Attention Organizers: New WBO OP Tournament Results Spreadsheet Template

Hi everyone! For a long time now we have been working to streamline and make seamless the process behind getting WBO Organized Play tournaments submitted and entered into the BeyPoint System as quickly as possible.

We have the BeyPoints Queue, which allows for the entire community to see where their event stands, and to help us organize the processing of each event. And we also have the Event Guide which helps outline what is expected of hosts, and contained within it is the WBO BeyBattle Record sheet. But nobody uses that. Some people use Challonge.com, and that works great for the organization of the tournament itself, and it is easy for Committee Members to read as they input the results. However, none of these things are a complete solution that allows for all of the related tournament data to be contained within one place.

As a result, we've done something we should have done a long time ago and created a WBO Organized Play Tournament Results Spreadsheet Template.

View & Download it Here
To download: File -> Download As -> Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)

It is divided into four sheets:

Tournament Information & Participants
[Image: BliCEaB.png]

Results
[Image: WABatJe.png]

Final Scores, Credits Earned & Faces to be Awarded
[Image: bZkOGg9.png]

Winning Combos
[Image: eeSW3vP.png]

[Image: 3TGtwSQ.png]
You can find the tabs for the four sheets at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

The end goal we are shooting for in enacting this is automated batch processing in the massive BeyPoint System upgrade we are working on. If we have a standardized spreadsheet for submitting results, on the backend of the new BeyPoint System we will be able to upload the spreadsheet and have the results inputted automatically! This is one of the features we are most excited about, as you can imagine haha. It will drastically reduce the wait time for tournaments in the BeyPoints Queue because manual entry of each username for each results will have been eliminated from our work load. We are even hoping to allow hosts to 'pre-process' the results with a spreadsheet, and submit them to a queue for us to review before applying to the rankings for real.

This upgrade is still far off, so we will not be standardizing this just yet. It is currently formatted the way it is so that we can easily copy + paste results/information into our master spreadsheet that contains everything from every tournament that has occurred under the modern version of the BeyPoint System. Right now it is a huge manual process because nothing is standard between the way hosts submit results.

We also want your feedback: is there anything you would change or improve about the spreadsheet to make it easier for yourselves to submit the tournament results? Is it too much work? Some hosts do not let us know which Faces need to be awarded (Onyx Face, etc.), or how many Credits each player earned, but it is a big help to us when you do submit that information, which is why it has been included.

Winning Combinations Archive
By the way, Uwik started putting together a spreadsheet with all of the Winning Combinations starting from when we began the thread but was unable to complete it yet. If anyone has some time on their hands and wants to help us out, feel free to take a look at this spreadsheet. You can download it, copy the formatting, and then upload a new sheet when you have the list updated. He wasn't originally including the users of each combo, but I think we want that information included. There are separate sheets for MFB (Formats: STD, LTD, and ZRG included in this one), HMS, and Plastic.
This actually seems like a pretty good idea. It takes more effort than just using Challonge, but the benefits of doing so far outweigh laziness, haha.

Since it's not yet a standardized thing, will we get an announcement when it will be/is? In the time being, is it still alright for me to use Challonge to submit results?
This is a great idea.
Because I know some of you are wondering, to download the spreadsheets linked to in the OP, you need to do this: File -> Download As -> Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)

If you intend on using it, once it is filled out, you can then upload it back to Google Drive, and then share it with us, so we can open it easily in our browsers.

(Apr. 09, 2015  4:12 AM)Leone19 Wrote: This actually seems like a pretty good idea. It takes more effort than just using Challonge, but the benefits of doing so far outweigh laziness, haha.

Since it's not yet a standardized thing, will we get an announcement when it will be/is? In the time being, is it still alright for me to use Challonge to submit results?

Yeah, we think so. When it is mandatory, we will certainly post an announcement. For the time being you can continue submitting your results via Challonge, but it would make our lives easier if you used this spreadsheet. Smile

We will probably have to update the spreadsheet to comply with however our programmer rigs up the spreadsheet upload for the BP System, but even in it's current state it makes it much easier for us because we would know exactly what we are looking at when results are submitted, everything would be contained in one document rather than PMs, Challonge links, e-mails, posts on the forum, etc. And it makes it easier for us to keep our master spreadsheet up to date because each sheet on this template is formatted similarly to the master one.

