Bionicle Thread

(Oct. 03, 2014  12:10 PM)Leone19 Wrote: I think the final render of Gali makes me like her a bit better than the leaked one.

I don't think LOSS looks too bad, but I still like the Visorak a bit better, if we're comparing spiders, haha.

Hey; he's a full Technic set. It's awesome.
(Oct. 03, 2014  2:07 AM)Wombat Wrote: Thoughts on each of the sets just2good's video had:

Tahu: The mask is ok, it does look more HF-ish (sort of like a Transformer too) than a BIONICLE mask though, but that probably can't be helped. The lava surfboard is sick, and I love how they made it look like Lhikan's as well. The weapons are meh compared to everyone else, I kind of hoped he'd have more fire-based stuff instead of just 2 swords. That gold better be actual gold instead of that awful Toa Ignika/Mata Nui fake gold color.

Pohatu is on point. The mask is cool, he's brown again, and he's got some obvious throwbacks to his older sets, with his boomerang things looking a bit like the propellors and his kneepads looking like his 2001 foot extensions. The boomerangs also look like they're hinged, which could be cool or really annoying depending on whether the axle has friction or not.

Gali (or that's who I assume it is): The mask is really weird, it reminds me of Takadox actually. The translucent pieces are always cool, but despite using a new piece the weapon doesn't look too great. I would have preferred if all the trident blades were either gold or silver, not a mix, and that the outer blades had a cross peg instead of the kind a minifigure can hold. The foot fins look a bit awkward but it's kind of hard to judge them too much from this angle.

Kopaka is pretty cool looking too. His mask is probably the most accurate so far, and the translucent pieces are good, but they made him a little too bulky. The extra shoulder and leg armor and the size of his shield-thing take away from the spear in his other hand. This would be more acceptable for Onua or something but IMO extra bulk does not really work with Kopaka.

Skull Spider: meh I guess? Not a huge fan of the leg design as far as I can see it, but overall it looks not too great. I hope it's just like a generic disposable villain-type character and not someone of actual importance (sort of like the Bohrok or Visorak, there were whole armies of them).

Lewa (or that's who I assume it is): The mask reminds me a bit of Matau Hordika's face combined with a gas mask, and I don't like it too much. The weapons seem a bit off somehow but I can't really put my finger on it. I would have preferred if the axe heads or whatever they are were like wings instead, since Lewa is a Toa of Air. I also agree with Neo on the "too much silver" statement.

Overall, Pohatu is my favorite. I didn't like Gali and Lewa, since they changed the masks so much that you can't really tell who they're supposed to be. Skull Spider was unimpressive, and Tahu and Kopaka have a few minor things that I find wrong with them. From the pictures they seem a little bigger than the general Hero Factory sets, so that's good and hopefully they're "Toa sized" again.

Also, where is Onua at?

Cool my favourite is Pohatu as well and it's the first set I am getting.
I'll probably buy as many as possible on day one Grin
I have 100 dollars, I will be buying Tahu and Pohatu first Grin I honestly think this will be nice since they are using Hero Factory parts (not saying I like HF, but the parts are good), as the old ones broke a lot. It is nice that Tahu comes with his board.
I really hope that... Lewa gets lime.
Oh wow
Comic con is telling us everything.

That clear Tahu mask 0;
I saw how they are doing the story, and I love that they are going back to Mata Nui.
..they aren't?

It's like "Koteko" or something.
Just2good on YouTube has picture of the defenders! Also, there was a preliminary page from an upcoming catalogue showing the Defenders and Masters can combine their parts for a bigger Master; there is no official name yet.
(Oct. 10, 2014  6:24 AM)Neo Wrote: ..they aren't?

It's like "Koteko" or something.
Okoto I believe. The animations were cool, the sets were cool, the biographies were...a bit strange? But whatever, haha. Sets will be released January 2015. Can't wait!
The official site is up, too.

I can't wait for these sets, I'm super excited for the books, too.
The personality descriptions are bugging me. Apparently Kopaka is clumsy and Tahu is forgetful... Seriously? Tahu's brashness and Kopaka's aloof lone-ranger attitude were just fine as character flaws, and actually made them kind of cool. They didn't have to go ahead and make them stumbling buffoons to balance them out...

But, on the bright side, I'm hoping Lewa will be as funny as ever and retain the doubled-up Le-speak.
Well at least they fleshed out the characters a bit.
Attendees at Comic Con were given an exclusive clear version of Tahu's mask! So sad I couldn't go Unhappy
I'm upset, because they misspelled Onua as Onya. He doesn't even have his night vision as his primary ability, its lie tertiary compared to his strength. And What's with this sleepy giant nonsense?
It's like these guys skimmed a wiki of the characters and decided that they needed to be even more flawed.

On the upside, I love the mas designs being improved versions of the Mata masks.
(Oct. 11, 2014  9:49 AM)earthwolf1404 Wrote: I'm upset, because they misspelled Onua as Onya. He doesn't even have his night vision as his primary ability, its lie tertiary compared to his strength. And What's with this sleepy giant nonsense?
It's like these guys skimmed a wiki of the characters and decided that they needed to be even more flawed.

On the upside, I love the mas designs being improved versions of the Mata masks.

Well, you gotta understand that this is a reboot or even an "alternate universe", for all we know: they wanted to have the characters a bit different than they originally were, simply to differentiate the two series more.

It's like how after the light hearted Batman and Robin, the Batman franchise after 8 years continued witht the dark reboot Batmam Begins- changing character personalities and the stories established in the previous series.
(Oct. 11, 2014  9:49 AM)earthwolf1404 Wrote: I'm upset, because they misspelled Onua as Onya. He doesn't even have his night vision as his primary ability, its lie tertiary compared to his strength. And What's with this sleepy giant nonsense?

