Banning Drift in competitive play?

Drift has become extremely viable because of how rare bursts are on Dynamite and Vanish. It has a weak spring, but on many DB chips that no longer matters. Even Bearing has made a resurgence. As wild as it is, it is not the sort of tip that causes your bey to instantly yeet itself into a pocket if you hit it.
(Aug. 21, 2021  2:45 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Drift has become extremely viable because of how rare bursts are on Dynamite and Vanish. It has a weak spring, but on many DB chips that no longer matters. Even Bearing has made a resurgence. As wild as it is, it is not the sort of tip that causes your bey to instantly yeet itself into a pocket if you hit it.

hmm, i like the usage of the word yeet in this sentence but yeah most combos i saw normally used bearing, drift, zone'+z, or xtend+
To be honest i wouldn’t be too mad if drift is banned. nowadays the only good combos involve drift
(Aug. 21, 2021  2:55 PM)AlexTheBlader Wrote: To be honest i wouldn’t be too mad if drift is banned. nowadays the only good combos involve drift

Not really. A lot of people do well without it
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:24 PM)JCE_13 Wrote:
(Aug. 21, 2021  2:55 PM)AlexTheBlader Wrote: To be honest i wouldn’t be too mad if drift is banned. nowadays the only good combos involve drift

Not really. A lot of people do well without it
every deck in top 4 has a drift in it atleast
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:25 PM)AlexTheBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:24 PM)JCE_13 Wrote: Not really. A lot of people do well without it
every deck in top 4 has a drift in it atleast

Welp, I can’t change that part.
Ok, drift. Why should we or why shouldn’t we ban it? Here’s why or why not

Drift- Best LAD driver in known existence. Used on many decks to cancel out 1 spin direction entirely (ex: limited Geist on drift pretty much cancels out any right Bey that you have to worry about) In standard, DB beys make the driver insanely good by producing downward force good enough to make drift best xtend+ in same spin. As well, drift has use on attack types like rage because of how low it sits and how agile it is. It also has some insane defense when light launched in the opposite spin. It has a weak spring, but usually doesn’t burst due to DB beys burst resistance, and the fact that it’s usually light-launched against opposite spin.

Now I know what you’re thinking. OH no! Drift is OP! Those are all reasons it should be banned! Nope. See, Idk even if it should be banned but hopefully, since I’ve already gone over the pros/positives when I now go over the cons/negatives I’ll have an idea, and you guys will too

As good as drift is of an equalizer, in classic the only bey you would use it on is the only left bey, dragoon I think it is. Idk what it’s called, but from what I do know it’s teeth is so bad, that you just hit it hard and it’ll burst. Also in classic, why not just use a painted disc and zone’ + z on dragoon? It’s a dash driver and a painted disc makes sliding harder. That’s 1 reason not to use drift at all in classic. In limited, there are no DB beys, and due to that fact, drift is not good in same spin. There are very few combos that can make drift take center and stamina it out, but the few combos that dp are just proof that the bladers either know what they’re doing, or straight up copied someone else, they usually compiled someone else if you’ve seen the combo before. Standard is THE ONLY FORMAT, just a repeat, THE ONLY FORMAT where drift might, or should be banned. In standard it has attack on rage, insane stamina with pretty much any DB beys and the heaven layer base, insane defense, and the best LAD out of any driver. Plus it doesn’t burst. So let’s just check limited and classic of the list of formats where drift should be banned, and have a nice little talk about why drift should or shouldn’t be banned in standard. Thankyou for your time and if you read this far. Leave a like on the post if you agree so more people can see.
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:43 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Ok, drift. Why should we or why shouldn’t we ban it? Here’s why or why not

Drift- Best LAD driver in known existence. Used on many decks to cancel out 1 spin direction entirely (ex: limited Geist on drift pretty much cancels out any right Bey that you have to worry about) In standard, DB beys make the driver insanely good by producing downward force good enough to make drift best xtend+ in same spin. As well, drift has use on attack types like rage because of how low it sits and how agile it is. It also has some insane defense when light launched in the opposite spin. It has a weak spring, but usually doesn’t burst due to DB beys burst resistance, and the fact that it’s usually light-launched against opposite spin.

Now I know what you’re thinking. OH no! Drift is OP! Those are all reasons it should be banned! Nope. See, Idk even if it should be banned but hopefully, since I’ve already gone over the pros/positives when I now go over the cons/negatives I’ll have an idea, and you guys will too

