"Who's Online" Feature Feedback

It's no secret that we're working on a big update for the site, and one of the things I've been wondering about is the status of the "who's online" feature.

In the early days of web software for small communities, it felt kind of normal to be able to see what every user is doing at all times. But it stands out in the year 2016 as a weirdly intrusive feature. The ability to set yourself as hidden is there, but it isn't the default. Furthermore, I don't see why other users should be able to see exactly what you're doing in the first place.

My plan is to remove the ability to see what other users are doing in the new version of the site, with three exceptions:

1. You'll still be able to see who's online in general.
2. You'll still be able to see if a user is online or offline, or when the last time they visited the site was.
3. You'll still be able to see when users are viewing the same thread as you.

I know that some people really like to scope out the online list, and I don't want to make it seem like there's anything wrong with that — it's fun to see what other people are doing. But it seems to me that the level of specificity goes a little too far. To be able to see whose profile someone is viewing, or if they're writing messages to other people, is just kind of weird.

However, before doing anything, I really want to get feedback from the community on these ideas and these features and how you use them. To those of you who take the time to reply, thanks in advance!
I actually agree with this. Not like I get stalked by anyone, but there is little reason for any one to know exactly what someone else is doing. The only time that this is useful, is when you are looking for some thread that you've been having trouble finding or that might interest you, and another member happens to be on it.
I'd be against this. Unregistered users browse cool topics which are kinda interesting to read.
(Oct. 17, 2016  3:04 AM)Daman Wrote: I'd be against this. Unregistered users browse cool topics which are kinda interesting to read.

That's basically just checking random threads, which you could do yourself just by exploring the site.
Yeah, but sometimes they're browsing some really obscure threads that would be really hard to find by yourself !

If it was up to me, I'd keep the original system, and just add a ''private mode'' with different options.
Yeah, I'm pretty against this. There's already a paranoia mode in place, so the people who would want this feature gone can just turn it on and hide themselves.
(Oct. 17, 2016  3:12 AM)Silva Wrote: Yeah, I'm pretty against this. There's already a paranoia mode in place, so the people who would want this feature gone can just turn it on and hide themselves.

Framing it as "paranoia mode" is unfair when you literally see posts here asking why some members are browsing certain other members' profiles.

Quote:If it was up to me, I'd keep the original system, and just add a ''private mode'' with different options.

Unfortunately it's difficult to add more modular controls than the ones we have now.

Also, I really doubt the threads unregistered users are browsing are of any particular quality, so it's not any more effective than just visiting a random topic on the site. Which we could add, if you guys would like that. haha
Well I know this is mostly useless and old feature maybe, but tbh I really like this feature and I don't want it to go. Well I have nothing to hold against or a good reason to not kill it. But well reading what's trendy in people today, Reading random thread that Bots (or a.k.a. Unregistered Members. Maybe some are real guest but i doubt all are), and seeing if anyone is reading or replying to my threads. I'm sure some other people like it too. Like Missingno. said it is better to keep some other way to hide what you doing for people who want it rather

Sorry Bey Brad. But I'm against it.
Aha, no need to be sorry. I can only make my own case, but I asked here for a reason.
Meh, I don't really see a reason for this since we have a ghost mode. Doesn't it let you choose if you want to be seen or not when you first join the site as well?
Yes, but realistically most people will never change from the default setting. I also don't like that you have to hide your online status entirely just to hide your exact location.
Take it as you will from a former frequenter like myself, but this feature should not at all be taken. Seeing whose online has it's ups and downs but I feel it's usually a good feature since you may have a friend here and you see they are on, then you can easily message them and go from there, I had positive experience of this outside WBO. I do understand that you can misuse this as a form of stalking but I don't see any member here that would do such a thing, and that isn't really a concern since the majority of people here are very respectable. Regardless, I do think there should be an extensive fix to make yourself invisible. If I recall, I don't remember that feature exists. (My browsing here dulled around late 2013 so you don't need to take my words.)
Plz keep feature
I'd like you to keep this function because of all the guests reading old threads and fun ones.
I always found the feature just something interesting to look at, more as a sort of curiosity kinda thing. I personally wouldn't care either way if it was taken away or not as I don't think it's a really important part of the website.

I could understand why some people could use it as another way to find out what topics are hot at the moment, so there is that and also the possibility of some users finding some topics they may never have stumbled on if they didn't see someone else viewing it.
We would have never known those few times where people were accidentally able to view hidden forums~
I'm slightly on both terms for this. I do like this feature (since I do use it a lot) because I just think it's interesting. However, I do agree on decreasing its specificity. I wouldn't want this feature to be entirely taken out.
Maybe a list of threads currently being viewed and a list of online uses as separate things? So the online list would show who is online but not what they're doing, while the current threads list would show what they're browsing but not who specifically is browsing it. And if possible, when only one person is online the current threads shows as empty anyway to reinforce the privacy.
Thanks for the feedback all. Clearly a lot of people like it, so I'm reluctant to remove it.

If all you could see was what threads users were viewing, would that suffice? I don't think you really need to know when they're doing a search, sending a message, etc. right?
I couldn't care less, honestly. I never really check the who's online function but I suppose I could see the merits of using it to discover forgotten threads or see if anyone is replying to a thread you just posted in. I'm not a huge fan of being able to see when users are visiting a specific person's profile or replying to a PM however, so I would be on-board with removing it to that extent.
(Oct. 17, 2016  3:08 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Thanks for the feedback all. Clearly a lot of people like it, so I'm reluctant to remove it.

If all you could see was what threads users were viewing, would that suffice? I don't think you really need to know when they're doing a search, sending a message, etc. right?

I don't think there is any need for someone to see if someone is searching or sending a PM, that's me, at least Smile.
(Oct. 17, 2016  3:08 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Thanks for the feedback all. Clearly a lot of people like it, so I'm reluctant to remove it.

That would suffice on my part and most likely, everyone else's. I'm sure we all look at what threads others are viewing much more, not who's PMing and such. I think people see it infrequently.
Cool, I will look into what can be done. Thanks all!