They only misspelled it on the main character page, it's still spelled Onua. And when you think about it, he really was a "gentle giant" until he got the big buff persona in Mask of Light.
I'll link the vid in a bit, but TheThreeVirtues were able to build Tahu at the VIP booth at NYCC, so really- the first Bionicle 2015 review is up.

Seeing it up-close- it honestly looks reaaaally cool. I like that gear functions are back, but with more possibility than before.

Not to mention, the Skull Spiders being masks is such a throwback to the Borak.
(Oct. 11, 2014  12:49 PM)Leone19 Wrote: I'll link the vid in a bit, but TheThreeVirtues were able to build Tahu at the VIP booth at NYCC, so really- the first Bionicle 2015 review is up.

Seeing it up-close- it honestly looks reaaaally cool. I like that gear functions are back, but with more possibility than before.

It is nice that we are getting quite a bit of new pieces, including that gear box! It is nice they are still incorporating the old design into the reboot Smile Makuta's brother seems like they probably will release him (sorry, I forgot his name!) and I have seen a preliminary of Makuta, which I think will be the Wave 2. With the Skull Spiders I think they will jump onto the Toa's faces ( they still are Toa, correct? ) and take control of them and we will be able to use the head launching feature for that. My one main question is: when will we get the Mask Of Creation? Along with the Mask Of Control and the Mask Of Ultimate Power. I wonder how the different Waves will turn out and if the characters will change in some (like when they replace it with a different area for a new mission and they have a new team, but go back after. Like when they did the Toa Inika and whatever followed).
(Oct. 11, 2014  2:06 PM)hb42 Wrote:
(Oct. 11, 2014  12:49 PM)Leone19 Wrote: I'll link the vid in a bit, but TheThreeVirtues were able to build Tahu at the VIP booth at NYCC, so really- the first Bionicle 2015 review is up.

It is nice that we are getting quite a bit of new pieces, including that gear box! It is nice they are still incorporating the old design into the reboot Smile Makuta's brother seems like they probably will release him (sorry, I forgot his name!) and I have seen a preliminary of Makuta, which I think will be the Wave 2. With the Skull Spiders I think they will jump onto the Toa's faces ( they still are Toa, correct? ) and take control of them and we will be able to use the head launching feature for that. My one main question is: when will we get the Mask Of Creation? Along with the Mask Of Control and the Mask Of Ultimate Power. I wonder how the different Waves will turn out and if the characters will change in some (like when they replace it with a different area for a new mission and they have a new team, but go back after. Like when they did the Toa Inika and whatever followed).

I'm assuming we'll see Makuta and his Brother (Mask of Ultimate Power/Mask of Control and the Mask of Creation) as the Summer 2015 sets/Titans.
Hopefully, we'll get the Toa Nuva & Takanuva.
Plus, Matoran should return as well.

That Eye Piece looks so annoying; I hope they change to an axle instead of a Pin-Hole for that Eye Piece.
Seems the head will have the masks on just fine Smile I'm okay; and I love the return of those creepy as hell head designs.
(Oct. 12, 2014  7:15 PM)Neo Wrote: Hopefully, we'll get the Toa Nuva & Takanuva.

That Eye Piece looks so annoying; I hope they change to an axle instead of a Pin-Hole for that Eye Piece.
Seems the head will have the masks on just fine Smile I'm okay; and I love the return of those creepy as hell head designs.

You should be happy too, from some of the lighting in certain images, it looks like Lewa may even be a bit lime-ish, haha.

I'm sure that the eye-piece will be sturdier by final product because I sense that will be the only major complaint from the new sets.

I love the new gear system- it's the fun and functionality of the 01's, but the opposability of the later releases.
(Oct. 12, 2014  7:27 PM)Leone19 Wrote:
(Oct. 12, 2014  7:15 PM)Neo Wrote: Hopefully, we'll get the Toa Nuva & Takanuva.

You should be happy too, from some of the lighting in certain images, it looks like Lewa may even be a bit lime-ish, haha.

I'm sure that the eye-piece will be sturdier by final product because I sense that will be the only major complaint from the new sets.

I love the new gear system- it's the fun and functionality of the 01's, but the opposability of the later releases.

Yeah but I learned an easy fix to the 01 Gear Box; just put an axle through the axle hole below the shoulder axle. Stops all gear functions.

(Oct. 12, 2014  7:27 PM)Leone19 Wrote:

Yeah but I learned an easy fix to the 01 Gear Box; just put an axle through the axle hole below the shoulder axle. Stops all gear functions.

The Miru is the worst Kahohi mask I've ever seen.
I don't think any of the masks look too bad, personally. With that being said, each has an element or two from the original, some resembling their Mata predecessors more so than others.

On another note, I really hope Lego Stores or some retailers are able to get ahold of the product and release it a bit early or at least have promotions for it- it doesn't make as much sense to release the line after the holiday sales are through.
(Oct. 13, 2014  12:26 AM)Leone19 Wrote: I don't think any of the masks look too bad, personally. With that being said, each has an element or two from the original, some resembling their Mata predecessors more so than others.

On another note, I really hope Lego Stores or some retailers are able to get ahold of the product and release it a bit early or at least have promotions for it- it doesn't make as much sense to release the line after the holiday sales are through.

Seeing as NYCC has them mostly complete; and all of the opinions are basically expressed, they could release RIGHT NOW if they wanted.
I aim for December.