WBO Organized Play Rule Updates February 2018 – mG Unbanned, Sr Restriction + More

Outlined below are several important new ruling additions, updates, and clarifications to the WBO Organized Play Burst Format rulebook and the Organizers' Guide. View all WBO Organized Play Rules & Resources here, and a summary of the changes below:

Rule Updates Overview
  • Burst Format: Spriggan Requiem Layer – Mode Changing Between Rounds is Now Banned
  • Burst Format: Maximum Garuda – Now Unbanned
  • All Rulebooks: Gameplay Appendix – Clarification of “Spinning” Definition
  • Organizer’s Guide: Tiebreaking Clarifications

Burst Format Updates

Spriggan Requiem Layer – Mode Changing Between Rounds is Now Banned
As has been recently demonstrated, Spriggan Requiem has proven it is immensely competitive. However, it has been made even more powerful due to the mode changing for parts which require disassembly ruling we introduced in October of 2017.

[Image: Spriggan-Requiem-Layer-Beyblade-Burst.png]

After seeing Spriggan Requiem in action with mode switching in between rounds permitted, we’ve decided to ban such mode changes for Sr specifically. Having a Layer with good spin stealing abilities that can switch spin directions has produced an unhealthy scenario where counters to one spin direction are immediately made irrelevant by swapping direction. You may of course change the mode of Sr in between matches, but effective immediately you may no longer switch modes within a single match between rounds.

Other Layers such as Alter Chronos and Legend Spriggan which also have mode changes which require disassembly are unaffected by this ruling; you may still switch the mode of those Layers between rounds up to once per match.

[Image: Maximum-Garuda-Layer-mG-Beyblade-Burst-W...banned.png]

Maximum Garuda Layer – Now Unbanned
The previously announced trial ban of Maximum Garuda for ten tournaments has now been completed. After evaluating its performance against newer parts and combinations in testing posted here, we have decided to unban Maximum Garuda as it now has several more reliable counters than it did previously when it was first banned. However, we will continue to monitor its performance moving forward.

See the winning combinations lists from the ten events hosted during the trial period:

Please feel free to continue posting your thoughts on Maximum Garuda and any tests you might conduct in the Maximum Garuda Testing/Discussion thread or in commentary related to a specific tournament in the Winning Combinations thread!

Updates to All Rulebooks

Gameplay Appendix – Clarification of “Spinning” Definition
With the recent introduction of parts like Bearing into Beyblade Burst, the classic debate over what the definition of ‘spinning’ is has continued recently. As such, we felt it would be prudent to take some of what we’ve learned from discussions like this to revise and clarify what the intention of our definition of ‘spinning’ means.

The definition now reads:

Gameplay Appendix – Spinning Wrote:A Beyblade is still considered to be spinning as long as it is visibly rotating to any degree along the axis running directly through the center of the Beyblade faster than the rotation along the stadium floor. A complete full rotation around this axis is not needed to be considered spinning. Rotation along the stadium floor alone is considered ‘rolling’ and is therefore no longer considered to be spinning.

Some Beyblades have parts that allow the upper half to continue rotating after the bottom half has stopped; these are still considered to be spinning. Once a Beyblade stops spinning, the round ends. If a Beyblade starts spinning again after it has stopped, the round does not resume.

Bold denotes new additions. The key takeaway here is that Beyblades are only considered to be spinning when they are visibly rotating along the axis of their tip; if they aren’t doing this, it doesn’t matter if they are moving or rolling in any other fashion, they are not considered to be spinning by our definition.

Organizer’s Guide Updates

Tiebreaking Clarifications
We have made some clarifications to the tiebreaking procedures for both Swiss and Round Robin-based events regarding the proper application of the TB column value, the application of seeding as a tiebreaking factor in some specific situations, and the rare occurrence of a necessary tiebreak match for Swiss Format when determining who moves on to the Final Stage of WBO Organized Play Events.

The easiest way to understand these changes is to review this updated list of tiebreaking factors which is organized from the first which should be applied, all the way down to the final tiebreak factor only if necessary to break the tie. Bolded text denotes new additions or clarifications:

Round Robin/Block Round Robin
1. Overall score/win record
2. TB column (Only if the players in question have match history)
3. Tiebreaker match

Swiss Format
1. Overall score/win record
2. TB column (Only if the players in question have match history)
3. Buchholz
4. Seeding: Higher seed retains higher spot if above factors are all tied (Only if determining the order of two participants already guaranteed a spot in the finals).
5. Tiebreaker match (Only if there is a tiebreak which involves two or more players on the edge of making the finals or not)

For more background on this change, please see both Wombat’s and my post here.

Feedback?
If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.

View all WBO Organized Play Rules & Resources here.
AWESOME AS IM GETTING THE RED GARUDA LAYER. GONNA PAIR IT UP WITH 2 GLAIVE YIELDING!!!!
(Feb. 15, 2018  10:46 AM)SupremeBlxder24 Wrote: AWESOME AS IM GETTING THE RED GARUDA LAYER. GONNA PAIR IT UP WITH 2 GLAIVE YIELDING!!!!

