Should we ban Basalt?

Poll: Should any changes be made?

Do not change the rules.
62.41%
Ban the Basalt Metal Wheel entirely.
16.55%
Basalt's use should be restricted in some way (post your suggestions).
21.03%
Total: 100% 290 vote(s)
I did mention in the Takara Tomy Asia Championship thread that WBBA rules differ slightly for each country, depending on the franchisee company.

I do, however, feel that Libra mold 1 (BB-18 / BB-22) is better than mold 2 or 3. It could perhaps the reasoning behind Singapore's WBBA ban on BB-18 only. It's just masked behind the safety reasons.

Anyway, enough being side-tracked. The point being is that the deck system / points system of WBBA rules are also options for the committees to consider in regard of this Basalt ban.
The Deck style is just a way to restrict continuous use of it in play. Because honestly, I wouldnt want to end up in a situation where I would not have the option to change (from WBBA playing rules standing)

As for to what Uwik point out, yes the rules do differ. Singapore actually based their rules initially from HK then eventually JP (due to the asia cup). But I believe its more of "lost in translation" for the rules on my side.

Although everything is in black and white, whether the judges are competent enough is another thing -__-
Deck Battle System is just way too restrictive in my opinion. You have to choose three different combinations with different (Metal) Wheels, and you have to arrange them in order already, so all the competitiveness is lost because basically customization number one faces the opponent's customization number one, and then it completely changes for the second round, etc.
Yeah, and I just realized myself, that some bladers own just 1 or 2 beyblades only. This system would not be fair for them.
The Deck system seems like it'd be a neat secondary format to include in some tournaments if it could generate enough interest, though. It seems like it would place more emphasis on knowing how to use all of your customs and numerous different types of Beyblade.

Obviously people with fewer Beys wouldn't really be able to apply to it, but that is why it'd be a neat secondary format, not primary. Moreover, the traditional format would still likely be most people's main choice, but sometimes something different is nice and can be enjoyable.
Actually for our side its randomised by the judges. So we dont really know the order. Also, we dont really know what our opponent is using. We just pull out any from box in no particular order since we dont know the order to begin with. IMO, this just prevents the stalling clause since the combos you have are suppose to cover you on all situations (supposedly)

Edit: an offensive oriented player may want to use offensive MWs like gravity/lightning/Hell as a combo line up. This is just one example.

Edit2: Point taken Uwik. We do have some players with lesser amount of beys =\

Edit3: Although not entirely related to Basalt, before it came out, our metagame was dominated by stamina oriented beys (namely Earth). Organisers actually forced us to have at least one attack class bey (just 2 beys is enough) to be used for at least 1 in 3 rounds (at that point of time). Strange, but it forced players to not take the safe route.
Looks like the only good thing I can do around here is test.
The factory was rolling today, and I found a combination which can beat MF-H Basalt Kerbecs BD145CS consistently and still remain competitive viable elsewhere.
I might even start up a thread for the combination, probably something really catchy, witty and funny: Bassaulted by Hell. (or something)
Some of you may feel this isn't related but it actually helps my argument to not ban Basalt, since we do indeed have capable wheels to beat it.
That's well and good but there are two arguments against that:
  • What else is that particularly viable against? It would be interesting to see test results across the board from that, as gruelling as that may seem haha.
  • Also, as some of us have already mentioned, yes, counters for Basalt BD145 already exist, but that's not to say that it is not still incredibly dominant in straight up comparisons to other Wheels. Of course, we need to have more results to confirm/debunk this.
I think most of you guys are missing the point. It seems like ONLY stamina types can beat basalt. Therefore, every one will use an Basalt/Sycthe/Hell stamina combos. We should bring out attackers which is more fun, calm, and challenging to the metagame. i'll admit, Im sick of seeing stamina types that beat basalt which there is majority of it. Attackers should have the chance. Plus the game isnt balanced at all for those who HASNT been at a tournament so how can you say its balanced or "yah!, definitely, we'll use stamina combos! heheheheheh tee Eee". I mean come go to a tourney and see for yourself.

And Kei, perfect example. He's been dominating Canada using basalt all the time. Quite obvious no? Also, Im glad Blitz did the unofficial tournament ban of basalt. the game was much more entertaining then "mirror matches" almost all the time.
So, ®, you want to ban Basalt?
If that goes through, I plan on having a field day.

As for your questions, ♥, I would not have posted about it unless it could beat other combinations. I think you'd know that by now, lol. I don't 'do' single counters, really.

In regard to Q#2: Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you simply saying Basalt is just better than most other wheels? Who cares? Lightning is better than at least 90% of other wheels considered for attack, yet we don't discriminate on it. (probably because it isn't abused in tournaments.) But if you're just for banning a wheel because its better than other wheels and it is used frequently (because it is better), I'm not sure in that specific context it is fair. I know I shouldn't be saying this, but in the way I just described why people might want to ban Basalt, the only words I feel like saying are 'Deal with it'. I know its wrong, though. lol

I'll put up some tests against other wheels very soon, can I make a topic if the results are good enough?
But there is more variety in the Attack metagame. Fang, Beat, Lightning, Gravity, and I'm sure I'm missing a few more, while Defense has one Basalt. Everyone using Basalt makes the game pretty boring, as you can easily forget about the other types in general. While you may not win EVERY tournament, Basalt practically guarantees you some wins, and allows people to use it without any deviation from the norm, which isn't good for the metagame.
(Aug. 18, 2011  11:28 PM)® Wrote: I think most of you guys are missing the point. It seems like ONLY stamina types can beat basalt.

