Computer viruses!

Poll: Have you ever goten a computer virus?

Yes
82.99%
No
17.01%
Total: 100% 147 vote(s)
(Oct. 18, 2012  11:09 AM)Cannon Wrote: Mmm, I've re-formatted my Mac (Bootcamp - Windows 7) like 20 times .. since I oddly keep on getting viruses or something.

I did it just a while ago, because I accidentally installed some "Search Bar" Virus thing. Fantstigames or something? Tried removing it, but no luck, so I had to re-format it again as a last resort. Tired

Though, I am really glad that If my Windows Drive gets messed up, the Mac part will always be OK, so I can recover files using the Administrative Login. Smile

You should probably get a script blocker for your web browser and some competent antivirus... getting viruses often is genuinely the fault of the user, not the machine. Also, Mac viruses are a real thing, and partition hopping is not unheardof.

(Oct. 18, 2012  10:03 PM)Trainer Red Wrote: What do trojans do?

What do sandwiches taste like?

Trojans can be for any number of things, or only one thing, and what they do varies quite heavily depending on the individual trojan.
Trainer Red was told!!! I had a virus today but got rid of it pretty quick
(Oct. 18, 2012  11:26 PM)Hazel Wrote:
(Oct. 18, 2012  11:09 AM)Cannon Wrote: Mmm, I've re-formatted my Mac (Bootcamp - Windows 7) like 20 times .. since I oddly keep on getting viruses or something.

I did it just a while ago, because I accidentally installed some "Search Bar" Virus thing. Fantstigames or something? Tried removing it, but no luck, so I had to re-format it again as a last resort. Tired

Though, I am really glad that If my Windows Drive gets messed up, the Mac part will always be OK, so I can recover files using the Administrative Login. Smile

You should probably get a script blocker for your web browser and some competent antivirus... getting viruses often is genuinely the fault of the user, not the machine. Also, Mac viruses are a real thing, and partition hopping is not unheardof.

Err, duh.

But that time, it was an accident. :T As it was a part of the installation, I accidentally skimmed past it, and didn't realize until I went into my browser. .__.

It didn't really affect it, though I read that it stores your files etc and distributes it etc, idk.

Well, at least they don't affect it as severely as Windows .. or whatever.

Weird.. I got a pikachu error mesage?? It says something like to remember this day I encountered pikachu. Did I get trolled, is it a real virus, what the heck is this!!? This error message has a pikachu icon next to it.. help.
Check your email inbox. Did it send messages/emails? I've heard about a worm similar to that...
I keep getting browser hijackers on Chrome... it's driving me insane. I've gotten rid of them, but they keep installing themselves. I of course had my computer scan itself and checked my security settings to see if there was another virus letting the hijackers in, but no, there was nothing.
(Nov. 27, 2012  9:40 PM)Cake Wrote: I keep getting browser hijackers on Chrome... it's driving me insane. I've gotten rid of them, but they keep installing themselves. I of course had my computer scan itself and checked my security settings to see if there was another virus letting the hijackers in, but no, there was nothing.

Really? I don't; at least not frequently. I'd try to see if there are any add-ons for Chrome that block these hijackers.

Also, what security program are you using?
And how are you finding/noticing the hijackers? Redirecting to different sites? Homepage change?
(Nov. 27, 2012  9:40 PM)Cake Wrote: I keep getting browser hijackers on Chrome... it's driving me insane. I've gotten rid of them, but they keep installing themselves. I of course had my computer scan itself and checked my security settings to see if there was another virus letting the hijackers in, but no, there was nothing.

If you're continuously getting them, you either need to update Chrome, stop using it altogether, or you've got a rootkit and you're probably going to have to reformat.

The ultimate point, though, is if you ever get a hijacker more than once, it is entirely your fault unless you got an unlucky moment with a browser exploit that installed a root kit.
My apologies for bumping, or reviving but does anyone know why my Internet keeps going offline randomly??
(Jul. 19, 2013  4:42 AM)OwnageDerp Wrote: My apologies for bumping, or reviving but does anyone know why my Internet keeps going offline randomly??

Maybe you could Google search for better answers but it might be something with your internet service provider? Or your router? For me, sometimes my internet will disconnect because the router gets disconnected with the network and I just plug it out and back in to re-connect. Good luck (ノ´▽`)ノ♪
I almost got a virus today on my laptop. My dad was ordering me the Ultimate DX set then I heard "You have been selected to take an anonymous survey and will receive a discount on your purchase". My dad about did it thinking it was a legit eBay thing. We had an argument about it. He kept saying it was part of eBay so it wasn't a virus. The. I showed him the URL of the ad, which was some weird thing.
My brother got his computer a virus and now it doesnt turn on anymore, sat on one of mine, and almost gave one to my new computer, but I fixed it.
That is not a virus....that is a hardware issue. He should at least be able to see his bios start up. The most damage a virus can do to your computer is corrupt the system files. In that case, all you would need to do is format the hard drive and reinstall whatever you had before. (This is where creating images of your Hard Drive comes in handy)
I have no idea why my internet runs so slow when playing PC games. My internet has full connection, no background programs are up, and no registry errors or viruses are detected when I search, but still my latency is through the roof. Any suggestions to help this problem?
(Jul. 21, 2013  4:55 PM)DefStamina88 Wrote: I have no idea why my internet runs so slow when playing PC games. My internet has full connection, no background programs are up, and no registry errors or viruses are detected when I search, but still my latency is through the roof. Any suggestions to help this problem?

