Tornado Stalling Article.

Seeing as too many people have asking what Tornado Stalling is lately, apparently related to the new Omega Dragonis 85XF article mentioning that expression, it should probably get an article.

Quote:Tornado Stalling is a fan-made expression for the technique that consists in launching a Beyblade, particularly an Attack type, so that it circles the stadium while embracing the innermost barrier, the Tornado Ridge. This strategy, while involuntary and done by default in amateurs' cases, can allow Beyblade combos with plastic tips that are at least semi-aggressive to outspin other combinations because of the barely-restrained velocity ("momentum" would be better ?). With very aggressive customizations, like those using RF, R²F, LRF, MF, XF or WF, the force that wants them to move forward despite the circular shape of the BeyStadium and its slope being contained only by the Tornado Ridge pushes ferociously against this barrier and moves the stadium from side to side, in a linear, horizontal pattern. This shift of position can be enough to destabilize the other Beyblade spinning in the stadium, which will help the combo that is Tornado Stalling to outspin it even more. However, being so close to the extremities of the stadium increases the risks of exiting it by yourself. Also since flat, rubber Bottoms have poor Stamina anyway, it is still preferable to launch such Attack types with a Sliding Shoot instead of Tornado Stalling, to make sure to win in the first few seconds with powerful hits and not risk losing the battle of endurance.

As usual, if you want to add anything or if you think anything should be modified, you can post suggestions below.
Quote:Tornado Stalling is a fan-made expression for the technique that consists in launching a Beyblade, particularly an Attack type, so that it circles the stadium while embracing the innermost barrier; the Tornado Ridge. This strategy, while involuntary in amateurs' cases, can allow Beyblade combos with plastic tips that are at least semi-aggressive to outspin other combinations because of the barely-restrained momentum. With very aggressive customizations, like those using RF, R²F, LRF, XF or WF, the force that wants them to move forward despite the circular shape of the BeyStadium and its slope being contained only by the Tornado Ridge pushes ferociously against this barrier and moves the stadium from side to side, in a linear, horizontal pattern(not necessarily?). This shift of position can be enough to destabilize the other Beyblade spinning in the stadium, which will help the combo that is Tornado Stalling to outspin it even more. However, since flat, rubber Bottoms have poor Stamina anyway, it is still preferable to launch such Attack types with a Sliding Shoot instead of Tornado Stalling, to make sure to win in the first few seconds with powerful hits and not risk losing the battle of endurance.

Velocity:
The speed of something in a given direction.

Momentum:
The quantity of motion of a moving body, measured as a product of its mass and velocity.

Momentum sounds better if we're going by definition, IMO.

Other than that, very nice and brief article.
Quote:Tornado Stalling is a fan-made expression for the technique that consists in launching a Beyblade, particularly an Attack type, so that it circles the stadium while embracing the innermost barrier, the Tornado Ridge. This strategy, while involuntary and sometimes very common in amateurs' cases, can allow Beyblade combos with plastic tips that are at least semi-aggressive to outspin other combinations because of the barely-restrained velocity. With very aggressive customizations, like those using RF, R²F, LRF, MF, XF or WF, the force that wants them to move forward despite the circular shape of the BeyStadium and its slope being contained only by the Tornado Ridge pushes ferociously against this barrier and moves the stadium from side to side, in a linear, horizontal pattern. This shift of position can be enough to destabilize the other Beyblade spinning in the stadium, which will help the combo that is Tornado Stalling to outspin it even more. However, it can sometimes lead to a self-KO if not executed correctly. Also, since flat, rubber Bottoms have poor Stamina anyway, it is still preferable to launch such Attack types with a Sliding Shoot instead of Tornado Stalling, to make sure to win in the first few seconds with powerful hits and not risk losing the battle of endurance.

I really didn't find much, and I added my suggestions (that is, that they are helpful at all).

