Winning Combinations at WBO Organized Play Events

[Image: aYNZFkP.jpg]

BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2019 - 1/19/2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Burst Format

1st: Kei
Hell Salamander (Level Chip) 0 Cross Xtend Plus
Balkesh B3 0 Wall Bearing
Hell Salamander 0 Cross Xtend Plus (Deck Format Finals Only)
Archer Hercules (Level Chip) Ωuter Revolve (Deck Format Finals Only)
Cho-Z Valkyrie 00 αngle Xtreme Dash (Deck Format Finals Only)

2nd: @[OldSchool™]
Archer Hercules 0 Xtend Plus
Hell Salamander (Level Chip) 10 Bump Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd: @[Justin TC]
Archer Hercules 0 Xtend Plus
Hell Salamander (Level Chip) 0 Xtend Plus (Deck Format Finals Only)
Revive Phoenix 10 Revolve (Deck Format Finals Only)
Cho-Z Valkyrie 5 Bump Xtreme (Deck Format Finals Only)
Archer Hercules 5 Lift Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)

With approximately 172 participants, this event was one of the biggest we've ever hosted alongside Beytuber Brawl last year. I was incredibly busy helping with the organization of the event and didn't get much chance to see matches that were being played.

However, I can say that during the first stage I noticed several Cho-Z Achilles, several Balkesh B3, some Garuda G3 and Revive Phoenix, and of course Archer Hercules and Hell Salamander. Although, I didn't see as much Hell Salamander going around, which lead me to rely on it for most of my first stage matches. I also don't remember seeing any Cho-Z Valkyrie, but that's just based on a small sample size.

I did get Cho-Z Achilles and Air Knight this week, but literally only had time to test them for about two hours at around 1:00-3:00AM on Saturday ... six hours before I need to be at the venue for Shogatsu haha. No one else had Air Knight at this event from what I saw.

I did use Balkesh B3 0 Wall Bearing to win one of my matches and in retrospect, I would have very likely won all of them if I had stuck with it. The weakness to left-spin did make me hesitant against completely random opponents who maybe could have Hell Salamander on something like Revolve, Atomic, Xtend Plus, Bearing etc ... but the reality is that few players actually use those combos when you look at the overall number of participants. Either way, I still feel it possesses too much stamina and burst resistance.

The finals of this event were quite interesting. For the first time ever, we brought 32 players into the finals as some recent rule updates for events with 160+ allow. Deck Format really is the best way to play Beyblade, so it was exciting to be able to have the opportunity to let more players try it out.

There was again too many matches for me to catch, but there was a healthy variety of combos types throughout. I came up against two G3's in my final matches–including one G3.0G.Br–but thankfully I didn't ever have the need to try and use Attack against them.

Although, I was the only person using Xtreme Dash specifically ... TT really needs to re-release that. Although, perhaps due in part to the Burst Stopper feature on Cho-Z Valkyrie, Justin TC was able to find some success with it using regular Xtreme.

My battle with Justin TC was actually almost exclusively Cho-Z Valkyrie versus Cho-Z Valkyrie. It was super close! 5-4.

My battle with OldSchool™ played out very similarly to the one at BEYBLADE SPOOKTACULAR. I went down 0-1 in the first round in a stamina matchup and then lost two straight to his aH.0.Xt+ using 超V.00α.X'. However, now that I had warmed up a bit I was able to follow that with two straight KOs, bringing the score to 4-3. I lost the following round and then won the last round using LC aH.Ω.R versus his aH.0.Xt+!

We haven't had such a long break between Toronto tournaments in a long time, so I don't think I've ever spent as much time testing in preparation for an event as I did for this one. And after a first round finals exit at Beytuber Brawl, I'm happy to have had the opportunity to win such a large event like this and that my efforts paid off in the end!

(Jan. 20, 2019  8:20 PM)Limetka Wrote: There are so many tournaments going on everywhere yet very few people post the winning combos. Really a shame since I would consider the results really important to the meta.

They are required so every tournament does submit them eventually before we process it.
(Jan. 21, 2019  12:19 AM)Kei Wrote: BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2019 - 1/19/2019

Those are some seriously wicked combos wow
(Jan. 21, 2019  12:19 AM)Kei Wrote: BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2019 - 1/19/2019

Hi Kei! Did those g3s and your b3 struggle for the huge weight difference in battles against the cho-zs they faced? And, did you spot any Spryzen Requiem S3 there?
(Jan. 21, 2019  12:23 PM)bblader/90 Wrote: Hi Kei! Did those g3s and your b3 struggle for the huge weight difference in battles against the cho-zs they faced? And, did you spot any Spryzen Requiem S3 there?