(Apr. 09, 2015  4:54 AM)UltimateOrion Wrote: This is a great idea.

Thanks!
(Apr. 09, 2015  5:01 AM)Kei Wrote: Yeah, we think so. When it is mandatory, we will certainly post an announcement. For the time being you can continue submitting your results via Challonge, but it would make our lives easier if you used this spreadsheet. Smile

We will probably have to update the spreadsheet to comply with however our programmer rigs up the spreadsheet upload for the BP System, but even in it's current state it makes it much easier for us because we would know exactly what we are looking at when results are submitted, everything would be contained in one document rather than PMs, Challonge links, e-mails, posts on the forum, etc. And it makes it easier for us to keep our master spreadsheet up to date because each sheet on this template is formatted similarly to the master one.

I'll definitely try it out the next time. Nevertheless, this is a really cool idea, can't wait to see the update, itself.
(Apr. 09, 2015  4:08 AM)Kei Wrote: Winning Combinations Archive
By the way, Uwik started putting together a spreadsheet with all of the Winning Combinations starting from when we began the thread but was unable to complete it yet. If anyone has some time on their hands and wants to help us out, feel free to take a look at this spreadsheet. You can download it, copy the formatting, and then upload a new sheet when you have the list updated. He wasn't originally including the users of each combo, but I think we want that information included. There are separate sheets for MFB (Formats: STD, LTD, and ZRG included in this one), HMS, and Plastic.
I will do the Limited spreadsheet.
Cool, I like this idea; just downloaded it.

Real excited for this new BeyPoint System update! Grin
I just downloaded it. I am going to work on the Limited spreadsheet a little bit today.
Definitely long overdue! I like the idea overall, but would suggest taking the column for faces out. I don't think it's fair to expect hosts to look at each player's profile and then the awards list and figure out if they have enough wins to warrant a certain face. It's a lot of work, even for those of us who have hosted before.
That aside, this more organized approach will certainly be beneficial, not only to the committee but also to hosts, since recording results and keeping track of placings, Passport purchases, etc. can be messy work.
This is definitely cool. I'm a weirdo that likes to do this stuff manually with pen and paper lol. Then again, I've never hosted a big event Tongue_out.
I don't know, at least for me personally, it seems like a lot to ask of hosts. I understand that you all do everything you do for free as well, but hosts already put a lot of effort into organizing events. What I would suggest is designate a user group, possibly the advanced users? that receive some face or something for helping process tournaments. I don't know if it can be done, but establish a message group (labelled processors or something) to which people can submit their results and then whoever has the time to do it can take care of it. (Admittedly, this would require establishing an additional excel sheet to keep track of what has already been done, but this would basically just be like a secondary beypoints queue, i.e. the processing queue)
this is really awesome!! Glad to see some new changes in the system.
Love love love love love this.

Thank you.
Thanks everyone! I'm glad the response is generally positive.

(Apr. 10, 2015  3:17 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: Definitely long overdue! I like the idea overall, but would suggest taking the column for faces out. I don't think it's fair to expect hosts to look at each player's profile and then the awards list and figure out if they have enough wins to warrant a certain face. It's a lot of work, even for those of us who have hosted before.
That aside, this more organized approach will certainly be beneficial, not only to the committee but also to hosts, since recording results and keeping track of placings, Passport purchases, etc. can be messy work.

There is no question that we are asking for organizers to do a little bit more work, but it is in the interest of speeding up the process of getting everything done as quickly as possible, and in pleasing the community; which is not only what we as Committee Members should be concerned with on a global level, but organizers on a local level for their specific community.

Concerning Faces specifically, I don't think it is very difficult to calculate the wins-related Faces if the BeyPoints Queue is up to date (which it should be even more once we get people to buy in to this system and implement it for real). Several hosts in Toronto (Priscient, LMAO, and Honey come to mind) do it, initially without us even asking them to. Since most tournaments are not huge, it's not a huge task to double check if someone will reach X wins after the tournament is processed. Right now we don't usually check until someone asks for it because we have so much else to do, and that isn't the greatest process.

