Banning Drift in competitive play?

I strongly believe that drift doesn’t need to be banned. Drift, while can be very powerful, and can win anything, it doesn’t win against everything. I am aware that recently drift has been worryingly been able to win same spin matchups. With DB beys having low mode calm drift’s erratic behaviour, it seems as if there aren’t any direct counters with it now dominating same and opposite spin, right? Well no actually

Drift while generally overall having some of if not arguably the best LAD in the game, it still ties with and looses to a lot of opposite spin matchups quite regularly. I in fact in the most recent Toronto tournament was able to win 3-0 against a devil F gear on giga Drift with Astral on over bearing. Of course, drift still can win most of its opposite spin matchups, so it’s still definitely top tier in that respect, but it still definitely goes neck and neck with all the other top LAD driver like Zn’+Z, Awakened Rise and Bearing.

But we still have the issue of same spin right? Well, most of the same spin matches shown in testings to prove this point I’ve noticed are against Tempest on Xtend+. Both parts that while still viable, are massively loosing their viability. Tempest loosing in same spin to dynamite f gear with the additional ease that is destabilizing Xt+, and the calm nature of Tempest on Xtend+, it’s not surprising that Dynamite F gear on Drift can win same spin. The issue with this is we’re immediately counting out more aggressive LAD drivers like awakened rise in matchups against drift in same spin. Rise forces Drift out of the centre by it’s high speed ridge riding and causing drift to loose massive amounts of spin because it’s not staying in the centre.

Additionally with the Savior blade preforming well as an attack type against both respective spins, drift is not the meta breaking driver a lot of people seem to believe. Sure it’s good and a ton of the top bladers are using it, but I believe too many people are saying it is broken and just using it instead of trying to counter it. It’s a feedback loop of people saying it’s broken, more people are using it and topping tournaments with it, thus the continuation of people seeing it’s good and more people continue to use it and…. You get the point. At one point I believed drift was broken, but with the standard meta evolving, new parts coming in, and the now vast amount of opposite spin LAD drivers that are just as viable as drift, I don’t really think a ban is necessary.

I hope that rant made any sense lol. I’m very inviting for constructive criticism if my writing doesn’t make any sense. I could literally go on for hours about this but I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:17 AM)GenesisBlader Wrote: well IMO drift shouldn't be banned. drift being quote on quote "unbeatable or overpowered" just makes the matches more fun as you can looks for combos that can counter drit (combos) IMO.

The problem with this is that then you've got combos made specifically for beating Drift that perform poorly against anything else. It's like with Pokemon types, Electric types are strong against multiple types but only have one weakness, and Dragon types are strong against one type but have multiple weaknesses.

Forcing people to rely on Drift counters won't work, as those counters will most likely lose to anything that isn't Drift, while Drift crushes anything that isn't a specific counter.
It's hard to explain in text, but... it's like a very lopsided game of rock-paper-scissors, where one option is objectively safer and more consistent to use than anything else.

You put it as best as I could with a good example. Which might turn right back around to a format issue too. In preliminaries if you are up against Drift, I hope you picked one of the few counters.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:48 AM)henwooja1 Wrote: I strongly believe that drift doesn’t need to be banned. Drift, while can be very powerful, and can win anything, it doesn’t win against everything. I am aware that recently drift has been worryingly been able to win same spin matchups. With DB beys having low mode calm drift’s erratic behaviour, it seems as if there aren’t any direct counters with it now dominating same and opposite spin, right? Well no actually

Drift while generally overall having some of if not arguably the best LAD in the game, it still ties with and looses to a lot of opposite spin matchups quite regularly. I in fact in the most recent Toronto tournament was able to win 3-0 against a devil F gear on giga Drift with Astral on over bearing. Of course, drift still can win most of its opposite spin matchups, so it’s still definitely top tier in that respect, but it still definitely goes neck and neck with all the other top LAD driver like Zn’+Z, Awakened Rise and Bearing.

