TAKARA-TOMY announces new, third Beyblade generation: Beyblade Burst! ベイブレードバースト

This is awesome, but i will say i dont know how good the exploding gimmick will be, maybe they will try to make it so theres not as many luck wins as they make more blades for this system, but hopefully ill have money for the string launcher set when it comes out
(Apr. 15, 2015  2:43 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: I'm a little disappointed that they didn't wait a bit longer and develop something more innovative. Tops that fall apart after every battle sound like a pain to constantly be putting together.

I agree with this 100%, except I feel much more strongly about it.

I had been thinking a lot about jumping back into the game once Takara-Tomy launched its next iteration. But this breaking-apart gimmick is a complete dealbreaker. It's just unconscionably bad. Did the designer of this series ever play Beyblade before? Did they use Phantom Fox MS? Is there anyone who wanted this gimmick to spread to the entire game?

I don't know how I feel about the rest of the system either — in particular, this is a complete regression to the plastics formula of design. Attack Ring, Weight Disk, Blade Base. It's functionally identical (minus splitting in half). I think there could've been potential for a new series with plastic-based contact combat — while metal is more viscerally enjoyable, the intensity of the hits removes a lot of gameplay strategies — but it's wasted on this gimmick.

This is the death knell for Beyblade. At the very least, it's a horrible stain on the legacy of one of the most thoughtfully-designed toys of all time. But hey, at least the stadium looks cool.
I'm just trying to figure out how attack can even work successfully if a powerful collision could cause both of them to fall apart on contact. Launcher is pretty cool.
Once the Beyblades start coming out, we should definitely consider which, if any, old stadiums are legal for official play. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really want to buy a stadium that I could make by taping part of a Zero-G stadium to a BB-10.
Bey Brad, I understand your viewpoint, but I have to disagree. We still don't knew exactly how easy it will be to break these apart, and the presence of KO holes on the stadium indicates that the exploded gimmick isn't intended to be the only form of victory, or the result of EVERY match. Of course, outspins are still a possibility as well. I'm thinking "attack" Beys will be more attributed to blowing up the other Bey, but the other types like stamina and defense, may not necessarily use this gimmick to win matches.
That's a big assumption, and nothing about the design seems to indicate that. But even if you were correct, I don't think it would be a big improvement. The idea of the Beyblades splitting apart is just awful, and I'm pretty comfortable saying that considering my incredibly extensive history with the game.
(Apr. 15, 2015  4:42 PM)DRAGON KING Wrote: wow haha.

is ot just me or do u guys see plastics cameos? i see Seaborg, Knight Dranzer...
i also see Berserker Behemoth and Poison Serpent.

These look a little low quality (they remind me of knockoffs) compared to the previous generations .

BEYBLADE LIVES ON!

It looks like Battle Strikers, Top Plate and Infinity Nado blended in, I see Master Driger in Valkyrie and Dranzer S is like Ragnarok.
Just to quote the Beywiki article on Beyblade Burst and clarify that other types of wins are indeed still possible :

Beywiki Wrote:As the name of the series suggests, Beyblades from Beyblade Burst are meant to explode with the action of the BeyBattle. However, there are also traditional ways to win a battle:

• Spin Finish (outspin)
  • Over Finish (knock out)

Defeating a Beyblade by making its parts separate is called:

• Burst Finish
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:46 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: That's a big assumption, and nothing about the design seems to indicate that. But even if you were correct, I don't think it would be a big improvement. The idea of the Beyblades splitting apart is just awful, and I'm pretty comfortable saying that considering my incredibly extensive history with the game.

Why don't you like the idea? I'm just interested in knowing, because it honestly sounds pretty awesome in concept to me. I mean, unless your out in the open and losing parts, that is.
I think before jumping to conclusions, we need to see more game play and as Kai-V mentioned, there are the traditional ways to win.

We really need to see how fragile and how easily they explode before making serious judgements on it. We only saw one battle.

I agree with UGottaCetus, to me it sounds like a fun new addition to the game. I think seeing what TT has done in the past we need to have some more faith before diminishing this.
Yeah, but that's just a physical inevitability. It's not the core gameplay, and that's the problem. I've often said that Beyblade is roughly 75% skill and 25% luck; I would say this new system is likely to flip that around.
I'm guessing Striker and Attack types are different? Striker could be to explode the beyblade and Attack is for K.O? Just an assumption.
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:53 PM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: I'm guessing Striker and Attack types are different? Striker could be to explode the beyblade and Attack is for K.O? Just an assumption.