I really think this article is a good thing. Good thinking, Kai-V!!
(Jul. 29, 2012  2:52 AM)Insomniac Wrote: linear, horizontal pattern(not necessarily?).

What I want to write is that the stadium never goes upwards : it always moves as if on a flat x-y graph on the ground.

(Jul. 29, 2012  2:52 AM)Insomniac Wrote: Velocity:
The speed of something in a given direction.

Momentum:
The quantity of motion of a moving body, measured as a product of its mass and velocity.

Momentum sounds better if we're going by definition, IMO.

Both, combined, is what I mean though, hah.
(Jul. 29, 2012  3:02 AM)Kai-V Wrote: What I want to write is that the stadium never goes upwards : it always moves as if on a flat x-y graph on the ground.

Huh, I really did not know that it never would go up. Haha, seriously? If it's uncontrolled, I though it did not have a "set" movement as the stadium is round. XD

(Jul. 29, 2012  3:02 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Both, combined, is what I mean though, hah.

"Moment-ic velocity ".XD
Well, isn't this a coincidence, haha.
Primal's Dad was just asking us today what Tornado-Stalling was when we talked about it xD
I can't find much if anything at all aside from the things already pointed out.
Like Def mentioned, MF certainly needs to be added to the list of tips that can execute it well.
Yes, I have no idea how I forgot MF.
(Jul. 29, 2012  3:02 AM)Kai-V Wrote: What I want to write is that the stadium never goes upwards : it always moves as if on a flat x-y graph on the ground.

"planar", is the the word you're looking for, i believe. i.e. "some tornado stalling can result in planar movement of the stadium on the surface of the ground"
Quote:Tornado Stalling is a fan-made expression for the technique that consists in launching a Beyblade, usually an Attack type, so that it circles the stadium while embracing the innermost barrier, the Tornado Ridge.
This is good, though to nitpick I might say "usually" instead of "particularly."

Quote:This strategy, while involuntary and done by default in amateurs' cases,
I'd reword this since, to me, this makes it sound like the strategy is entirely involuntary. Maybe "Though this strategy is most often an involuntary result of an amateur using an attack type, it can..."

Quote:...can allow Beyblade combos with flat tips that are at least semi-aggressive to outspin other combinations. because of the barely-restrained velocity ("momentum" would be better ?).
I think the word "flat" would be better than "plastic" in this case, since any of the Flat variants can take advantage of Tornado Stalling. Also, I think the best way to word this might be to not say it at all, as you can get this point across just by emphasizing the result.

Quote:With very aggressive customizations, like those using RF, R²F, LRF, MF, XF or WF, the force that wants them to move forward despite the circular shape of the BeyStadium and its slope being contained only by the Tornado Ridge pushes ferociously against this barrier and moves the stadium from side to side, in a linear, horizontal pattern. This shift of position can be enough to destabilize the other Beyblade spinning in the stadium, which will help the combo that is Tornado Stalling to outspin it even more.
I'm crossing out this section because, frankly, I don't firmly agree that it should be included. Stadium movement is sometimes a byproduct of tornado stalling, yes, but only if the stadium is not anchored in some way; this is not always true, however, and as such I would avoid mentioning it altogether.

If this does stay in the final draft of the article, I do want to have a clause that states "this is only true if the stadium is not anchored" or something of the like.

Quote:However, Tornado Stalling puts your Beyblade close to the extremities of the stadium, increasing both the chance of self-KOs and of being KOed.
These are minor wording edits that I'd recommend.

Quote:Also since flat, rubber Bottoms have poor Stamina anyway, it is still preferable to launch such Attack types with a Sliding Shoot instead of Tornado Stalling, to make sure to win in the first few seconds with powerful hits and not risk losing the battle of endurance.
This makes Tornado Stalling sound very negative and/or something to avoid entirely. It definitely has its place in competitive blading, so I want to reword this:

"Because standard Attack types aim win in the first few seconds of a battle and typically have poor stamina, it is generally preferred to use the Sliding Shoot to maximize the chance for a KO. That said, if your custom has at least moderate Stamina, intentionally Tornado Stalling can be done if you feel that your custom could potentially OS your opponent, though this is a risky option at best."