Um, maybe your computer isnt capable of that? Is it on Wired Connection?
Tongue_out

It should be more of a hardware problem.
I think that avast is the best antivirus which used in these days and clean your computer like a new, You should use this antivirus if you facing any type of dangerous virus..
well my laptop and and our main computer don`t work I remember our desktop caught a virus called vista anti-spyware it wouldn`t let us go online and we had to take it to geek squad to get it fixed for like $200 Unhappy (that was like a year ago) and now the mouse and keybord don`t work on the desktop they work on my mom`s laptop and on the desktop I can boot it with the keybord by pressing F8 and with the my laptop when I start it up it freezes and gives me this stop error code 0xc000000 (I think it ends with c) and my mom won`t let me use her laptop Unhappy (i`m using the internet channel on the wii right now)
I wouldn't let you use the laptop either, you're probably going to a ton of sites and clicking on a ton of stuff man.
actually that was my brothers falt I have a 8 and 6 year little brother and a three year old little sister and the 8 year old downloaded wizard 101 but there was a virus with it and I fixed it also the 6 year old spilled milk on my laptop twice Unhappy but I was able to fix them and save my parents lots of money but my brothers are always downloading stuff with attachments that they don't notice like pirates 101 monkey quest free realms club penguin etc.. and unlike me they forget to uncheck the box that says download 7-zip or smoke or mc afee or antispyware protector or wether bug etc...I however remember to uncheck that and have never messed up a computer only fixed them I am rally good at fixing computers when we go to my grandothers house i'm always helping her opn a program or fixan issue with her phone computer tv dvd player etc.. i'm her go to person she even calls me on the phone sometimes and i'm like a 10 hour drive away from her (se lives in columbia,SC) wich is why I say that in my sig. also my mom won't let me use her computer because if I use it then my brothers will complain about how unfair it is that I get to use it and they don't and they'll be whining and she can't stand it cause my little brothers and my little sidter ALWAYS want to do what I do or have what I have cause I have or do it and they don't, not because she thinks i'll ruin it
(Aug. 17, 2013  6:22 PM)Lazer Wrote: actually that was my brothers falt I have a 8 and 6 year little brother and a three year old little sister and the 8 year old downloaded wizard 101 but there was a virus with it and I fixed it also the 6 year old spilled milk on my laptop twice Unhappy but I was able to fix them and save my parents lots of money but my brothers are always downloading stuff with attachments that they don't notice like pirates 101 monkey quest free realms club penguin etc.. and unlike me they forget to uncheck the box that says download 7-zip or smoke or mc afee or antispyware protector or wether bug etc...I however remember to uncheck that and have never messed up a computer only fixed them I am rally good at fixing computers when we go to my grandothers house i'm always helping her opn a program or fixan issue with her phone computer tv dvd player etc.. i'm her go to person she even calls me on the phone sometimes and i'm like a 10 hour drive away from her (se lives in columbia,SC) wich is why I say that in my sig. also my mom won't let me use her computer because if I use it then my brothers will complain about how unfair it is that I get to use it and they don't and they'll be whining and she can't stand it cause my little brothers and my little sidter ALWAYS want to do what I do or have what I have cause I have or do it and they don't, not because she thinks i'll ruin it
If your sister and brothers want to use the computer, why not ask your parents to put parental controls on it? It can limit the sites that they can go on.

Also, why not try to get some antivirus that allows you to block websites that are known to be dangerous?

Also, the parental controls will MAKE SURE that they cant download anything without permission. Then, you can be there to stop them from downloading all the stupid promotional software that comes with some games.

Remember to allow them to only download games like Pirates 101 or Wizard 101 from the official website ! I can almost guarantee you that whenever there is a "virus" attached to one of the games, its most likely because it was downloaded from a site other than the official one.

Kids spilling stuff on the computer? Try to get a computer that is Spill Proof. Or put the computer where food and drinks are not allowed. This will stop them from getting food and liquids on the keyboard. If the keyboard gets ruined because of some type of food or beverage, they also get caught for eating in that room.

Hope this helps!

-TakasuMouce
i dowloaded wizard 101 so it is F*****UP
Not a virus, just slows your computer down. I have it. Maybe you are taking up too much memory.
That's excatly what my brother did... just read the posts I made about 4 and 6 posts back...
i recently got a virus but my computer fixed itself