If for some reason it's not possible to calculate because of the BeyPoints Queue, then it's fine to leave that out and let us know that was the case.

Tri Wrote:This is definitely cool. I'm a weirdo that likes to do this stuff manually with pen and paper lol. Then again, I've never hosted a big event Tongue_out.

The spreadsheet isn't meant to necessarily be used to organize the tournament itself, but to record the results after the fact. So, even if you record the results manually with pen and paper, the idea is that you transfer it to this spreadsheet afterwards instead of just typing it up yourself in some random non-standardized format that isn't the same as the other hosts around the world (which in turn makes it more difficult for us to keep track of and understand everything being submitted to us).

(Apr. 10, 2015  5:21 AM)Time Wrote: I don't know, at least for me personally, it seems like a lot to ask of hosts. I understand that you all do everything you do for free as well, but hosts already put a lot of effort into organizing events. What I would suggest is designate a user group, possibly the advanced users? that receive some face or something for helping process tournaments. I don't know if it can be done, but establish a message group (labelled processors or something) to which people can submit their results and then whoever has the time to do it can take care of it. (Admittedly, this would require establishing an additional excel sheet to keep track of what has already been done, but this would basically just be like a secondary beypoints queue, i.e. the processing queue)

We can't give regular users in a 'processor' group access to the BeyPoint System itself since it is a part of the Admin CP, but yes, we could potentially create a group like that to help ... but what would they be helping with? Calculating Credits and what Faces need to be awarded? To me, it makes much more sense for the organizers to be fully responsible for their own tournament and all related data, and then the Committee can double-check everything and process the tournament itself. Instead of piling everything on a small group of people, we should spread out the responsibility.

If we want things to run more smoothly, we need organizers to step up and meet us half way. There's a few extra fields in the spreadsheet, but really, it isn't a lot more work.
At least the way I was thinking of it was more along the lines of submitting a challonge link with the results to the "processor group" and then having whoever has the time to do it step up and actually put the information into the excel sheet. It would also be another way to reward members who contribute greatly to the community with different face tierings.
Not everyone uses Challonge and therefore still has to type up the results anyways, but I see what you're saying. I think something like that might make more sense if the scene was more active; at this point it makes more sense for the organizer to do it, or for the organizer to partner with someone else they know (in their community or outside it) as the second "organizer" to help split the duties if they cannot do it all themselves. Remember that organizing a tournament doesn't have to be a solitary activity; like always, we allow for there to be two official hosts for an event, as is reflected on the excel spreadsheet.
I feel like it's kind of unnecessary being asked to list the number of attendees, format and the tournament title once again in the results section a numerous, seeing as it's already addressed in the first section.

I'm not going to deny that while I'm a pretty lazy person myself, it's kind of a bit much to ask for.
(Apr. 13, 2015  1:50 AM)Honey Wrote: I feel like it's kind of unnecessary being asked to list the number of attendees, format and the tournament title once again in the results section a numerous, seeing as it's already addressed in the first section.

I'm not going to deny that while I'm a pretty lazy person myself, it's kind of a bit much to ask for.

You have to remember that we also have a master spreadsheet that simply lists all results in chronological order, independent of the other tournament information. Attaching the date, format, attendees, and tournament title to every battle ensures that it is clear to whoever is looking at the archive on the master spreadsheet what a particular battle belongs to.

To us, every BeyBattle has a certain set of metadata associated with it that it should not be divorced from; it always matters what the date was, what the format was (once we implement the additional rankings for each format), how many attendees there was (the amount of BP you gain/lose also varies slightly depending on the size of the tournament), and which tournament it actually took place in. Each BeyBattle also has a number associated with it on the master spreadsheet, starting all the way from number one for the first battle in the first tournament recorded in the BeyPoint System. That isn't included in the template however because there's no way for people to know exactly what number their tournament should start at; we will do that ourselves when we add it to the master spreadsheet. That number ensures that the chronological order of the battles is crystal clear and not possible to be confused.

Anyways, that information can be written once and copy/pasted down the spreadsheet rows for every other battle, so you don't have to actually type it every time.
This is amazing.

