The State of the WBO.

Honestly, as a WBO staff member once pointed out and from my experiences, most of the problems could easily be prevented with consideration from normal users. For example, throughout the years, Ive grown to just leave heated-up conversations be. Instead of arguing back-and-forth endlessly, give your final opinion politely and turn off your device. Its much better than putting yourself in trouble for ganging up on users and creating drama. And try to take some time to see if someone had already asked the same question recently, so you dont accidentally annoy the entire thread. And thinking of a reply, try to make it much more meaningful than a stubby “lol.” And especially do not reply to bot-created advertisements — just report it and go

Yes, Im aware that all of these ideas are easier said than done. Its normal for anger to get the best of you and you always want to sound right. But really, its better to turn off your device for the timebeing to take the time to cool down. Its better to leave things be rather than creating more hassle for the mods to handle. I think we could try to put in 1% more consideration when posting
Yeah, I was thinking of making a similar thread like this a few weeks ago. Most of problems just come from new members not reading the rules (or just completely ignoring them), spam bots (which we should not post/reply to, and should instead report and wait for mods to take the post down). Also, I find that recently, more posts have questions that can EASILY be answered with opening a new tab/page and typing what you seek for in the search bar. Honestly, some of this stupidity makes me want to be a bit more inactive.

Solutions: Be logical and read the rules.

Thank you for listening to reading my Ted Talk post????
It sounds like a lot of you are unhappy with what has been posted on WBO, and you are unhappy with what has it become. The signal to noise ratio has become... bad. Well, that's forums for you. It's a medium generally unused in 2021 almost entirely. Young and old bladers don't understand how to communicate on it effectively, they're too used to Twitter and Facebook and Discord and other services. It's a dying platform type.

You have concerns about the moderation and rules enforcement, sure. Very few people do it, it's a thankless job, they're not paid for it, and they're expected to monitor both the forum and the Discord. So really, it just doesn't get done to the degree it needs to, if at all. And a lot of the small issues just get left alone, and it builds up to the point where it becomes normalized condoned behavior.

On the other hand, what do You intend to do about it? How will you take responsibility to make WBO a better place going forward? We know what the staff could do, and don't always. What about normal posters? What do we intend to do to fix things? if you're going to post this thread or participate in this thread, it can't all be "the staff should-" because they can't do everything.

I have some ideas on how you could "fix" WBO, and refocus on Beyblade discussion and tournaments. But people wouldn't like the ideas, and staff wouldn't go forward on them. But at the very least, you can save yourselves a lot of grief by just flicking the toggle on the Off-Topic subforums on the main page and effectively making those cease to exist for you. That might help. EDIT: No, it doesn't help. It still makes the threads from the "Your Creations" subforum appear under Latest Posts. Alas. Well, maybe I can whip something up with a userscript to just auto-hide that entire subforum.
i agree with a lot of the posts in here and to give my two cents i believe its mainly because of the quote on quote Negative Atmosphere on the WBO now and ive had that discussion with several people before. mainly a lot more people have became a bit more hostile and it sort of started this train of mini-modding (granted im guilty of this but im doing my best to cut back on it) and it can come off as rude to a lot of new members hence why im usually a lot nicer to newer members but of course im nice to just about everyone here so.... and about the Fanclubs thread, i do agree 100%! They were funny for a while but eventually as more people began changing their PFP to Ransou (now its JoJo Valt apparently) it began to get very very annoying and unfunny like harry, amane and rantaro, at this point, its way too tryhard and cringe to even be considered funny.

as some suggestions for potential rule changes/additions

1. No Mini-Modding as it completely defeats the purpose of having Staff Members in the first place
2. making the Community Rules a bit more easier to see (perhaps even giving it its own sub-forum in the Discuss worldbeyblade.org forum)
3. Perhaps more staff members? (i know we just got some but still)

i'll try to think of more later as ive got homework to do but i do hope staff at least looks over my suggestions and if they dont end up making the cut then i completely understand. ^_^

before i suffer into homework, i'll end off with this message. please just follow the rules, its not hard and at the end of the day: WBO is supposed to be a place where we can happily talk about beyblade, not get at each others throats 24/7.

