State of the WBO

To be honest, I really don't think it's that big a problem. It's not harming anyone, and it makes them look silly. No amount of explaining will change the fact that kids will always want more than what they have, and in this case, I don't think it's worth extending our reputation for strictness over such an unimportant issue.

I honestly think that we (well, well known/prolific posters) could use this thread to focus on the issues we have ourselves, not those of others, as we set the example for others.
(Oct. 01, 2011  7:40 AM)th!nk Wrote: To be honest, I really don't think it's that big a problem. It's not harming anyone, and it makes them look silly. No amount of explaining will change the fact that kids will always want more than what they have, and in this case, I don't think it's worth extending our reputation for strictness over such an unimportant issue.

I honestly think that we (well, well known/prolific posters) could use this thread to focus on the issues we have ourselves, not those of others, as we set the example for others.

What you said, is completely true. Even here, we kinda made a discussion about Hasbro complaints. Yes, the biggest reason has to be late releases as well as TT's limitations. Simply no TT beys are available all over the world, hence creating a burden on Hasbro, who have their products everywhere. Again, seems like I am straying from the topic.
As you said, kids won't understand and some experienced members HAVE to help them. The problem is, some kids tend to get into the conversation by-
1. Creating useless (yes, the creators do not know they are useless) threads.
2. Posting a lame question(the answer to which is probably everywhere around this site) like- How to put on a face bolt?
3. One liners.
4. Trying to be friendly by commenting on things.
5. Here's a recent example from Random Thoughts-http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblade...#pid800906
6. Crib about things, the most famous topic being Hasbro Whining. People think they look cool by complaining about Hasbro. Its like- 'Uh... I ain't going in that Mercedes.. I hate the name and color of it... Man, I miss my Lambo now.
Mercedes sucks!' *show off*
Most kids around here just want to get into conversation, and I have got some PMs about the matter too. Some PMs I receive, read- Why didn't you reply to my post? etc. etc.
They forget that they are probably not in a chat room or an FB-like environment.
All this, is from my experience. The solution to these problems is unknown to me though..
Uhm, LOL, this is a pretty good example of helping right? http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MF-H-Scy...0CS?page=3

(Oct. 01, 2011  6:40 PM)Izuma Inzori Wrote:
(Oct. 01, 2011  6:22 PM)capricorn7 Wrote: what mode was it in attck or stamina?

Read!

Well, if it says so in the OP, posters should read the OP. It could have been stated differently, but in the end, capricorn7 didn't read. Though we should try to be more understanding for first offenses.
(Oct. 01, 2011  8:37 PM)Temporal Wrote: Well, if it says so in the OP, posters should read the OP. It could have been stated differently, but in the end, capricorn7 didn't read. Though we should try to be more understanding for first offenses.

One-word responses, even to Yes or No questions, should really be discouraged. There's no reason someone cannot be succinct and informative at the same time.
Oh, I was referring to the idea that Izuma Inzori was being mean. Yeah, saying "Read" alone is indeed SPAM.
There is nothing wrong with how inazuma responded in that situation tbh. The person was being lazy.
(Oct. 02, 2011  12:27 AM)th!nk Wrote: There is nothing wrong with how inazuma responded in that situation tbh. The person was being lazy.

A one word response is no better than not reading, especially with a rude tone. There is no need for that posting attitude, and even less need for people with that posting attitude to not put forth legitimate effort in correcting people.

This is a community, not a GameFAQs board.
@Hajel
I will say that one worded responses can go one way or another.
However, that one worded response could go multiple ways with tones.
It could, as you ASSUMED, be a rude tone.
And then again it can be said with a more motivational tone implying "Read! It would be the best!" ect, ect.
(Oct. 02, 2011  12:54 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote: @Hajel
I will say that one worded responses can go one way or another.
However, that one worded response could go multiple ways with tones.
It could, as you ASSUMED, be a rude tone.
And then again it can be said with a more motivational tone implying "Read! It would be the best!" ect, ect.

I'm failing to see how it was so difficult to just go with "If you'll read the posts above yours, it has already been mentioned." or something along those lines.

Examples are what we should be setting, not new standards for poor posting under the flag of "well he was being dumb so I am entitled to be a jackass".

You are never entitled any such thing.

Moreover, while interpretation is the common game of text-based communication, it is quite obvious what tone was being sent across in that message, and most one-word messages convey a tone of, at the very least, "I'm too lazy and thoughtless to actually utilize my vocabulary."
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:02 AM)Hazel Wrote: 1. I'm failing to see how it was so difficult to just go with "If you'll read the posts above yours, it has already been mentioned." or something along those lines.

2. Examples are what we should be setting, not new standards for poor posting under the flag of "well he was being dumb so I am entitled to be a jackass".

3. You are never entitled any such thing.

@1; People have different ways of saying different things.
@2; True.
@3; I never mentioned anything of the sort.
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:07 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote:
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:02 AM)Hazel Wrote: 1. I'm failing to see how it was so difficult to just go with "If you'll read the posts above yours, it has already been mentioned." or something along those lines.

2. Examples are what we should be setting, not new standards for poor posting under the flag of "well he was being dumb so I am entitled to be a jackass".

