Bionicle Thread

I think it's sad- I've noticed on the Lego Boards that a good amount of people have been complaining about the new sets because they use HF parts.

Please be honest when you tell me you expect Lego, a company that had the original Bionicle parts destroyed, is going to make a completely new constraction system for the first wave of a "new" series. I mean, just because it uses CCBS people are saying they're "too simple". Too simple... tell me which is more complicated to assemble, a Mata 2001 Tahu or the 2015 Tahu?

~End le rant.~

On a more positive note, I love how the Skull Spider's act like Borhok in the sense that the "mask" from it can be placed on the Toa heads.
(Oct. 17, 2014  9:54 PM)Leone19 Wrote: I think it's sad- I've noticed on the Lego Boards that a good amount of people have been complaining about the new sets because they use HF parts.

Please be honest when you tell me you expect Lego, a company that had the original Bionicle parts destroyed, is going to make a completely new constraction system for the first wave of a "new" series. I mean, just because it uses CCBS people are saying they're "too simple". Too simple... tell me which is more complicated to assemble, a Mata 2001 Tahu or the 2015 Tahu?

~End le rant.~

On a more positive note, I love how the Skull Spider's act like Borhok in the sense that the "mask" from it can be placed on the Toa heads.

With regard to simplicity -

PIRAKA.

Seriously, the Piraka were the simplest sets ever. They didn't even use armor pieces all that much, and were basically identical to one another. But they were still really neat sets with a cool design. Simple =/= bad.

Though, tbh, the weird graffiti-style font and designs they used for the Piraka were dumb. You can't always get everything exactly how you want it, I guess.
(Oct. 17, 2014  10:11 PM)Cake Wrote:
(Oct. 17, 2014  9:54 PM)Leone19 Wrote: I think it's sad- I've noticed on the Lego Boards that a good amount of people have been complaining about the new sets because they use HF parts.

~End le rant.~

PIRAKA.

Seriously, the Piraka were the simplest sets ever. They didn't even use armor pieces all that much, and were basically identical to one another. But they were still really neat sets with a cool design. Simple =/= bad.

Though, tbh, the weird graffiti-style font and designs they used for the Piraka were dumb. You can't always get everything exactly how you want it, I guess.

Exactly, simple isn't necessarily bad (but Stars are another story, haha), but these new sets aren't exactly simple, themselves. I mean, we pretty much have a mix of Technic and CCBS. They seem promising, honestly.

It's like it bothers me that people have been wanting this to come back so much, now it does, and suddenly half the fanbase hates it because it uses CCBS.

~End le rant.~

PIRAKA.

So right.
Everyone complained about them back then; and now the same people want them back.

Honestly; these sets look great.
Yo yo, Piraka.

But yah, agreed. I actually would have liked a bit simpler sets. Makes it easier for new fans. But hey, what we've got is still extremely awesome!
The gears are great.
Yesterday I went to a shop, kinda like a Dollarama, and I found there some fakes Hero Factory, first time I see some. It was the first wave of Hero Factory, on the package they were re-named "Warriors", and strangely the manufacturer is DIY instead of Lego XD

~End le rant.~

PIRAKA.

[/quote]
I thought it was never confirmed that the molds for the old parts were destroyed? I remember posting it here as a rumor and someone shot it down.

I don't know, the Vahki were pretty simple too. The Vahki had NO armor pieces, and were basically recolors with different weapons (just like most things from 2001-2006). The Piraka at least had a bunch of cool gimmicks, like the dual-function weapons and glow-in-the-dark teeth. And who doesn't love laser eyes?

I will acknowledge that they were recolors with a different face, weapon, and in some case, foot, but they were still cool sets. I'm also not trying to bash the old sets, I'm just saying the common counterargument to people who bash the 2006+ sets.
Oh yes..
The Vahki were awful.
The Mata had a lot of flaws but still. The Vahki are easily worse then the Piraka. The Piraka was awesome: then. The years after made the design awful.
That's what's so great about the new Toa- they're all so unique. All of the gearboxes are different (IE, Lewa's smaller 2-armed gears, Kokapa's 1-armed gear), the chest plates have different designs, and so on. I originally wasn't a fan of the size-changes, but it just adds more diversity to the Toa.

They're going to be a lot of fun.
I agree! The most diversity that we saw in the Mata and Nuva, was Onua's hunch and Pohatu's upsidedown body/near weaponlessness. and Gali's propellers i "guess".
I'm excited to see the Pohatu review Grin
Boomerangs are interesting! And the return of Bohrok Eyes.
I LOVE Bionicle. It's what got me into LEGO in the first place. I got into only a year or two before it came to a close, but still I'd had a great time with them. I also got into HF when they came out, and I loved both. When I heard Bionicle was returning next year, I was full of glee like a 6 year old that just got a brand new toy. I was always into the ice ones when I got them(my first one was Strakk), so I'm definitely going for Kopaka and his protector, first and foremost. I know very little about these original characters, excluding Tahu, and I don't care one bit. I will be buying as many of these as possible, and I cannot wait for them to come out. Grin
(Nov. 02, 2014  10:48 PM)UGottaCetus Wrote: I was always into the ice ones when I got them(my first one was Strakk)

Gelu is best Glatorian.

