State of the WBO

I think this belongs here but i apoligise.

I made a thread a while ago about unbanning the TA staduim and using it with MFB. Basically, one of the reasons is this
Metal Fight Beyblade is only supposed to be used with Metal Fight Beyblade equipment, that is final, that is what TAKARA-TOMY has been deciding from the start. The series are not even supposed to be related to each other in any way.
Basically, it says we are the unofficial sanctioning body of beyblade, what takara does, we dont neccicerily have to, if we are the unofficial sanctioning body of beyblade why do we have to do this, again I apoligise if this doesn't necciserily belong here.
I don't think that belongs here at all ... the answer given was comprehensive enough, anyway. Surely it makes sense to use equipment from the same generation, regardless of what Takara says or doesn't say? If you want to continue this discussion, please post it elsewhere because this isn't really what this thread is about.
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct thread to post this in, I'm just going with my instinct as it seems it's the right place and I'm also not 100% sure that it hasn't been posted already but I'm not going to go through seven page's worth of posts to check if it has.

I don't understand why some people here (It seems like those people all post in this thread quite a bit), always have to write 'Reported.' at the end of their post in a spam/rule-breaking thread. Imagine you are a new member who mistakenly posts a thread in the wrong place and get's bombarded with messages telling them they have been reported. What kind of impression do you think they will receive?
Yup, that was discussed. Frankly, unless you're going to politely explain WHY it was reported, then one should not post.
I did that earlier today, and tbh I probably shouldn't have said it the way I did. :\ And yes it was discussed here for a while.
Is it just me, or are the quality of posts a whole lot better than a year ago? (I say a year because that's when I joined)

It could be that I don't see the deleted posts, but I don't see "lol!", and one word comments anymore. I honestly see more well thought out posts than I see spam.
(Sep. 19, 2011  12:53 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Is it just me, or are the quality of posts a whole lot better than a year ago? (I say a year because that's when I joined)

It could be that I don't see the deleted posts, but I don't see "lol!", and one word comments anymore. I honestly see more well thought out posts than I see spam.

I would say that it's because we have more competent members than a year ago, but I've only been here since May, and to he honest, we have a TON of incompetent members.

I'd also like to say that the rules have been enforced more, but why would the committee/moderators enforce them more now than before?
(Sep. 19, 2011  12:57 AM)Kaiba Hiwatari Wrote: I'd also like to say that the rules have been enforced more, but why would the committee/moderators enforce them more now than before?
Considering how much the amount of members has increased, it would make sense.

(Sep. 19, 2011  12:57 AM)Kaiba Hiwatari Wrote: I'd also like to say that the rules have been enforced more, but why would the committee/moderators enforce them more now than before?

When I joined there were 15 000 members.

There's 53 000 now.

Mystery Solved
(Sep. 19, 2011  12:59 AM)CRUelty Wrote:
Considering how much the amount of members has increased, it would make sense.

Ah, never saw it that way. That could be the case. With over 50k members, that makes more sense than I thought it did.
So that also means we're good as far as staff goes? Do we really need more for the YC forums? I say yes. Sure, the posts have improved, but I still see a lot of bad stories and things wrong in that forum. Maybe splitting it into 2 different forums, or adding a moderator for it would help. Possibly someone like Th!nk or Rai, people that hate SPAM. Or people like Temporal and Dei, who are avid writers and deserve that kind of position.
The problem with that Sparta is the Your Creations forum is just that. You can't really close a story if it's bad or not because it is still 'their creation'. It isn't called 'your good creations' as not all peoples' creations are good. It is a problem that can't really be solved as it is still suits the forum.

Maybe we should stickie a thread for "Standards of the Your Creations" to show what we expect and if there is anything way below our standards it can be closed or even warned. But we won't be able to enforce that without something like that.
(Sep. 19, 2011  3:01 AM)Sparta Wrote: So that also means we're good as far as staff goes? Do we really need more for the YC forums? I say yes. Sure, the posts have improved, but I still see a lot of bad stories and things wrong in that forum. Maybe splitting it into 2 different forums, or adding a moderator for it would help. Possibly someone like Th!nk or Rai, people that hate SPAM. Or people like Temporal and Dei, who are avid writers and deserve that kind of position.
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-WBO-Writing-Help-It
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-The-Stat...um-Help-it

Speaking of spam, why the hell do you need to use THREE topics to discuss this? If you want to whine about the off topic forums, there are two other threads specifically for that.

Honestly, that forum is toxic. I am not volunteering to moderate that forum specifically.
Sorry Dei, it's just my main concern right now as I don't really post in other forums. If it makes sense we can close those and redirect the readers to here, but my point still stands.

Anyways, on to another topic then. Um...Ah! The customizations forum. I think we can all agree we've seen a lot of new members make threads for their own customs and we have to close it (Or the mods, rather Uncertain). Maybe we can add something to the OP when they first try to make it, like in here? How it says "This is for WBO stuff, not beyblades stuff" we could put that in there...
I agree with you about the customization forum Sparta but not for the same reason as you do.

I have noticed recently that everytime somebody makes a thread for a new combo people have been acting rudely towards the combo maker here are some examples: while compared to the older threads: I mean sometimes they get flamed for the right reasons but lately it has just been for no reason IMO.
I was actually referring to the threads where people ask others to make them combos, then get forcefully redirected to the "Build me a combo!" thread. However, you bring up a strong point. People on here just seem more...hostile? Instead of this being a loving happy community, it feels more like a shark tank where you're kinda worried about people ranting on you or making you seem pathetic because of your opinion. Too over-eggagerated? Maybe. Still, I don't like it when I see people get mad at others because they wanted to express their opinion. Hell, there have been times where I said something like "I don't like that idea" and I'm immediately countered by "Are you kidding? Stop being a stupid person, it's a great idea." Even if they say something obvious, try not to be forceful and simply point out that it's already been discussed or you don't agree.
I would agree that the general level of civility is less than we could hope for. But until people start being publicly warned or cautioned for their hostile posts more frequently, the culture here will likely remain right about where we see it today.

