WBO First Stage 3v3 Deck Format with built in solution for the consecutive draws

Three individual zippered pouches of that size for three beys? That seems less than ideal.
https://www.packagingsupplies.com/produc...ed-mailers
(Sep. 12, 2021  1:59 AM)Shindog Wrote: [Image: sd8VQEc.jpg]This is my set up for my event tomorrow.
One of the concerns is to have to count total number of rounds (10) before sudden death rounds, while keeping track of points bladers scored, while also keeping track if 3 draws occurred.  This can get confusing for judges.  A pen and a piece of paper can be used to keep track, but I chose to keep Blader scores with a inexpensive score card, to keep track of total rounds played with a D10 dice (I plan to upgrade to Jumbo D10 if this works out), and to have the judge only keep track if 3 draws occurred.  The “deck boxes” are the pencil pouches that also serve as my dice bag.
Looks awesome! Seriously wish I could go. Hope you have a blast tomorrow!
My unranked event Shin LA Burst Standard 9-12-21 ended  up with with 23 Participants.  We ran the rules you saw in the OP.  1st stage 3v3 deck format took 2hrs and 13 mins to complete.  The longest match was less than 8 mins.  The second longest match was 5 mins and 38 seconds.  People really did enjoy it quite a bit.  I will post a link to the winning combos here soon.  There was plenty of LAD combos as you will see.  We had many new players as well.
Participant Report:
As someone who attended Shin's 3v3 event and acted as a judge, I would like to note how convoluted the play was. When judging you had to keep track of the score, round number, and number of ties at the same time, even with the aids of the d10s and score counter is was a lot to do as a judge. As a Player, having the matchup switch every round gives you no time or choice to react with new strategies and I feel that made matches more random. The ruleset felt very much like our already existing Team Tournament ruleset, but it reduces the members down to one player and less matches for individual beys, leading to potential overwhelm and choice overload. I however did "better" than I do normally at tournaments, I contribute this to me using statistics to raise my odds of winning by going Attack, Defense, Attack with my first ordering as a Safe, Shake Up, Safe thing. I do like having to construct decks with no repeating parts, as I have stated several times, as it boosts the strategy, but again I feel the matchup change reduces the direct control you have in a round. I have also noticed the younger children were very confused by this ruleset and were having issues. Due to these reasonings, I still prefer P3C1 as it strikes a balance between simplicity and strategy between Double Blind Single Bey, Deck Format, and 3v3.
(Sep. 14, 2021  6:01 AM)See RacingCheetahz Wrote: Participant Report:
As someone who attended Shin's 3v3 event and acted as a judge, I would like to note how convoluted the play was. When judging you had to keep track of the score, round number, and number of ties at the same time, even with  the aids of the d10s and score counter is was a lot to do as a judge. As a Player, having the matchup switch every round gives you no time or choice to react with new strategies and I feel that made matches more random. The ruleset felt very much like our already existing Team Tournament ruleset, but it reduces the members down to one player and less matches for individual beys, leading to potential overwhelm and choice overload. I however did "better" than I do normally at tournaments, I contribute this to me using statistics to raise my odds of winning by going Attack, Defense, Attack with my first ordering as a Safe, Shake Up, Safe thing. I do like having to construct decks with no repeating parts, as I have stated several times, as it boosts the strategy, but again I feel the matchup change reduces the direct control you have in a round. I have also noticed the younger children were very confused by this ruleset and were having issues. Due to these reasonings, I still prefer P3C1 as it strikes a balance between simplicity and strategy between Double Blind Single Bey, Deck Format, and 3v3.
Keeping track of the 10 battle limit and number of draws will likely be utilized in Double Blind Single Bey, and P3C1 as well.  If fact, many events are using what has been called the “Toronto rules,”  which is essentially single bey format with battles and draws being counted.  I believe Hunter Burst 2 is playing “Toronto rules” and I believe you are currently “joined” for that event.  You can see the ruleset being applied to the event in this post https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Hunter-...pid1794734
The counting of battles is not originally part of the 3v3 format.  These were added to 3v3 and will likely need to be added to other formats. They are put in place to deal with the massive amounts of LAD draws that organizers are facing.  The same solutions in some form will likely be applied to any format we play, at least in first stage.  I am not sure if you are suggesting if P3C1 or single bey wouldn’t need these counting measures.  We are playing single bey in first stage currently as an organization, and we are currently having problems. 