idk how to end this ted talk so uh... see ya for now i guess?
I think the WBO can be fixed if the rules are easier to see. I mean come on, do you REALLY REALLY think people read the rules. Well, no. Some people who don't wanna get in trouble do. But you guys should make it when someone verifies, the rules pop up and they can't agree to the terms and conditions before 5 minutes of reading the rules. That will annoy people into eventually reading them. I also think it's too easy to bypass. I mean, you guys should make a strong bypass system. (Bypass= cuss using symbols and stuff) Another thing is the threads. People make threads even tho there's already a thread for it. You should have a pop up like "Oop! A similar thread has already been posted!" I also think the verify system should be stronger to prevent the b o t s. Because they can easily make their way in and post inappropriate stuff. Ik most people are over 13, but that's not everyone. What if a 9 year old gets in an extremely inappropriate thread? I also think the fan clubs are funny but unnecessary.
(May. 11, 2021  12:16 AM)TheGolden Blade Wrote: I think the WBO can be fixed if the rules are easier to see. I mean come on, do you REALLY REALLY think people read the rules. Well, no. Some people who don't wanna get in trouble do. But you guys should make it when someone verifies, the rules pop up and they can't agree to the terms and conditions before 5 minutes of reading the rules. That will annoy people into eventually reading them. I also think it's too easy to bypass. I mean, you guys should make a strong bypass system. (Bypass= cuss using symbols and stuff) Another thing is the threads. People make threads even tho there's already a thread for it. You should have a pop up like "Oop! A similar thread has already been posted!" I also think the verify system should be stronger to prevent the b o t s. Because they can easily make their way in and post inappropriate stuff. Ik most people are over 13, but that's not everyone. What if a 9 year old gets in an extremely inappropriate thread? I also think the fan clubs are funny but unnecessary.

i personally think the Pop-Up saying that "This thread already exists" is a bit much, its really not hard to search for an existing thread. which leads me to another thing: the search function should be made easier to find as well, like maybe at the top or close to middle of the main page.
(May. 10, 2021  11:41 PM)DeltaZakuro Wrote: i agree with a lot of the posts in here and to give my two cents i believe its mainly because of the quote on quote Negative Atmosphere on the WBO now and ive had that discussion with several people before. mainly a lot more people have became a bit more hostile and it sort of started this train of mini-modding (granted im guilty of this but im doing my best to cut back on it) and it can come off as rude to a lot of new members hence why im usually a lot nicer to newer members but of course im nice to just about everyone here so.... and about the Fanclubs thread, i do agree 100%! They were funny for a while but eventually as more people began changing their PFP to Ransou (now its JoJo Valt apparently) it began to get very very annoying and unfunny like harry, amane and rantaro, at this point, its way too tryhard and cringe to even be considered funny.

as some suggestions for potential rule changes/additions

1. No Mini-Modding as it completely defeats the purpose of having Staff Members in the first place
2. making the Community Rules a bit more easier to see (perhaps even giving it its own sub-forum in the Discuss worldbeyblade.org forum)
3. Perhaps more staff members? (i know we just got some but still)

i'll try to think of more later as ive got homework to do but i do hope staff at least looks over my suggestions and if they dont end up making the cut then i completely understand. ^_^

before i suffer into homework, i'll end off with this message. please just follow the rules, its not hard and at the end of the day: WBO is supposed to be a place where we can happily talk about beyblade, not get at each others throats 24/7.

idk how to end this ted talk so uh... see ya for now i guess?
Ay, another ted talk. Also, adding on to your point about making the rules more accessible. Maybe there could be an integration where after making an account, there is a pop up with the rules, and you have to check off a check box once you have read it. But, as this idea is to all the others, there are some flaws. People may just skip to check the box at the end. But, it may attract some attention rather than close to none.

