String Launcher or Long Winder or Sword Launcher

Poll: Only vote if you have experience with both

String
36.36%
Long Winder
63.64%
Total: 100% 110 vote(s)
"Better" is opinionated: clearly the actual scientific facts indicate that it is not better than the BeyLauncher, plus the latter is easier to stabilise for launch and does not wear down any winder entrance or skip, which actually a lot of Light Launchers end up doing. Good thing if the orange one is fixed somehow, but it happened a lot. The blue one skips considerably as well, so you are just lucky if yours has been OK for five months.
There are different molds and my blue on happened to be the mold that all the orange ones are (even better than the orange ones actually, because at a certain speed the oranges ones skip, but the blue one just never does no matter how fast one pulls). @[Time] has seen my launchers at AN and I'm certain he can confirm they did not work like ordinary launchers.

Now with the orange ones out I really don't think breakage will be an issue as long as you never crank your light launcher.

Also I feel like science is wrong this time. It's impossible to get the same speeds with string launchers compared to long winder. Times chart is accurate in that sense. Long winder just goes above and beyond and if you can reach that above and beyond then string launcher will seem like rubbish to you, which is why I said to try out both because obviously not everyone can reach that above and beyond.
What if you guys also have not reached the above and beyond of the BeyLauncher, on the contrary hah?
(Jul. 15, 2016  5:34 PM)Kai-V Wrote: What if you guys also have not reached the above and beyond of the BeyLauncher, on the contrary hah?

I don't think it would be controversial to say that 1234beyblade has the strongest BeyLauncher launch on this forum (that we've seen, anyway).
Haha, I consider myself to have reach that point which is why I can safely say what I just did about the long winder.
That may be so but every fact points to at least hidden potential in the BeyLauncher since TAKARA-TOMY made it and markets it as the strongest launcher and its prongs litterally give more revolutions.
(Jul. 15, 2016  5:45 PM)Kai-V Wrote: That may be so but every fact points to at least hidden potential in the BeyLauncher since TAKARA-TOMY made it and markets it as the strongest launcher and its prongs litterally give more revolutions.

Takara-Tomy markets Ragnaruk as a Stamina-type Layer ... we've never cared about TT's stats when it comes to parts, so why should we care when it comes to launchers?

Whether or not the BeyLauncher has higher technical potential is irrelevant if nobody can actually manifest it. The Light Launcher + Long Winder gives way more control, is more comfortable to use and, because you don't have to worry about releasing the string, makes it way easier to pull at full power.

The spin times you posted don't show any real difference between the BeyLauncher or the Light Launcher + Long Winder, either.
That's like saying because Sharp has the most stars for stamina means it's the best tip for stamina types. I really don't think Takara-Tomy is something we should rely on because their calculations are usually... off.

I don't know how to reply to the revolutions because I honestly never considered those in burst. I really think it has to do with the weight of the beys tbh. My 100 gram burst bey spins a lot better with a string launcher vs a long launcher. So string launcher might have more power in the sense that it can handle heavier beys.

I wish I knew how this actually works but i strongly believe that's why long winders are better in burst (imo obviously) than string launchers. Same thing happened with plastics. If you put the plastics prongs on an MFB String Launcher you don't get as powerful launches as you would with EZ launcher + Neo Winder, but you would expect the modded string launcher to give you as much power as it would with an MFB bey. @[Zoroaste] brought up this theory first so maybe he knows more about it than me.
(Jul. 15, 2016  5:50 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: The spin times you posted don't show any real difference between the BeyLauncher or the Light Launcher + Long Winder, either.

Exactly. I am not advocating that the BeyLauncher is better, but that the Long Winder is not better.
What string launcher are you using Kai-V? At every single event we've had here and even my testing at home the long wider is completely superior to the string launcher. Also, the blue light launcher that comes with the long winder has never failed on me or anything of the people at our events, and I've used the same light launcher for 3 events. Not to mention I have 2 and they both perform the same, so unless they're both some obscure mold neither skip and work flawlessly.
My blue Light Launcher really sucks. I feel like everyone else loves theirs, though.
(Jul. 15, 2016  5:29 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: There are different molds and my blue on happened to be the mold that all the orange ones are (even better than the orange ones actually, because at a certain speed the oranges ones skip, but the blue one just never does no matter how fast one pulls). @[Time] has seen my launchers at AN and I'm certain he can confirm they did not work like ordinary launchers.