I judged a little bit more than I usually do because I specifically wanted to see 1st hand how player adopt to these rules.  I honestly didn’t see any problems with even the younger kids . I also did check with our other judges/organizers.  No one report any significant issues.  If there were issues, I regret that I wasn’t informed as the organizer by the judge(s). 

Most people did read the rules that I printed out for them at least once.  Of course, this being the first time for all of us running a 3v3 event, the judges would still be expected to guide the players along from time to time.  Yet,  given it was our first time running this 3v3 ruleset, this was still the quickest I have ever finished 1st stage in burst standard 5 rounds swiss as host.  That is simply a fact.  So if there was a lot of confusion, it didn’t translate into any delays at least.

Speaking of counting the number of ties/draws, and based on what I was told by the judges, there just wasn’t that many of them to count is my understanding.  The longest match only ran to the 8th or 9th battle, not one match actually hit 10 battles.  The same match also had  1 occurrence of 3 consecutive draws by OS.  This match was the longest at the event and was over 7 mins long, as I have mentioned in a previous post.

As far as “choice overload” goes, I guess I can see that.  The WC list is a little bit longer than average in my opinion:
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Winning...pid1794641.  The most successful players even played some what I would consider unusual suspects.  I personally don’t think of this as a negative outcome.  Of course, that is just my personal opinion.
The following is my feedback as a judge;
1. The majority of participants were kids or new players to the tournaments. In general, they always need a guidance, of course, they don't read rulebook before they come. They don't even know what single bey format means. With help of Shindog`s printout regarding the experimental ruleset, I also explained briefly what to do before inspecting their beys. And they followed well. The issue is not the style of the format but how we guide and educate them.

2. Time.
I would say the average judging time (just playing time) was between 2-3 mins per match. How many battles? Average 3-5 battles per match. Reshuffle? Mostly once or none.

3. Devices
10D Dice? Used only once. Score card? Helped. I could focus on the match, not the score. I didn't have to count it with my fingers.

4. Combos.
Still A LOT of LAD drivers, of course. But I haven't encountered any 3 consecutive draws as a judge. Saw attackers more than usual, mostly quick dash or xtreme dash.

As you see the time we spent for the first stage, ONLY 2 hours 13 minutes ! With 23 participants ! Is there any other word we need to say about this 3vs 3 format?
Wasn't it complicated? It can't be more simple than single bey format but easily followable. At the end, most knew what to do when their names were called.

The following is my feedback as a participant;
1. A variety of combos.
It was a unranked. So I felt free to try out something. I didn't really expect infinite lock layer was working that well (I just made it for fun and for my korean blader friends who wait for my battle videos). At least, it did well last Sunday. My entire combos were not stuck with all the meta stuffs.
But, what if it was a ranked? I would still do some if it was 3 vs 3 format. More chances for a variety, personally. It was fun.
I saw NightmareGoku using Lord Vangaurd Bearing combo and Burn phoenix combo. Isn't it crazy?

Let`s go back to the last tournament in Lawndale (2 weeks ago). All I remember was Dynamite, Vanish, Dynamite, Vanish, Dynamite, Vanish....Oh Rage.... Bearing, Drift, Zone'+Z. And meaningless repetitive launching to see who wobbles more or not at the end. That`s all I remember about that tournament.
My family and my colleagues (total 6 people) told me that they lost their interest in "Beyblade" after that tournament. That is why I was the only one there last Sunday.

2. Time
Average 2-3 mins per match. Number of battles per match? 3-5. Reshuffle? only twice. 3 consecutive draws? only once with Mitchjett (you can check it in my battle video, I didn't edit to show how long it would take to finish when competitive bladers battle).

I know there was a concern that most players don't have 3 "COMPETITIVE" combos. What does "COMPETITIVE" mean? I saw some kids win with old stuffs against meta combos. Who would believe "infinite lock layer" be the thing on that day? I know there are still some people being doubtful, saying "just lucky".

Oh.. I forgot the last ...
3. The order to use among 3 combos. Luck? Probability? Strategy?
Good example is the last match of first stage between Me and Shindog, the 55th match. It was 1st Rage X' vs PA Sh, 2nd DP Dr vs AS Rs (Left), 3rd VB Br vs SB Vn+V.
What if it was..... 1st Rage X' vs SB Vn+V, 2nd DP Dr vs PA Sh, 3rd VA Br vs AS Rs (Left)?
If I used my combos in a different order, I may win.
I made that specific combos, just against Shindog. I wanted to show that something could happen in this 3vs3 format.

