Banning Drift in competitive play?

Ok, this is legitimately a question and from the events I’ve been to it’s been talked about but I’m not sure if the forum discussion has come up yet. If so my apologies.

But what are y’all’s views on Drift? Honestly I really wanted it banned at one point. In all honesty it is a big part of the meta if not the meta in it’s entirety when it comes to burst standard. I say this because opposite spin combos hit heavy in single phase and most, not all, but most off the competitive thought process is “will my opponent have drift or not”. Many players have drift combo counters but they are risky to use if your opponent doesn’t have drift so that’s a gamble also haha. And heaven forbid a drift mirror match up that can turn a 2 min match into 10 or 15 minutes of draws.

That’s the negative side on drift that I have but on a positive note, and why I am considering not being on the side of banning it, is because of what I have seen it do with same spin. 

I have witnessed some extremely talented players bring combos to life/perfection just with the skill, time and effort they put into it. In the recent Florida Summer Games Arka.Paul (sorry idk how to tag him) had an amazing right spin drift combo that was nearly unbeatable. It wasn’t because drift is OP but because he just worked hard and perfected his skill. I’ve seen Cscramon do the same thing and run through and win a whole tournament with Master Fafnir (I think it was Fafnir) on Drift, while other players may not be able to. Also, froztz has an amazing tempest combo, not on drift, but it’s the best I’ve witnessed and that takes me back to the skill certain players have with certain parts that make those “how did he win with that” moments. Some players with certain combos or parts (like drift) can outperform their opponents almost everytime even if their opponent uses  the exact same combo.

It’s a tough decision but I wanted to get some thoughts on how y’all feel about Drift overall. It’s a tough decision to ban anything. Is it worth even considering banning though?
Alright, let’s have a nice sit down and talk about what is being discussed in this form.

First let’s talk about the Drift Driver and opposite spin matches. There is no doubt in my mind that this driver right now is the king of opposite spin LAD matches. I have seen players go into tournaments using for the most part just 1 rotation changing combo and go 5-0. That’s a pretty good day if you ask me.

Now let’s continue with the opposite side of the coin. The Drift Driver and same spin matches. When you get into Same spin matches the drift driver falls way down the list of good drivers to use. In a same spin match up you have to launch harder than in an opposite spin match up because if you launch weaker than your opponent, you’ll probably run out of stamina first. However, with the Drift Driver, when you do this launch method you gain a really high risk of self KOing your Beyblade. I have seen people go 2-3 at a tournament because of this, and it cost them a spot in the top cut.

Now I would like to add in my own testing with the new Dynamite Battle system that recently came out. I have found that when using the Dynamite Battle Beys in low mode and on Drift you can launch a lot harder than you normally would and they will stay in the center of the stadium and lose that risk of self KOing themselves. (Unless they get hit to the tornado ridge by another bey and they get caught on it.) But for the most part the new beys solve the same spin issue Drift has had. However, through testing I have found that even though you can now launch drift harder and have less of a risk to self KO your bey, the Drift Driver still has less stamina than most other drivers such as Xtend+, Zone’+Z, Universe, and probably more.

Now lastly let’s talk about the REAL issue with the Drift Driver, The Single Bey format. Yes the standard format that we in the WBO use for Swiss matches is the real issue at hand. Yes someone can go into a tournament with 1 rotation changing drift combo and go 5-0 or 0-5. However this will all boil down to the luck factor of what did they play against? Same spin or opposite spin? And that to me is not a very fun format for the game. I would much rather see players be rewarded with wins because of their skill at the game rather than did they get a lucky match up? Another big issue with this is when you get 2 bladers that are both using opposite spin drift combos. Then because of drift you can have consistent draws for up to 15 minutes until a winner is declared. (We had 2 matches happen this way at our last tournament.) This can have a huge issue with the time of the tournament and how long it takes to complete.

Should Drift be banned even with the Dynamite Battle system beys “solving” its flaw? No. I don’t think so. I think a new format for the Swiss rounds of tournaments should be introduced. Maybe a 2 deck 3 point format or a Choose 3 Pick 1 format? I dunno what the proper answer would be, I just know that at least then the more skilled players should win and that would feel more rewarding to those skilled players. I also know that you could then potentially add in a rule where if both players choose an opposite spin drift match up, after say 3 draws you force them to switch to one of their other beys that they had chosen or is in their deck.

Anyway, that is my view and opinion on the Drift Driver and weather or not I think it should be banned.
There's really no reason to ban a part that is reasonably beatable. I've heard from some that Mobius if worn properly can defeat it, and there's always same spin options to defeat it that way too. Does this really seem super unfair? To me, the answer is no.

