Testing all the special Burst launchers for average RPM

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, please notify me and I'll move it)
For those who might not be aware, B-64 and B-65 feature two new and exclusive Beylaunchers (Heavy and Speed) that are drastically different from the standard release Beylauncher. I'm going to be doing an RPM test on those two as well as the standard white Beylauncher, and the Sword launcher. I'll be doing this using a stamina type (since it'll be easier to read) and will use each launcher 3 times to get the data to create the average RPMs produced.
As we know, different launchers produce different RPMs which is translated to how much stamina a Bey will have before it stops spinning. Clearly the launcher with the highest RPM average would be the best launcher to use in a tournament as it will provide the best advantage. (Let us remember the 2012 world championship where TT had to give everyone a L/R Beylauncher to prevent power creep.)

I'll be providing the hard numbers as well as a few YT videos to keep authenticity. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to it.
Cool. Any chance you could test the Light Launchers too? Or is it too complex to do since they are winder-based?

I really look forward to the results even if I have an idea already hah.
I'm looking forward to these tests. Smile
this is going to be great. i'm expecting the speed launcher to have the highest RPM.
can't wait for the results.
Can't wait also for videos are you going to be uploading them to YouTube?
(Nov. 15, 2016  9:50 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Cool. Any chance you could test the Light Launchers too? Or is it too complex to do since they are winder-based?

I really look forward to the results even if I have an idea already hah.

(Nov. 15, 2016  9:52 PM)Basedsamuraij Wrote: How will you measure RPM?

Kai-V, I can do a light launcher since its 1 Bey I'll be using. The only launcher I can't do is the Long Winder as I don't own one.

Basedsamuraij, I'm using a digital laser photo Tachometer. I beam the laser at the spinning Bey and it will read an accurate RPM. To find the average of the 3 launches, I'll use basic algebra to find the average RPM.

Personally, I'm going to bet the new Speed Launcher will be the better launcher as it has a 65cm cord vs the 50cm standard Beylauncher. However, since the only reviews of the Heavy launcher are in Japanese, I really haven't found a reason behind the "Heavy". I'm going to assume it has a stronger spring, which may lead to more strength being required to use it, thus creating a more powerful launch that will make up for the 45cm cord.
Everything should arrive this Friday from the spectacular HLJ, so expect to see some kind of rough data by the 25th of November at the latest.
For anyone who wants to see the testing videos, my YouTube channel is Bdablader95.
Awesome! If you have both a single layer and a dual layer launcher,can you record the difference between those as well? The light launchers have been improved over time.
(Nov. 16, 2016  4:46 AM)Achi-baba Wrote: Awesome! If you have both a single layer and a dual layer launcher,can you record the difference between those as well? The light launchers have been improved over time.
I have no clue what those are Uncertain
If they're Hasbro, then no. I'm very anti-Hasbro and refuse to buy anything from them since TT's quality is top notch.
All basic ripcord launchers are called light launchers. The original(mostly white) ones jammed a lot, but when dual layers came out they(usually dark grey) are a lot smoother, and I think the newer ones are even smoother.
(Nov. 16, 2016  5:24 AM)Achi-baba Wrote: All basic ripcord launchers are called light launchers. The original(mostly white) ones jammed a lot, but when dual layers came out they(usually dark grey) are a lot smoother, and I think the newer ones are even smoother.
Ahh lol. Yes, as Kai-v asked, I will be testing the light launcher. I only have the Duel layer one however. I doubt that I'd test the white variant in the future since the Duel Layer version will be the standard unless they release a light launcher II with the 6 newly patented Burst Beys. If possible, if you have a white one you'd be willing to dissect for me, I can probably replicate the defects on a Duel Layer launcher perfectly.
Hm, the Long Winder+Light Launcher combination is the more relevant one. Nobody expects good RPM from the normal winder hah. It got released separately, perhaps you can still acquire it somewhere easily?
(Nov. 16, 2016  8:12 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Hm, the Long Winder+Light Launcher combination is the more relevant one. Nobody expects good RPM from the normal winder hah. It got released separately, perhaps you can still acquire it somewhere easily?

