MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion (v1.5 - 9/20/16)

(Jul. 06, 2016  1:42 AM)Mitsu Wrote:
Quote:Lighting CH120RB

You could always use Dark Knight Girago 100RF again-

oh wait.

I wouldn't imagine it posing such a threat to Limited. Scythe CH120RF is still a thing and so is Bakushin 90RF. Even Jade has proven to be good against Lightning RB and for Defense as a whole.

We could probably start talking some more about Gravity once we decide what we're going to do with Dark Knight. Wombat brought up some seriously good points about it. I'll definitely get to doing some tests on it in a bit. Smile

Yeah, I mean Lighting CH120RB is certainly really good against Stamina and some Defense, but it has zero Stamina and will probably lose to Attack quite handily too, just like Samurai Wyvang RB/RSF usually does.

The more tests the merrier! I'll try to start thinking about Gravity soon too, but I'd also like to get some more opinions on Dark Knight if possible.
(Jul. 06, 2016  12:44 AM)Kei Wrote: Although interestingly, I did some testing after reading your post and while MF-H Bakushin Leone 90RSF is definitely rather immovable and my experience is consistent with yours in that respect, my MSF-H Dark Knight Wyvang 85CS was actually able to OS it with a relatively high amount of consistency. The rubber on my preferred CS that I used to accomplish this is worn down a bit, as is the tip, but the plastic tip itself is exposed.

That's odd. I've always found that Bakushin 90RSF was able to OS Dark Knight LTAC via late-game destabilization with its slope, so I wonder what's causing the discrepancies between our results. Cake and I were comparing Bakushin and Jade earlier today, and I told him a theory I had that like Duo, Bakushin becomes better if it is worn and the surface is smoother. As I'm probably the most frequent Bakushin user on the WBO I would be willing to bet mine is a lot more worn than yours, so that might be the reason Wyvang can't spin steal off of it as well. Interestingly enough, I've also had an opponent's Bakushin Herculeo 100HF OS my MSF-H Dark Knight Zirago 90RF, so I have Bakushin winning getting the OS on both sides of the matchup for what it's worth.

(Jul. 06, 2016  12:44 AM)Kei Wrote: This is all great, but the problem is that none of these combos are nearly as versatile and relatively easy to use (in comparison to RF) as Dark Knight Wyvang CS is. Nobody is ever going to pull MF-H Quetzalcoatl 85RF in a tournament because it's use case (if what you're saying is true) is too specific. Lightning L Drago is obviously a much more widely useable Wheel, but even it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of Stamina or reach that Dark Knight can have.

I didn't mean that Lightning or Quetzalcoatl only exist to counter Dark Knight, both Wheels have wider applications such as defeating Stamina types and 145-height Defense. Personally I've always seen it as a tradeoff: Dark Knight has a much higher reach than either of those Wheels, but generally doesn't fare as well vs same-height opponents compared to Lightning or Quetz. Wasn't there some tournament where someone was spamming Dark Knight Girago 90RF, and then got completely shut down in the finals by Earth 90WD? Is that really any different than someone spamming Lightning/Quetz 90RF to get to the finals, and then losing to Earth 230D? I know that Dark Knight Girago is capable of KOing short combos sometimes, especially when you change the Chrome Wheel to Wyvang, but again, I fail to see how that's different than Lightning/Quetz 90RF occasionally KOing tall combos, especially when you change the Track to CH120 as they can still do damage to lower combos as well.

Personally I have continued to use other Attack Wheels, such as Screw, Pegasis, Bandid, and Quetzalcoatl in place of Dark Knight, and it's certainly not due to the psychological reasons associated with using F230GCF or Gravity sparingly. I've just been of the opinion that every competitive Attack Wheel in Limited has a certain role they work best in, and it's all about picking the right tool for the job.

(Jul. 06, 2016  12:44 AM)Kei Wrote: In the end, I guess the better question is: what do you think would happen if Dark Knight were banned? Only good things, in my opinion, as Cake so perfectly outlines below:

(Jul. 03, 2016  5:25 PM)Cake Wrote: My knee-jerk reaction to this is to immediately launch into a debate about how I think Jade is great and Dark Knight isn't game breaking, but after taking some time to think it over, I don't think it really matters whether Dark Knight is broken or if it does have viable counters.