The plan to automate the Beypoints system is an especially brilliant idea; that would make the process so much smoother (not that you guys don't do a good job processing events or anything, but to have the rankings adjusted virtually instantly would be amazing).

As for all the information that needs to be filled out, It doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, honestly. Maybe just an extra 15-20 minutes after the event to get everything figured out and written down. The information would definitely be valuable (you know what would be insanely cool? A spreadsheet recording the exact combinations used in each match, recording wins and losses; that would be an incredible tool for evaluating tournament results. You'd probably never find anyone willing to fill it out, but if multiple judges were willing to contribute, it might be a possibility in particularly important events).

Ooh, separate rankings for each format? That sounds cool. When did that idea come up? Would we have like 3 ranks listed under our avatar?
(Apr. 12, 2015  4:01 AM)Kei Wrote: Not everyone uses Challonge and therefore still has to type up the results anyways, but I see what you're saying. I think something like that might make more sense if the scene was more active; at this point it makes more sense for the organizer to do it, or for the organizer to partner with someone else they know (in their community or outside it) as the second "organizer" to help split the duties if they cannot do it all themselves. Remember that organizing a tournament doesn't have to be a solitary activity; like always, we allow for there to be two official hosts for an event, as is reflected on the excel spreadsheet.
That's fair. One further suggestion that I think would make sense though would be upping the hosting a tournament credit count to 2 or 3. It would be a nice way to acknowledge the extra work hosts now have to put in and hopefully further encourage people to host at all (motivation is what seems to be lacking in MD right now).
(Apr. 13, 2015  2:52 AM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: As for all the information that needs to be filled out, It doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, honestly. Maybe just an extra 15-20 minutes after the event to get everything figured out and written down. The information would definitely be valuable (you know what would be insanely cool? A spreadsheet recording the exact combinations used in each match, recording wins and losses; that would be an incredible tool for evaluating tournament results. You'd probably never find anyone willing to fill it out, but if multiple judges were willing to contribute, it might be a possibility in particularly important events).

Ooh, separate rankings for each format? That sounds cool. When did that idea come up? Would we have like 3 ranks listed under our avatar?

Yeah, and nobody is saying you have to submit the results on the day the event happens. People can take their time and submit it within a reasonable timeframe (I would actually encourage this; it's better than rushing to get them in, missing a battle or something, and then we find mistakes later and have to work to piece together what the issues are).

I remember this was done at BEYBLADE'S NOT DEAD! at AN2008 ... I'm not sure what happened to the data. But yeah, while that is a cool idea, it is definitely too much work to ask of any organizers. Saving it for important events seems more appropriate, but even then, while it makes more sense to record combinations in that type of tournament, it's also harder to do so because there is so much more that the organizers have to worry about with larger amounts of participants.

We've been kicking the idea around since before Zero-G launched; we had a huge discussion internally about whether Zero-G should be mixed in with Standard since we knew they were going to require new formats. Eventually, mixing it in with Standard won out, but now that things have settled down and we have more time to improve and refine the system, we decided that it would be a good idea to implement moving forward.

The idea is that we will not only have separate rankings for each format (including HMS and Plastics), but that the system will be extendable so that we can add new formats in the future. Additionally, each format will exist under a "Global BeyRank" which combines your performance across all formats. We're not sure exactly what's going to happen to the postbit's yet (the rank under your avatar), but I think it would be cool to have the ability to choose one rank to display.

(Apr. 13, 2015  7:17 PM)Time Wrote: That's fair. One further suggestion that I think would make sense though would be upping the hosting a tournament credit count to 2 or 3. It would be a nice way to acknowledge the extra work hosts now have to put in and hopefully further encourage people to host at all (motivation is what seems to be lacking in MD right now).

That's something we can consider. The Supreme One also PMed me the other day and one of the things she suggested was allowing first-time organizers to not be responsible for things like Credits Earned and Faces to be Awarded so that we can ease people into being organizers, rather than throwing everything at them the first time around.
After hosting 2 past events, it was great to use this new spreadsheet to submit results for my 3rd tournament. It made things so much easier and truly makes things complete in terms of information needed. I reckon it took me 10-20 minutes to fill out, but it could have been faster. Now come the issues I found while using it...