No, Striker is the new name, in Beyblade Burst, for Attack types. As the colours in the countdown teaser indicate, there are still only four Beyblade types. Unless something else comes later, but that would be unexpected.
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:53 PM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: I'm guessing Striker and Attack types are different? Striker could be to explode the beyblade and Attack is for K.O? Just an assumption.

Striker IS Attack-type. It's a new term.
maybe, and just maybe the explode gimmick can be optional, so it doesn't have to explode.
also will these new blades be cross-compatible with the mfb generation.
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:59 PM)username786 Wrote: maybe, and just maybe the explode gimmick can be optional, so it doesn't have to explode.
also will these new blades be cross-compatible with the mfb generation.

no and no
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:52 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Yeah, but that's just a physical inevitability. It's not the core gameplay, and that's the problem. I've often said that Beyblade is roughly 75% skill and 25% luck; I would say this new system is likely to flip that around.

I understand and agree that that would indeed, suck if it were the case. think we should just wait it out and hope for the best.

BTW; Check out my new avatar! Tongue_out_wink
(Apr. 15, 2015  2:43 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: I'm a little disappointed that they didn't wait a bit longer and develop something more innovative. Tops that fall apart after every battle sound like a pain to constantly be putting together.
Judging by the few pictures we've seen, I'm not a hudge fan of the aesthetics.
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:08 PM)Kai-V Wrote: The exploding gimmick definitely makes it sound like Beyblade will have another luck percentage added to it ...
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:29 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I had been thinking a lot about jumping back into the game once Takara-Tomy launched its next iteration. But this breaking-apart gimmick is a complete dealbreaker. It's just unconscionably bad. Did the designer of this series ever play Beyblade before? Did they use Phantom Fox MS? Is there anyone who wanted this gimmick to spread to the entire game?
(Apr. 15, 2015  5:52 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Yeah, but that's just a physical inevitability. It's not the core gameplay, and that's the problem. I've often said that Beyblade is roughly 75% skill and 25% luck; I would say this new system is likely to flip that around.

I completely agree with you three. I´m quite disappointed as well. The design is horrible, like some wannabe plastics (OK, I have to admit, this is a matter of taste) and - which is much worse - with this new series beyblade has become gambling. Of course, there has always been a certain amount of luck - like in every game - but still, it were your combo and launching technique that mattered the most. Now you win practically only because of luck... I feel like my favourite game has now lost its instructive, maybe scientific character, that made it more than only a kid´s spinning top game... Unhappy
I really think people need to give it a chance before assuming what's going to happen with game play. There are designated ways to win and only one is burst. Knowing how well TT has done, I really think we need to wait and see before condemning this within 24 hours.
I know that, but I was hoping there was two types of attack, I think Striker type sounds cool, but the exploding concept is... eh, stupid, but kinda cool.
We should definitely give it a chance by trying it out first, hah. Plus, TAKARA-TOMY always creates series with the poorest parts first and they keep releasing new parts that are stronger to make you have to buy the new products constantly. So, chances are "Bursts" will be barely possible in one or two years, hah. Or TAKARA-TOMY could always take a hint and subtly change the series at some point, reinvent what a burst is, add fireworks.
(Apr. 15, 2015  6:12 PM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: I know that, but I was hoping there was two types of attack, I think Striker type sounds cool, but the exploding concept is... eh, stupid, but kinda cool.

I coouldn´t have said it any better. Joyful_2 For small kids it might be cool, but for adults it might be completely paling.
Well I use to dislike Zero G and it's weird ideas but I like it now, and I can tell this is the same, I hope. I want these things though, they're awesome looking.
Well the things look great, so if they do suck, they can make awesome paper weights lol....
I don't find it unfair to come to preliminary conclusions based on what TT has revealed so far. Otherwise, why not just lock the topic? Any optimistic takes are equally premature.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll own up to it then.
I do think you can come to the conclusion that this system isnt as skill based but i think we should start really criticizing the blades once we figure out the characteristics of the parts and see how certain combinations work, but i think a problem that i have with this system is the amount of customization, it seems like the blades are too simple, the designs are cool but it seems like itll be impossible to have a large variety without making a lot of different blades as a whole instead of having certain blades use parts differently