If you have five then use that

I mean the '5' disc not five '2's
red garuda is way worse then the yellow one just saying supreme id just wait for april to roll around for the hasbro maximus garuda
(Feb. 15, 2018  7:36 PM)bidinga Wrote: red garuda is way worse then the yellow one just saying supreme id just wait for april to roll around for the hasbro maximus garuda

what’s specifically worse about it?

i have both and notice no difference (yet?).  i happen to like the red color more, fwiw.
(Feb. 15, 2018  7:59 PM)RedPanda2 Wrote:
(Feb. 15, 2018  7:36 PM)bidinga Wrote: red garuda is way worse then the yellow one just saying supreme id just wait for april to roll around for the hasbro maximus garuda

what’s specifically worse about it?

i have both and notice no difference (yet?).  i happen to like the red color more, fwiw.

I think it's just that Maximum Garuda has more counters now, so it's a case of "Oh wow it bursts so much. But everyone says it's OP. There must be something wrong with this version"
(Feb. 15, 2018  8:57 PM)MonoDragon Wrote: I think it's just that Maximum Garuda has more counters now, so it's a case of "Oh wow it bursts so much. But everyone says it's OP. There must be something wrong with this version"

This seems pretty accurate to me. I have tested both on the same day recently with a brand new red one and a brand new yellow one and noticed no difference.

That's a mighty fine Maximus Garudius you have there, Hasbro. It'd be a shame if you overlooked something in the renaming process... Tongue_out
Now theres a sort of easier way to get Garuda so i do agree with the unban as also theres counters
This has nothing to do with this but do you know when the next Toronto tournament is going to happen if you do know pls reply
Watch the cancer overflow in tournaments

Garuda-pocalypse
(Feb. 19, 2018  6:05 PM)LordL0Ls Wrote: Watch the cancer overflow in tournaments

Garuda-pocalypse

I think you mean Spriggan Requiem Ds-pocalypse
(Feb. 17, 2018  5:01 PM)Light Feather Wrote: This has nothing to do with this but do you know when the next Toronto tournament is going to happen if you do know pls reply

Stay tuned and post any questions in the Toronto community thread here. We're in the process of trying to find a new indoor venue right now. Worst case scenario, we'll start doing outdoor tournaments again later in March.
Yes! Now when I get the Hasbro one or the red one, I'll be able to use it. Though with things like deep chaos, I think seig xcalibur, an some of the new releases it won't be nearly as good.
do you mean no changeing rotation or tip
(Feb. 24, 2018  7:22 PM)phantom blade Wrote: do you mean no changeing rotation or tip

Rotation. That's why the opening posts shows and states "Spriggan Requiem Layer".
I have all versions of spriggan requiem gold,black,normal

My gravity perseus is comming today
with dαS, dαRT, & dαE being released would it be legal too use all 3 of them in deck format? as in having a dαS & dαRT both with full combos and then having a forge-disc+frame/regular disc with a driver + dαE god chip as the third "combo" and you disassemble the layers when you'd want to use dαE??
cus technically its not reusing layers and obviously the rest of their combos wouldnt be repeated parts either and they all have different god chips and we know they're officially 3 seperate beys. i was just wondering since i plan on going to a tournament soon and i also ordered the duo eclipse and i should have it by mid-march. (and i figure this could really throw people off with these brand new beys being released and not much time to test against it, but its a double edged sword since i dont have much time to test its use fully myself so i just want to know if i could even do that legally in a tourny)

EDIT: this question is directed at the OP, Kei (since he's qualified to answer this for me)
(Feb. 28, 2018  9:15 PM)Bey_$avage Wrote: with dαS, dαRT, & dαE being released would it be legal too use all 3 of them in deck format? as in having a dαS & dαRT both with full combos and then having a forge-disc+frame/regular disc with a driver + dαE god chip as the third "combo" and you disassemble the layers when you'd want to use dαE??
cus technically its not reusing layers and obviously the rest of their combos wouldnt be repeated parts either and they all have different god chips and we know they're officially 3 seperate beys. i was just wondering since i plan on going to a tournament soon and i also ordered the duo eclipse and i should have it by mid-march. (and i figure this could really throw people off with these brand new beys being released and not much time to test against it, but its a double edged sword since i dont have much time to test its use fully myself so i just want to know if i could even do that legally in a tourny)

EDIT: this question is directed at the OP, Kei (since he's qualified to answer this for me)

Good question. We're planning to post a March 2018 rule update shortly with a few other items, so we'll clarify our stance on this as well. Thanks!
(Mar. 01, 2018  8:40 PM)Kei Wrote: Good question. We're planning to post a March 2018 rule update shortly with a few other items, so we'll clarify our stance on this as well. Thanks!

Thanks man! I'll be looking forward to the March updates Smile ! BTW, you're my favorite blader Kei, and seeing your passion for blading (while I am also an adult still active in this great hobby) really is inspiring for me to go out want to participate in tournaments. And I'll be waiting for the March update and paying attention intensely. Thanks once again bro, you're the coolest
(Mar. 01, 2018  9:15 PM)Bey_$avage Wrote: seeing your passion for blading (while I am also an adult still active in this great hobby) really is inspiring for me to go out want to participate in tournaments.

Thank you so much! This is what I like to hear. Smile The community we have online is incredibly important, but playing in tournaments and being able to meet people through them really are the two best things about this hobby and our community.
why don't they ban this combo valkrie boost jaggy it's op
(Mar. 10, 2018  7:21 PM)da truth Wrote: why don't they ban this  combo valkrie boost jaggy it's op

Stop trolling
I though we could only use Hasbro beyblade in tourments.