Beyblade's current state in Japan- 7/07/14: Return of monthly events in Japan!

(Nov. 22, 2014  1:51 PM)Cup Wrote: Put HUGE quotes in spoiler next time .

Hah, sorry about that, I can do it now.
(Nov. 22, 2014  5:01 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I have no idea why Toys "R" Us seems not to restock on Beyblade items; meanwhile, Wal-Mart and Target sure are getting profit on them and order new stock ...

By the way, I read that, in Japan, Beyblade was already declining back in 2012, and the interest was just saved thanks to the world championship that was hosted that year. I think, knowing that, that it may have been too audacious for TAKARA-TOMY to introduce Zero-G Stadiums after that.

I feel the same way too. Last time I went into Toys "R" in Aqua City Mall Us I saw B-Daman all over the shelves where the beyblades used to lie. Carp it, they have so little respect for Beyblade. In fact the only bey I brought back from Japan was Ray Unicorno D125CS (authentic) I found randomly in a toy store with no other beyblade items (not bad considering it came with a BP card)

Does that mean Zero-G Stadiums were introduced at the wrong time though?

Anyways, I'm a bit worried about HK's Toy Street. It's the last line of defense against this kind of inactivity, and should it fall then Asia will swiftly go over. Not good. The last time I checked BBG's videos it still has some beys.
(Nov. 22, 2014  5:01 AM)Kai-V Wrote: By the way, I read that, in Japan, Beyblade was already declining back in 2012, and the interest was just saved thanks to the world championship that was hosted that year. I think, knowing that, that it may have been too audacious for TAKARA-TOMY to introduce Zero-G Stadiums after that.

Where did you read that?

(Nov. 22, 2014  6:33 PM)RDF3 Wrote: Does that mean Zero-G Stadiums were introduced at the wrong time though?

I think that's what she's saying. I've always thought that Zero-G was too good of a concept to be used simply as an extension to Metal Fight Beyblade; it probably should have been saved for the next series.
In the yearly reports from TAKARA-TOMY.
(Nov. 22, 2014  5:01 AM)Kai-V Wrote: By the way, I read that, in Japan, Beyblade was already declining back in 2012, and the interest was just saved thanks to the world championship that was hosted that year. I think, knowing that, that it may have been too audacious for TAKARA-TOMY to introduce Zero-G Stadiums after that.

There was a topic a few years ago discussing the possibility of Beyblade becoming an evergreen brand; I think this relates to that. As much as I would like to see Beyblade stick around like that, it just can't and sales figures show it. Beyblade is cool, but it gets a little old after a while (As does any other toy, really)

I imagine that sales probably took a similar decline during the release of G-Revolution, which would explain the 3 year hiatus (Maybe 4 years in Japan? I know G-Revolution came out in 2005 in North America, but I'm not sure about Japan) But what happened in 2008 when they brought it back? It was new again, it was dormant for so long that fans missed it, and the new tops were cooler and better than the last ones. Western fans went so far as to import tops, so obviously it was effective.

Takara is aware that this strategy is effective, they do it with some other toy lines as well (B-Damon, for example) It's an easy way to garner in new fans and bring back old ones at the same time. I imagine we'll see another upgraded system in a few years. We're already a year or two into the hiatus after all.
Uh G revolution aired in 2004 so the toys didn't come out a year later. However they continued doing recolours and rereleased and HMS into 2005.
(Nov. 23, 2014  10:35 PM)Ultra Wrote: Uh G revolution aired in 2004 so the toys didn't come out a year later. However they continued doing recolours and rereleased and HMS into 2005.

Oops. I knew I got 2005 from somewhere, but thanks for clearing that up.
Yesterday when I went to WalMart I was compelled to see if they had any Legends yet, still nothing, and what is worse, they had singles down to 2 pegs (barely) and a single peg of the 2-packs so it looks as if the hiatus by Takara has just about kicked it's way into Hasbro as well

I also had a bit of a failing of mine....to erase my disappointment I went to check out the LPS selection but before I could get a detailed enough look my dumb-dumb brother shows up which kind of brought me down even more
The holidays are just around the corner, it's possible that they are just low on stock. In previous years Beyblades would practically disappear from the shelves in November and the drought would last until January, or sometimes even February. It's a big sales season for toy companies, I highly doubt that it's because of Takara's situation.
I doubt they are selling out, though. More like sales are slow and stores are not ordering much, if any, new stock.
If Hasbro is smart; they'll go on hiatus.
It's not selling well at all compared to like Metal Fusion or Masters.
(Nov. 26, 2014  5:41 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I doubt they are selling out, though. More like sales are slow and stores are not ordering much, if any, new stock.