That's aside from the fact that Beyblade is largely based around customization, and finding clever ways to defeat more common parts like Drift and predict their opponents better are baseline parts of the game. I don't see any reason for Drift in particular to be the turning point where suddenly this isn't good enough anymore, or see any reason to strip this aspect out of the game when the part is still fair.

No, Drift is just the next Judgement: a powerful and spammable part that people will complain about just because its strong and spammable, not because it's actually broken. There's always one part like that out there, and I see no use in chasing after the part of the moment when it'll eventually turn into discussions about banning something else later down the road when that other part is found to be "too spammable" too.
Thank you CrisisCrusher07 you have some legit points. I can go either way but I think I feel like it shouldn’t be banned at this point. I have made the post concerning single Bey format in Swiss and I agree that with all the events I’ve been to recently the luck and mirror drift matchups can be quite frustrating.

MagikHorse I like your viewpoints. You’re right. There is always a spammable part. Tempest was looked at at being overpowered or just extremely great in the meta also, but those challenges do help us to become more creative and better bladers. New parts release as well like you said and they shake up the game which makes this sport so entertaining
This has been a discussion a lot recently...imo Drift shouldn't be banned its 50/50 in first stage and easy to beat in finals if you even think there's a possibility your opponent will use it. Tempest is easy to beat as well.
there are many drift counters that work in same and opposite spin so there is no real reason to ban it. really its a minor inconvioence
Banning drift is an interesting conversation considering DB beys making drift not only easier to control, but also on certain combos helps with same spin if you launch the combo correctly. I’ve found that Dynamite Valkyrie F Gear Giga Drift-2 is able to outspin (MCC) Tempest Solomon Wheel Xtend+ (Stamina Mode) if you give the drift combo a tilted launch and launch moderately-normally. It also does this decently consistently, although it doesn’t do it every time of course. Honestly, I’m on the fence with drift, but maybe combos involving Dynamite F Gear on drift (Low mode) could be considered for a possible ban. I’d be glad to try and do some testing for a possible ban on that if it does end up being too OP.
I don’t think drift needs to be banned. I have been testing combos for hours to beat Arka.Paul’s Dynamite on drift combo that has become more and more popular and can beat same spin Xtend+. But all combos can be beat by something. No combo is invincible, you just need a little testing.
Lemmie just quote one of my old posts

(May. 29, 2021  3:09 AM)Orbit Wrote: I think that currently there is an interesting dynamic between zone+z and drift, where Zone+z has one of the highest Overall Stamina/Lad, while Drift has the superior opposite spin Lad. Zone +z is the second best in Opposite spin Lad and very good same spin Stamina. Drift has ok same spin stamina but has the best opposite spin Lad. This way you have to chose between reliability in both same and opposite spin or top tier Lad with the drawback of being less reliable depending on the spin directions. If we say, took away drift, then Zone + z would dominate the meta (more than it already is). I could see a world where both are banned, since it would make things more interesting and give other drivers, like kick and never, a chance to shine.

I’m also kind interested in the possibility of Zone +x if Zone + Z were to be banned, even without the free spin ring, it could still be good. Xtend Plus has no reason to be good yet 3 years later it’s still in the top cut of lad drivers (I know this is kind off topic, but it relates to my previous message which wasn’t)
(Aug. 02, 2021  5:00 PM)LJ-Blader Wrote: I don’t think drift needs to be banned. I have been testing combos for hours to beat Arka.Paul’s Dynamite on drift combo that has become more and more popular and can beat same spin Xtend+. But all combos can be beat by something. No combo is invincible, you just need a little testing.