Several G3 and B3 users made it to the finals or close to the finals from what I could see. I don’t remember a lot of the exact match ups, but in my matches they did lose to Hell Salamander or Archer Hercules. However, because the rest of their deck was also Hasbro there didn’t come a need for me to try and use Attack against them. I think a deck with G3 or B3 in a more defensive role + opposite spin upside using Bearing alongside TT Beys could be more threatening.

bladekid used Spryzen Requiem on Orbit in his match against me, but I don’t remember really seeing it otherwise. Although again, there was hundreds of matches I didn’t see.
(Jan. 21, 2019  3:59 PM)Kei Wrote:
(Jan. 21, 2019  12:23 PM)bblader/90 Wrote: Hi Kei! Did those g3s and your b3 struggle for the huge weight difference in battles against the cho-zs they faced? And, did you spot any Spryzen Requiem S3 there?

Several G3 and B3 users made it to the finals or close to the finals from what I could see. I don’t remember a lot of the exact match ups, but in my matches they did lose to Hell Salamander or Archer Hercules. However, because the rest of their deck was also Hasbro there didn’t come a need for me to try and use Attack against them. I think a deck with G3 or B3 in a more defensive role + opposite spin upside using Bearing alongside TT Beys could be more threatening.

bladekid used Spryzen Requiem on Orbit in his match against me, but I don’t remember really seeing it otherwise. Although again, there was hundreds of matches I didn’t see.
Thank you for your answer! But i have one more question for you/every blader who's got a Layer with burst-stopper gimmick: is this a necessary thing to be competitive in this meta? I watched tons of videos and looks like KOs are the only way (along with outspins victories) to win, but i never really understood how much this gimmick counts since Dash Drivers can do the job better imo. Because of them bursting is no longer part of the game ("kinda forbidden"), so i won't ask nothing about it Grin
Dash Drivers or Burst Stoppers? It's a survey, i guess hahaha!
(Jan. 21, 2019  4:30 PM)bblader/90 Wrote: Thank you for your answer! But i have one more question for you/every blader who's got a Layer with burst-stopper gimmick: is this a necessary thing to be competitive in this meta? I watched tons of videos and looks like KOs are the only way (along with outspins victories) to win, but i never really understood how much this gimmick counts since Dash Drivers can do the job better imo. Because of them bursting is no longer part of the game ("kinda forbidden"), so i won't ask nothing about it Grin
Dash Drivers or Burst Stoppers? It's a survey, i guess hahaha!

They're definitely not required while Archer Hercules and Hell Salamander are still very much competitive.

But I mean, the Burst Stoppers are certainly a welcome addition to combos that do have them. And Cho-Z Valkyrie + Xtreme Dash is essentially unburstable, which is as it probably should be for a pure attack type. Cho-Z Valkyrie + Xtreme on the other hand has the possibility of bursting despite the Burst Stoppers, but it is not as common as a Layer that doesn't have them.
Sounds like an awesome turnout with some great combos! Congratulations to the winners!
(Jan. 21, 2019  3:59 PM)Kei Wrote:

what were some of the more common G3 combos at this event?
(Jan. 22, 2019  11:18 PM)gxpt2000 Wrote: what were some of the more common G3 combos at this event?

I didn't really see the exact combos most people used. In two of the few battles I actually judged (as I was focusing on crowd control/helping run the bracket) of MonsterThiago, he won both with a stock (if I remember correctly; I know it had Flugel) G3. I didn't see his other battles, but he made it to the finals most likely relying on that same stock G3.

And then in the finals I ran into–as mentioned previously–G3.0G.Br.
Los Angeles Metal Fight Limited Smash #1 (01/26/2019)

winning combos

Shindog (1st)
MF-L Virgo TH170EDS
MF-L Gravity Perseus F230GCF
MF Flame Cancer 230CS
MSF-H Wyvang Bandid H145RSF (deck format only)
MF Virgo TH170EDS (deck format only)

Kingz_hero_ (2nd)
Burn Cancer BGrin
Meteo L-Drago T125D
Earth Giraffe WA130WD

mlg blader (3rd)
Earth Pegasus 160WD
Thunder Unicorno II T125WD
Grand Rex 145D
Winning Combos - Classic-ally Trained
Burst Classic Format

nartydna - First Place
Driger Heavy Revolve
Satomb S3 Gravity Survive

Tangy blader - Second Place
Guardian Kerbeus Gravity Revolve
Giant Gaia Heavy Eternal
God Valkyrie Jerk 
Destroy 

Jaydog311 - Third Place
Strike Valtryek Nine Destroy
Kerbeus K2 Heavy Defense
(Feb. 02, 2019  8:07 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Winning Combos - Classic-ally Trained

nartydna - First Place
Driger Heavy Revolve

Giant Gaia Heavy Eternal
God Valkyrie Jerk 
Destroy 

Jaydog311 - Third Place
Strike Valtryek Spiral Destroy
Kerbeus K2 Heavy Defense

When you said ‘Strike Valtryek Spiral Destroy’ did you mean Nine or some other disc?
(Feb. 02, 2019  8:19 PM)Dt20000 Wrote: When you said ‘Strike Valtryek Spiral Destroy’ did you mean Nine or some other disc?