This would be my final draft. I did a little more editing that I didn't mention above:

Quote:Tornado Stalling is a fan-made expression for the technique that consists in launching a Beyblade, usually an Attack type, so that it circles the stadium while embracing the innermost barrier, the Tornado Ridge. Though this strategy is most often an involuntary result of an amateur using an Attack type, it can be intentionally used to allow Beyblade combos with flat tips (F, RF, MF, and the like) to outspin other combinations. However, Tornado Stalling puts your Beyblade close to the extremities of the stadium, increasing both the chance of self-KOs and of being KOed.

Because standard Attack types aim win in the first few seconds of a battle and typically have poor stamina, it is generally preferred to use the Sliding Shoot over Tornado Stalling to maximize the chance for a KO. That said, if your custom has at least moderate Stamina, intentionally Tornado Stalling can be done if you feel that your custom could potentially OS your opponent, though this is a risky option at best.

This is much, much shorter, though I feel it's cleaner and more understandable. The main thing I wanted to change was how negative the original draft made Tornado Stalling sound, as while it is risky, it does have its uses when performed intentionally.
(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I'd reword this since, to me, this makes it sound like the strategy is entirely involuntary. Maybe "Though this strategy is most often an involuntary result of an amateur using an attack type, it can..."

Hm, I agree that the "and done by default in amateurs' cases" could be interpreted as not being linked to "while involuntary". I will change it.

(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I think the word "flat" would be better than "plastic" in this case, since any of the Flat variants can take advantage of Tornado Stalling. Also, I think the best way to word this might be to not say it at all, as you can get this point across just by emphasizing the result.

OK for "flat", but what is the result being emphasize ... ?

(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I'm crossing out this section because, frankly, I don't firmly agree that it should be included. Stadium movement is sometimes a byproduct of tornado stalling, yes, but only if the stadium is not anchored in some way; this is not always true, however, and as such I would avoid mentioning it altogether.

If this does stay in the final draft of the article, I do want to have a clause that states "this is only true if the stadium is not anchored" or something of the like.

Sure, I will add something about the stadium not being anchored, which is what people do by default as far as I know.

(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: This makes Tornado Stalling sound very negative and/or something to avoid entirely. It definitely has its place in competitive blading, so I want to reword this:

"Because standard Attack types aim win in the first few seconds of a battle and typically have poor stamina, it is generally preferred to use the Sliding Shoot to maximize the chance for a KO. That said, if your custom has at least moderate Stamina, intentionally Tornado Stalling can be done if you feel that your custom could potentially OS your opponent, though this is a risky option at best."

I think your entire comment is "muted" (bad term) by the fact that it is clearly written "flat, rubber Bottoms". If the reader has a flat Bottom that is not made of plastic, like those that are listed beforehand, then that part does not apply.

(Jul. 29, 2012  8:11 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I think the word "flat" would be better than "plastic" in this case, since any of the Flat variants can take advantage of Tornado Stalling. Also, I think the best way to word this might be to not say it at all, as you can get this point across just by emphasizing the result.

OK for "flat", but what is the result being emphasize ... ?

Sorry, that wasn't clear at all. I was saying that the more technical/physics-y (mostly potentially confusing) language could be avoided but just emphasizing the result; that is to say, all you need to say is that the Beyblade circles the stadium by hugging the Tornado Ridge, and by leaving out the physics stuff the article is more understandable.

(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I'm crossing out this section because, frankly, I don't firmly agree that it should be included. Stadium movement is sometimes a byproduct of tornado stalling, yes, but only if the stadium is not anchored in some way; this is not always true, however, and as such I would avoid mentioning it altogether.