I think it's less of an issue of a certain combo being "invincible", and more of an issue of "this combo can only be beaten by this other, extremely specialized combo that has very little success against anything that isn't the combo it was designed to beat". Beyblade is about versatility, and being able to go toe-to-toe with as many other matchups as possible in order to have the highest chances of success. If a drift combo can only be beaten by one very specialized combo, but that specialized combo loses to anything that isn't on drift, then it's too risky to use it.
Simple answer, no. Drift is the best spin steal driver alive sure. With tons of weight, attack potential, and defense? Sure. But is it good in same spin? No. What is the chance that you will run into a same spin combo when you have drift? 50/50 at worst. Sure dynamite f gear giga-6 or 10 makes drift have good stamina combined with good spin steal. There are still ways to beat it! Every heard of a k.o? Or a burst if you have the skill with an xtreme’ combo? That’s what makes tournaments challenging. I mean I haven’t even been to one, though I am super hyped cause I’m going to one on august 7th, I’ve been testing combos and battling too. And every year there is parts that are claimed to be “invincible”. Xtend+ lad lord we’re mvps last year, look at how lord has been replaced and Xtend+ has been semi-outclassed in opposite spin this year? Sure this years mvps are rage and drift along with wheel and tempest. And look at that! Wheel is already starting to become outclassed by giga and tapered! And rage is still a beast, but is it as powerful as it was against the newly released roar and vanish blades? Boom. There’s your answer. No.
(Aug. 02, 2021  7:20 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Simple answer, no. Drift is the best spin steal driver alive sure. With tons of weight, attack potential, and defense? Sure. But is it good in same spin? No. What is the chance that you will run into a same spin combo when you have drift? 50/50 at worst. Sure dynamite f gear giga-6 or 10 makes drift have good stamina combined with good spin steal. There are still ways to beat it! Every heard of a k.o? Or a burst if you have the skill with an xtreme’ combo? That’s what makes tournaments challenging. I mean I haven’t even been to one, though I am super hyped cause I’m going to one on august 7th, I’ve been testing combos and battling too. And every year there is parts that are claimed to be “invincible”. Xtend+ lad lord we’re mvps last year, look at how lord has been replaced and Xtend+ has been semi-outclassed in opposite spin this year? Sure this years mvps are rage and drift along with wheel and tempest. And look at that! Wheel is already starting to become outclassed by giga and tapered! And rage is still a beast, but is it as powerful as it was against the newly released roar and vanish blades? Boom. There’s your answer. No.

So, what you're saying is... just wait until TT releases something that outshines Drift? Uncertain
I would like to weigh in on Drift in same spin for a moment. I am still unsure whether or not it should be banned, however I have heavily changed my tune on thinking it is bad in same spin after a few tournaments.

I have watched several bladers down here in Florida consistently beat Zn'+Z, Xt+, and even Atomic in same spin with Drift. And a lot of the time it is not even close. You can claim that perhaps that is just launching skill and blader's skill with a part is no reason to ban it of course.

But what bothers me about Drift the most is its inconsistency in the molds. I've seen some people launch Drift hard and it self KO's every time. I've seen others basically throw Drift into the stadium recklessly and it still sits in the center. You can test two Drifts together and so rarely do they perform the same.
(Jul. 01, 2021  12:06 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Alright, let’s have a nice sit down and talk about what is being discussed in this form.

First let’s talk about the Drift Driver and opposite spin matches. There is no doubt in my mind that this driver right now is the king of opposite spin LAD matches. I have seen players go into tournaments using for the most part just 1 rotation changing combo and go 5-0. That’s a pretty good day if you ask me.

Now let’s continue with the opposite side of the coin. The Drift Driver and same spin matches. When you get into Same spin matches the drift driver falls way down the list of good drivers to use. In a same spin match up you have to launch harder than in an opposite spin match up because if you launch weaker than your opponent, you’ll probably run out of stamina first. However, with the Drift Driver, when you do this launch method you gain a really high risk of self KOing your Beyblade. I have seen people go 2-3 at a tournament because of this, and it cost them a spot in the top cut.

Now I would like to add in my own testing with the new Dynamite Battle system that recently came out. I have found that when using the Dynamite Battle Beys in low mode and on Drift you can launch a lot harder than you normally would and they will stay in the center of the stadium and lose that risk of self KOing themselves. (Unless they get hit to the tornado ridge by another bey and they get caught on it.) But for the most part the new beys solve the same spin issue Drift has had. However, through testing I have found that even though you can now launch drift harder and have less of a risk to self KO your bey, the Drift Driver still has less stamina than most other drivers such as Xtend+, Zone’+Z, Universe, and probably more.

Now lastly let’s talk about the REAL issue with the Drift Driver, The Single Bey format. Yes the standard format that we in the WBO use for Swiss matches is the real issue at hand. Yes someone can go into a tournament with 1 rotation changing drift combo and go 5-0 or 0-5. However this will all boil down to the luck factor of what did they play against? Same spin or opposite spin? And that to me is not a very fun format for the game. I would much rather see players be rewarded with wins because of their skill at the game rather than did they get a lucky match up? Another big issue with this is when you get 2 bladers that are both using opposite spin drift combos. Then because of drift you can have consistent draws for up to 15 minutes until a winner is declared. (We had 2 matches happen this way at our last tournament.) This can have a huge issue with the time of the tournament and how long it takes to complete.

