WBO Organized Play - Burst Format: Rule Updates, Clarifications, and Recommendations

Hey World Bladers! With the successful conclusion of the WBO's first Burst Format event last weekend in Toronto, we have taken what was learned from that event and decided to make official a few significant rules changes while also clarifying some other issues experienced at the event that we believe others will experience in the near future.

Reshoot Clause: Unlimited Per Tournament, 2 Per BeyBattle
This rule change currently only applies to Burst Format.

Instead of two reshoots per tournament (and one per BeyBattle), we have changed the rule to unlimited reshoots per tournament and two per BeyBattle for Burst Format. Problems with skipping and jamming on both the BeyLauncher and Light Launcher have been found to occur much more often in Beyblade Burst than previous generations so far. We want to ensure that the outcome of every BeyBattle is as close to being an accurate depiction of player skill as possible; technical issues are something a player has no control over, and we don't want BeyBattles to be won and lost because of them.

That said, just because you will now be afforded an unlimited amount of reshoots per tournament, and two per BeyBattle does not mean that you can or should abuse this privilege. Even more so than in the past, judges will be looking for obvious technical malfunctions (or outside interference from someone walking by) when deciding whether to grant the reshoot or not. This means they will be listening for things such as grinding or skipping sounds, or watching to see if the Beyblade even leaves the shooter. If you launch weakly by accident and the judge is unable to discern any obvious technical malfunction, they reserve the right to refuse your request for a reshoot. Same goes for if you miss the stadium by accident; it is entirely possible for that to be due to a technical malfunction, but it is also possible that you simply missed the stadium.

All other procedures related to Reshoot Clause regarding the switching of parts or launcher after invoking it remain the same as they are currently described in the Universal Rulebook.

If a judge determines that you are attempting to abuse Reshoot Clause by calling it too frequently without making any change in your equipment, they have the discretionary power to take it away from you for the duration of the BeyBattle.

Burst Finish Priority
When a seemingly simultaneous Burst Finish on one Beyblade and Knockout/Outspin on another occurs, judges should give priority to the Beyblade that remained intact when deciding the outcome of the round.

The reasoning behind this is because logically, if the opposing Beyblade bursts, the one that didn't was either still inside the stadium or still spinning at that specific moment. For a Beyblade to Burst, it must be hit by a Beyblade inside the stadium. If one Beyblade is launched out of the stadium or stopped spinning a split second later, that doesn't matter; it was in the stadium or was still spinning when the opposing Beyblade burst, so it should be given the win for that round.

The only exception is if a Beyblade bursts not because of the direct hit from it's opponent, but from the impact of hitting a wall as a result of that hit. In that case if the intact Beyblade exits the stadium before the opponent bursts as a result of hitting the wall, the Beyblade which exited first would obviously be the loser.

In cases like these, what this means is that judges, you must pay very close attention to what is happening in the battle at all times.

Launching On Top of the Barrier: Illegal
Beyblades in Burst Format cannot be launched on top of the barrier that surrounds the Beystadium. Beyblades must therefore be launched inside the barrier. It is OK if the Beyblade hits the inside edge/rim of the barrier and then falls into the main play area below, but it cannot spin on top of the barrier and then fall in.

Beyblades launched outside the barrier will be given a round loss for that BeyBattle.

Marking Your Parts
In Burst Format when a BeyBattle between two Beyblades using the same or similar parts occurs, it can become difficult to discern which Beyblade is which when a Double Burst Finish occurs.

To prevent parts from becoming mixed-and-matched, we highly recommend that players take note of and do the following on their Beyblades before using them in an official BeyBattle:
  • The production lot/batch number on the bottom of the Layer. Usually this will be something like "A1", "A2", "A3", etc.
  • The number of stars on the bottom of your Disk
  • Place a few of the star stickers included on every Beyblade Burst sticker sheet on your Driver, Disk, and Layer so that you can identify which part is yours. Stickers cannot be placed on the perimeter of the Layer, Disk, or bottom of the Driver. For Disks, stickers must be placed on the bottom.

First Burst Format Event in Every Region: Unranked
The first Burst Format event in every region will be unranked. We hope that this will allow everyone to take the time to learn the new format, gain experience, and experiment without feeling the pressure of having to worry about your BeyPoint System ranking!

It is still to be determined if we will integrate Burst Format events into the current BeyPoint System, or if we will wait until we are able to have separate rankings for each format, but for the second event and beyond in each region, the results will absolutely be processed at some point in the (hopefully near) future.

Organizers, despite the first events not being eligible for BeyPoints, they must still be submitted using the WBO Organized Play Results Spreadsheet.

Everyone, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please feel free to ask them here. Beyblade Burst is still in its infancy, so the changes and recommendations found here are subject to change as we all gain more experience with this format!
I think the committee did a great job with the choosing of all of these rules, they just make a lot of sense, haha.

I'm extremely relieved about the Unlimited Reshoot clause, it was such a fuss at the last tournament cause everything malfunctioned. Also, about putting Burst into the current Beypoint System, I honestly think it should be separate due to how different Burst format is compared to the others. It's a lot less competitive (At least for now), and is still basically in the testing stages. I honestly think we should either wait for it to be integrated into the current system or decide that Burst should have it's own system.
Thanks! The Burst event was really helpful for us to understand how the game plays at a competitive level. Thankfully, not a ton of rule changes required. Smile
Oh joy, more rules to learn! But thanks for the rules Kei!
Yeah I was wondering about the ruling for burst/ko and burst/os finishes. I was just marking them in my testing as DBF, but your argument makes more sense.
I'm really happy to hear that Burst Finishes will take precedence over traditional knockouts and out-spins, so thanks a lot for that one, Committee.