Sure, I will add something about the stadium not being anchored, which is what people do by default as far as I know.
That's perfect then, excellent!

(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote: This makes Tornado Stalling sound very negative and/or something to avoid entirely. It definitely has its place in competitive blading, so I want to reword this:

I think your entire comment is "muted" (bad term) by the fact that it is clearly written "flat, rubber Bottoms". If the reader has a flat Bottom that is not made of plastic, like those that are listed beforehand, then that part does not apply.

I specifically tried not to say "flat, rubber Bottoms" because by avoiding that terminology that statement could be made. When I said "if your custom has at least moderate Stamina," I was trying to indirectly say that the bottom needs to have some degree of Stamina to work (IE made of plastic or metal). I think spelling that out more clearly would be good, and I do think mentioning that it is an option is a good idea.
(Jul. 29, 2012  7:29 PM)Ingulit Wrote:
Quote:With very aggressive customizations, like those using RF, R²F, LRF, MF, XF or WF, the force that wants them to move forward despite the circular shape of the BeyStadium and its slope being contained only by the Tornado Ridge pushes ferociously against this barrier and moves the stadium from side to side, in a linear, horizontal pattern. This shift of position can be enough to destabilize the other Beyblade spinning in the stadium, which will help the combo that is Tornado Stalling to outspin it even more.
I'm crossing out this section because, frankly, I don't firmly agree that it should be included. Stadium movement is sometimes a byproduct of tornado stalling, yes, but only if the stadium is not anchored in some way; this is not always true, however, and as such I would avoid mentioning it altogether.

It seems more necessary than not, IMO, so probably add that bolded part in there, too...
dont you think a video should also be added as an example to show tornado stalling the same way theres a video of sliding shoot? i think that would be good for some beginners forkids who would'nt understand "big words" Tongue_out just a suggestion...
More aggressive CS's can tornado stall extremely well.

Should be mentioned that it isn't limited to MFB. In Plastics, Grip Base (Dragoon Grip Attacker) is very, very prone to catching the tornado ridge due to the shape of the tip, and reaches mindblowing speeds while tornado stalling. Spiral Change Base is another top tier part that is very prone to it (it's a lot like XF in terms of hyper aggressive movement and tendency to slip the ridge).
In fact, a big focus of Engine Gears was their "Tornado Attack" where they circled the ridge at high speed once the engine gear kicked in (a well spun way of saying "move uncontrollably and miss the opponent entirely.")

In HMS, the Metal Flat running core of Advance Striker is very, very prone to tornado stalling.
Kai-V: This is a quick suggestion, but maybe you might want to possibly add one or two examples of combo's that tornado stall effectively and OS an opponent.

I agree with Ingulit that a video would be great for the Beywiki (*if possible)

Also since tests have already been done, I think it would do no harm to post a set on the Beywiki.

One thing does bother me though. Not all tornado stallers are particularly attack types. I mean Ingulit combo Phantom Hades 90 MF is not an attacker. To me its more of a balance type that focuses on outspinning its opponent.

You mentioned that RF, R2F, and LRF can be used to tornado stall. However I don't think they can do it/this very effectively. I mean, even if the opposing Bey is destabilized, RF, R2F, and LRF have horrendous stamina (meaning not enough to OS its opponent most of the time.) Rubber Tips have more friction than plastic and Metal Tips and so loose some stamina while tornado stalling.