As good as drift is of an equalizer, in classic the only bey you would use it on is the only left bey, dragoon I think it is. Idk what it’s called, but from what I do know it’s teeth is so bad, that you just hit it hard and it’ll burst. Also in classic, why not just use a painted disc and zone’ + z on dragoon? It’s a dash driver and a painted disc makes sliding harder. That’s 1 reason not to use drift at all in classic. In limited, there are no DB beys, and due to that fact, drift is not good in same spin. There are very few combos that can make drift take center and stamina it out, but the few combos that dp are just proof that the bladers either know what they’re doing, or straight up copied someone else, they usually compiled someone else if you’ve seen the combo before. Standard is THE ONLY FORMAT, just a repeat, THE ONLY FORMAT where drift might, or should be banned. In standard it has attack on rage, insane stamina with pretty much any DB beys and the heaven layer base, insane defense, and the best LAD out of any driver. Plus it doesn’t burst. So let’s just check limited and classic of the list of formats where drift should be banned, and have a nice little talk about why drift should or shouldn’t be banned in standard. Thankyou for your time and if you read this far. Leave a like on the post if you agree so more people can see.
Call me crazy, but I have the opposite opinion. I think drift should be banned for limited and classic. The reason classic was even made, was to get away from all the LAD vs. LAD matches. In limited, drift feels like a standard situation. I would comfortably put in on many of my combos, just because I have confidence in it's LAD. Opponent using Fafnir? Put it on Achilles. You guessed wrong? Try to get a burst. It really opens up strategies, but there is a point where a parts usefulness goes too far. As for standard, I feel like with DB disks, it can be countered. If Drift goes, then Zone+Z goes, and so on and so on. That's just my opinion.
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:55 PM)USN Wrote:
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:43 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Ok, drift. Why should we or why shouldn’t we ban it? Here’s why or why not

Call me crazy, but I have the opposite opinion. I think drift should be banned for limited and classic. The reason classic was even made, was to get away from all the LAD vs. LAD matches. In limited, drift feels like a standard situation. I would comfortably put in on many of my combos, just because I have confidence in it's LAD. Opponent using Fafnir? Put it on Achilles. You guessed wrong? Try to get a burst. It really opens up strategies, but there is a point where a parts usefulness goes too far. As for standard, I feel like with DB disks, it can be countered. If Drift goes, then Zone+Z goes, and so on and so on. That's just my opinion.
Well, if drift is banned in classic, like I said, dragoon could still be used on zone’ +z. So if you want to get away from LAD, ban dragoon, then drift will be useless. 
For limited and standard idk really what to say but I guess people have different opinions.
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:57 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 21, 2021  3:55 PM)USN Wrote: Call me crazy, but I have the opposite opinion. I think drift should be banned for limited and classic. The reason classic was even made, was to get away from all the LAD vs. LAD matches. In limited, drift feels like a standard situation. I would comfortably put in on many of my combos, just because I have confidence in it's LAD. Opponent using Fafnir? Put it on Achilles. You guessed wrong? Try to get a burst. It really opens up strategies, but there is a point where a parts usefulness goes too far. As for standard, I feel like with DB disks, it can be countered. If Drift goes, then Zone+Z goes, and so on and so on. That's just my opinion.
Well, if drift is banned in classic, like I said, dragoon could still be used on zone’ +z. So if you want to get away from LAD, ban dragoon, then drift will be useless. 
For limited and standard idk really what to say but I guess people have different opinions.
dragoon on zone’+z sucks and dragoon sucks in general + drift wasn’t that big of an obstacle in classic compared to normal events.
I haven't been to tourneys but I feel that Drift shouldn't be banned because it is ranked high on the drivers tier list but it has flaws like every other driver.
It should stay unbanned (is that a word?) for at least a few more months (AT LEAST).
Also, it gives underdog combos a chance to win (like Xtend+)
I'm on the fence about this as well. I will throw the disclaimer out that I haven't been to any recent tournaments and probably won't get to go to one. But I greatly enjoy keeping up with the current meta, testing the newest releases and sharing my results. My thoughts are...

I was ok with Drift UNTIL it became good in same spin. The main weakness you could count on is now pretty much non existent. If you got matched up against opposite spin Drift (I get where format plays a part here) then there was a high probability you would lose. Now, even if you get matched up with same spin Drift, the opponent still has a decent shot at winning if they know what they are doing. And not to take anything away from Arka or anyone else that discovered this, but anyone that has payed attention to recent videos should be able to recreate the launch technique. There is still the risk of not getting the technique right or mold difference, but that with any part at all.

The point is, from what I see as a detailed, outside observer, is that you have a single driver that is king of opposite spin and now it is also consistently beating a lot of the best same spin drivers out there. So my logical side says that something needs to be done about that (i.e. ban it, soft ban it), but my lack of experience with actual tournaments side understands that I really dont know and could be missing something (i.e. zone' +Z fully taking over).
I don't think it should be banned I have a Mobius awakened that can beat drift same spin and opposite spin it tried both combos against each other
opposite spin
vanish Fafnir tapered drift vs drynamite+f tapered Mobius both on 3 armour
dynamite+f 9 outspins
Vanishfafnir 1 outspin
no ko happened in the 10 round
both were hard launched but stayed in the middle due to dynamite layers
so I don't think drift should be banned
same spin
vanish Fafnir tapered Mobius
vanish Fafnir tapered drift
vanish fafnir with mobius 6 outspins
vanish fafnir with drift 3 outspins 1 ko
(Aug. 22, 2021  5:10 PM)Beybladedb Wrote: I don't think it should be banned I have a Mobius awakened that can beat drift same spin and opposite spin it tried both combos against each other
opposite spin
dynamite+f 9 outspins
Vanishfafnir 1 outspin
same spin