But is teeth slipping between gears and ripcords during launch now valid grounds to invoke the Reshoot Clause? Or only if the judge can hear it occurring? I'd always been under the impression that one couldn't call for a reshoot if their launcher skipped because it wasn't an "obvious technical malfunction."
This is good stuff, I'm glad the reshoot clause was allowed more, because, as you said, it makes wins more about skill. The star stickers idea is really good, I can't believe I didn't think of that, haha.

Anyway, thank you for your hard work, everyone who participated! Your hard work and dedication is very much appreciated.
Agreed with Dual, this is great- now I can hopefully host in CT this or next month.
(Aug. 07, 2015  5:46 AM)Angry Face Wrote: But is teeth slipping between gears and ripcords during launch now valid grounds to invoke the Reshoot Clause? Or only if the judge can hear it occurring? I'd always been under the impression that one couldn't call for a reshoot if their launcher skipped because it wasn't an "obvious technical malfunction."

With regards to the Light Launcher, the truth is that it has an obvious upper limit that teen and adult players are hitting. It's not designed to take that kind of strength. And if the name "Light Launcher" — like "Light Wheel" — is any indication, Takara-Tomy pretty much uses these things as placeholders. The BeyLauncher is the "real" launcher. (So yes, it's unconscionable that they didn't release it separately at launch!)

So my feeling is that yeah, you can reshoot if your Light Launcher skips horribly and your Bey launches at like 50% speed. But if it skips a little bit, that's the nature of that launcher. This is only my own opinion that I would rule as a judge; I'll defer to and enforce any clarification formed by the WBO Committee.
I just started really trying with the light launcher last night. I can actually rip the light launcher faster. But ripping it at these speeds does, I think, damage it. I couldnt get over 1200 with a string launcher. Got to 1500 with a light launcher. You have to rip the cord to the right so it doesn't skip as bad. But like I said. This does cause stress on it, and you will get the occasional dud shot. Probably will happen more as I beat on them more
Wow! Great catch, Zoroaste — pulling the winder to the right seems to be the trick. But you can also just bend the winder and achieve the same result. After all these years chasing perfectly straight winders, maybe I'll have to make a video on how to bend them ...
Lol. Haha. That is a hilariously ironic aspect I never thought about. Now that we want them bent they come straight. Haha
Great ruling kei! Will be looking forward for future events with these rules especally
I think the wbo made a very good job with choosing the rules. I think they´ll help a lot.
It's becoming apparent that the condition of teeth effects the outcome of battles significantly. I suggest that judges be asked to check everyone's teeth for tampering..... not that anyone in this organization would ever even consider cheating. Grin
(Aug. 15, 2015  3:05 PM)ZachBob Wrote: It's becoming apparent that the condition of teeth effects the outcome of battles significantly. I suggest that judges be asked to check everyone's teeth for tampering..... not that anyone in this organization would ever even consider cheating. Grin

Unfortunately, judges taking the time to inspect every Beyblade before every battle would increase the amount of time an individual BeyBattle (and by extension, the tournament itself) takes to complete. And 99% of there would be no issues found. Because it is so uncommon for someone to be actively attempting to cheat, it makes more sense to react to strange performance attributes–such as never bursting over a long period of time–as they are observed (as we also do currently when we notice a particular part not performing how it should due to wear).

Judges have the right to inspect the Beyblades before every battle (and should always make a cursory visual inspection before the battle starts, at least), but they don't necessarily have to do a detailed inspection every time. I think it's more efficient in the long run to do it how I'm describing, alongside maybe some 'random' more detailed checks throughout a given event.
in case it was unclear, modifying the teeth on your Layer will have extremely severe consequences. don't do it. we will find out. Wink
(Aug. 15, 2015  8:21 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: in case it was unclear, modifying the teeth on your Layer will have extremely severe consequences. don't do it. we will find out. Wink

Not in the rules yet! Time to do it while I can!

How? Kei always loses. Serious

I think that falls under the general modification rule.
(Aug. 15, 2015  7:05 PM)Kei Wrote: Because it is so uncommon for someone to be actively attempting to cheat, it makes more sense to react to strange performance attributes–such as never bursting over a long period of time–as they are observed (as we also do currently when we notice a particular part not performing how it should due to wear).

this makes more sense, judges just need to be aware of the possibility I suppose. And I know that cheating isn't usually an issue at all, i'm just worried that with teeth wearing, people my be more tempted. "Oh, this will just make it fair"
Thanks for the rules Kei and to the rest of the committee!Smile This is very helpful Grin
So, basically:

- Don't feel pressured about asking to shoot again, but keep count.
- Make sure your launcher is fine to use with no problems.
- Turn your Beyblade into a star-covered butterfly.
- Bursting? FATALITY.
- ????
- Profit.

I think I've got it. Nice rules, guys and girls! Can't wait to participate. Joyful_3
Zoroaste wins.... Fatality... That has a nice ring to it...
You all better watch out in New York and Montreal and hope I don't make the marathon drive. My attack shots are on point right now son!!!! You'll be all like...
Haha. But seriously, watch me go and get all nervous and get smoked in the first round. Lmao
(Apr. 26, 2017  11:30 PM)darkelf Wrote: which Parts are banned?

None so far, although Dark Deathsyther may soon be banned.