But we still have the issue of same spin right? Well, most of the same spin matches shown in testings to prove this point I’ve noticed are against Tempest on Xtend+. Both parts that while still viable, are massively loosing their viability. Tempest loosing in same spin to dynamite f gear with the additional ease that is destabilizing Xt+, and the calm nature of Tempest on Xtend+, it’s not surprising that Dynamite F gear on Drift can win same spin. The issue with this is we’re immediately counting out more aggressive LAD drivers like awakened rise in matchups against drift in same spin. Rise forces Drift out of the centre by it’s high speed ridge riding and causing drift to loose massive amounts of spin because it’s not staying in the centre.

Additionally with the Savior blade preforming well as an attack type against both respective spins, drift is not the meta breaking driver a lot of people seem to believe. Sure it’s good and a ton of the top bladers are using it, but I believe too many people are saying it is broken and just using it instead of trying to counter it. It’s a feedback loop of people saying it’s broken, more people are using it and topping tournaments with it, thus the continuation of people seeing it’s good and more people continue to use it and…. You get the point. At one point I believed drift was broken, but with the standard meta evolving, new parts coming in, and the now vast amount of opposite spin LAD drivers that are just as viable as drift, I don’t really think a ban is necessary.

I hope that rant made any sense lol. I’m very inviting for constructive criticism if my writing doesn’t make any sense

Good points! Suppose this is something just to look into via testing and tournaments, guess that just means more testings to find ways to combat it
(Aug. 22, 2021  11:55 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 22, 2021  11:51 PM)EpicFUSiON76 Wrote: Just don't ban drift that's all I'm gonna say. It's easy for new players to get (Lucifer the end) and could help them get started.

While that’s true, newer players shouldn’t start off with an OP part, rather they should progress their parts and their blading skills as they get higher. If they already start with a Top Tier part, it’s a bad experience for them.

Story of my life
It looks like this topic is becoming a bit divisive and things are getting a little bit heated. Let’s all calm down a bit. I posted a different kind of solution here:

https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Drift-B...pid1791007

It certainly could be a dumb idea of mine, but the point is to find ways to reach a compromise. If we can continue to discuss things calmly, I think it will be easier to reach a compromise that people can agree on.
(Aug. 23, 2021  1:31 AM)Shindog Wrote: It looks like this topic is becoming a bit divisive and things are getting a little bit heated.  Let’s all calm down a bit.  I posted a different kind of solution here:

It certainly could be a dumb idea of mine, but the point is to find ways to reach a compromise.  If we can continue to  discuss things calmly, I think it will be easier to reach a compromise that people can agree on.

hmm, ok. sorry for all the trouble caused by myself.
(Aug. 23, 2021  1:31 AM)Shindog Wrote: It looks like this topic is becoming a bit divisive and things are getting a little bit heated.  Let’s all calm down a bit.  I posted a different kind of solution here:

It certainly could be a dumb idea of mine, but the point is to find ways to reach a compromise.  If we can continue to  discuss things calmly, I think it will be easier to reach a compromise that people can agree on.

Yay! It’s my thread lol
(Aug. 23, 2021  1:03 AM)GenesisBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote: The problem with this is that then you've got combos made specifically for beating Drift that perform poorly against anything else. It's like with Pokemon types, Electric types are strong against multiple types but only have one weakness, and Dragon types are strong against one type but have multiple weaknesses.

