UGH PARENTS. AND FAMILIES.

(Nov. 14, 2010  9:29 AM)BurnPisces97 Wrote: Every time my mom gets mad at me she pulls the " If you paid as much attention to ... as you did to beyblades you would ..." card. Pinching_eyes

hmm...thne you don't do that much else?<off topic
My mum & dad seem to enjoy them (apart from when I want to spend large sums of money on them), I do a couple of matches a day with them. My brother is to young to hate them too. All good here.
Parents aren't really a factor for me. (I'm 26, married and have a job.) I'm my years of experience (and many many mistakes) I've found that the keys to gaining familial acceptance of one's hobbies starts by putting things into perspective a bit and and demonstrating that it isn't the core focus of your life (again, one of my mistakes as a youth). Ultimately, long as you're able to own up to your responsibilities, what you do on your own time and with your own money is up to you.

Another part of it is just learning to let it slide; not everyone's gonna understand your interests. That's ok; everybody's got their own groove, so to speak. When you learn to let go of the need to be accepted, you find yourself in a better place. Just do your own thing and don't sweat it. Sure, it sucks and hurts right now knowing that many of the most important people in your life don't like what you do, but it's your life to live; not theirs. Again, as long as you've done what you needed to do: school, work, chores, etc; then it'll be ok. It's usually when you fail to live up to those that people start making things personal and blaming your tastes and preferences for your inability to live up to expectations. Don't give them a reason to do so.

Eventually in time it'll all pass. If you still love blading, you'll meet others that share the same passion (like on this forum, for example). Be confident; even if you have what some consider a strange hobby, not too many people will give you grief if you don't allow yourself to look like a victim.

Me; I've done it all. D&D; Warhammer, Comic Books, Anime (Watched a lot of Fist of the North Star and Mazinger Z). Got made fun of in school; family on my back; whole nine yards. What'd I do? I got older, grew up and didn't let it bother me anymore. Right now, I'm a high school history teacher who happens to play beyblade on occasion. Most of my kids are surprised, but I'm winning them over. Got a few who want to challenge me sometime too. Think I'll take them up on the challenge sometime.
Man you're awesome.
My dad says it is spinning and thats it but my mum is supportive and plays with me
My mum doesn't let me buy them, as she think's they're a waste of money!
So then how do you get them? Your father?
well my dad thinks it just spinning toys they are all the same...then i said "IF you dont play it then you dont know it" i said that because my dad always bring me down, and thinks hes the smartest in the family. My sis plays with me sometimes and her BF...her BF is awesome he's kinda like an older bro to me
(Nov. 14, 2010  10:46 AM)vash0006 Wrote: Text omitted due to length
As someone who recently organized a tournament just yesterday, I was able to talk to some of the parents of the competitors, and a large majority of them were very supportive of their child's hobby. As one father put it, "he does well in school, is well behaved; this is his hobby, I have to support it." (Paraphrased a bit, but you get the message.) The kids themselves were very spirited and well-behaved as well. But other than that, I wouldn't have been able to put it in better terms myself. It was my parents who allowed me be able to become exposed to Beyblades in the first place, parents who drove their kids several hours to be able to compete in Arizona's first Beyblade tournament, and parents that drove myself and my friend down to the venue just in time for the tournament to get started. Frankly, if it weren't for parents, none of it would have happened.

However, this was just given our particular circumstances. I suppose in the instances in which most of your parents are calling your Blades rubbish or a waste of money would come from the fact that your parents were brought up in families with a primarily utilitarian mindset. My parents came to the States in the first place so that my siblings and I could have nice things growing up; I wouldn't be able to say anything about anyone else's parents.

(On a slightly unrelated note, vash0006, do you have any advice for aspiring high school history teachers such as myself? You don't have to reply in this thread. Thanks.)
(Nov. 14, 2010  10:46 AM)vash0006 Wrote: Parents aren't really a factor for me. (I'm 26, married and have a job.) I'm my years of experience (and many many mistakes) I've found that the keys to gaining familial acceptance of one's hobbies starts by putting things into perspective a bit and and demonstrating that it isn't the core focus of your life (again, one of my mistakes as a youth). Ultimately, long as you're able to own up to your responsibilities, what you do on your own time and with your own money is up to you.

Another part of it is just learning to let it slide; not everyone's gonna understand your interests. That's ok; everybody's got their own groove, so to speak. When you learn to let go of the need to be accepted, you find yourself in a better place. Just do your own thing and don't sweat it. Sure, it sucks and hurts right now knowing that many of the most important people in your life don't like what you do, but it's your life to live; not theirs. Again, as long as you've done what you needed to do: school, work, chores, etc; then it'll be ok. It's usually when you fail to live up to those that people start making things personal and blaming your tastes and preferences for your inability to live up to expectations. Don't give them a reason to do so.