I like the ice types, too. I think the only ones I didn't really like were Nuju's Hordika form, Makuta Krika, and, unfortunately, Strakk. His axe is pretty cool (no pun intended), but he looks like some creepy hunchbacked old guy.
(Nov. 02, 2014  11:27 PM)Cake Wrote:
(Nov. 02, 2014  10:48 PM)UGottaCetus Wrote: I was always into the ice ones when I got them(my first one was Strakk)

Gelu is best Glatorian.

I like the ice types, too. I think the only ones I didn't really like were Nuju's Hordika form, Makuta Krika, and, unfortunately, Strakk. His axe is pretty cool (no pun intended), but he looks like some creepy hunchbacked old guy.

He's one of them. I also like Tarix and Ackar, but Kiina's body design was original and cool. And who doesn't like Dino Rider Fero?

My favorites were always the blue and green ones, probably because there were so many different color variations to mix and match. Usually my best MOCs end up being blue, green, or a combination of the two.

As for ice types, I actually like Kirka a lot. Hordika Nuju and Strakk were okay, but the one I didn't like was 2008 Kopaka. Maybe they were trying to accentuate that he was the most Makuta-like of the Toa with his wings and more gray than white, but it didn't turn out too great IMO.
(Nov. 03, 2014  12:33 AM)Wombat Wrote:
(Nov. 02, 2014  11:27 PM)Cake Wrote:

Gelu is best Glatorian.

He's one of them. I also like Tarix and Ackar, but Kiina's body design was original and cool. And who doesn't like Dino Rider Fero?

My favorites were always the blue and green ones, probably because there were so many different color variations to mix and match. Usually my best MOCs end up being blue, green, or a combination of the two.

As for ice types, I actually like Kirka a lot. Hordika Nuju and Strakk were okay, but the one I didn't like was 2008 Kopaka. Maybe they were trying to accentuate that he was the most Makuta-like of the Toa with his wings and more gray than white, but it didn't turn out too great IMO.

On the topic of Mistika/Phantoka 2008 stuff, I really wasn't a huge fan of that series.

I mean, the builds were interesting overall, I guess. Phantoka weren't too badly done, but I felt the Mistika Toa especially were kinda just a bit... random? I felt a lot of the parts didn't really go well together and it made a lot of the sets seem a bit... cluttered, per say.
The weapons for the Phantoka/Mistika were pretty random. Lewa's glider blades to an air sword, ok.

Kopaka's blade and shield to a blaster attachment? Pohatu's claws to propellers? Onua's chainsaws to shields? Gali's whatever-they-were-called to a target on her blaster? And Tahu's fire swords to a spinning blade shield...thing? Those were just ridiculous. Though I can't explain how excited I was when my little self found out the famous Toa Mata I had never been able to buy, but had always heard about were returning.
Not going to lie, while I didn't like most of them, I always had a thing for Pohatu's propellers. I mean... they were... they were pretty darn cool. Tongue_out

I think the idea was since it was supposed to be "Battle of the Skies" for Pohatu, Lewa, and Kopaka, they were meant to have "air" designs. By that I mean Lewa's jetpack-like things/gliders, Pohatu's helicopter propellers, and Kopaka's wings.
The propellers were cool, but random nonetheless.

Yah, the flight stuff was cool, and some of the weapons were as well, the weapons were just weird and random. The new Bionicles coming out seem more like "evolutions" of the Nuva than the Phantoka and Mistika.
Well, you could use Boomerangs as claws.
At TRU, I found a Chima "Chi Razzor" Constraction set using CCBS for half off (rather buy it cheaper and not have to buy Hero Factory, haha), so I picked it up to finally get an in-hand opinion on CCBS before Bionicle. I have to say, I like it. I understand why some people don't like the "Skeleton" pieces and things, but it just adds more customization. People say it takes away creativity- but allowing to add armor and weapons/upgrades in any direction, way, or however you want is pretty cool.

With using some Bionicle pieces, I made a few Mocs. Be in mind they'd be larger and more detailed and better colored, but I only have one set of CCBS Skeleton parts and Armor. I plan to get more if I can find any others on clearance. If the colors don't match, it's because I didn't have matching pieces at the time. Feel free to tell me what you think, keeping that in mind.

Matoran/Phantoka Matoran:
Takanuva (LOVE THIS ONE):
Rahkshi:
So basically, this got me even more hyped for 2015.
Not too bad Smile
They all seem a bit skeletal. It's probably the limitations of the parts, but they seem a bit lacking to me. Still very cool though!
(Nov. 04, 2014  10:05 PM)Dual Wrote: They all seem a bit skeletal. It's probably the limitations of the parts, but they seem a bit lacking to me. Still very cool though!

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I only had 2 different types of armor and a few of each, so if they seem "skimpy" that's why.
Maybe a few more decorations, like spikes on the Rakshi would be nice...