Forcing people to rely on Drift counters won't work, as those counters will most likely lose to anything that isn't Drift, while Drift crushes anything that isn't a specific counter.
It's hard to explain in text, but... it's like a very lopsided game of rock-paper-scissors, where one option is objectively safer and more consistent to use than anything else.
im not forcing anyone to rely on drift counters first of all, so you can shut that salty mouth of yours. second, i said its fun. there, now you run along with all your little toxic friends

i really dislike how you go from thread to thread and critisize people for the dumbest reasons of all. you should stop and find something else to do rather than all this.
anyway, i do indeed think that drift shouldn't be banned. BladerGem, as a conclusion, just because people have an opinion doesn't mean you should critisize them on it. just go somewhere else and do that.

anyways (again), drift is powerful, but not unbeatable
notice how i said "as you can look(s) for combos that can counter drift" not "oh you need to find a counter for drift or ur bad"
This was uncalled for. I personally are very angry that you said this. BladerGem tried to give a counter opinion and you respond by calling them toxic and Critical about everything. He made a perfectly polite post that countered your argument and you replied by essentially insulting them as a person. Everyone has different ways to contribute here, and finding flaws is one of those ways. I don't want to get into an argument about this, but please think about how much your actions hurt. How would you feel if you were accused (Correctly or incorrectly) of being toxic. Insulting people never helps. I know you have good intentions here and intend to stick around, so please be more polite.
(Aug. 23, 2021  3:05 AM)USN Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  1:03 AM)GenesisBlader Wrote: im not forcing anyone to rely on drift counters first of all, so you can shut that salty mouth of yours. second, i said its fun. there, now you run along with all your little toxic friends

i really dislike how you go from thread to thread and critisize people for the dumbest reasons of all. you should stop and find something else to do rather than all this.
anyway, i do indeed think that drift shouldn't be banned. BladerGem, as a conclusion, just because people have an opinion doesn't mean you should critisize them on it. just go somewhere else and do that.

anyways (again), drift is powerful, but not unbeatable
notice how i said "as you can look(s) for combos that can counter drift" not "oh you need to find a counter for drift or ur bad"
This was uncalled for. I personally are very angry that you said this. BladerGem tried to give a counter opinion and you respond by calling them toxic and Critical about everything. He made a perfectly polite post that countered your argument and you replied by essentially insulting them as a person. Everyone has different ways to contribute here, and finding flaws is one of those ways. I don't want to get into an argument about this, but please think about how much your actions hurt. How would you feel if you were accused (Correctly or incorrectly) of being toxic. Insulting people never helps. I know you have good intentions here and intend to stick around, so please be more polite.
wait wait wait i didnt mean anything bad by it. i just have a very distorted way of telling him my point.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:49 AM)KainHighwind Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote: The problem with this is that then you've got combos made specifically for beating Drift that perform poorly against anything else. It's like with Pokemon types, Electric types are strong against multiple types but only have one weakness, and Dragon types are strong against one type but have multiple weaknesses.

You put it as best as I could with a good example. Which might turn right back around to a format issue too. In preliminaries if you are up against Drift, I hope you picked one of the few counters.

Hello old friend - nice to see you here.

In terms of drift I mostly agree with henwooja. It's good, yes, and it's kind of boring and annoying to judge (so are all the LAD setups), but it's far from the level that previously banned parts have been.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:17 AM)GenesisBlader Wrote: well IMO drift shouldn't be banned. drift being quote on quote "unbeatable or overpowered" just makes the matches more fun as you can looks for combos that can counter drit (combos) IMO.

The problem with this is that then you've got combos made specifically for beating Drift that perform poorly against anything else. It's like with Pokemon types, Electric types are strong against multiple types but only have one weakness, and Dragon types are strong against one type but have multiple weaknesses.

(Aug. 23, 2021  3:29 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:49 AM)KainHighwind Wrote: You put it as best as I could with a good example. Which might turn right back around to a format issue too. In preliminaries if you are up against Drift, I hope you picked one of the few counters.

Hello old friend - nice to see you here.

In terms of drift I mostly agree with henwooja. It's good, yes, and it's kind of boring and annoying to judge (so are all the LAD setups), but it's far from the level that previously banned parts have been.

Hey man! Its been a long while! Good to see that you are still around too!

And yeah...as I said earlier, my opinion is strictly from a solo testing standpoint with zero actual tournament experience. But the more I see/read it does seem the format is people's issue more than Drift itself.