, and we should be respectful. There are many books there! If you want to borrow one, use the card catalog box in the front room. Please do not use the board games on the shelf, you are more than welcome to come to BSFS at a later time to boardgame. Anyone interested in BSFS events should definitely go to http://www.bsfs.org/index.html and attend those. Anyone who's looking for some good books to read, well, you've come to the right Beyblade tournament.

Please come prepared. It is helpful for both hosts and judges if all participants bring at least one Takara Tomy or Hasbro-manufactured Beyblade of their own and more than one launcher when possible. Additionally, parents of children under the age of 13 must be present for the duration of the event, as tournament end times can be difficult to estimate, and we would hate for someone to be left behind once it is over.

Be aware of your belongings. We'd advise users to please, please, please look after your stuff. While yes this is a Beyblade tournament and we're not suggesting that any of us would attempt to take each other's stuff it is still happening at a public venue where other people (who may not be so friendly) are going to be present as well. Of course, if you see a personal belonging lying around bring it up any of the judges so we can return it to the right person. Your co-operation is appreciated!

All players must arrive on-time. The tournament will begin no later than 1:00 PM and is expected to run for about 3 hours or less. It absolutely needs to finish by 5:00 PM. Please plan accordingly. If you do not arrive at the scheduled start time, you risk being excluded from the tournament. The software we use to run our events–Challonge–does not allow us to add in extra participants once the tournament has started.

If you know in advance that you will be late, please post in this thread or contact someone at the event and depending on the circumstances we can perhaps still include you if we know you will arrive soon.

Spread the Word!

Are you as excited about the festivities as we are?! If so, be sure to tell your friends about it! And if you haven't already, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

[/url][Image: twitteric.png] @worldbeyblade

[url=http://worldbeyblade.org/images/facebookic.png][Image: facebookic.png] WorldBeybladeOrganization

Spread the word! 
#BEYBLADE #MDBEYBLADE #WBO

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

Great tournament everyone congrats to the Top 3!
Congratulations to the Top 4!

1st Place - @“Ardmore Bladers”!
2nd Place - Hello321!
3rd Place - DeceasedCrab!
4th Place - @“The Supreme One”!
(Oct. 12, 2019  10:18 PM)CheetoBlader Wrote: Congratulations to the Top 4!

2nd Place - Hello321!

Awesome! Can't wait till im able to go to a MD Tournament

And can't wait for Ardmore Bladers vids coming up
I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament! Next time I'll see about having it uncapped. 6 people dropped, but we had some late joiners and had 21 participants! More about the tournament later.
(Oct. 12, 2019  10:21 PM)RED NINJA 0829 Wrote:
(Oct. 12, 2019  10:18 PM)CheetoBlader Wrote: Congratulations to the Top 4!

2nd Place - Hello321!

Awesome! Can't wait till im able to go to a MD Tournament

And can't wait for Ardmore Bladers vids coming up

Yeah, I got some footage, but did anyone else get any footage that I could use?
I got some video and video TSO took. I'll send it when I get home and get permission.
(Oct. 12, 2019  9:34 PM)Ardmore Bladers Wrote: This was a great tournament! A fantastic location choice by DeceasedCrab! Also, did anyone record the final match?

I didn’t unfortunately but recorded a few good matches on DC’s phone & mine (once I had it back in possession). I’ll probably upload some of mine later! 

Thanks for a great tournament DeceasedCrab. Fingers crossed we can use this venue during the winter Smile
Ardmore Bladers Hello321 please send me your winning combos from the whole tournament.

Hilariously, Ardmore had sent his combos 7 minutes before I asked.

My Winning Combos:
LC Perfect Phoenix 00Cross Xtend+ (first stage and deck format)
(Left) Lord Spriggan 0Wall Bearing (first stage)
Judgement Diabolos Sting Quick' (deck format)

My memory is bad now. If anyone remembers me winning with anything else, please let me know. I don't think my Zwei Bahamut Sting Quick' or Xtreme' ever won me a match.

Let's talk about how Old BeyBlade went!

The tournament began at 1:10 PM. The first stage ended at 2:50 PM. The finals began at 3:15. The finals concluded at 4:12 PM.

First off, thank you all for joining me at the BSFS library for the event! It was a lot of fun. A lot of BeyBlade happened. Thanks to all the people who helped judge matches! Thanks to the judges for bringing extra Beystadiums.