Limited without Dark Knight is simply a better game; even though there is something of a stable type triangle with Dark Knight, that triangle and the meta at large is largely shaped by the threat that Dark Knight poses. It destroys even the most defensive mid-height opponents, threatens super-tall Stamina, and has the potential to spin-steal off of its main weakness, LTDC (which isn't usually enough to earn a win, but every bit helps).

With Dark Knight banned, as Kei said, it opens up the meta to a far wider assortment of Attack types, and reduces the threat to mid-height combos. I don't think there is a different combo that will suddenly take over in Dark Knight's absence; although Jade and Bakushin are highly effective Defense types, they don't have the Stamina or Attack to be threatening the way Libra was. If anything, Flame 230 gets my vote for next "irritating, meta-changing, overused" combo, but it's easily KOed with mid-height Upper Attack combos (which are at best a risky niche choice with Dark Knight around). No other Attack part has the kind of reach that Dark Knight has, so choosing the right Track should become more important, instead of just going low DK and KOing any height. Attackers on mid-height Tracks should lose very consistently to LTDC, and Attackers on lower Tracks won't be able to reach 230 with the kind of power Dark Knight offers.

TL;DR we kill the Batman to give everyone else a chance

Agree with every word.

At the risk of sounding important, maybe this one is a bit on me. Back in January when geetster99 swept that one tournament with MSF-H Dark Knight Girago 85MF I was the only one who was able to beat him (along with 2 other Dark Knight combos), 3-0 using Bakushin LTDC. I remember you asking if anyone had an answer for his combo and I almost spoke up, but decided to stay quiet so people would keep thinking Dark Knight was overpowered and I could exploit this at Anime North (basically I tried to long game the KO Attack scenario). Had I revealed Dark Knight's weakness to LTDC back then, the meta might have shifted in a different direction, but it's a bit too late for that now :')

I still personally disagree with banning Dark Knight, but it seems like I'm in the minority here (I'm still on the fence about the Omega/Libra re-bans tbh). I've never come to see it as overpowered, and frankly when Mitsu casually mentioned that you were thinking of banning it I was somewhat surprised. It's possible that part of my opposition of its ban is due to me also wanting Gravity unbanned, since Dark Knight is one of the newer Limited discoveries capable of checking Gravity and I have a sneaking suspicion that either one or the other is going to happen because banning one Wheel and introducing a new one might be seen as 'too drastic of a change' for one update.
(Jul. 06, 2016  9:08 PM)Kei Wrote:
(Jul. 06, 2016  1:42 AM)Mitsu Wrote:
Quote:Lighting CH120RB

You could always use Dark Knight Girago 100RF again-

oh wait.

I wouldn't imagine it posing such a threat to Limited. Scythe CH120RF is still a thing and so is Bakushin 90RF. Even Jade has proven to be good against Lightning RB and for Defense as a whole.

We could probably start talking some more about Gravity once we decide what we're going to do with Dark Knight. Wombat brought up some seriously good points about it. I'll definitely get to doing some tests on it in a bit. Smile

Yeah, I mean Lighting CH120RB is certainly really good against Stamina and some Defense, but it has zero Stamina and will probably lose to Attack quite handily too, just like Samurai Wyvang RB/RSF usually does.

The more tests the merrier! I'll try to start thinking about Gravity soon too, but I'd also like to get some more opinions on Dark Knight if possible.

off-topic but I don't really think Lighting L-Drago CH120RB have problems with attacker. At last tournament i used it against Lighting L-Drago 85RF and Samurai Wyvang GB145 [i forgot which tip ut had] but it took all hits and won by 3-0. there was more attack types but it always got 3-0 or 3-2.

well it maybe Luck everytime but even when i tested it at home i got almost same results.