Now with the orange ones out I really don't think breakage will be an issue as long as you never crank your light launcher.

Also I feel like science is wrong this time. It's impossible to get the same speeds with string launchers compared to long winder. Times chart is accurate in that sense. Long winder just goes above and beyond and if you can reach that above and beyond then string launcher will seem like rubbish to you, which is why I said to try out both because obviously not everyone can reach that above and beyond.

1234beyblade is 100% correct. I've used probably 50 different burst launchers and I've never experienced anything as smooth as his. Everyone who was there knows that 1234 and I have arguably the two strongest launches among regular players. I would estimate that using his long winder & launcher I gained somewhere around 20% launch power. My biggest complaint against burst launchers has been that I was yet to find any that really felt like they worked the way they were meant to, 1234 has two that most certainly do. The smoothness in the launch and the resistance felt are exactly how I'd want them to be.

@[Kai-V] thanks for the info

edit: @[*Ginga*] Can confirm my utter astonishment when I used 1234's launcher for the first time, it was head over heels better than anything else I've used and I now believe this is the standard in the orange launcher + long winder?
(Jul. 15, 2016  7:34 PM)Thunder Dome Wrote: What string launcher are you using Kai-V? At every single event we've had here and even my testing at home the long wider is completely superior to the string launcher. Also, the blue light launcher that comes with the long winder has never failed on me or anything of the people at our events, and I've used the same light launcher for 3 events. Not to mention I have 2 and they both perform the same, so unless they're both some obscure mold neither skip and work flawlessly.

Apparently there are indeed obscure moulds that are perfect.

I am now using a red BeyLauncher, from the single release.
(Jul. 15, 2016  5:56 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: I don't know how to reply to the revolutions because I honestly never considered those in burst. I really think it has to do with the weight of the beys tbh. My 100 gram burst bey spins a lot better with a string launcher vs a long launcher. So string launcher might have more power in the sense that it can handle heavier beys.

I noticed something similar in MFB too. I was playing with STD and LTD combo, I noticed LTD were much harder for me to launch with Beylauncher then with that Light Launcher [especially with Beylauncher L]. IDK how to describe it but it's like when you launch lighter beys with Beylauncher. the mechanism which pulls string inside, pulls back string when you pull string which makes you need to pull with more force. I'm not sure abt why BL launches Heavier Beys better but I assume it's due in BL that string spins gear box and it spins gear that is attached to prongs while on LL you have to spin the gear which have prong directly using Winder, I mean in BL it's like 2 stage to spin bey [string spins gear box and gear box spins prongs] which may make it easier to launch heavier beys compared to on LL you have spin prongs directly.

anyways I'm with Light Launcher + Long Winder [if Sword Launcher is comfortable then it will be my first choice Smile

sorry for bad english
When I get my Sword Launcher I'll post some of my own time trials here.
So I went ahead and did some solo spin times of my own by comparison. The combo I used was Deathscyther Spread Survive, and while none of the parts have perfect balance I found the Spread and Survive that moved the least when launched at full power.

Purple Wyvern String Launcher:
  • 1:43.20
  • 2:06.37
  • 1:45.26
  • 1:39.32
  • 2:10.39
  • 1:47.58
  • 1:59.84
  • 2:03.57
  • 1:47.30
  • 2:08.62
  • 1:45.75
  • 1:49.43
  • Mean: 1:53.69

Light Launcher + Long Winder from the Unicorn Set:
  • 1:53.16
  • 1:50.95
  • 2:20.66
  • 2:01.64
  • 1:56.33
  • 2:15.42
  • 1:27.58
  • 2:09.94
  • 2:01.19
  • 2:07.69
  • 2:12.31
  • 2:11.73
  • Mean: 2:04.03

No Sword Launcher yet, but the results I got here seem to echo what I said several months ago about the Long Winder beating the String Launcher by about 10 seconds.

I also stand by what I said earlier about the Long Winder being better for raw power, but the String Launcher having more controllability (though I might have just not practiced the Sliding Shoot with the Long Winder enough. I've tried it a few times and find the String Launcher better for aiming and controlling RPM to minimize self-bursting). If you go through the AN footage you'll notice I use the Long Winder for my Revolve combo and Valkyrie Armed Claw, while I change to the String Launcher when I use KO Attack.