Um no that's clearly not true. Decent attack combos can beat basalt.
(Aug. 18, 2011  11:45 PM)Temporal Wrote: But there is more variety in the Attack metagame. Fang, Beat, Lightning, Gravity, and I'm sure I'm missing a few more, while Defense has one Basalt. Everyone using Basalt makes the game pretty boring, as you can easily forget about the other types in general. While you may not win EVERY tournament, Basalt practically guarantees you some wins, and allows people to use it without any deviation from the norm, which isn't good for the metagame.
You can weak launch with other types, too. If you do g perseus bd145cs/mb/eds, you can just weak launch in the opposite direction that your opponent is using.
(Aug. 19, 2011  12:23 AM)Ultrablader Wrote:
(Aug. 18, 2011  11:28 PM)® Wrote: I think most of you guys are missing the point. It seems like ONLY stamina types can beat basalt.

Only a FEW. man, just a FEW.
(Aug. 19, 2011  2:56 AM)® Wrote:

Fang , Beat , LDD , LLD , Gravity , VariAres , Blitz ect.

The only stamina types that beat basalt are Earth and Scythe.
Gravity has too much recoil IMO. Not enough for basalt. Same with Fang in my POV. But every one selse has different opinoins. Guess you could say that.
(Aug. 19, 2011  2:59 AM)RustyXD Wrote:
(Aug. 19, 2011  2:56 AM)® Wrote:

Fang , Beat , LDD , LLD , Gravity , VariAres , Blitz ect.

The only stamina types that beat basalt are Earth and Scythe.
Flame can if it doesn't get KO'd first. Also, Meteo can OS.
Deikailo Really flame? I should try it out although I am quite confident it will get KO'ed since when I use basalt against Earth , Earth gets KO'ed. Yeah and I forgot meteo thanks for mentioning it Smile
(Aug. 18, 2011  6:28 PM)Deikailo Wrote: To discriminate based on age is pointless. There MANY young bladers who are much more than amateurs. Beyjun would be the best example.

(Aug. 18, 2011  2:36 PM)Jacksonian Wrote: I didn't say that instantly puts you into that category, I said that that was the main age group TT was aiming for, although they did extend the age limit in tournaments to 14 at max.

I was not discriminating based on ages of the bladers, once again I will say that I was merely stating that to ban basalt from this age particular age group would in fact be fair to no one. Some unnamed members had commented that they were always getting frustrated with seeing amateurs using basalt in their combos.

This was my response to their comments, that TT had 8-11 year olds in mind when they started marketing beyblades. After they saw that they could interest some teens as well they allowed ages going up to 14 year olds in their tournaments.

This was not supposed to be made into a "age discrimination" debate, nor was it supposed to create an "off" topic.

(Aug. 19, 2011  5:19 AM)RustyXD Wrote: Deikailo Really flame? I should try it out although I am quite confident it will get KO'ed since when I use basalt against Earth , Earth gets KO'ed. Yeah and I forgot meteo thanks for mentioning it Smile
You can't launch it at full strength, but it has such a good solo spin time that you really don't need to.
No, don't ban it, we have PLENTY of ways to defeat it. Lightning L Drago BD145 LRF, MF-H Burn Bull AD145SD, just to name a few. In fact, mabye even a Meteo L Drago TR145 MF stalling might beat a Basalt Kerbecs BD145 CS.
But we're not saying it is unbeatable. We're saying that it allows ZERO deviation from types. You either use a counter that doesn't win against anything else, a pure Stamina Type, or you use LLD BD145RF or Beat/Fang. It makes the metagame pretty stale to see a counter or the same six combos over and over. What happened to Vulcan? Earth? Burn? Virgo? Libra? GB145? Leone? All of these became useless due to what? Basalt. Heck, RF isn't cutting it as well, and that is a serious issue. LRF and R2F are the most viable choices right now, and RF has fallen to the wayside to a certain extent. The problem with this is, how many times did the metagame change? Often. How many times did RF come out unscathed? Every single time.
MF doesn't stall to well , that's what XF is for. Burn Bull AD145SD has no chance against basalt.

Temporal RF still cuts it , Beat Lynx R145RF does very well against basalt.
I know that, but more and more combos have shifted to R2F and LRF. When did this start happening on a noticeable scale? When Basalt became readily available.
What about this : http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-White-Ve...00R%C2%B2F
Either way I preferred R2F before basalt came along.

About the parts you mentioned
Vulcan : Started to become outclassed because of 230 , but basalt finished it off.
Earth : Does fine for stamina(Still beats basalt apparently) , was bested by Libra for defense.
Burn: Earth was always a better choice IMO , and Hell finished that off.
Virgo: The 5 minute mold was best , but nobody seems to have that so we can't no for sure , but either way i still think Scythe is better.
GB145: 230 and BD145 killed it.
Leone : It wasn't used very much , only in italy and it was said that pegasus is better.