Eventually in time it'll all pass. If you still love blading, you'll meet others that share the same passion (like on this forum, for example). Be confident; even if you have what some consider a strange hobby, not too many people will give you grief if you don't allow yourself to look like a victim.

Me; I've done it all. D&D; Warhammer, Comic Books, Anime (Watched a lot of Fist of the North Star and Mazinger Z). Got made fun of in school; family on my back; whole nine yards. What'd I do? I got older, grew up and didn't let it bother me anymore. Right now, I'm a high school history teacher who happens to play beyblade on occasion. Most of my kids are surprised, but I'm winning them over. Got a few who want to challenge me sometime too. Think I'll take them up on the challenge sometime.

MY HERO Grin
My parents don't really care that I like Beyblade. They are perfectly fine with me liking it. (Even though I'm 14) The only person in my family that really hates Beyblade is my sister.
(Nov. 14, 2010  10:29 PM)Bey-Heart Wrote: My parents don't really care that I like Beyblade. They are perfectly fine with me liking it. (Even though I'm 14) The only person in my family that really hates Beyblade is my sister.

yah I'm 14 to and my parents don't care as long as fulfill my responsibilities and my 2 brothers like beys Grin
I don't quite live on my own yet or have a job, so I cannot afford to order Takara/Tomy brand Metal Fight Beyblades.
my parents are always wants to know about what are my addictions, when they learn more about this, they give me less alllowance, and more time to study Tongue_out ...
then, they won't let me buy a single bey so i have to wait for 3-_ days just to buy one...
You should just tell them there is worse things you can be doing like Doing drugs (Like brad said) but my parents are supportive. I'm 19 and My whole family plays them with me haha. My girlfriend practices with me and shes getting pretty good. My mom Battles with me all the time (She likes L-Drago the best because of the gold~) You just gotta be like Fine make fun of me all you want but I could be doing drugs.

and to be honest, just ignore them. Its your life, have fun.
(Nov. 14, 2010  8:58 AM)Master Wrote: Back on the forums <3 haha...

My parents aren't for it but aren't against it either, they just really don't want it to interfere with my education...
Sometimes we have a little family tournament at my house!

But my cousin's parents are COMPLETELY for it...Because My cousin(17) had a drug addiction(Tramadol/DXM) so I told him about beyblade, and he completely lost interest in drugs, and now is interested in becoming a physics professor at a university someday... XP
Success Story FTW!!!

Wow thats great !!!

A Friend came to my place to hang out we were chatting & then got bored then i showed him a video of beyblades & asked if he wanted to play , 1st he was like dude you spend your money on these things wow , are there any other surprises for me , then when he played it he was like , man lets do it again c'mon i will beat you & then we bladded for about 40-50 mins
Bey brad i know who you are u are the commentater in beyblade series 1
What?
Do you mean Blader DJ? Because there is a lot of speculation there.
bey brad with aj topper
(Nov. 16, 2010  3:46 PM)iBslick Wrote: You should just tell them there is worse things you can be doing like Doing drugs (Like brad said) but my parents are supportive. I'm 19 and My whole family plays them with me haha. My girlfriend practices with me and shes getting pretty good. My mom Battles with me all the time (She likes L-Drago the best because of the gold~) You just gotta be like Fine make fun of me all you want but I could be doing drugs.

and to be honest, just ignore them. Its your life, have fun.

in our school, bladers are usually younger than me and lower than my level (mostly, only 3 bladers in the sixth grade (which am included), then 5 fifth graders and finally 3-7 bladers in the third grade and lower) so my classmates will always tease me that am very childish since i play beyblade...

and some of my relatives likes to play beyblade with me, while for other relatives they say "don't play beyblade anymore! it's childish! you should playing fliptop (it's a rap battle game in the philippines) and playing more on video games! and finally...STUDY!!!!"

but anyway, i like ur opinion on what should i do...
(Nov. 17, 2010  10:03 PM)Team Taurus Wrote: bey brad with aj topper

hahaha

i think it was brad best (odd name)

actually the guy that voiced that character is a real news host for CityNews Toronto
yeh thats it brad best with aj topper
My family looks at me weird because i like beyblade. But i tell them its better then doing drugs or getting in trouble.
(Nov. 17, 2010  10:03 PM)Team Taurus Wrote: bey brad with aj topper

I Think you mean Brad Best right !!!!!
My uncle always bugs me when i show him a bey.I always show him the WBO website and telling him thousands of other people like Beyblade but he justs go"Heh, all of those people are nerds and why don't you get a hobbie?".I told him to not make fun of you guys and tell him to get a new hobbie instead of yelling at the TV when the Celtics are losing.My cousins like Beyblade and they're both girls,but they don't have a problem with it.My mom always says I need to get a new hobbie too.She always says that when I go looking for beys but I just ignore them and just say"Whatever.."