The fastest way to get it is State side for $15 vs the $7 tag on HLJ. I'm expecting this project to go through April 2017 since even more new launchers will be coming out. From all the videos I've seen, the Long Winder is only about 5 teeth longer that the standard light launcher. To be honest, I don't really qualify the Long Winder as a Specialty Launcher since its difference is so minor to the Light Launcher. I can do the average Light Launcher to get data vs the Sword Launcher, but the Long Winder? Not really worth it in my opinion. That said, I have no problem picking one up in the near future since I'll be testing the L Beylauncher from Lost Longinus .N.Sp.
Well, I have one unopened that I could sell you for as little as you would find reasonable. People here swear by the Long Winder, so I really think it is worth testing hahah. Nobody cares about the BeyLaunchers in comparison, except me.
(Nov. 16, 2016  9:46 AM)bdablader95 Wrote: To be honest, I don't really qualify the Long Winder as a Specialty Launcher since its difference is so minor to the Light Launcher.

I think anyone who uses the Long Winder would disagree. The difference is night and day.
(Nov. 16, 2016  2:56 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Well, I have one unopened that I could sell you for as little as you would find reasonable. People here swear by the Long Winder, so I really think it is worth testing hahah. Nobody cares about the BeyLaunchers in comparison, except me.

Lol I'll shoot you a PM in a little bit. Looks like my hands are tied.

(Nov. 16, 2016  3:44 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Nov. 16, 2016  9:46 AM)bdablader95 Wrote: To be honest, I don't really qualify the Long Winder as a Specialty Launcher since its difference is so minor to the Light Launcher.

I think anyone who uses the Long Winder would disagree. The difference is night and day.

I NEVER use rip cord launchers tbh, once a Beylauncher is out, its usually THE launcher to use. I was only planning on specialty launchers, but it looks like I'm doing the underdog too lol.
(Nov. 16, 2016  4:34 PM)bdablader95 Wrote: I NEVER use rip cord launchers tbh, once a Beylauncher is out, its usually THE launcher to use. I was only planning on specialty launchers, but it looks like I'm doing the underdog too lol.

At tournaments, I would say almost everyone is using a Long Winder. BeyLaunchers seem to have fallen out of favour with a large amount of players, although the Speed version might change things.

Whether the hypothetical power of the BeyLauncher is higher than the Long Winder + Light Launcher or not, in practical terms I can get way more out of the Light Launcher because I don't have to worry about running out of space to pull.
So for the sake of consistency you'll probably want to do more than 3 runs each. In general the more samples the better. Also unless you built a rig for it it's going to be really hard if not impossible to ensure you're pulling with the same force every time. I don't really have a suggestion for that but again more tests would even out the averages
(Nov. 16, 2016  10:51 PM)Takowowo Wrote: So for the sake of consistency you'll probably want to do more than 3 runs each. In general the more samples the better. Also unless you built a rig for it it's going to be really hard if not impossible to ensure you're pulling with the same force every time. I don't really have a suggestion for that but again more tests would even out the averages

3 is my golden number, however if things aren't consistent enough, I'll bump it to 5. As a guy who uses Beylaunchers almost exclusively, I can tell you that once you find its limit, it's easy to find and memorize its "sweet spot" to stop pulling at. (Usually its the last inch of unused cord.)

Brad, I think the Heavy and Speed Launchers have a good chance of being useful and surpass the long winder. My wildcard for this test is definitely the Heavy Launcher though.
My reason for originally avoiding the Long Winder is mostly because its a $7-15 Dragon Ripcord lol.

Regardless, I haven't been able to find any articles or meta analysis of the Burst format, so I'm not exactly up-to-date with what people are prefering to use. That said, I'll pick up Long winder this week as it appears the only US scalper has some honest competition that won't charge out the wazoo for Burst products. I won't have the Long winder data until it arrives however.