Overall, it did give me a positive impression in terms of organizing/running the tournament as well as enjoying the battle. You can see kids more excited.
Maybe younger players should use more powerful launchers

And why am I in here I’m a 12 year old kid
With all of the draws and consecutive Opposite spin matches , our FL tournaments eats so much of our time, and since most judges are players as well , they then get to pick and choose who to advance even with the "wobble" or "thats a half spin" , or the infamous "that counts"
Judge's Fatigue is real. Also , im not gonna name any names , but after a match i had with a high ranking player i overheard the judge talk to another player
"id rather have him on top cuts, than him"
Yes, we record and review each match, and yes we DO ask the head judge's opinion as well.

The 3v3 deck format is definitely working as i can see it, and also through testing. Maybe just format most tournaments like this from now on.
3v3 Deck Format on swiss , then 5G on the Top Cut Final Matches.

Also, it would'nt hurt if we USE OTHER STADIUMS.

I believe have out grown the Beyblade Standard Stadium since Sparking (Hence the release of the Sparking Stadium)
Its about time we get caught up with the times.
Unless of course, people really value their "rankings" for some odd reason.
Taking the same test, with the same questions, with the same order , will not make you smarter, you've only memorized it.
So ssjr0118 when are you holding an unranked (EDIT: Or ranked, I seriously do not care either way) DB Beystadium testing tournament in Florida?
I understand and agree with you ssjr0118 things do need to get caught up with the times. And yes DeceasedCrab testing is important but how many test have to happen for a change. 3v3 has been tested for a while now. Canada just had a ranked event with test, single Bey testing, but testing in ranked none the less. However, other organizers can’t test or make changes which seems a bit unfair.

As ive mentioned, organizers are the backbone of this organization in regards to spreading the game and forming events to build the community. If most of us are screaming for change I believe it should happen sooner than later
Having "too many choices" seems like a good thing to me? Even if not, that is more a matter of planning, which I again see as a positive.

I'm also not sure how an attack unfriendly stadium like db will assist in resolving issues with LAD dominating - they have the upper hand in that type of stadium.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the actual topic of the thread helped bring down match times and bring out more attack! I understand that for some reason it wasn't ranked, which is disappointing, I don't see how this would affect the integrity of the beyrank system and I strongly feel that is a better test.
So I’m hoping is a precursor to my event tomorrow “DB Stadium Try Outs”. With that tournament being tomorrow I’ve been doing some practicing and testing in the new DB stadium and so far when it has come to Opposite spin LAD match ups, I have had a significantly less amount of close games and a large more of clear view wins. I’m thinking that this might have to do with the incline of the stadium being so steep. It’s a lot harder to get 2 beys into the center or even at the same height as each other. This means that so far a trend that I’ve been seeing is the bey that is sitting higher up on the slope outspins the other because less contact is being done to their layer, as well as them pushing down the blade that’s more in the center to make it scrape.

This is just what I’ve been noticing with my testing and I hope the trend continues at my tournament tomorrow and give new hope to the opposite spin LAD match ups in the future. And if so maybe the C3P1 option might turn into the better choice.
(Sep. 18, 2021  4:49 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: So I’m hoping is a precursor to my event tomorrow “DB Stadium Try Outs”. With that tournament being tomorrow I’ve been doing some practicing and testing in the new DB stadium and so far when it has come to Opposite spin LAD match ups, I have had a significantly less amount of close games and a large more of clear view wins. I’m thinking that this might have to do with the incline of the stadium being so steep. It’s a lot harder to get 2 beys into the center or even at the same height as each other. This means that so far a trend that I’ve been seeing is the bey that is sitting higher up on the slope outspins the other because less contact is being done to their layer, as well as them pushing down the blade that’s more in the center to make it scrape.

This is just what I’ve been noticing with my testing and I hope the trend continues at my tournament tomorrow and give new hope to the opposite spin LAD match ups in the future. And if so maybe the C3P1 option might turn into the better choice.
I will also say that in my own experience DB stadium produces a bit less draws, maybe….  Things can definitely still draw tho, and a lot of draws can occur given our definition of “spinning” imo.   Besides my own observations, I also see a lot less draws being called in the WBBA, but the WBBA doesn’t define “spinning” the same way we do. A little wiggle, fall, or movement at all, wins, generally in the WBBA.