Well, I'd have to say that my opinion on the matter of the gravity wheel has been strengthened. In a recent trade with mudorios, I recieved gravity. With my testings, (which I will not post, for reasons mentioned here.) --->
I have found Gravity to be not as overpowering as it used to be. Screw Pisces is basically on par. #UnbanGravity
I'm impartial on dark night/ ronin. I mean, it's similar to the ban of libra. If there is a top that is really dominant and only a handful of good combos can beat it, it sort of breaks the purpose of a healthy metame when you only see those combos being majorly used to nullify eachother. Of course, one can argue that you should ban bakushin for being too strong for defense, but dark Knight is spin stealing, and not to mention that the smash that chrome wheels can exert is almost like if you reversed the direction of the protrusions on pegasis.

Honestly, I would like to argue that dark Knight is almost like the Libra of attack. While it may not provide a weight benefit, it makes chrome wheels far more vicious because of reversing the contact points, and in the sense, it makes the chrome wheels spin opposite from the direction they were made to be spun by from Takara Tomy, which I know they made attack types contact points more like what we see on wyvern in burst, in order to balance a fair metagame because metal has higher recoil. Not to mention being left spinning, so it's really dangerous when you start to spam a trait to challenge and defy the type triangle. I say a combo is healthy when it has about a 75% win rate agains its inferior type, and 25% to its superior type.

And before you object, i'm sure there are crystal wheels that can be utilized to keep Girago and other attack type chrome wheels in a powerful, yet fair metagame.
Wasn't Gravity and Libra banned because they were too versatile (i.e they aren't very partial about what track or bottom they are paired with as they can still work)? If I remember correctly, Dark Knight only works for LTAC, and sticking it in anything higher than 120 is just asking for trouble. I'll do some field research tommorow cuz it's really late in the night right now here.

Sorry if I can come off as rude but I just got back from a long hiatus, and need an update on things.
(Jul. 28, 2016  7:19 PM)RDF3 Wrote: Wasn't Gravity and Libra banned because they were too versatile (i.e they aren't very partial about what track or bottom they are paired with as they can still work)? If I remember correctly, Dark Knight only works for LTAC, and sticking it in anything higher than 120 is just asking for trouble. I'll do some field research tommorow cuz it's really late in the night right now here.

Sorry if I can come off as rude but I just got back from a long hiatus, and need an update on things.

IIRC Gravity was banned because it supposedly could KO and spin-steal to OS effectively on the same combo. Personally, I've found it to be rather unreliable at one or the other no matter what setup I try, at least not enough to be OP.

Libra definitely fits the bill for versatility; it has excellent Defense and Stamina, and can even KO Stamina fairly easily. Although I love Libra, banning it was justified.

Dark Knight is in between; it's not strong in multiple types like Libra, but it does have similar OSing potential to Gravity and can strike a much wider range of opposing heights. The reason I feel it should be banned is more about the nature of Limited than Dark Knight being some overpowered juggernaut.
In other formats, bans are not to be taken lightly, and are to be avoided if at all possible, and are used as a last resort against game-breaking parts. In every other format, the intention is to allow the game to be played "as is", with corrections made only to remove overpowered threats to the game (like Odin in Burst) The philosophy of Limited allows us to tinker with the game balance more - the ban list exists more to promote fun and balanced gameplay instead of being a drastic, last-resort measure.
The issue with Dark Knight is that it dominates the Attack portion of the meta, and its strengths and weaknesses exert an unusually large amount of influence over the rest of the meta. Dark Knight obliterates mid-height opponents - you either go to 230 height or 85 height to squeeze into the extreme edges of the height game to avoid its reach. Dark Knight isn't great at KOing other low-track combos; it's not great at OSing opponents either. But those two "not great" factors combine to improve its odds, even slightly, and that, combined with its excellent performance against the mid-range, makes it a very powerful choice. Any other Attack wheel will require you to use a taller Track to retain that same effectiveness against mid-height to tall opponents, which makes them more vulnerable to low combos. All Attack wheels have a band of heights that they are effective and ineffective against; Dark Knight is versatile in the sense that it slightly outclasses pretty much every other Attack wheel in most scenarios. It's not unbeatable, or even horribly overpowered; LTDC and Flame 230 are commonly used and effective counters that have use beyond the niche as a Dark Knight counter. But I find a game where there are a variety of Attack wheels in use, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses, far preferable to one where one setup will do the trick most of the time.
(Jul. 23, 2016  7:07 PM)Flame~Capricorn Wrote:
I have found Gravity to be not as overpowering as it used to be. Screw Pisces is basically on par. #UnbanGravity

He raised a really good point here, even if it isn't related to the Dark Knight discussion.