My bad! I meant Nine - I've corrected it.
(Feb. 02, 2019  8:07 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Winning Combos - Classic-ally Trained

nartydna - First Place
Driger Heavy Revolve

Giant Gaia Heavy Eternal
God Valkyrie Jerk 
Destroy 

Jaydog311 - Third Place
Kerbeus K2 Heavy Defense

Do you know what LeftBurst used to get 4th?
(Feb. 02, 2019  11:00 PM)CheetoBlader Wrote:
(Feb. 02, 2019  8:07 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Winning Combos - Classic-ally Trained

nartydna - First Place
Driger Heavy Revolve

Giant Gaia Heavy Eternal
God Valkyrie Jerk 
Destroy 

Jaydog311 - Third Place
Kerbeus K2 Heavy Defense

Do you know what LeftBurst used to get 4th?

Primarily Guardian Kerbeus Revolve! I don't recall him using anything else in the first stage or in finals.
(Feb. 03, 2019  1:04 AM)The Supreme One Wrote:
(Feb. 02, 2019  11:00 PM)CheetoBlader Wrote: Do you know what LeftBurst used to get 4th?

Primarily Guardian Kerbeus Revolve! I don't recall him using anything else in the first stage or in finals.

Thanks!
Classic Action - 02/02/2019
Austin, Texas, USA - Burst Classic Format

1st - Bringit!
Unicrest Spread Defense
Roktavor R2 Force Edge

2nd - cladyga
Genesis Valtryek V3 Heavy Survive-S

3rd - TrainiacJ
Odin Spread Revolve
Doomscizor D2 Spread Orbit
Valtryek Heavy Wedge-S (Deck Format Only)

You can probably tell there's not a lot of combos on here people would consider to be competitive, and that's mostly because a majority of the kids who came to this event missed the "classic" written in bold letters on the page of this event when they decided to come and brought mostly God/Swtichstrike and ChoZ/Turbo stuff to this event. So that meant a lot of the kids there had to just kinda throw together whatever they had that was legal. Now that's not to say any of the kids were bad, because that would be mean and uncalled for, but this experience made the beginning of the tournament exhausting as a result of all them constantly coming up to me and asking "hey, is this legal?" with their stock eF4 for the third time in a row, haha. The mass confusion kinda turned me off from ever wanting to host another Burst Classic event, it's just too confusing for a lot of the younger/newer bladers who don't nessecarily know how each part works and what is/isn't meta and can't import Takara Tomy stuff... etc.

That said, some of these macgyvered combos weren't exactly bad; Bringit!'s main combo, Unicrest Spread Defense would have been right at home during the Hasbro-Only Burst format days and didn't perform too terribly either. At the same time I ended up loosing to someone's kD3 Hunter combo with my Doomscizor D2 on Orbit and then lost to cladyga's gV3 with my Odin because I botched my launches, haha. Not my best competitive moment lol. I made up for it later though in my 3rd Place match where I bodied my opponent's deck using only Valtryek on Wedge-S, haha. I'd been experimenting with that combo in the weeks leading up to the event but got cold feet over using it for real, so seeing it work like a charm in that match was very validating, haha.

That's everything of interest I have to say. I hope a format for God/Switchstrike/Slingshock layers happens soon so I can meme with Wedge-S in a competitively viable way, haha.
Hey @[TrainiacJ] @[The Supreme One] (and any other host of Burst Classic in the future), can you add "Burst Classic Format" under the title of the winning combos for your event to make it 100% explicit that they were played using that format and not Burst Format?

And it's interesting you had so much trouble with people not realizing it was Burst Classic Format, TrainiacJ ... I would think that with only 23 participants it wouldn't be that bad, but I can see it being an issue especially for very large events. However, I think that if this format is to become official, we will need to add it into our system as a selectable option for events. Right now your page just says "Burst Format" and shows Winning Valkyrie, which doesn't make a ton of sense.
@[Kei] Is there a reason you used the Angle Frame? How heavy is it compared to Turn, Lift, and Wall?
(Feb. 09, 2019  12:48 AM)Jack Frosty Wrote: @[Kei] Is there a reason you used the Angle Frame? How heavy is it compared to Turn, Lift, and Wall?
Like Vortex...it matches with CZ-V contact points. Other then that, it's basically useless.
(Feb. 09, 2019  12:48 AM)Jack Frosty Wrote: @[Kei] Is there a reason you used the Angle Frame? How heavy is it compared to Turn, Lift, and Wall?

I haven't checked the weight, but being three-sided it has good synergy with Cho-Z Valkyrie. I haven't done extensive testing comparing it to other Frames with 超V because Xtreme Dash wears down quickly, but it's been working for me.
This is the weight of my angle.
https://imgur.com/gallery/LrCqYBg
(Feb. 09, 2019  4:02 AM)Shindog Wrote: This is the weight of my angle.
https://imgur.com/gallery/LrCqYBg

I wonder if the Hasbro version of that Frame would be the same/similar weight range
Most likely, as Hasbro generally keeps Discs and Frames the same.