Should Drift be banned even with the Dynamite Battle system beys “solving” its flaw? No. I don’t think so. I think a new format for the Swiss rounds of tournaments should be introduced. Maybe a 2 deck 3 point format or a Choose 3 Pick 1 format? I dunno what the proper answer would be, I just know that at least then the more skilled players should win and that would feel more rewarding to those skilled players. I also know that you could then potentially add in a rule where if both players choose an opposite spin drift match up, after say 3 draws you force them to switch to one of their other beys that they had chosen or is in their deck.

Anyway, that is my view and opinion on the Drift Driver and weather or not I think it should be banned.
Basically this.  I am incapable of saying this better myself, so I won’t say it again.  The better, longer lasting solution is a format change in my opinion.
(Aug. 02, 2021  7:20 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Simple answer, no. Drift is the best spin steal driver alive sure. With tons of weight, attack potential, and defense? Sure. But is it good in same spin? No. What is the chance that you will run into a same spin combo when you have drift? 50/50 at worst. Sure dynamite f gear giga-6 or 10 makes drift have good stamina combined with good spin steal. There are still ways to beat it! Every heard of a k.o? Or a burst if you have the skill with an xtreme’ combo? That’s what makes tournaments challenging. I mean I haven’t even been to one, though I am super hyped cause I’m going to one on august 7th, I’ve been testing combos and battling too. And every year there is parts that are claimed to be “invincible”. Xtend+ lad lord we’re mvps last year, look at how lord has been replaced and Xtend+ has been semi-outclassed in opposite spin this year? Sure this years mvps are rage and drift along with wheel and tempest. And look at that! Wheel is already starting to become outclassed by giga and tapered! And rage is still a beast, but is it as powerful as it was against the newly released roar and vanish blades? Boom. There’s your answer. No.

You have some legit points, but with same spin I have seen a player beat another top players full deck with a single drift combo. Arka has done a lot of amazing things with drift that I now feel like drift should not be banned because of its potential in same spin. I say this because the same spin aspect is 100% skill in my opinion unlike the cookie cutter opposite spin combos. The dedication and skill for same spin makes the drift combos legit for competitive use.
I think that Drift and Zone+Z should both be banned, they are both OP. If drift is banned then Zone will be the only thing used in the meta. If both are banned, the meta will be overtaken by 3 or 4 drivers that are relatively equal in LAD, Bearing, Xtend+, Never, and Possibly Venture+V (more testing needed). That sounds like a fun meta to be in.

When it comes to LAD the meta has become stale, there is no variety, and if you can achieve variety by banning Drift and Zone+Z, I say it should happen
(Aug. 02, 2021  9:28 PM)Orbit Wrote: I think that Drift and Zone+Z should both be banned, they are both OP. If drift is banned then Zone will be the only thing used in the meta. If both are banned, the meta will be overtaken by 3 or 4 drivers that are relatively equal in LAD, Bearing, Xtend+, Never, and Possibly Venture+V (more testing needed). That sounds like a fun meta to be in.

When it comes to LAD the meta has become stale, there is no variety, and if you can achieve variety by banning Drift and Zone+Z, I say it should happen

I mean that's like saying Dynamite Belial and Rage Longinus should be banned becuase they're both OP I think just because a driver has life after death it shouldn't be banned becuase get enough good hits in and Zone+Z and Drifit will go down to the ground, I think parts should only be banned if there is a very rare chance of beating them, and I'd say both Drift and Zone+Z are fairly beatable just put together a hard-hitting combo, for example, something like Rage Helios2 3A Extreme' then you'll have a high chance of beating them, overall I think Zone+Z and Drift shouldn't be banned.
(Aug. 02, 2021  9:48 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote:
(Aug. 02, 2021  9:28 PM)Orbit Wrote: I think that Drift and Zone+Z should both be banned, they are both OP. If drift is banned then Zone will be the only thing used in the meta. If both are banned, the meta will be overtaken by 3 or 4 drivers that are relatively equal in LAD, Bearing, Xtend+, Never, and Possibly Venture+V (more testing needed). That sounds like a fun meta to be in.

I mean that's like saying Dynamite Belial and Rage Longinus should be banned becuase they're both OP I think just because a driver has life after death it shouldn't be banned becuase get enough good hits in and Zone+Z and Drifit will go down to the ground, I think parts should only be banned if there is a very rare chance of beating them, and I'd say both Drift and Zone+Z are fairly beatable just put together a hard-hitting combo, for example, something like Rage Helios2 3A Extreme' then you'll have a high chance of beating them, overall I think Zone+Z and Drift shouldn't be banned.