Its awesome that you provided actually testing (which even I haven't done I'll admit), but unfortunately we would need a bunch more members to do the same to even hope to account for the mold variations that several people have brought up.
(Aug. 22, 2021  5:10 PM)Beybladedb Wrote: I don't think it should be banned I have a Mobius awakened that can beat drift same spin and opposite spin it tried both combos against each other
opposite spin
dynamite+f 9 outspins
Vanishfafnir 1 outspin
same spin
If this is true, then we need to take mobius and drift into account for possible ban.
After seeing 1234Beyblade in the recent tournament have Drift do very well same spin, I will stand by what I have been saying recently and say get out Drift for a "healthier" meta. With DB stuff having an increase in LAD more and more I became to dislike Drift with how both same spin and opp spin it can perform.  I don't know if I would say "ban" but a temp ban maybe? Idk but I remember most at the Toronto event agreed that the driver that Drift is getting a bit too much.
(Aug. 22, 2021  11:36 PM)originalzankye Wrote: After seeing 1234Beyblade in the recent tournament have Drift do very well same spin, I will stand by what I have been saying recently and say get out Drift for a "healthier" meta. With DB stuff having an increase in LAD more and more I became to dislike Drift with how both same spin and opp spin it can perform.  I don't know if I would say "ban" but a temp ban maybe? Idk but I remember most at the Toronto event agreed that the driver that Drift is getting a bit too much.

I agree, also with the temp ban, cause banning it forever would be bad. For example, Xtend+ was like the drift of it’s time in GT, but it wasn’t banned. Sure it was super powerful in both same and opposite spin as well as being versatile do to its 3 modes, which alter the height but now, only about 1 year later, Xtend+ is still powerful without a doubt but it’s not as OP as it used to be. This will, hopefully, happen with drift so banning it for the time being is a good decision.
opposite spin
dynamite+f 9 outspins
Vanishfafnir 1 outspin
same spin
Could you provide testing if you switch the drivers on the two beys?
Just don't ban drift that's all I'm gonna say. It's easy for new players to get (Lucifer the end) and could help them get started.
(Aug. 22, 2021  11:51 PM)EpicFUSiON76 Wrote: Just don't ban drift that's all I'm gonna say. It's easy for new players to get (Lucifer the end) and could help them get started.

While that’s true, newer players shouldn’t start off with an OP part, rather they should progress their parts and their blading skills as they get higher. If they already start with a Top Tier part, it’s a bad experience for them.
It’s a tough decision. 2 things I’ve heard up here and events are “drift can easily be countered” and “changing the format, from single Bey, can help too”. But drift is rarely beaten nowadays with DB low mode, even with players counters. And I’ve seen a single drift combo sweep their opponents entire deck. Some players perform better with drift than others, either the mold or skill using it but it is an OP driver to say the least. I’m still not for completely banning it. I really wanna do some more testing, hopefully at our next event if I can make it to finals and see lol.

The best bet may be to wait until that new “meta” driver arrives. I’m not too sure

Oh one more thing I’ll add, drift is great and Xtend+ also but there are a few new releases drivers that are GREAT but not many players use them. Moment for same spin and never for same and opposite, just wanted to mention that 😏
well IMO drift shouldn't be banned. drift being quote on quote "unbeatable or overpowered" just makes the matches more fun as you can looks for combos that can counter drit (combos) IMO.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:17 AM)GenesisBlader Wrote: well IMO drift shouldn't be banned. drift being quote on quote "unbeatable or overpowered" just makes the matches more fun as you can looks for combos that can counter drit (combos) IMO.

The problem with this is that then you've got combos made specifically for beating Drift that perform poorly against anything else. It's like with Pokemon types, Electric types are strong against multiple types but only have one weakness, and Dragon types are strong against one type but have multiple weaknesses.

Forcing people to rely on Drift counters won't work, as those counters will most likely lose to anything that isn't Drift, while Drift crushes anything that isn't a specific counter.
It's hard to explain in text, but... it's like a very lopsided game of rock-paper-scissors, where one option is objectively safer and more consistent to use than anything else.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:17 AM)GenesisBlader Wrote: well IMO drift shouldn't be banned. drift being quote on quote "unbeatable or overpowered" just makes the matches more fun as you can looks for combos that can counter drit (combos) IMO.

The problem with this is that then you've got combos made specifically for beating Drift that perform poorly against anything else. It's like with Pokemon types, Electric types are strong against multiple types but only have one weakness, and Dragon types are strong against one type but have multiple weaknesses.

Forcing people to rely on Drift counters won't work, as those counters will most likely lose to anything that isn't Drift, while Drift crushes anything that isn't a specific counter.
It's hard to explain in text, but... it's like a very lopsided game of rock-paper-scissors, where one option is objectively safer and more consistent to use than anything else.

He isn't really forcing people, but everyone has an opinion.
(Aug. 23, 2021  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote:

Agreed, that’s why the counters aren’t used too often. They’ll lose to most all other combos