Edit: I do remember getting a pm from a staff member when joining the WBO, it included a notice to read the rules. Do they still do that?
I won't bore everyone with more comments than are already in the thread but, as I think I've alluded to already onsite, we do have plans to roll out some sweeping changes to moderation across the site in the near future. We've just had to carefully plan our approach to this so we get this right the first time (and even then, we're still treading carefully to try not to go too far).

It is very true that moderation has become more difficult as time has gone by, and this is largely due to the userbase of the WBO dramatically decreasing in age (or mature age in some instances). I think I've said before, but a lot of the people who complain the most about the WBO being awful and moderation being bad are usually the main contributors of the issue; nobody needs to make hundreds of posts a week onsite, and that is far beyond what a forum exists for too. A forum is ultimately a message board, not your Discord/Skype/Messenger group chat that moves 1000+ messages a day.

A lot of our changes will be aimed that that, ultimately resulting in us taking a slightly more restrictive approach to moderation while still trying to ensure that discussion thrives. Some subforums will completely change (particularly the Off-Topic boards, which are not used the way we would like them to be), the way threads are created will change, and the number of posts a user can make a day will be capped to avoid unnecessary bloat across the site.

We're aware these will be slightly controversial, but we're also hoping that seeing the plans for this revamp written out in full will help people understand why we need to take the measures that we will. You don't have to like them, and we won't pretend to like some of them either (I'd say we'd all prefer to not change anything if we could honestly), but it has become essential for change to happen for the moderation team to actually have a life, and for us to enforce our expectations before they become an issue, rather than after.

I'll leave it at that for now to avoid spoiling anything. For now, all I can say is to stay tuned for more information soon, we have plans and we're committed to tackling the issue head-on!
Posting limits? hahahahahaha, ooooooeeeee I can't believe the users drove you to it. That's hilarious.

I mean, if you're gonna go that far you might even seriously just consider closing the off-topic subforums.
After reading some replies in this thread, I can see somewhat of a debate as to what can be considered as a good post or a bad post. I saw a valid point from strike gamer in the sense that "since the times are changing the WBO must also change" ( though he changed his stance later.)
This is an extremely valid point in my opinion which can be considered, and the answer boils down to what people's perception of the site is (and ultimately the owner's)

For me personally i feel the WBo is a place to have intelligent conversation unlike the discord( where I act quite immature for my age). This however is a subjective opinion and there is no clear cut "right" answer.

Also to mana and the other moderators, I respect the complicated manner of your job and I hope you do not take this thread in a negative manner, I just wanted to point out what I think is wrong.

Looking forward to the changes onsite.
I wouldn’t mind a possibly temporary post/day limit. It might make people think more about the quality of their posts, and abruptly end the day here for the others.
(May. 11, 2021  1:42 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Posting limits? hahahahahaha, ooooooeeeee I can't believe the users drove you to it. That's hilarious.

I mean, if you're gonna go that far you might even seriously just consider closing the off-topic subforums.

Reaction aside, I think it's just best to wait and see exactly what we mean by this before making presumptions Smile

There will be changes in both areas, but I don't think either are quite what you think they are (or at least, as bad as you think they are), haha.
My other two cents is that — and mainly based on my observations of other fandoms — yes, being a WBO staff is quite stressful. I noticed that the WBO side of the Beyblade fandom welcomes adults very warmly and most of the staff are adults. As such, they live in their adult lives and are frequently busy. They have a job with a wage and salary unlike their unpaid modding experience, and they also have other adult business to handle

Being a teenage mod awhile ago, its a lot more easier for me to come online. For the most part, I just finish my homework and chores and extras (which dont take up that much time compared to stuff adults do, Im pretty sure). Then I use the remaining time to look after a platform. Its pretty understandable for most of us young ones to call for more active mods, since we often quite dont understand or take in mind the adult experience. Its really easy to ask “Why cant the mods be more active? Shouldnt they be online to clean up the spam?” when we are teenagers and we dont remember 24/7 what adults experience