Fair enough
(Aug. 02, 2021  8:27 PM)BladerGem Wrote:

So, what you're saying is... just wait until TT releases something that outshines Drift? Uncertain

Well, no, that will happen when it happens. I’m saying that it will happen eventually, and until it does people have to be creative, or since they think drift is is good, just use drift to counter the opponents drift lol.

(Aug. 02, 2021  9:27 PM)StayCool Wrote:

You have some legit points, but with same spin I have seen a player beat another top players full deck with a single drift combo. Arka has done a lot of amazing things with drift that I now feel like drift should not be banned because of its potential in same spin. I say this because the same spin aspect is 100% skill in my opinion unlike the cookie cutter opposite spin combos. The dedication and skill for same spin makes the drift combos legit for competitive use.
True, if you don’t launch it right, it will go crazy as normal, thus a bladers skill plays a part.
So I was thinking recently and lets say the WBO decides that the single bey format is best and contimues to stick with it. This can make drift a really annoying driver to deal with. Especially as a judge if you get stuck watching 2 drifts go at it in opposite spin match ups. This also make the tournament take longer as those matches could last up to 15 minutes or more! But what if you semi banned drift? What if you only had it banned for single bey formats? This is a worst case scinaro idea I had. Drift is not a big problem when it comes to WBO deck format. But it's only been a nucense in the single bey format.

Anyway this was just a side thought I had and wanted to see what people thought of it.
(Aug. 03, 2021  3:46 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: So I was thinking recently and lets say the WBO decides that the single bey format is best and contimues to stick with it. This can make drift a really annoying driver to deal with. Especially as a judge if you get stuck watching 2 drifts go at it in opposite spin match ups. This also make the tournament take longer as those matches could last up to 15 minutes or more! But what if you semi banned drift? What if you only had it banned for single bey formats? This is a worst case scinaro idea I had. Drift is not a big problem when it comes to WBO deck format. But it's only been a nucense in the single bey format.

Anyway this was just a side thought I had and wanted to see what people thought of it.
I think the issue with that is that other drivers will just do the same.  Recently, taper.Br has gotten a lot of attention, not long ago, Xt+….. so on a so forth.  Long, drawn out, opposite spin matches are nothing new to me personally.  I have had 40 min+ matches to judge.  I don’t realistically think we can ban enough.  Also, banning these individual drivers will make the rulebook look pretty bad in my opinion.  Burst seems to be the generation of the LAD.  I think at this point, it is what it is.  I still think the way to get around the problem is to fix the format.  I think the best way to deal
with this is still a deck format, WBO deck or WBBA 3v3.
(Aug. 03, 2021  4:12 PM)Shindog Wrote: I think the issue with that is that other drivers will just do the same.  Recently, taper.Br has gotten a lot of attention, not long ago, Xt+….. so on a so forth.  Long, drawn out, opposite spin matches are nothing new to me personally.  I have had 40 min+ matches to judge.  I don’t realistically think we can ban enough.  Also, banning these individual drivers will make the rulebook look pretty bad in my opinion.  Burst seems to be the generation of the LAD.  I think at this point, it is what it is.  I still think the way to get around the problem is to fix the format.  I think the best way to deal with this is still a deck format, WBO deck or WBBA 3v3.
That’s fair. I just had a thought. Personally I like the WBO deck format more. But I wouldn’t mind WBBA 3v3 over single bey.
I don't think drift needs to be banned. It can be hard to control sometimes and gets knocked out some what easily. I own 3 drift drivers and on 2 the bearings or pin it spins on breaks/ slows down. It could be dirt/debris in the bearing or damaged from battle. Overall not ban worthy imo. (hoping we get a metal tip drift one day lol)
With the current DB format, I think drift is becoming less and less viable. These new beys are heavy hitters and attacks on even spin stealers can throw drift into its wild, uncontrollable spins. Really I don’t think it’s a matter of getting rid of something we “can’t beat” but instead testing ways TO beat it.
(Aug. 21, 2021  2:05 PM)toastdkiwi Wrote: With the current DB format, I think drift is becoming less and less viable. These new beys are heavy hitters and attacks on even spin stealers can throw drift into its wild, uncontrollable spins. Really I don’t think it’s a matter of getting rid of something we “can’t beat” but instead testing ways TO beat it.
I’m sorry, but if anything, DB Beys are making drift more viable. I mean, have you seen how less often Drift goes to the ridge on DB combos in low mode? Plus, on certain combos, if you launch properly, you can get some decent same spin out of it. This is especially true with DB combos in low mode.