Let's start with some good news: BSFS was happy with how the event went! We didn't make too much of a mess (only one orange soda was spilled) and although our presence was unusual to BSFS regulars, we were decent enough guests in their space, and they would welcome us back for another tournament. I will work with their schedule and see if I can get us something in November or December. Likely December, November's already quite beybusy in this region.
The idea has been raised by BSFS leaders that we could potentially have a Beyblade event at Balticon, their yearly convention that takes place during Memorial Day Weekend. I will be working with the space coordinator to see if an appropriate room or time can be lined up. If it doesn't work out for next year's Balticon, hey, no worries.

Now some individual topics:

- Apologies if I mispronounced your blader name the entire event. It wasn't done out of malice. I should do better next time.

- The BSFS space can hold a maximum of 110 people. Although we were capped at 24 participants, we had 21 and some relatives, which I would estimate was a total crowd of around 40 people. I would say the room CAN hold more, but not too many more. I would honestly say that 40 participants would be a good maximum, given the unlikelihood we'll hit that at an event at BSFS. I'm tempted to cap at 32, but events that hit cap are a bit difficult to deal with, as you saw in the weeks leading up to this event. I'll try 40 and see how that goes.

- Here's a grim subject that we need to discuss, but I did warn you it was going to go on your permanent record. We had a couple of people who pre-registered who didn't show up. In an event that has a cap of 24 participants, this is an especially dire sin; many people didn't go to this event because you had taken spots they needed, and then you didn't even show! And I know, things happen, and often your ability to travel is outside your own control, and it may be easier for someone who's uninvolved (like a parent) to cancel someone else's participation. At the very least, Hitashi and CrimsonBurst contacted me directly and gave reasons they couldn't make it. Chetder contacted me directly, no reason given. And then there's the people who didn't contact and didn't show. That's Eric765, Burster516, and NightmareChaos; I should like to know what happened there, I hope you are all okay.
As future Beyblade events at BSFS will still be capped, but at a higher cap, I'm hoping no-shows won't be a problem, because ideally we won't hit cap. But if we do hit cap, and some of those registered are bladers who were no-shows at Old BeyBlade? If that happens I will be taking steps to make sure that people who show up to events get registration priority.

- Because 6 of the original 24 didn't make it, 3 bladers who showed up did get to participate instead. One of them even made it to the finals, funny how Byes work.

- We had a people who wanted to judge but hadn't fully read the judge's guide. Yes, it's a lot of data, and it can be hard to read. But, it's important. Please do not be upset if your judging credentials are called into question; one must be sure of these things. The best way to become a judge? Talk to one of the people judging at an event, and get permission to shadow them and learn from them, and have them watch you judge a few matches as well.

- We had a stadium go maverick on us late in the event (this is a videogame reference almost none of you will understand, but I'm okay with that). We had two Lord on Bearing combos that were spinning in little circles and not moving towards each other; it was determined that the stadium has seen better days. We thank the Beystadium for all its hard work in Beyblade matches over the years and wish it a soothing retirement. We had two stadiums for the remainder of the event, but by then it was round 5. It slowed down round 5 and the finals, but that was okay.

- It was nice to sit behind a desk and organize for once, instead of judging. I did a little judging, but not much. Honestly, it was a soothing break and I look forward to doing it again.

- Calculating who made it to the finals is probably the worst part of any Beyblade tournament. The rules for breaking ties are... beyond arcane. Beyond unclear. And trying to ensure you send the right people to the finals is a nightmare. I have seen finals entries go wrong when other people calculate it, I have caused finals entries to go wrong myself in other tournaments, and the calculating of who goes to the finals is always an unpleasant and stressful occurance.
So, please, please, please, don't show up at the organizer table and ask if you're in the finals. Because:
1. The first stage isn't even done yet, and we can't officially determine who is in the finals until that's over.
2. You've asked several times already, and it counts as being rude every time past the first, and possibly the first time as well.
3. We're still working on it. The rules regarding Buchholz and same record wins, even when the rules are clear, are a severe pain in the butt to calculate. And the lower the number of people in the tournament, the more 8+ way tied records you get.
4. Every time you ask me that it causes me great pain.
Please just be patient while we determine who is in the finals. Yes, there wasn't instant feedback, it took like 15 minutes to determine. And you know what? It's difficult for us too. Please be patient.

