State of the WBO

We shouldn't really call out mini-modding even if we are doing it for the right reasons. It just doesn't go well with everyone.

Yeah that's what I think, and even maybe most of the people who are reading/posting in this thread.
I myself have noticed lately that I have somewhat been mini modding in an effort to step up my maturity level here. I am now ready to take the next step, which is to stop mini modding.

Mini modding is usualy an attempt by a basicly powerless and ordinary member to feel useful or powerful in some way, to gain respect or authority. Most of the time, the intentions that result in mini modding are pure in nature, but other times they are out of spite, or a hunger for a technicaly non existant superiority and higher status in an online community.

Even if the intentions are pure, it does interfere with the jobs of the real mods. It also tends to start arguments between memebrs (not always) who are mini modding and those who made the mistake.

The basic approach would be to ignore these posts entirly and not reply to them, to just simply report them and wait for a moderator to handel the job. If someone places a thread in the worng place, say nothing. If someone asks about a purchase in the random thoughts thread, do nothing.

However, that isn't perfect either. If we always did that, then noobs would never learn, and the same mistakes would be repeated time and time agian. that said, it still isn't a good idea to jump on the mini mod band wagon and reply to a pointless thread over and over agian telling the poster the exact same thing 10 times.

Things such as directing people to the correct threads politly is fine, but do not do that if someone already has before you. More importantly, do it in a way that doesn't make the noob seem like an idiot or stupid. Kindly tell them what they did wrong and how they can fix it in the future.

For things like the Hasbro thread, which I currently maintain, I do not consider that mini modding because I have stated over and over agian that I have no real power. I made that thread so I watch it and make sure everyone who posts there stays on topic by doing what is said in the OP. That is all.

In the end, the moderators themselves need to draw the line between what they do an what happens with mini modding. Only they can say what they feel is ok and what isn't because they are the ones who do all the work around here. Some moderators will feel differently than others, but in the end, they must come to a general conscensous.

Let's face it: We all have mini modded at some point. Saying you are an active user and you haven't is probobly a lie. Hell, even some advanced members have been seen mini modding every now and agian. Mini modding isn't compeletely negative, but too much can be.
Agreed. What I was talking about with the "I really don't care and so on" stuff was that if one new member hates you for pointing out they were wrong, why get angry? If everyone did, Kai-V would likely be furious. I mean, we've all seen it where a member claims to hate Kai-V because she closed a dumb thread, right? This is what I was getting at. You have to let those types of arguments go. Such as on the Phantom Orion page, someone asked what is a bearing useful for. I proceeded to say "You could have searched, you know." and pointed out a link to Beywiki. Well, things go downhill, I get called a douche for my post, and the thread was REALLY derailed. Kai-V mentions that there was no reason to call me a douchebag, and deletes the posts. Why do I bring this up? Because this is what I mean. If one guy doesn't like you because he was in the wrong and doesn't want to say, then who cares? But if the whole community is divided between "I hate this guy" and "Huh, he's a good member", and the "hate" side is the majority, then something needs to change. I'm done posting on that matter.

On mini-modding. It's okay to do it when it is constructive. When you are trying to take over because you want to be recognized, know this: Mini-modding excessively won't get you italicized or added to the Committee. It just makes our image of you take a nosedive. It really does.

Also: Is this only about the issues originally brought up, or is it for all problems on the WBO? The Your Creations Forum has a thread like this, but nobody reads it, and the same issues also affect the whole board, so is it okay if I posted them here?

On the "You're Wrong" thing. My idea was that fact is fact. If you are acting in poor taste, you just are, and nothing you can say changes this. If you are a contributive member, you are, and nothing anyone else can say changes this. Also, Dark is bad. Nothing can change this. TH170 is a good part, it is fact, so this will not change for a LONG time.
(Sep. 06, 2011  1:47 AM)Temporal Wrote: Agreed. While it is okay to sometimes take matters into one's own hands in telling a new member what they need to look at, being plain mean isn't okay. There really isn't anything anyone can say to that, because it is about as black and white as it gets. You're wrong or you're right. And those who put down others or are elitist as they say are plain wrong. Simple as that.