I think in the WBBA you will find that they simply call less draws…..  They did play the 3v3 format with “2 or 3 draws and push to next bey” in the past.  That went away with the most part with the introduction of the 5G, a format which isn’t suppose to reshuffle. This means the match needs to be completely within the 5 beys.
(Sep. 10, 2021  7:09 PM)Shindog Wrote: One of the feedbacks that I received, and the reason why 3v3 events cannot be used for ranked events at this time, is that the utilization of 3v3 and P3C1  in the first stage will taint/soil the rankings we currently have.  The current ranking system is mostly built on the single bey 1v1 double blind stand format.

What are people’s thoughts about this?  If there is a future where there are multiple 1st stage formats to chose from or even multiple  stadiums to chose from for ranked play (I guess older formats already have this), would people feel the rankings would be somehow tainted/soiled?  The game that I have played the most in my life is still Magic the Gathering,  which I quit years ago.  When I played, constructed, limited, sealed, Type I, Type II, standard, extended, vintage/classic…..etc were all under one ranking system.  I am not sure how things are done now.  I guess I just never throught this as an issue.  

Interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Just saw this. What a truly baffling argument. We have entire different formats using the same ranking system, we've had the system through so many different metagames, and we're concerned that this change of all things will throw it into disarray? How? Not to mention the fact finals haven't been deck forever. Weird take.
(Sep. 19, 2021  1:09 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Sep. 10, 2021  7:09 PM)Shindog Wrote: One of the feedbacks that I received, and the reason why 3v3 events cannot be used for ranked events at this time, is that the utilization of 3v3 and P3C1  in the first stage will taint/soil the rankings we currently have.  The current ranking system is mostly built on the single bey 1v1 double blind stand format.

What are people’s thoughts about this?  If there is a future where there are multiple 1st stage formats to chose from or even multiple  stadiums to chose from for ranked play (I guess older formats already have this), would people feel the rankings would be somehow tainted/soiled?  The game that I have played the most in my life is still Magic the Gathering,  which I quit years ago.  When I played, constructed, limited, sealed, Type I, Type II, standard, extended, vintage/classic…..etc were all under one ranking system.  I am not sure how things are done now.  I guess I just never throught this as an issue.  

Interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Just saw this. What a truly baffling argument. We have entire different formats using the same ranking system, we've had the system through so many different metagames, and we're concerned that this change of all things will throw it into disarray? How? Not to mention the fact finals haven't been deck forever. Weird take.
I did say what you said here….
Shindog what are the definition for draws within the WBBA, or actually the definition on spinning as you mentioned earlier
(Sep. 19, 2021  1:50 AM)StayCool Wrote: Shindog what are the definition for draws within the WBBA, or actually the definition on spinning as you mentioned earlier

Each WBBA territory can have slightly different rules is what I have observed.  In general:

Wiggle, fall,
Or any movement at all.

The judge will give the last thing that moves with out having completed stopped the win.
(Sep. 19, 2021  1:58 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2021  1:50 AM)StayCool Wrote: Shindog what are the definition for draws within the WBBA, or actually the definition on spinning as you mentioned earlier

Each WBBA territory can have slightly different rules is what I have observed.  In general:

Wiggle, fall,
Or any movement at all.

The judge will give the last thing that moves with out having completed stopped the win.
I honestly don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand that makes the draw problem a lot less of a pain in the neck. But on the other hand it’s still not spinning, and Beyblade is about spinning battling tops.
(Sep. 19, 2021  2:30 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2021  1:58 AM)Shindog Wrote: Each WBBA territory can have slightly different rules is what I have observed.  In general:

Wiggle, fall,
Or any movement at all.

I honestly don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand that makes the draw problem a lot less of a pain in the neck. But on the other hand it’s still not spinning, and Beyblade is about spinning battling tops.

I can see it working out. For time saving especially and it’s tough to call a spin a spin sometimes. It varies by judge.
(Sep. 19, 2021  2:30 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2021  1:58 AM)Shindog Wrote: Each WBBA territory can have slightly different rules is what I have observed.  In general:

Wiggle, fall,
Or any movement at all.

I don’t either.  I do know this tho, the people who invented this game play that way.  It’s seems perfectly natural to them.  It doesn’t seem to trouble them at all.  To be honest, I don’t really understand the WBO definition of “spinning.”  Especially when in the definition of “spinning,” the word “rolling” is also used in a way to at I don’t fully understand:

“A Beyblade is still considered to be spinning as long as it is visibly rotating to any degree along the axis running directly through the center of the Beyblade faster than the rotation along the stadium floor in the same direction it was launched in.