If there's not much stock, but all of the remaining stock is sold, doesn't that mean that it's sold out? Tongue_out

I don't think the anime is still airing in North America, but I could be wrong. I don't really pay attention to television these days. But if the anime is finished then of course sales are going to be low, which would obviously effect stock. But most toy isles become bare around Christmas, even the lame toys sell so it's no wonder why a store would sell out of Beyblades despite them losing popularity.
(Nov. 26, 2014  9:09 PM)Wizard Wrote: If there's not much stock, but all of the remaining stock is sold, doesn't that mean that it's sold out? Tongue_out

I don't think the anime is still airing in North America, but I could be wrong. I don't really pay attention to television these days. But if the anime is finished then of course sales are going to be low, which would obviously effect stock. But most toy isles become bare around Christmas, even the lame toys sell so it's no wonder why a store would sell out of Beyblades despite them losing popularity.
The anime ended a while ago in the US. Many stores just aren't bothering to re-stock, from my experience.
There is a damn large amount of takara in a toy store near my school, but no one actually buy them.
In other news, Asatsu DK just bought D-Rights, which is responsible for all Beyblade anime seasons. It was mostly for D-Rights' power to create anime series and expand them to the world instead of just Japan. Asatsu DK has some very solid anime to its portfolio though, like Prince of Tennis, One Piece and Doraemon, which all do really well domestically in Japan :
https://www.adk.jp/about/keydriver/contents/

Intergrow is also celebrating its seventh anniversary by offering download games for 59% off, including the Metal Fight Beyblade 4D X Zero-G Ultimate Tournament. I have no idea what the other games are though, sometimes the title is different in Japan, so I cannot tell you whether the deal is for great games, but the article does say that they are "popular games".
Interesting news, show wise.

Good to hear the game may be "popular" there.
I live across the street from a target and they have had the same unsold double packs and stadium set since October, i go by once in a while to see if they are in clearance, from what i remember all that's left in the walmart in my cities main mall are those beywheel things
There will be an event at the store Toyseltown in Japan on January 4th 2015, but I have no idea if it is official.
Media in Japan says that ever since the Beyblade boom, TAKARA-TOMY has been really struggling in terms of sales and had to encourage some employees to voluntary early retirement.

In other words, they should be smart enough to restart it, in my opinion.
Im not sure I understand....how does the success of a good toy line lead to poor sales later on?
I think that they should consider some of our suggestions for a new system. I think the same old Pegasus and Ifraid stuff may be boring to the kids in Japan, along with Japan being the homeland to many wonderful things, so it'd be natural for something so popular to just die. Takara Tomy needs to take a lesson from Nintendo. They thought the Super Mario Bros series was going to be a one game wonder, and look at them now. Takara Tomy needs to make a new, fresh twist to keep Beyblades alive, it'd be a shame for them to stop now.
I cannot decide whether I should be happy or disappointed about this news. I believe that kids were more into video games in Japan (obviously). I don't think Beyblade is something that could age too well. However, I hope Takara Tomy does revive the series back because right now, it is feeling empty.
(Jan. 13, 2015  6:50 AM)LeonTempest Wrote: Im not sure I understand....how does the success of a good toy line lead to poor sales later on?

Because a few toylines do super well but not forever, and Beyblade is like that. Basically, if TAKARA-TOMY had not released Beyblade in the last years, they would have been on a continuous downward spiral; Beyblade is the only thing that made them go really in the positive side of profit.
Wait, didn't Takara/Takara Tomy made Transformers as well?
(Jan. 13, 2015  6:23 PM)JinbeeTheShark Wrote: Wait, didn't Takara/Takara Tomy made Transformers as well?

Yes, but it was not enough to save the company's profit in the year 2014 where Beyblade was being 'kept alive' by TAKARA-TOMY but no new Beyblade products were released.

Basically, TAKARA-TOMY is not at a loss at all, but companies and their shareholders are always looking for growth to improve the worth of each share in the company. Nobody wants a simple status quo. So, in comparison, in 2010 TAKARA-TOMY sold 757 (billions etc.) units, but in 2014/2013 they have only been selling 541. That is at least 1/4 of its profit that disappeared.

Transformers might be a big part of why it is even still selling 541 whatever units, but just imagine (and this is a real situation) : you have a first-mould Aries Wheel. In 2010 it was worth over 200 dollars. You may have kept it, thinking that it would be worth triple that if you waited a few more years. But guess what ? That Aries is worth barely 20 dollars today for some weird reasons. The situation is not as drastic in TAKARA-TOMY's case of profit, but their shareholders who did not sell out their shares when they were at their highest worth are basically experiencing the same feeling right now of having missed a huge opportunity. That is why TAKARA-TOMY, and any company in their shoes, is expected to go back to selling 757 whatever units and more.