Bringing this post up again. Being excessively mean is unacceptable, so just don't do it. You are either right in being a good member and helping, or wrong in being mean and counter-productive.
Hm, you might be right on the mini modding, and I am guilty as charged of this. I guess is does interfere with the mods, or make you a "backseat driver" so to speak.

For what you said in the first paragraph, I know you don't want to talk about it but it's something I've said SO MANY TIMES. People tend to be so spiteful on this site, I almost want to call it disgusting. People have no right to degrade each other and make yourself higher. This is what's called bullying. A little extreme? Probably. But it just makes me so mad to see it happen. Why? My guess is that people think that if they degrade someone, it makes them seem "cooler" and "A better member" when all it really does is degrade yourself.

If you're going to mini-mod, do it good.
Don't say for example if someone asks a question:
"Really...? There's a search function you know."
Say in a better way:
"Give the search function a shot, I found it pretty easily!"
Or just give them their answer.

If you have your typical noob, I'd say give em a month or so for them to get better at posting. If not, I'd say you can start being a bit more harsh, but I'd say borderline a month is good enough reasonable time for them to get better.

Sparta
Couldn't agree more.
And that's why I'm gonna be nicer here lol
I'm no moderator, but I think that if people did mini mod, then I'd say you need to put a link, otherwise it's kinda spam. I think that'd reduce the amount of people mini modding in new topics or questions like "What are the abbreviations for the Metal Face Custom Ver.?"

It's not my decision, but I think if people were to "mini mod", that's all you should do.

And there was a news topic from far back, even when there was <10 000 members it said to just put a link.
Another thing - as Kai-V mentioned earlier, don't post in the thread saying "THIS IS SPAM IT WILL BE CLOSED REPORTED" and "WHY HAVE THE MODS NOT CLOSED THIS YET"
If you would like them to be aware to NOT make threads like that in the future, send em a quick PM, it would greatly reduce the SPAM. Grin
(Sep. 07, 2011  12:47 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote: Another thing - as Kai-V mentioned earlier, don't post in the thread saying "THIS IS SPAM IT WILL BE CLOSED REPORTED" and "WHY HAVE THE MODS NOT CLOSED THIS YET"
If you would like them to be aware to NOT make threads like that in the future, send em a quick PM, it would greatly reduce the SPAM. Grin

I do this all the time. Some people may think that they're the "BIG BAD MODS :0!" but really, they're just dudes like us. Daegor42's really awesome Smile.

Either that, or you can report the thread. It's not like you're reporting SPAM, but it's a way to let the moderators know that something could be closed. For example, a lot of the writing tournament threads started to crowd the forum, so I PM'd mods every once in a while and politely asked if they could close the thread, if they didn't mind. As long as you provide a link to it, it really helps them.
This topic is reopened.
(Sep. 07, 2011  12:47 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote: Another thing - as Kai-V mentioned earlier, don't post in the thread saying "THIS IS SPAM IT WILL BE CLOSED REPORTED" and "WHY HAVE THE MODS NOT CLOSED THIS YET"

i have seen a lot of people do things like this. TBH, i think they should be the ones getting reported for bumping a useless thread that will most likely be spotted by a moderator eventually. like you said, Send them a PM. simple as that. or you could just
report the post without contributing to the thread.
They are sometimes warned.

And it would be spotted if people actually bothered to report it. It's been said numerous times before that moderators are left to stumble accross these threads because all these people saying "THIS IS SPAM IT WILL B CLOSED" don't actually bother to report the damn thing.

For example, V0rtex, you claim to have seen these spam posts that others complain about, yet you've never reported a single post in your entire time here. EVERYONE needs to learn that the report button isn't some mystical object that might land you in as much trouble as the person you're reporting. The moderation here isn't like that. I've reported nearly 400 posts, and I'm sure not all of them entirely deserved it or resulted in warnings, but the moderation has never asked me to stop or anything.

It's frequently raised by the mods: no one reports things. Seriously, if you're gonna complain about the behaviour and spam of others, then you actually need to be proactive and report their posts.

As for the rest of this thread, I'm as guilty of most of this as anyone, as much as realising that is something, I think I will just stay out of the discussion, at least for the time being.
One of these "to-close" topics just got done, and as I have already mentioned, yes, only two replies were 'necessary', but those posts all get submitted at the same time, because we are a very active community. In that sense, is it fair to report posts that were done because the person truly had not yet seen the first reply that was done a few seconds before ?