In the meantime, like I mentioned, we normal users should be more considerate when posting. Most of the problems are easily preventable. If we make the WBO a more meaningful place to discuss, then there would be no illusion that we need more mods or that they need to be more active. Most of the WBO mods are older teens and adults who have a lot more responsibilities than most of us, and modding this site shouldnt be a huge burden
You could always just split the forums entirely and have the off-topic/anime/manga subforums in one forum and the actual competitive play and tournament stuff in another. There's overlap on some of it, sure, but most people are generally here for one or the other.
(May. 10, 2021  11:40 PM)DeceasedCrab. Wrote: On the other hand, what do You intend to do about it? How will you take responsibility to make WBO a better place going forward? We know what the staff could do, and don't always. What about normal posters? What do we intend to do to fix things? if you're going to post this thread or participate in this thread, it can't all be "the staff should-" because they can't do everything.

Agreed Wholeheartedly; however when we try to ask other members to stop necroposting or posting redundant threads; they proceed to ignore our advice. I have also tried and have seen others trying; but there is a fine line between members "mini-modding" and being overbearing which has also happened. 

We also have no power in case people ignore us and continue to necropost and or post unnecessary things . I admit that people have lives outside the WBO and the staff is not free all the time to deal with what happens on the forum, but i really do not know what can be done apart from the fact that they need to make their presence felt. I know its a thankless and it requires a lot of patience.

I don't really see any easy solution with this. I suggest that we could promote the discord server heavily as well as make the rules more accessible, but i am not sure of the effectiveness of the latter.
(May. 11, 2021  1:52 AM)~Mana~ Wrote:
(May. 11, 2021  1:42 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Posting limits? hahahahahaha, ooooooeeeee I can't believe the users drove you to it. That's hilarious.

Reaction aside, I think it's just best to wait and see exactly what we mean by this before making presumptions Smile

There will be changes in both areas, but I don't think either are quite what you think they are (or at least, as bad as you think they are), haha.

I would like WBO to have this kinda thing where stupid posts are imediately deleted. Software, maybe. Posting limits won't be good, if that were going to happen, WBO would fall from it's popularity. Maybe Moderators should quickly suspend a lot of users who don't follow rules, to show that not following rules will result in temp-ban or ban.
The idea of a posting limit wont affect me — since I dont post as much — but Id also like to disagree with it. I think there are people on this site who are capable of having productive conversations. They can whip out 10 responses without them coming off as spam and needless. If they offer genuine and productive advice, feedback, contribution, etc., then I dont feel like they should be restricted. Its possible to be productive and a great forums contributor without a posting limit to keep you in check
(May. 11, 2021  4:58 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: The idea of a posting limit wont affect me — since I dont post as much — but Id also like to disagree with it. I think there are people on this site who are capable of having productive conversations. They can whip out 10 responses without them coming off as spam and needless. If they offer genuine and productive advice, feedback, contribution, etc., then I dont feel like they should be restricted. Its possible to be productive and a great forums contributor without a posting limit to keep you in check

Yes. Post restriction is a bad idea.
(May. 11, 2021  4:44 PM)Ryuga\s Son Wrote:
(May. 11, 2021  1:52 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: Reaction aside, I think it's just best to wait and see exactly what we mean by this before making presumptions Smile

I would like WBO to have this kinda thing where stupid posts are imediately deleted. Software, maybe. Posting limits won't be good, if that were going to happen, WBO would fall from it's popularity. Maybe Moderators should quickly suspend a lot of users who don't follow rules, to show that not following rules will result in temp-ban or ban.