1 - Consistency. The overall look is fine, since the spreadsheet does not need to look fancy, however, some areas were in different fonts and sizes, which was confusing and having to manually edit cells was a bit of a pain. This links nicely with...

2 - Sample Cells. The sample cells with Blader A, etc. were great and formatted correctly. However, all the cells below were wrongly formatted, either not being merged, wrong font and size, etc. It took some time to correctly format these cells, and if organisers were trying to enter results for big events, i.e. over 8 participants, this will increase the time taken to simply put those results in. Merging cells, changing fonts and so on get really repetitive, so something should be done about that.

3 - Instructions. Most of the spreadsheet was pretty self-explanatory. However, some of it will make little sense to new hosts. For example, it took me a while to realise was "Score" was. I think we need to make such things clearer. Also, I simply assumed that "Majority Win" credits were given to those who simply won more matches than lost. Whether this is the case, I don't know.

Out of all the pages, the first and last (Tournament Attendance and Winning Combos) were the most complete. The first page still has formatting issues, but the last looked perfectly fine to me and was self-explanatory. The second page has a column labelled "Participants" which I found confusing, so I put an "X" in all of them. Perhaps this means that every cell needs the participant count there?

As for how I would go about these problems, the formatting issues are an easy fix. Correctly format all cells, probably a minimum of 20, but I guess it depends on the average maximum participant count (looking at USA and Canada here), meaning it could go way up to 50 for big events.

I would keep fonts consistent. Decide between Verdana or Arial and decide on a size to stick with. I think the titles were ok, but contents should be consistent.

For cells that contain the same information, such as date, participant number, etc. in the results page, I think you can set those cells to equal to content of the first cell, such as "=A1" for example. This saves us from having to copy paste/drag down. Then again, we don't know exactly how many participants attended, so I can only say to do that for the minimum 7, since that's the lowest possible.

After that, an explanation could be given to each column, but perhaps the easiest way is to go through each column in the OP explaining what information goes in there and things like which Faces and Credits should be awarded. This saves hosts from having to find the face collection and searching for those faces and their requirements. There shouldn't be too many (DJ, the win count faces, Metal Face and so on).

Honey Wrote:I'm not going to deny that while I'm a pretty lazy person myself, it's kind of a bit much to ask for.

As Honey said, hosts are a bit lazy, so we'd appreciate making the process smoother. In the end, this spreadsheet is aiming to make results submission easier and faster, so we should try to make things easier for hosts and avoid future issues/confusion. Erm, if needed I could spend some time applying the above observations to a copy of the spreadsheet in case parts of my explanations don't make sense. Definitely would not mind helping out. Grin

Otherwise, the spreadsheet is awesome and making the Beypoint system almost automatic is a great step forward to making a efficient, fast process.
Thanks for your thorough comments! I'm glad you found that it was generally easier and that it didn't take that much time in the end.

Everyone, please download the spreadsheet again if you have already. I have made several updates to it based on Manicben's comments.

View & Download it Here
To download: File -> Download As -> Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)

(Apr. 26, 2015  3:49 PM)Manicben Wrote: 1 - Consistency. The overall look is fine, since the spreadsheet does not need to look fancy, however, some areas were in different fonts and sizes, which was confusing and having to manually edit cells was a bit of a pain. This links nicely with...

2 - Sample Cells. The sample cells with Blader A, etc. were great and formatted correctly. However, all the cells below were wrongly formatted, either not being merged, wrong font and size, etc. It took some time to correctly format these cells, and if organisers were trying to enter results for big events, i.e. over 8 participants, this will increase the time taken to simply put those results in. Merging cells, changing fonts and so on get really repetitive, so something should be done about that.

I've updated this. Everything except the title for each sheet is Verdana 8pt now, and the cells should be properly merged where they weren't before. It was late when I was making this haha ...

(Apr. 26, 2015  3:49 PM)Manicben Wrote: 3 - Instructions. Most of the spreadsheet was pretty self-explanatory. However, some of it will make little sense to new hosts. For example, it took me a while to realise was "Score" was. I think we need to make such things clearer. Also, I simply assumed that "Majority Win" credits were given to those who simply won more matches than lost. Whether this is the case, I don't know.