Edit: just ordered the Long Winder. Should arrive by next Friday.
Very interested to see how these turn out.
This sounds like a farce to me. Poor sample size, no experience with ripcords and an unreliable measuring system. Not impressed.
(Nov. 18, 2016  6:36 PM)Dracomageat Wrote: This sounds like a farce to me. Poor sample size, no experience with ripcords and an unreliable measuring system. Not impressed.

That is very harsh... Yes, statistically there are a few flaws in this proposal, but he is the only one who even has the ability to calculate RPM and he did offer to film a video to show his method. You can at least wait to see what that is or at least make more constructive criticism. People are already barely discussing Beyblade here outside of news, so this sort of response is really detrimental.
(Nov. 18, 2016  6:36 PM)Dracomageat Wrote: This sounds like a farce to me. Poor sample size, no experience with ripcords and an unreliable measuring system. Not impressed.

Yes there are several flaws, and no, I don't have a ton of experience with ripcords from Burst. I'd have more if someone would actually make a freaking list of the meta available so I'm not constantly in the dark about what people use. I'm in the middle FL, so it's not like I can just magically appear at every WBO tournament in the west coast to take notes and interviews. If I need data, I have to rely on film coverage and discussions. I'm doing this to help people out. Nobody wants to show up to a tournament with a light launcher when everyone else is using a Speed launcher.

All that I've found on the WBO is outdated MFB meta and discussions about Burst beys, but no actual records of what people are using in Burst tournaments. I can't make an affirmative assumption on anything Burst related until I get the numbers Uncertain

So yes Draco, I'm unprepared, but I'm offering what little free time I have between finishing my AA degree as a full time college student and working a full time job to at least try to help out the community. If you think you can do better, then please, by all means, enlighten us.

A laser tachometer is hardly "unreliable". It should be far more accurate than any other measuring system, barring a direct connection to the launcher gearing (which would need to have the input cut off exactly when the Beyblade disengages from the launcher to give accurate values).

(Nov. 18, 2016  7:27 PM)bdablader95 Wrote: I'd have more if someone would actually make a freaking list of the meta available so I'm not constantly in the dark about what people use. I'm in the middle FL, so it's not like I can just magically appear at every WBO tournament in the west coast to take notes and interviews. If I need data, I have to rely on film coverage and discussions. I'm doing this to help people out. Nobody wants to show up to a tournament with a light launcher when everyone else is using a Speed launcher.

All that I've found on the WBO is outdated MFB meta and discussions about Burst beys, but no actual records of what people are using in Burst tournaments. I can't make an affirmative assumption on anything Burst related until I get the numbers Uncertain

As for this, here's what's available for metagame information -

The Competitive Combos list for Burst (Still a WIP, OP is a little outdated)

Winning Combos list for tournament results and discussion

Burst tournament data archive, compiled results from the Winning Combos thread

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has been keeping detailed info on which launchers people use, but I can personally say that the Long Winder and even a regular Light Launcher seems to be more effective than the Beylauncher, at least for now.

The reason I think the ripcord-based launchers are more powerful at the moment is due to the gearing - a Beylauncher produces more rotations before reaching the end of the string, but it takes disproportionately more pulling distance to complete those rotations (if that makes sense). The gearing on the ripcord launchers produces higher launch rotational velocities at lower linear ripcord velocities, which makes it easier to reach higher RPMs. In MFB, the greater mass of most later Beyblades meant that even by the time the fast-geared LL2 and Zero-G ripcord launchers came out, the lower gearing on the Beylauncher was still still better for accelerating heavy Beyblades to higher speeds over a longer pulling distance. With Burst, masses are still relatively low, so Bladers end up hitting their maximum arm speed limits before they hit their maximum power limits. It's the same as if you're pulling a heavy trailer in a vehicle, you'll be spending more time in the lower gears to pull the extra mass, but if you're carrying less mass, you'll find yourself quickly redlining the engine instead, and you'll have to shift up.