Random Thoughts 5 - READ RULES IN FIRST POST

So the wbo has been very "buggy" lately...

What you did there.

I see it.
The stag beetle's shadow is totally wrong by the way :')
(Aug. 22, 2015  4:53 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: The stag beetle's shadow is totally wrong by the way :')

That's because it's a reflection... Wink
EDIT: My Bad, thought I posted this in Recent Purchases.

Hot Wheels Millenium Falcon for my Desk. Because I work in Advertising, keeping toys at your desk it totally cool. A perk I take advantage of.

[Image: IMG_20150824_130545_zpsvkdutdex.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150824_130955_zpsnhe0lj6q.jpg]
Just me that thinks of AnnieDuck when I see that Blastoise?

But wow, isn't that a nice advantage for? :3 Loving that Millenium Falcon!
Now we need the hovering technology from that hovering Burst stadium!
(Aug. 24, 2015  6:20 PM)Khel Wrote: EDIT: My Bad, thought I posted this in Recent Purchases.

Hot Wheels Millenium Falcon for my Desk. Because I work in Advertising, keeping toys at your desk it totally cool. A perk I take advantage of.

[snip]

That banshee is incredibly pretty, did you make that yourself, or is it a robot damashii?
I've hit a weird bump recently. I've been saving up for a trip to Japan, which I was planning to go this coming May, but I also feel like I shouldn't go. I'm going to art school next year and I think having that money would be good in case I can't find a job immediately after moving. Also I'll probably need to pay a down-payment on my apartment and just all kinds of other stupid expenses and I don't want to take out a private loan. It doesn't help that my school is requiring me to buy a $3000+ computer, which is going to eat up the majority of my other savings.

I want to go to Japan and scout the place out a bit since I'm planning to move there in just a few short years, but I feel like I need the money for school. I think using it for school would be the more mature option, but damn, I want to go. I just don't know what to do at this point... Like, school is important, but so is visiting a country before you move there.
There will be time to visit in the future. Sounds like you know what you need to do.
(Aug. 24, 2015  8:30 PM)Wizard Wrote: I've hit a weird bump recently. I've been saving up for a trip to Japan, which I was planning to go this coming May, but I also feel like I shouldn't go. I'm going to art school next year and I think having that money would be good in case I can't find a job immediately after moving. Also I'll probably need to pay a down-payment on my apartment and just all kinds of other stupid expenses and I don't want to take out a private loan. It doesn't help that my school is requiring me to buy a $3000+ computer, which is going to eat up the majority of my other savings.

I want to go to Japan and scout the place out a bit since I'm planning to move there in just a few short years, but I feel like I need the money for school. I think using it for school would be the more mature option, but damn, I want to go. I just don't know what to do at this point... Like, school is important, but so is visiting a country before you move there.

Go to Japan for a shorter period than what you were planning ?
(Aug. 24, 2015  8:33 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Go to Japan for a shorter period than what you were planning ?

The length of time wasn't the problem. I was originally planning for three months in rural Japan but cut it to two weeks in Tokyo since I'll have to look for an apartment and roommates in Pennsylvania over the summer. The cost was still the same.

(Aug. 24, 2015  8:33 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: There will be time to visit in the future. Sounds like you know what you need to do.

Yeah, it's just that I don't want to do what I need to do. Life sucks sometimes, ya know?
But I don't know about visiting in the future. Like, if I don't go before I get my degree than I'm just going to move without visiting first. Given the cost, it's probably justified.
Isn't moving to Japan pretty difficult? You will definitely want to visit first, man.
(Aug. 24, 2015  8:37 PM)Wizard Wrote:
(Aug. 24, 2015  8:33 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Go to Japan for a shorter period than what you were planning ?

The length of time wasn't the problem. I was originally planning for three months in rural Japan but cut it to two weeks in Tokyo since I'll have to look for an apartment and roommates in Pennsylvania over the summer. The cost was still the same.

(Aug. 24, 2015  8:33 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: There will be time to visit in the future. Sounds like you know what you need to do.

Yeah, it's just that I don't want to do what I need to do. Life sucks sometimes, ya know?
But I don't know about visiting in the future. Like, if I don't go before I get my degree than I'm just going to move without visiting first. Given the cost, it's probably justified.

I'm a big proponent of traveling and moving. I've done my fair share even when it wasn't the most ideal situation. One example being was backpacking through Europe after I graduated college. In hindsight it probably hindered my ability to get a job right out of school because I put it off for a few months. Things worked out, but I was very fortunate and had the financial support of my family.

I'd probably say don't try and force it in with everything you have to do right now. However no one really knows your current situation as well as you do.