I say publicly, because while private warnings serve as a deterrent mainly just to to that individual, public warnings deter other members before they transgress themselves. Also, bear in mind that to a younger member the subtle game of post and riposte (lol) is far less noticeable or appealing than artlessly flaming someone with no holds barred.

We even allow code to encourage bad behavior ... Iceburn ... Look familiar?

I also say more frequently, because there are probably a thousand things I don't know about the way the mods help maintain decorum in the forums that I would appreciate, and I do see the mods posting at times in the way I suggest. I just think that more of it might be helpful.
One half of it is an issue of the sheer number of posts to cycle through every day - it's a busy time of year for a lot of people. Hiring more moderators could help, but again, still - not necessarily. Moreover, some decisions are just tough calls.

The other half(and arguably - possibly even mathematically contradictory - bigger half) is that the examples being set are not frequently respectful enough, so the leash gets a little loose. Every member here, most especially the older ones, should be trying to be a mentor, an advisor, and a respectful older sibling-esque role model for all of the younger members, and even their peers and elders, if need be.

People taking things personally, dragging behind-the-scenes issues out in to the public, not really taking the time to think before posting comments in response to things they find displeasing or disagreeable, etc. are the biggest issues afoot - and we will never completely solve them. I'm seeing people disagreeing, or being disagreed with, and taking it the wrong way and making a fuss about it, instead of responding in a calm, level-headed manner, with respect to the other person's opinion.

Making examples of people will work to a certain degree - but, have we not already made examples of disruptive posters? In fact, this very thread contains such examples - obviously I don't really need to throw names around.

Public discouragement/warnings/callings-out can be the better solution, but only if handled very tactfully, and respectfully, with informative reasons given, rather than short and simple "you did this and you suck because of it". Obviously the administration is not likely to be guilty of this habit, but we do have some posters that are.

Civility is the offspring of Respect.
I agree with Hazel. If we need to tell someone that a thread sucks, do so nicely. Try to explain WHY. Otherwise, let the mods handle it, and just don't post. Now, if someone snaps, just report it and leave it be. Arguments are a waste of time. (Yeah, yeah, I know I get into them sometimes. But I'm trying to change.)
I have a theory as to why people act this way, but it's cheesy. Should I say it anyways?

I believe that most of the people who are on here are, per say, nerds. Now, that's nothing offensive! And I'm just generalizing, but I believe that not many "cool" kids (Teens, anyways) go on here as much. Therefore, maybe there is something here that people feel. Like they can hide behind a computer screen, so all of a sudden the nerd (Or whomever) becomes the bully-if you get my drift. On here, no one knows who someone really is; like, people are sometimes seen asking who someones gender is. They have no other way of knowing (Let's just put profiles to the side; I don't think anyone really checks those much anyways...) that person. Therefore, a lower class person can become a moderator or even higher on here. It's a way for them to vent-without anyone really being able to retaliate. If they don't like how people are responding, they turn off the computer. Kicked off of the forum? Fine, I guess they can go find another one if they wanted.

I had an idea at the beginning but stretched it. Did I go to far...?
no I think thats generally ok, I mean i'm not a nerd, but I know people who are kind of and they say they are, and on the computer they act different.
Actually, that's a pretty valid point. Online anonymity is something which is rampant across the Internet, but there's honestly not much which can be done about it to be honest.
(Sep. 21, 2011  7:57 PM)♥ Wrote: Actually, that's a pretty valid point. Online anonymity is something which is rampant across the Internet, but there's honestly not much which can be done about it to be honest.

There's quite a lot that can be done about it, actually. Ego-crushing is not difficult, and publically calling out offenders is really a potent solution.

As I mentioned in my most recent post(aside from this one) here, it's all in how you handle it. Ultimately, someone taking anonymity to a point of detestable form will either ease up/calm down after being called out, or go full delinquent - in which case, there are much more viable, permanent solutions.

We have had several users in this thread go both ways with it - many, such as Raigeko13, Temporal, Sparta, etc. have used this thread as an incentive to become a better poster, and contribute more, in a more respectful manner. Others, such as Bluezee, flew off the handle and verbally defecated on people for calling him out. It's in the best interests of the community that people who will explode be made to, in order to prevent larger issues from occurring later down the line.

You can still discipline/reprimand while being respectful and well-spoken. Most people will respond more positively to it, while others will require a rougher approach - this is why there's a time for talk, and a time for warnings and chainletters.
also @ sparta, i'm not a nerd, i'm a geek! lol but I really do think that it's the way that you are on a forum determines how the forum goes. for example, i'm kind to people, so people are kind back, if someone starts an argument and it gets worse other people join in. and it grows like that, tainting the forums name. Also I think popularity is another thing.when I was unpopular on the forum, by unpopular I mean not known, I used to try and act cool on the thread, but now that alot of people like me and i'm alot more humble and don't think i'm the best people respect you more.
Yes, absolutely; I totally agree with pretty much all the points you've made.

Apologies if the post appeared to imply that we are just going to rest on our laurels; what I'm saying is that the problem will pretty much always exist. Every single time we gain a new member, they're a potentially disruptive member. Unfortunately, this is just one of the inconveniences of any community.

However, there is one thing. I don't think it's particularly constructive to detract from a thread to call someone out. If there is a problem, it should be reported and a member of staff will step in. Obviously this might not be applicable all the time, but it's something to bear in mind.