While I can't say for sure whether there are actually different molds to the Light Launcher since I've never opened one up I do know that Takara-Tomy fixed all of the skipping issues that it had long ago with the initial release of Deathscyther. Everyone says that the new orange Light Launcher is the best one yet, but it seems like Stormscorpio1 got a defective one. My blue Light Launcher has never skipped for me, so it's possible that Kai-V may have a defective blue Light Launcher.

1234beyblade and FIREFIRE also brought up that same point about the weight of the Beyblades that I mentioned earlier. The lighter Plastics and HMS Beyblades get much more powerful launches with the Light Launcher than with a String Launcher (or in the case of Plastics, some String Launcher mod with Plastics prongs), while the generally heavier MFB almost always prefer the String Launcher.
Ah, and you are using a purple BeyLauncher, which is not really flawless either in my experience hah.
(Jul. 15, 2016  9:39 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Ah, and you are using a purple BeyLauncher, which is not really flawless either in my experience hah.

This habit of generalizing everything worries me. Lots of people love their clear blue Light Launcher. Mine sucks, but that's just the reality of manufacturing variances.

Wombat, it took me a long time to adjust to using the Light Launcher after getting used to the BeyLauncher, but keep at it! I find it more controllable now.
My light launcher that came with my Wild Wyvern Vertical Orbit already skipped when I launched with it for the first time.
Well exactly, we cannot generalise and say that x product is bad, but we also cannot generalise on the other side and say that x product is good.
(Jul. 15, 2016  11:10 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Well exactly, we cannot generalise and say that x product is bad, but we also cannot generalise on the other side and say that x product is good.

No, but we can draw conclusions based on what we know. We can tell a good launcher from a bad one and contextualize the information that way.
Yeah I definitely agree that the long winder is better. I don't know why, it just is. The string launcher is probably better for heavier beys because they hold inertia better and it is faster out of the gate, that is the only thing I can think of when it comes to that. Just a guess though. I don't really care about the why, I just care about the what.
The orange launcher seems to be the best yet, on average. Unfortunately, like everything beyblade, there is still much manufacturing variation, so you aren't always going to get a good one. I have 6 orange launchers. 2 of them are god tier, 2 are really good and 2 are ok
I don't think this is a matter of opinion, I think it is what works better for each person. But if that person can maximize the potential of them both, then the long winder will give them more powerful launches.
I honestly think that the long winder is also easier to get more power, on average. Maybe not for some, but I think for probably most, given enough practice. I had to practice for a while and really commit to get it to give me faster launches with the beylauncher. If it weren't for top players telling me it was definitely better then I would still probably be beylaunching. I have put in hours, just power launching. Making sure I can stand up to anyone (if i can ever get to an event again, haha). It sucks for all my practice now that the playing field has been leveled in this way, but better for the community and the game itself imo. Just to be clear, it was still way less time than it took me to be top tier with the beylauncher, so I am not contradicting myself when I say that it took a while for me to beat my beylauncher shots, but at the same time it is easier to be top tier with it in general.
I haven't had time to practice a whole lot with the sword launcher yet, but it seems even faster than the long winder. It also seems easier still to get that power, if you just change your pull a little bit. I think this will level the playing field even further, and enable even more people to be able to get top tier power into their launches
The only thing with the Sword Launcher though is that it has a lot more resistance when pulling the winder out. Some people like this (I do), some people don't. And for some people they don't like it because even though the launcher is more powerful, it feels harder to launch. There was comments like this-from people trying it for the first time, mind you-at the Toronto event today. So, I don't know if it will necessarily make it easier for everybody to get "top tier power" in their launches.
But you do not even necessarily need to pull out half as quickly as with a Long Winder or a BeyLauncher to get powerful launches. Therefore, all your strength goes into pulling, instead of the speed.
I actually prefer the Sword Launcher for stationary combos, then revert to the Long Winder for mobile combos. It's difficult and awkward for me to bank with the Sword Launcher, let alone Sliding Shoot, so I use it to get max power for stamina/defense combos. With my Long Winder + Launcher Grip setup, I can get a good bank and use Sliding Shoot sometimes.

I rarely use the Beylauncher because I always feel as though it can break on me at any time. I instinctively launch weaker with it to prevent any breaks, so I can't really max it out unless I try really hard, lol. Also, I just feel like I get more power and accuracy with the Long Winder.