Your article is great but I think you should only keep XF, MF, and WF as bottoms that can effictively and efficiently destabilize. As to what th!nk said, CS has many variables and I do not know how well an agrresive CS can tornado stall...?:\
I kind of agree with you there. The rubber variants of tips that are flat CAN be used for tornado stalling, but they can't OS efficiently. And like BL said, CS has many variables. One of my CS isabout as aggressive as R2F, while one is so calm, it could never Tornado Stall. And my quick CS can't Tornado Stall very good either, before it goes calm, so personally I wouldn't have it mentioned in the article.
Well, most of my use of CS was with things like Basalt TH220CS and stuff which tornado stalls really well even with a pretty mid-way aggressive CS (a passive one that is a little worn), perhaps because my launch isn't particularly steady.
The point is though, that CS and those rubber tips CAN tornado stall. They make terrible use of it, sure, but they can do it and have a tendency to, unless you slide shoot.
Fair point I assume, and I still believe they should be excluded from it, but you're right. Maybe mention that XF/WF/MF do the job best and the others can do it as well, just not as efficiently?

Also, what would be the status on MB included in this? MBs have been known to be quite aggressive at times, so maybe it could possibly be included?
In the context of the sentence it should be mentioned, yes.

Most MB's don't tornado stall effectively in my experience, though WBBA countries somehow seem to get them going ape, they have CS's moving as faster than our R2F's too.
CF and GCF can also tornado stall quite effectively in the BB-10 Stadium.

XF, WF, GCF, CF, and MF tornado stall the most efficiently.

There are way too many variables with CS and MB...

As th!nk mentioned, its probably best to say that while RF, R2F, and LRF can tornado stall, its better to use them with only slide shooting (Kai-V mentioned this.) Pure Rubber Tips loose stamina while tornado stalling, so they definitely are not the best options.
My Edit of Kai-V's Great Draft: Tornado Stalling is a fan-made expression for the technique that consists in launching a Beyblade, particularly an Attack type, so that it circles the stadium while embracing the innermost barrier, the Tornado Ridge. This strategy, while involuntary and done by default in amateurs' cases, can allow Beyblade combos with plastic tips that are at least semi-aggressive to outspin other combinations because of the barely-restrained velocity and momentum. With very aggressive customizations, like those using XF, WF, GCF, CF, MF, RF, R2F, or LRF, the force that wants them to move forward despite the circular shape of the BeyStadium and its slope being contained only by the Tornado Ridge pushes ferociously against this barrier and moves the stadium from side to side, in a linear, horizontal pattern. This shift of position can be enough to destabilize the other Beyblade spinning in the stadium, which will help the combo that is Tornado Stalling to outspin it . However, being so close to the extremities of the stadium increases the risks of exiting it by yourself. Also, it should be noted that since flat, rubber Bottoms have poor Stamina anyway, it is still preferable to launch such Attack types with a Sliding Shoot instead of Tornado Stalling, to make sure to win in the first few seconds with powerful hits and not risk losing the battle of endurance, and therefore, the most efficient tips to use are XF, WF, GCF, CF, and MF.

Example of an efficient "Tornado Staller": MF-F Phantom Cancer AD145 XF

CS tornado stalls nicely with a 20 degree bank, from my experience.

I think the passage about moving the stadium should be removed; causing the stadium to move is not a gimmick, like in Zero-G, so it is unintended and should probably be illegal. At Coach's Beydays tournament, the stadiums were Velcroed to the ground. I think there should be something in the rules covering Stadium motion.
(Aug. 02, 2012  2:09 AM)Cake Wrote: CS tornado stalls nicely with a 20 degree bank, from my experience.

I think the passage about moving the stadium should be removed; causing the stadium to move is not a gimmick, like in Zero-G, so it is unintended and should probably be illegal. At Coach's Beydays tournament, the stadiums were Velcroed to the ground. I think there should be something in the rules covering Stadium motion.

We have a discussion on this in the Advanced Forum. Making the stadium move through Tornado Stalling can be a powerful strategy, and has never particularly been regulated by any organisation.
Kai-V, I think your article is ready to be published on the Beywiki.

I think its best to leave CS because its has way too many variables. A calm or semi-calm CS will probably not tornado stall vey well when launched at a 20 degree angle.
I know this is an old article, but considering the new Burst system and all the other new stuff, I wonder if Tornado Stalling has a place somewhere in the current meta.