State of the WBO

Hm, it's true. Not much you can do about it, because you can't freshen spoiled milk. We could go banning members, but that doesn't really make us look like a happy forum, and it's just not right.

I think if someone's acting out, the best thing you can do is either:

A. Call them on it-Yeah sure. Just be polite and don't start an argument. It derails the thread and hurts your image, too.

B. Report them-Meh, I guess. But I think, personally, that the mods don't have much more power than the members in this case, other than warning them. The problem with that is you can't fence in the wind, and if you ban them that really doesn't help them become better people in life. Remember, there is no such thing as a bad person. Rather, there is a person who bad things have happened to and made them act out.

C. Ignore it-Erm...not quite sure. It COULD work and make them drop the fight, or it could make them even more angry and start getting really mad. It's a risk, and I don't like it...

Additional thing: I strongly oppose putting quotes in your signatures. Sure, sometimes they can be just funny moments, but I've also seen a lot of mean and stupid things in there. Sometimes just peoples derps, and its not too great to be on the other end of the spectrum-seeing your mistake being laughed at. Take Th!nks hall of shame. Just the title makes it bad! Some things are funny though, so I guess just be careful what you put in there.
(Sep. 21, 2011  8:27 PM)♥ Wrote: Yes, absolutely; I totally agree with pretty much all the points you've made.

Apologies if the post appeared to imply that we are just going to rest on our laurels; what I'm saying is that the problem will pretty much always exist. Every single time we gain a new member, they're a potentially disruptive member. Unfortunately, this is just one of the inconveniences of any community.

However, there is one thing. I don't think it's particularly constructive to detract from a thread to call someone out. If there is a problem, it should be reported and a member of staff will step in. Obviously this might not be applicable all the time, but it's something to bear in mind.

I do not really find it to be prudent for regular members to be doing much calling out at all, unless the offense is particularly heinous/unruly. Most instances would suffice with a member simply going "You should not do that", "This is the wrong thread", etc. while also hitting the report button and filing a proper complaint.

Administration/Moderation/Committee/Batman Club whatever you call them should handle actual chastising of a public nature. And, again, if handled properly, and respectfully in regards to other posters in the thread(read: not making a big scene, just big enough), a public ousting can easily be managed without derailing a thread.

We've had several such incidents of bad situations being toned back into control and then moved beyond by people using calm-headed responses to the situation. Obviously some things will be more explosive, but that's where warnings and such come in.

In general, "citizen's arrest" situations are the better solution most of the time, as it's rare that a genuinely threatening or disruptive event actually occurs.

In the event that something requiring more than a light lecture/informative post and use of the report button does occur, combination of the report button and perhaps alerting a Mod via PM, and diverting other posters away from the situation tactfully until a Mod can respond properly, is the better way for it to be handled.
I definately think members need to step into arguements to call out members. I've been a jerk to people recently on here and if someone outside of the argument had called me on and gone "dude your being a massive jerk" then it would've stopped a lot sooner. Even if you are an experienced and respected member that is no excuse for your behavior if you act like that as Bluezee's banning showed recently.
I've been a member of a community where members can't call people out, and even with a much larger moderator base than we have, it doesn't work well.

Publicly calling people out is questionable, but the pm system exists for a reason.

Last thing we want to do is lay more work on the committee, they are busy enough as it is.

I know that wasn't the direct intent of your post, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I agree it's questionable but in cases where someone is being really jerky for no good reason I think it definitely should be done.
yeah, alot of times people in real life have been haivng a bad time and take it out on here. however this is stupid as like me if you do post something not altogether nice then you get warned, and get even sadder.
I'm still seeing an extremely large incidence of poor threads being posted and then being packed full of posts by people trying to say the same thing over and over again - people apparently posting purely for the sake of posting.

The protocol, as I understand it, is supposed to be one person posts and informs the bad topic poster of what they did wrong(in a respectful manner), reports the post, and then no one else posts in it. However, what we have instead is a Benny Hill-esque scenario where we get a ten car pileup of conversation in bad threads, likely with very few people reporting the post.

Can it just be okay to report people for posting in bad threads as SPAM? The frequency of this problem is just hideous. I do not think we need 20 posts from the peanut gallery after one person has properly informed the poster.
Half the time, it is because they're "BEATEN"..
(Sep. 24, 2011  4:00 PM)BeybladeStation Wrote: Half the time, it is because they're "BEATEN"..

It would be better if no one posted at all, then.

Unfortunately we have mentioned this before, but it seems to have slipped everyone's minds again.
But then would the poster not know the right thing to do?
(Sep. 24, 2011  4:05 PM)BeybladeStation Wrote: But then would the poster not know the right thing to do?

A moderator would eventually tell them when relocating the post.

I'm just really sick of this clown car pileup of people trying to raise their post count when someone makes a bad thread.
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Dan-s-BB...-D-D-Draft

Uhm, I really dont like this situation happening to BBS. I mean BBS did start it all(I felt both drafts were strong and good. Dont get me wrong) but heres the thing, why didnt no mod stop this? Is this favoring members or what? I didnt like this at all though. Letting an Adv trash talk this? BBS deserved more credit though. In my point of view that is all.
not really I just felt like making my own article on the same bey (which is allowd GrinJSHOCK: ) and BBS felt cheated he didn't get complete spotlight and someone else had a go at it, and clearly any other article variant was based of his since he made one before anyone else.. Or at least he comes across as such.
You know what I'm seeing these days
This: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-reply-im...#pid795602

Some people never listen and need to know to heed words spoken by others when its told.
He/She is probably a troll or a little kid thinking making those kinds of comments are extremely funny.
Exactly, And after countless-ish post, that person doesn't get the point through their skull.
(Sep. 24, 2011  9:11 PM)BeyCenter Wrote: You know what I'm seeing these days
This: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-reply-im...#pid795602

Some people never listen and need to know to heed words spoken by others when its told.

You know you only needed to post once (or even not at all), so the other 7 of your posts were spam too...
Well this guy just did not understand at all, when I see stuff like that, I absolutely can't stand it...
8 posts of the same thing don't make it better
(Sep. 24, 2011  9:06 PM)® Wrote: Is this favoring members or what? I didnt like this at all though. Letting an Adv trash talk this? BBS deserved more credit though. In my point of view that is all.
Man, you got my feeling down.

Anyways, I do not give a care anymore,.

To BeyCenter, you should of reported and left, or at least redirected hint o places he could get some help.
I reported it, And directed that person to the rues, but it took a while for them to lisen.
(Sep. 24, 2011  9:47 PM)BeyCenter Wrote: I reported it, And directed that person to the rues, but it took a while for them to lisen.

Your job is done after you direct them and report. If you continue to post beyond that, regardless of the reason, you're contributing more to the problem.

You can easily elaborate further in PM without cluttering up threads with SPAM.
Does the 'Your Creations' forum get posted on more than any other forum on here?

I made a topic and it surprisingly shot down to the bottom of the page in a matter of hours.

That's really bad, and I never noticed how bad it was in there...it's pretty ridiculous that it (seemingly) gets the most posts of all the forums, especially since it's basically all Spam, including my topic.

I thought that carppy stories were what made it bad...

That's not even healthy for the forum. Or so I would think.
It is just that everyone seems to think they have what it takes, in general. Therefore, everyone opens their own shop, etc. Plus, tournaments are organised, so each battle apparently needs a new thread.
i think it wold be better if there was only one GFX shop for everyone, that way, it could be like the Sprite shop......