The issue with this is that you can't expect Staff members to be able to respond that quickly; They have lives and aren't paid to do this.
I completely concur with posting limits, as that will (Hopefully) cause users to think "Is this worth using a post on?" before they post something. As for the popularity, forums are, as DeceasedCrab said, hardly used nowadays with the likes of Discord and Instagram surging in popularity.

The issue isn't the Staff not doing their jobs, it's that we users aren't doing ours. How is this the case, you ask? Well, here's an example.
Let's say a new user creates a thread in the wrong subforum, and said thread really doesn't need a whole topic anyways. Rather than being hostile and informing them to ask their question in the correct thread, we should answer their question to the best of our ability and then kindly let them know of the right place to ask.
Yeah, I don't think a post restriction is a good idea for everyone. But, it I think it could be implemented if someone is excessively spamming/not doing anything that moves a discussion forward. Furthermore, I don't think that if a post restriction is placed on a member, that it should last forever, maybe like 2 weeks or something. Like, I've seen people post more spam posts in their first week than I post in my entire time on this website. I think this method will be better because if you're not doing anything wrong, then you won't have the consequences of the post limiter. But if you do spam a lot, then it is a way to teach you not to spam. Also, temp bans might hurt people's feeling and ruin the image of this website for them. (Not saying that bans/temp bans are bad, but people seem to take temp bans very sensitively).
I have solutions
New people- Respond to their question KINDLY then KINDLY tell them the rules
We should have a specific thread that showcases the rules of the WBO

Spammers- Tell them what they were doing wrong, suspend their post limit to 50 posts per day for a week, then if they stop spamming afterward all good. If they continue spamming afterward, limit it to 25 posts per month, then after if they still don’t stop, ban them for 3 months, then eventually ban them entirely

Re-Used threads- Creators should design a pop-up where it says like “A similar thread has already been posted”
(May. 11, 2021  5:27 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I have solutions
New people- Respond to their question KINDLY then KINDLY tell them the rules
We should have a specific thread that showcases the rules of the WBO

Spammers- Tell them what they were doing wrong, suspend their post limit to 50 posts per day for a week, then if they stop spamming afterward all good. If they continue spamming afterward, limit it to 25 posts per month, then after if they still don’t stop, ban them for 3 months, then eventually ban them entirely

Re-Used threads- Creators should design a pop-up where it says like “A similar thread has already been posted”

50 posts a day, I think that would be too much maybe 20 at most. If I did 50 posts a day, I would reach my # of posts in 2 weeks. Spammers would gladly take that number.
(May. 11, 2021  12:28 AM)DeltaZakuro Wrote:
(May. 11, 2021  12:16 AM)TheGolden Blade Wrote: I think the WBO can be fixed if the rules are easier to see. I mean come on, do you REALLY REALLY think people read the rules. Well, no. Some people who don't wanna get in trouble do. But you guys should make it when someone verifies, the rules pop up and they can't agree to the terms and conditions before 5 minutes of reading the rules. That will annoy people into eventually reading them. I also think it's too easy to bypass. I mean, you guys should make a strong bypass system. (Bypass= cuss using symbols and stuff) Another thing is the threads. People make threads even tho there's already a thread for it. You should have a pop up like "Oop! A similar thread has already been posted!" I also think the verify system should be stronger to prevent the b o t s.  Because they can easily make their way in and post inappropriate stuff. Ik most people are over 13, but that's not everyone. What if a 9 year old gets in an extremely inappropriate thread? I also think the fan clubs are funny but unnecessary.

i personally think the Pop-Up saying that "This thread already exists" is a bit much, its really not hard to search for an existing thread. which leads me to another thing: the search function should be made easier to find as well, like maybe at the top or close to middle of the main page.

Some (98%) don't bother searching.
dont we already have a posting restriction? its called the all powerful tempban.

but in all honesty i agree, a posting limit is a terrible idea.
I think the reports should be read faster. Instead of the staff having to read them, can't they create a bot to help? I know it's said easier than done but it's a suggestion.