Cake: Isn't Pegasis also able to do the same thing as Dark Knight? I mean, they're pretty similar in terms of versatility: Pegasis obliterates LTDC at CH120 or 145-height, and can still do decently against 230 or 85 heights at those tracks. If anything, I feel Dark Knight's advantage is that it's the only left spin Crystal Wheel rather than attack power.
(Jul. 29, 2016  4:47 PM)RDF3 Wrote:
(Jul. 23, 2016  7:07 PM)Flame~Capricorn Wrote:

He raised a really good point here, even if it isn't related to the Dark Knight discussion.

Cake: Isn't Pegasis also able to do the same thing as Dark Knight? I mean, they're pretty similar in terms of versatility: Pegasis obliterates LTDC at CH120 or 145-height, and can still do decently against 230 or 85 heights at those tracks. If anything, I feel Dark Knight's advantage is that it's the only left spin Crystal Wheel rather than attack power.

Dark Knight has less issues with recoil than Pegasus, is (IMO) stronger, and even a small chance of a OS by spin steal is a substantial advantage. Basically, Dark Knight is just slightly better or at least competitive with any other Attack wheel, while the rest tend to be a bit more specialized - Lightning and Gravity can spin steal and hit hard, but don't have the same massive vertical range DK has; Pegasus is effective against most opponents but suffers from recoil and can't spin steal; Vulcan has strong Upper Attack but has less range and is ineffective against lower opponents; and Screw has excellent Upper Attack but is weak in any other department and has a limited range. Each other Attack setup has its own strengths and weaknesses; Dark Knight overshadows the rest most of the time, being just a little better and just a little safer than any other option.

With regards to stadium legality and testing bias, I'm all for more tests, and I agree that although the BB-10 is the preferred stadium, dismissing tests in other legal Stadiums is unfair and damaging to the community as a whole. However, I strongly believe that Stadiums with inadequate or completely missing Tornado Ridges should not be legal for tournaments. This includes the currently legal red floor BB-46 and Standard type Beystadium, as well as my own Sonokong Attack type Beystadium. This leaves the Triple Type, Super Control, and Takara Attack-type Stadium as the legal options, though I'm open to the Burst stadium being legalized in the interest of making it easier to obtain a legal Stadium.
Isn't LTAC supposed to counter mid-height customs though? Because I was under the impression that LTAC are supposed to do well against mid-height.

As for the attack wheels you listed, pretty much nailed it on their strengths and weaknesses. It's Upper Smash though, as Upper Attack is nonexistent in MFB- metal-on-metal contact means beys will bounce off on impact rather than actually get uppered properly. I believe th!nk has a link in his sig that covers this, it would be rather good to read.

Urgh, I wish I had access to online shopping but I don't even have Paypal and MFB is basically impossible to find in Indonesia today (heck, not even Burst made it in here) so I need to conserve my rubber tips. But the long hiatus i took did a number on my knowledge.
Limited Ban List v1.5, 9/20/16 Wrote:CHANGE LIST
Newly Banned
  • CRYSTAL/ELEMENT WHEEL: Dark Knight/Ronin
Newly Unbanned
  • WHEEL: Gravity (and all Perseus Clear Wheels)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WHEELS
  • All Synchroms (NOTE: Non-Synchromed Zero-G wheels are legal!)
  • All 4D/Hyperblade Metal Wheels EXCEPT Jade
  • Basalt
  • Hell
  • Libra
CRYSTAL/ELEMENT WHEELS
  • Dark Knight/Ronin
TRACKS
  • BD145
  • SA165
  • E230
  • SP230
BOTTOMS
  • RDF

For more detail on this new ban list, please see our news post. Please discuss these changes here.
I know what we were all thinking when we heard of the Bat-Ban:
[insert Joker joke here]
But seriously, I support your ban (at least according to what others have said on the topic).
Also, what makes Thunder/Infinity ok and Libra not ok?
(Sep. 23, 2016  2:11 AM)CentrellAvenger Wrote: Also, what makes Thunder/Infinity ok and Libra not ok?