- Hello321, please get yourself a nice launcher. You deserve a nice launcher. Your green Hasbro launcher is really beginning to struggle. I recommend an LR Ripcord launcher myself, but of course, the choice is entirely yours. Look, just get the launcher and I'll give you one of my spare grips. But you've got to retire that green monster. And give me your dang winning combos!
Blast. I still haven't heard back from Hello321 about what his layer weight was for Zwei Longinus. Other than that, processing is going well. Spreadsheet is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing and I'm going to upload the winning combos. I can edit his later.

More thoughts about the tournament:
- OH NO! I forgot to do a picture of the top 3! Dangit!

- I love the sound of my own voice and will do anything to talk into a megaphone.

- I think this is tournament is the first time I've ever beaten Yami in a match, ever. Historically, he just annihilates me.

- And on that note, Hello321 is making an art form out of defeating me multiple times in a single tournament. I think he did that to me last time too?

- I forgot to go into detail about this earlier, but we had some very good blading here today. Looking at bladers progress over the course of many tournaments over the past few months, you can really see the difference that persistence makes. Hello321 continues to prove himself as the number one rising star in the east coast Beyblading community. Don't think we haven't noticed, you've been kicking serious butt! And knocking me out of finals repeatedly. The Supreme One continues to have extremely strong showings during first stage, undefeated during first stage this time, and generally makes it to at least quarter finals. Per usual and surprising no one, Yami and Ardmore Bladers do well. Ardmore's final match against Hello321 was not caught on film, I don't think. MrBlade continues his solid performance in first stage, although finals matches are always tricky. The Delaware contingent of NoahRC51 and The 7-eleven have both been improving as they attend more tournaments. beymaster15963 has been doing well as always, but the fates can be cruel. The lower the number of participants, the more unpleasant the 7 way tie and the less clear the path to the finals are. Others ran into trouble either early on or later on; too many losses too early on can make it a tough climb to the finals, and even one pivotal match in the final round can make the difference.

- We had a lot of other bladers returning for their 2nd or 3rd tournament. Keep at it, and you'll go far.
DeceasedCrab, I’m pretty sure that Hellos Layer Weight was Metsu, as he used the stock Zwei Longinus Layer.
(Oct. 14, 2019  2:29 AM)Ardmore Bladers Wrote: DeceasedCrab, I’m pretty sure that Hellos Layer Weight was Metsu, as he used the stock Zwei Longinus Layer.

Good enough for me!

And I think I entered the "Winners" section correctly in this thread. Someone let me know when and how I goofed.
(Oct. 14, 2019  2:01 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Blast. I still haven't heard back from Hello321 about what his layer weight was for Zwei Longinus. Other than that, processing is going well. Spreadsheet is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing and I'm going to upload the winning combos. I can edit his later.

- I love the sound of my own voice and will do anything to talk into a megaphone.

- I think this is tournament is the first time I've ever beaten Yami in a match, ever. Historically, he just annihilates me.

- And on that note, Hello321 is making an art form out of defeating me multiple times in a single tournament. I think he did that to me last time too?

- I forgot to go into detail about this earlier, but we had some very good blading here today. Looking at bladers progress over the course of many tournaments over the past few months, you can really see the difference that persistence makes. Hello321 continues to prove himself as the number one rising star in the east coast Beyblading community. Don't think we haven't noticed, you've been kicking serious butt! And knocking me out of finals repeatedly. The Supreme One continues to have extremely strong showings during first stage, undefeated during first stage this time, and generally makes it to at least quarter finals. Per usual and surprising no one, Yami and Ardmore Bladers do well. Ardmore's final match against Hello321 was not caught on film, I don't think. MrBlade continues his solid performance in first stage, although finals matches are always tricky. The Delaware contingent of NoahRC51 and The 7-eleven have both been improving as they attend more tournaments. beymaster15963 has been doing well as always, but the fates can be cruel. The lower the number of participants, the more unpleasant the 7 way tie and the less clear the path to the finals are. Others ran into trouble either early on or later on; too many losses too early on can make it a tough climb to the finals, and even one pivotal match in the final round can make the difference.

- We had a lot of other bladers returning for their 2nd or 3rd tournament. Keep at it, and you'll go far.

I have a video of the last round of the finals
(Oct. 14, 2019  3:39 AM)Hello321 Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2019  2:01 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Blast. I still haven't heard back from Hello321 about what his layer weight was for Zwei Longinus. Other than that, processing is going well. Spreadsheet is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing and I'm going to upload the winning combos. I can edit his later.

I have a video of the last round of the finals

Hello321, can you send it to me? Thanks!