A complete full rotation around this axis is not needed to be considered spinning. Rotation along the stadium floor alone is considered ‘rolling’ and is therefore no longer considered to be spinning.

Some Beyblades have parts that allow the upper half to continue rotating after the bottom half has stopped; these are still considered to be spinning. If a Beyblade starts spinning again after it has stopped, the round does not resume.”

Dread Vertical is supposedly legal in the WBBA and WBO.  Is Dread Vertical not rolling on the stadium floor like tires rolling down the street? I am quite confused
(Sep. 19, 2021  3:46 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2021  2:30 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: I honestly don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand that makes the draw problem a lot less of a pain in the neck. But on the other hand it’s still not spinning, and Beyblade is about spinning battling tops.
I don’t either.  I do know this tho, the people who invented this game play that way.  It’s seems perfectly natural to them.  It doesn’t seem to trouble them at all.  To be honest, I don’t really understand the WBO definition of “spinning.”  Especially when in the definition of “spinning,” the word “rolling” is also used in a way to at I don’t fully understand:

“A Beyblade is still considered to be spinning as long as it is visibly rotating to any degree along the axis running directly through the center of the Beyblade faster than the rotation along the stadium floor in the same direction it was launched in.

A complete full rotation around this axis is not needed to be considered spinning. Rotation along the stadium floor alone is considered ‘rolling’ and is therefore no longer considered to be spinning.

Some Beyblades have parts that allow the upper half to continue rotating after the bottom half has stopped; these are still considered to be spinning. If a Beyblade starts spinning again after it has stopped, the round does not resume.”

Dread Vertical is supposedly legal in the WBBA and WBO.  Is Dread Vertical not rolling on the stadium floor like tires rolling down the street? I am quite confused

That is a good point. Maybe the WBO should be looking at some of the rules of the WBBA and just copy them straight over? I do t know what the answer truly is.
(Sep. 10, 2021  7:55 PM)Shindog Wrote: Reset is a good idea. I guess my question is, should these potentially problem solving format(s) or even stadium(s) wait on a ranking reset? Is that the preference?

Honestly, I don't think one is needed for this reason. We don't reset the rankings when we add a new format, why should we reset them because we added new alternate, non-mandatory solutions for first stage? Don't get me wrong, it definitely sounds a bit "adapt or die", but the truth is if you plan on winning you have to prepare for Deck Format anyways in the long run. These new solutions generally sound like they'd play similarly and test mostly the same skills, so you're not really testing anything that you wouldn't need to begin with and may even help struggling bladers experience that same feeling.

Truth be told, I have to agree with what StayCool said above: the addition of new formats is more impactful towards tainting ranks than this is. As long as the rules are kept fair among all different first stage options, does it really matter if one host does P3C1 and the other sticks with the current 1v1? I really don't think it does, as long as their guests are aware of which they're going to be doing beforehand and can fairly prepare for it.

If anything I'm surprised each format doesn't have its own ranking board, given how different they are from each other. Burst Classic is a radically different game from Burst Standard, why is winning one earning us points for the other? If anything might create a reason to reset the boards, this would be it. Stadium choices feel a lot more similar to this as well, since different stadiums behave so differently (and having been bitten by the BB-10 twice now it's hard not to feel this way), and are a far bigger game changer than simply changing how many beys you throw into first stage decisions, but creating a ranking board for each legal stadium and format combination just feels like too much in the end.
I wanted to revisit this topic as we just had a local event with the 3v3/3G format. It was definitely the most fun I've had format wise for any tournament I've been to. I must admit that initially I view 3v3 as single bey format, just 3 choices, but it's not like that at all. Shindog shined some light on that for me and with the tournament today it really showed. There is a great deal of skill in the format, at least in the reshuffling phase. If you are down 2-1 you definitely want to strategize to give yourself the comeback win which happened a few times today.

I honestly haven't heard of anyone giving bad reviews for this format but I just wanted to add to the excitement and strategy incorporated in it. It definitely minimizes the draws as we took after DeceasedCrab method and just moved on after one draw. Its much more fun that way and things moved quickly. Creativity with combos was also a factor that I really enjoyed. It is a great alternative to single bey, which after playing 3v3 I must admit that it will be quite difficult to play single bey format in the future and truly enjoy it.

Overall I think 3v3 will be a major step in the right direction for the WBO first stage. Strategy and fun is what the game is all about.