Libra is better in almost every aspect. It is heavier, provides better stamina, defense, and recoil—which can be used for success depending on the match up.
(Sep. 23, 2016  2:13 AM)Mitsu Wrote:
(Sep. 23, 2016  2:11 AM)CentrellAvenger Wrote: Also, what makes Thunder/Infinity ok and Libra not ok?

Libra is better in almost every aspect. It is heavier, provides better stamina, defense, and recoil—which can be used for success depending on the match up.

Ah, didn't see that coming. As I don't own a Libra (yet >:-) ) I wouldn't be able to say.
Wait, recoil?
I'm the recoil re-coiler!
Chief 2002 - Idea!
(Sep. 23, 2016  2:57 AM)CentrellAvenger Wrote: Ah, didn't see that coming. As I don't own a Libra (yet >:-) ) I wouldn't be able to say.
Wait, recoil?
I'm the recoil re-coiler!
Chief 2002 - Idea!

I guess he meant that Libra have some recoil from bellow and above. I think it allow for it able to KO stamina types too
Now we just have to deal with the burst problems and trash Deathshcyther!
I think the Death wheel should be unbanned, it can be beaten by a strong stamina type with BGrin or a strong attack type with good smash attack
(Apr. 30, 2017  8:03 PM)darkelf Wrote: I think the Death wheel should be unbanned, it can be beaten by a strong stamina type with BGrin or a strong attack type with good smash attack

Which Metal Wheels?
(Apr. 30, 2017  8:03 PM)darkelf Wrote: I think the Death wheel should be unbanned, it can be beaten by a strong stamina type with BGrin or a strong attack type with good smash attack

Problem is, you'd have to unban the good attack wheels lol. Death would run amock here, due to no synchroms allowed.
(Apr. 30, 2017  8:18 PM)Suzaku-X Wrote: Problem is, you'd have to unban the good attack wheels lol. Death would run amock here, due to no synchroms allowed.

well is it really a synchrome if it is meant to be 2 pieces? idk to much about synchromesh but it doesn't seem like it would be
(Apr. 30, 2017  10:09 PM)darkelf Wrote: well is it really a synchrome if it is meant to be 2 pieces? idk to much about synchromesh but it doesn't seem like it would be

I mean, the Zero-G (Shogun Steel) stuff. If you combine 2 metal wheels from Zero G, that is illegal. (in this format) Most of Death's potential counters are these blades, and so without these counters, Death would literally punt things like Burn and Flame into mediocrity again.

And Death is meant to be one metal wheel, with two pieces, but it is NOT a Synchrome.
(Apr. 30, 2017  10:16 PM)Suzaku-X Wrote: I mean, the Zero-G (Shogun Steel) stuff. If you combine 2 metal wheels from Zero G, that is illegal. (in this format) Most of Death's potential counters are these blades, and so without these counters, Death would literally punt things like Burn and Flame into mediocrity again.

And Death is meant to be one metal wheel, with two pieces, but it is NOT a Synchrome.

Adding to that stock Death maybe beaten by Stamina but what if Death user use BD?. + It's huge weight will make it iron wall most of things and KO other.

Despite Death is not best for Stamina. It really outclassed almost every single stamina wheel from LTD. Maybe except Duo of Metal Fury but it will too get KOed
You should also mention that the Infinity/Thunder hybrid wheel system parts can work in place of Libra.
(Jun. 04, 2017  6:44 AM)Stave Wrote: You should also mention that the Infinity/Thunder hybrid wheel system parts can work in place of Libra.

There two completelydifferent parts
(Jun. 04, 2017  6:44 AM)Stave Wrote: You should also mention that the Infinity/Thunder hybrid wheel system parts can work in place of Libra.

Infinity/Thunder is way lighter than Libra, and as a result, is largely ineffective compared to it.