Having also been to Japan (a while ago 2007) and knowing friends who have moved to countries like South Korea etc without visiting prior, I'd be weary of jumping in without visiting. Know that you really need employment prior to going. Understand the work culture of Japan and its differences compared to the West. It's not suited to everyone and the culture shock can really be off putting for some. I love the culture of Japan as a visitor and outsider, however I don't know if I would thrive in their very rigid lifestyle/work culture (just an example). Everyone can adapt, but make sure to consider it, because I feel not everyone really thinks that part through.

I moved from Canada to the US a few years ago (countries with far more similarities than differences), and even then there are cultural differences you need to adapt to.

If you do get the appropriate visas and go ahead with moving without securing employment: you're going to need a decent amount of cash in the bank to make it happen; and after all is said and done you might come back in a fiscally worse position that if you hadn't gone.

At the end of the day you need to do what you feel is right. Moving countries isn't easy, and doesn't always work out. It can be very rewarding, if done correctly

Whatever you choose to go with, I wish you the best of luck.
(Aug. 24, 2015  9:31 PM)Khel Wrote: If you do get the appropriate visas and go ahead with moving without securing employment: you're going to need a decent amount of cash in the bank to make it happen; and after all is said and done you might come back in a fiscally worse position that if you hadn't gone.

Thanks, this was all great advice. I have a lot to think about in the coming months. But I would definitely not move abroad without first securing a job, I'd be worried of the possibilities that could happen in that situation.
Can someone explain to me what the whole 'ayy' thing is?
(Aug. 26, 2015  4:31 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: Google is your friend.

Typically when someone asks something to a community, it's not because they can't find the answer themselves, but they are interested in the community's perspective or simply want to participate. Wink
I am absolutely screwed at school tomorrow. 1st thing I got a Pre Calc test followed by an English test about some book, Fahrenheit 451 (super confusing) and then later I have an AP World Test and a Theatere Performance thing which I am not excited for... The day will take forever to go by and I won't be able to be on the WBO besides during Study Hall ;(.
Fahrenheit 451 is an excellent book. I read it my Freshman year! I must say though, the ending is quite far-out and aberrant.

The whole novel is fairly abrupt in all honesty. I've read some very 'far from left-field' books too...
Yah, I enjoyed Fahrenheit 451. Read in in 8th grade and junior year.

Speaking of reading, we had to read My Ántonia for summer reading, and I have to say, I loved it. I'm not someone who enjoys reading, but this book got to me. It's probably my favourite book of all time. Most of my classmates and even my teacher hate it, but I think it's because it's a very nostalgic, sentimental book and I'm a very nostalgic, sentimental person as evidenced by the quote in my signature.
Nostalgia affects my life a riduclous amount as well haha.

I'm reading The Scarlet Letter at the moment. I never realized how interested I was in the Puritan era until I started it. I'm nearly finished and I'm writing a paper on it next week. That 19th century writing style I absolutely love <3. Thou does not know the pang of reading the ol' english for 300 pages until thou has read this novel.

The books awkwardly uses the word bosom very repitively...
Oh, I didn't really like the Scarlet Letter. Maybe it was because of the ridiculous tests our teacher gave us ("all of the answers are correct, you just have to find the one that's the most correct"), but it wasn't my cup of tea. Actually, it probably was because of the teaching. All of the books I've read in school that I enjoy were ones I read on my own for summer reading.
I loved the two Robert Swindler books, "Abomination" and I forgot the other one, they were engaging reads, however both have one fatal flaw, the endings were disappointing as all hell, apparently, Robert usually has them in his books.

I also loved the book "Nemesis, the Beast Within".
(Sep. 04, 2015  4:38 AM)Dual Wrote: Speaking of reading, we had to read My Ántonia for summer reading, and I have to say, I loved it. I'm not someone who enjoys reading, but this book got to me. It's probably my favourite book of all time. Most of my classmates and even my teacher hate it, but I think it's because it's a very nostalgic, sentimental book and I'm a very nostalgic, sentimental person as evidenced by the quote in my signature.

Ah, I had to read that book the summer going into my senior year and disliked it immensely lol
Then again, I've never really enjoyed books based on frontier life; I was the only one among my friends who hated Little House on the Prairie growing up. I read The Scarlet Letter in English my junior year and wasn't a huge fan of that either. Farenheit 451 was good though, from what I remember.

(Kinda) on the topic of books, has anyone heard about the upcoming Goosebumps movie? Seeing as I read every single book in the original series when I was 8, I was pretty psyched when I first heard about it...then I watched the trailer Speechless