Out of all the pages, the first and last (Tournament Attendance and Winning Combos) were the most complete. The first page still has formatting issues, but the last looked perfectly fine to me and was self-explanatory. The second page has a column labelled "Participants" which I found confusing, so I put an "X" in all of them. Perhaps this means that every cell needs the participant count there?

I see what you're saying; I probably assumed people would understand things like that, but new hosts might not, you're right. I've tried to clarify "Score" by writing "Score (Total Wins/Losses), and I added links to the Face List and Credits Help document in case people are wondering about what things like "Majority Win" means (your guess was right).

I added this note for "Common Faces to be Awarded" as well:

Quote:Common Faces to be Awarded: Gold, Silver or Bronze Face for 1st/2nd/3rd placement. DJ Face for judging, Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby/Onyx Face for 15/25/50/100 Total BP System Wins, Passport Face for $10 entry fee

I've changed Participants to "# of Tournament Participants" and also added the following note to the sheet so people understand why it's there:

Quote:Note: "# of Tournament Participants" refers to the total amount of participants in the tournament, not in the individual BeyBattle. BeyPoints won/lost in a battle depends not only on the Bladers BP, but this variable as well.

Whenever an individual BeyBattle is inputted into the BeyPoint System, there is fields not only for the two Bladers, but for the number of tournament participants as well, so we need this number attached to the metadata for each BeyBattle on the results.

(Apr. 26, 2015  3:49 PM)Manicben Wrote: For cells that contain the same information, such as date, participant number, etc. in the results page, I think you can set those cells to equal to content of the first cell, such as "=A1" for example. This saves us from having to copy paste/drag down. Then again, we don't know exactly how many participants attended, so I can only say to do that for the minimum 7, since that's the lowest possible.

I don't have a ton of experience with Excel/spreadsheets, but I knew there must be an easy way to do that. We don't know how many results will be listed because we can't predetermine the size of the tournament, but I've done what you suggested with date/participants/tournament name for the first 21 battles/rows. I believe that should be the minimum number of battles played in an official 7 Blader Round Robin tournament.

(Apr. 26, 2015  3:49 PM)Manicben Wrote: As Honey said, hosts are a bit lazy, so we'd appreciate making the process smoother. In the end, this spreadsheet is aiming to make results submission easier and faster, so we should try to make things easier for hosts and avoid future issues/confusion. Erm, if needed I could spend some time applying the above observations to a copy of the spreadsheet in case parts of my explanations don't make sense. Definitely would not mind helping out. Grin

Otherwise, the spreadsheet is awesome and making the Beypoint system almost automatic is a great step forward to making a efficient, fast process.

Nobody here is getting paid, so we need everyone to pitch in a little bit more to make things better for everyone. Smile And the 10-20 minutes it took you to input the results using this new spreadsheet doesn't sound bad at all; people could always split the duties like I said before as well if time was ever an issue.

The new spreadsheet requires a slightly higher amount of work from hosts (mainly in asking them to calculate Credits and Faces Earned), but the end goal is absolutely to make results submission faster and easier. People in the past complained how long it took to get things done; the problem with our process before was that it was disjointed. Even now we have people sending in multiple Challonge results links, posting Winning Combinations in a thread on the forums, submitting text results via PM, a BeyPoints Queue that we manually have to update, and who knows what else ... It's a challenge to keep all of that organized. This spreadsheet helps to consolidate a lot of the information into one place. I'm also thinking we should simply have a "WBO Organized Play" results thread in the Organizers' Circle that is purely a thread filled with links to new results posted by hosts. Technically I believe the Event Guide states all results should be posted publicly in the tournament threads so that everyone can see them and catch any issues before we have to spend more of our time doing so and chasing down hosts for more information, but nobody does that. Kai-V and Naijalak, what do you think?

So in the end, we're trying to do what we can to make it faster to process results, to archive all of the data related to our events in one place, and to set ourselves up for a brighter future, which has suddenly become even more important with the announcement of Beyblade Burst.
Yeah, I noticed a couple of things that Manicben mentioned. I had to fix those myself when working on my Sway Central spreadsheet. It wasn't a big deal, but I'm glad to see that the issues are now fixed.