Of course, the solutions are either that nobody posts in such topics at all and simply report them, which is good, but I am not necessarily against someone providing a useful post explaining why the thread will need to be locked with a valid reason since all we have to do afterwards is close the topic instead of also bothering to post. However, that would mean that almost only one or two people would have to be "appointed" as those that can make these explanation posts, and no one else should post ...
Which would be hard to organise. Not entirely unfair, but, if these people aren't reporting it, then they're doing the wrong thing, tbh.
Almost everyone had reported it too.
Then there's no problem, ahah, if they've all posted that close together. Not trying to generalise all of those posts into one though, I'm sure you know I don't mean those. Smile
Yes, I just wanted to mention that in almost all the cases there were so many "useless" posts because they were all submitted at the same time. Barely anyone really SPAMs like that.
But if one person posts twice on a spam thread, then it's unacceptable.
I have a question.

I've honestly misunderstood quite a few posts in the past day or two. To me it seemed like quite a few people got the intention that I was telling them they were wrong or that I'm smarter, or that I think they're dumb, or whatever it may have been. The responses To these posts seemed like i purposely was abusing being an advanced member. I think that they think that I think that I'm more qualified or whatever. (if you can interpret that sentence correctly)

Do my posts seem like I'm trying to make you (whoever) feel lesser or even like I'm making fun of you?

Please PM me, I'd rather not have posts about this, which would kinda divert the thread.
Shabalabadoo (I miss SSJFisherman, so much easier to remember Tongue_out), I just want to say here, rather than PM, how much that post impresses me. It's not everyone who can handle criticism and openly ask for it, and I think it's commendable of you to do so.

As for this thread, I do want to say how much I agree with the idea. We do need to sort out a better method of helping out the newbies, because quite often they do have a lot to offer. Look at Janstarblast, he's admitted himself he was pretty terrible as a newbie, and this'll probably sound pompous of me, but I like to think my input talking to him about improving played a part in him becoming such a helpful member (and it's a shame he's having connection issues right now). There are plenty of examples of this. Sure, there are some people (django, eg), who are beyond our help, it's just identifying them that's the problem.

I know I'm way too harsh with people, and sarcastic, and generally horrible. FWIW I'm working on it, but I know I've still got a long way to go in that respect. I think it would help if some people were aware of how ridiculous their ego's have become over a forum about a children's spinning top game. I've told a few people myself (rudely, albeit motivated by what I think is their best interests), and I'll freely admit I'm amongst them, but yeah.

I've already posted my thoughts on the perceived "divide" between advanced and regular users, not worth me re-opening that can of worms again, ehehe.

I think that about sums up all I have to say on the issue.
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-beyblade...#pid780910

That, my friends, is called annoying mini modding. Honestly, you really can't boss mods around like that. I'm surprised he wasn't warned.
Yeah. If I may ask, did he report it? Either way, saying that there just sounds rude... But, that isn't entirely the point of this thread, the more senior members amongst us, myself included, if I may, can't divert the fact that there are issues in our own behaviour, which I guess is largely what this thread is about.
He is at ninety percent. Just like Bluezee, I will give him a slight other chance : I have personally sent him a private message to tell him to actually be useful.

No, he never reported that topic.
This, again, is mini-modding.

(Sep. 10, 2011  1:12 AM)Crow Wrote: This does not belong in the right area. I even think this is spam. REPORTED!

I mean seriously, it's a SPAM account. There's no use in telling them it's in the wrong place. People should learn to just report it without saying anything. Tongue_out
It seems like some people are unable to identify a clear SPAM bot.

By the way, Kaiba Hiwatari, as much as it is surprising that you would put that quote in your signature, your overall signature is too large.
(Sep. 10, 2011  1:32 AM)Kai-V Wrote: It seems like some people are unable to identify a clear SPAM bot.

By the way, Kaiba Hiwatari, as much as it is surprising that you would put that quote in your signature, your overall signature is too large.

Eh, guess so.

Thanks for telling me, fixed it. Also, why is it surprising? I found it funny...