3. You are never entitled any such thing.

@1; People have different ways of saying different things.

This is never an excuse. This very point was made about people being rude earlier on, and it was met in much the same way as I will meet it now: it's an insufficient scapegoat. Behavior should always be considered differently in a community environment, and especially on a forum. A word does not convey a sentence.

I am sure we are all somewhat guilty in these regards - I know I have one-word responded at least once(to one such "Yes or No" question), though I believe I went back and edited it on better judgement shortly therafter.

However, self-improvement through examination is the goal, is it not?
Tell me then, what is an appropriate answer that's been set in society as a response to that?
None.

We are guilty, for sure. XD

Yes, I've tried using this thread for just that.
Hazel, as ridiculously bright as you are, you seriously need to lighten up a little man.

There was nothing wrong with that response, it wasn't rude, it was succinct. Short and to the point. Man, I wish Mc Frown were still around here, he was basically the master of that, as much as sometimes it was uncalled for, usually it got the point across and didn't cause too much ill feeling.
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:18 AM)th!nk Wrote: Hazel, as ridiculously bright as you are, you seriously need to lighten up a little man.

There was nothing wrong with that response, it wasn't rude, it was succinct. Short and to the point. Man, I wish Mc Frown were still around here, he was basically the master of that, as much as sometimes it was uncalled for, usually it got the point across and didn't cause too much ill feeling.

I suppose single-word posts are just an extreme peeve of mine, as it were. I see no reason someone cannot be more verbose than a single word while being succinct enough to avoid anything larger than a sentence or two.

The day typing four or five extra words to clarify a point and escape any rude finger-pointing becomes too much effort is a day I will not happily gaze upon, I'm afraid.
I understand that completely, and generally agree, I just don't think that that was the right post to make that point around.
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:25 AM)th!nk Wrote: I understand that completely, and generally agree, I just don't think that that was the right post to make that point around.

I was not necessarily trying to base the whole point around it, just use it as an example of an idea. I do feel it came off as a bit snappish, though, and I do feel that sort of thing can and should be avoided.

I apologize if my intent was not clear.
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:22 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Oct. 02, 2011  1:18 AM)th!nk Wrote: Hazel, as ridiculously bright as you are, you seriously need to lighten up a little man.

I suppose single-word posts are just an extreme peeve of mine, as it were. I see no reason someone cannot be more verbose than a single word while being succinct enough to avoid anything larger than a sentence or two.

The day typing four or five extra words to clarify a point and escape any rude finger-pointing becomes too much effort is a day I will not happily gaze upon, I'm afraid.

Well, even I agree to this point. Single-word posts really put off the whole topic.
Why not put in those few extra words, to at least make it more meaningful? Or if that is too much for you, why not put in that Smile *smiling face* to show you aren't rude?
Interpreting the tone of the message, is completely based on the one who reads it.
But, short and abrupt messages, which usually sound more commanding than informative, are always gonna be taken as 'rude'. I think this is human nature, and someone interested in psychology might give a clearer answer about this, as I just 'believe' that this is the reason why such posts 'sound' rude.
Things like- 'Read', 'See', etc. might sound rude.
But yes, all this has nothing to do with Izuma's reply. He responded well(but yes, just those few extra words were needed), and as far as I know him, he is not all that rude too. Smile
I noticed my name mentioned, and I apologize for being short tempered and rather rude in that post. will edit that ASAP

I believe one of the Mods deleted it already
Ah, more mini-modding. Tired This is really starting to get under my skin.
(Oct. 02, 2011  9:43 PM)TheInGreek Wrote: mods close this.
There was more to his/her post than just that, but seriously, people need to learn to report posts/threads without responding. That just bumps the thread. I've reported about five posts in the past two days, and I didn't post in any of them. Tongue_out
Same. I've seen someone named Chrischawn or something make quite a few unnecessary threads. All you need to do is report each of them and let the mods handle it-let 'em do their job.
(Oct. 03, 2011  3:03 AM)Sparta Wrote: All you need to do is report each of them and let the mods handle it-let 'em do their job.

I swear I've reported like 10, 000 posts in the last few days. I've even apologized in one of them for pressing report so much, haha.
Yeah, I actually made a dumb assumption that he was a SPAM-BOT.

Yeah, there have been a lot of these lately. Is it because we have more members? I think the more popular a forum gets, the more SPAM-BOTS join and SPAM. And the more SPAM-BOTS that join, the more members we have. And so, the cycle repeats, haha.
We barely get SPAM bots these days, compared to just bad members.
(Oct. 03, 2011  12:25 PM)Kai-V Wrote: We barely get SPAM bots these days, compared to just bad members.
I agree, compared to other forums the WBO is noticeably SPAM-BOT free (well, not completely free but you get what I mean). I am a member on a few other sites, and they have far more bots than we do here and not even have a quarter of the member count. MFGalaxy is a good example. I was an active member there for a while, before the amount of bots just piled up and up until they shut down the site it was so uncontrollable. That site had only a few hundred member if I recall correctly and the WBO has god knows how many. Our filters get rid of most bots before they can do damage. It is the new (and even some old) members that make useless and rude posts and ruining the experience of being on an online community such as this for the rest of us.