SonoKong's new Beyblade replica : TOP PLATE!!

This news is actually hilarious : Beyblade, in South Korea, was known as "Top Blade" before Zero-G began, and in the past too during the Bakuten Shoot Beyblade era. So, "Top Plate" is obviously a play on word on that.

This news is also rather surprising, not that I had not discovered hints of this new series before, but some people thought that Beyblade was too unpopular in South Korea and that SonoKong would drop the series as soon as possible, but obviously if they introduce this new, almost "side series" that resembles Beyblade, they know that there are still many fans out there who could be excited about it and, like Hasbro, they cannot wait for TAKARA-TOMY to pick up Beyblade again while the boy hobby industry is not as strong in Japan right now. It is almost like SonoKong also wants to make Beyblade an evergreen brand ...

In any case, here is the official site for Top Plate :
http://www.topplate.co.kr/index.asp

There will even be an anime to accompany this series, produced by Tooniverse also.

Here is SonoKong's video for the series :

As can be seen on the site, the parts system is very, very similar to Beyblade, even with a Clear Wheel on top of a Metal Wheel, a sort of Track, a Face, and a long Bottom like a plastic Beyblade tip.

The new gimmick that differentiates these spinning tops from Beyblades is actually a gimmick that Hasbro has already used ... You attach the Top Plate to a launcher, but the winder is inserted right into the Top Plate's long tip, and appparently you can launch it on a plate on your hand and then into the stadium.

The stadium is essentially a Battle Striker one, which is quite disappointing. You can even apparently "boost" your Top Plate from the side of the stadium with the launcher to probably push it straight into the opponent.

Top Plate's goal is as always to knock out or outspin the opponent.

The box packaging and the logo are clearly Beyblade-inspired.

Here are some of the Top Plates coming out :
Wings Falcon
Reptile Hydra
Antler Goat
Poison Scorpion
Mortal Shark
Blaze Liger
Rocky Golem
Dread Dragon
Thunder Wolf

The toys will start being released in August I think, and the anime should begin in September in South Korea.

You can see more about this new series on these two blogs, like excerpts from the anime, pictures of the characters, etc. :
http://blog.naver.com/jeh3467/140193308833
http://blog.naver.com/syw7179/30173142572

Personally, the "Face marks" are way too simplistic (they only illustrate the first letter of the Top Plate's name in a special way), and the names are self-evident sometimes, but hey, I suppose this means that Beyblade really is doing well everywhere except in Japan right now, so this is great news !
Wow...

It seems like a combination of MFB and Battle Strikers. It seems pretty interesting, and the name change of Top Blade to Top Plate to not be exactly connected to Beyblades, is kinda funny.

I may order some of these, depending how much they'd sell them online. I wish that they would call it Top Blade: ____ or something, so it is connected to beys. That way, Hasbro might have made them... ( I doubt that, but it would have been nice, haha)

Anyhow, this should be pretty interesting, especially since there is a show along with it. I love how all of the Beyblade distributors (Hasbro and TT) are trying to hard to keep it going, especially waiting on TT to make a new series, etc.
Huh. Seems interesting I guess. I might get a few when they come out.
This looks cool, but the top plates are so tall compared to beyblades.
Hmm, it seems to have taken traits from Beyblade and Battle Strikers, as Leone19 said, and come up with this. Kind of interesting, I am most curious about the Metal wheels that are used and how much they weigh.
OH MY DIDDY AUNT!!! This is so much like beyblade and there are two female characters YIPPEE!!! (Unless one turns out as a dude which seems 100% unlikely) OH YES this looks quite cool. The tops names are meh but yeah it seems cool.
Wow one of them looks like Tsubasa and the main protagonist reminds me of Sho, and oh come on another cliche dragon type and for a dark top too, this series anime isn't actually too bad I mean it has to be better than that garbage 4D, I might give this a go but I doubt very slow UK will release these.

Oh cool the characters look interesting, that green haired boy and that girl in particular IMO, but will this stand up to zero g? IMO these look interesting.
Why do some of them have yellow tips? Are they rubber or just for the sake of it?
This is kinda weird. I haven't looked at the site, but just watched the commercial. So basically you pull a cord, launch a top on a plate, slide the top off the plate in the arena, and you can flick your top at the other. Sounds strange. I want to see how this will turn out. Might eventually get some to mess around.
They seem cool in my opinion. I might buy some just for the heck of it.
Dare I even ask..

Why is this in Beyblade General? I mean, I understand it's a replica series, but it's off-topic and belongs in the off-topic board, right?
(Aug. 03, 2013  7:48 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Dare I even ask..

Why is this in Beyblade General? I mean, I understand it's a replica series, but it's off-topic and belongs in the off-topic board, right?

We do have a topic for BeyWheelz here too ... We will just not have one thread for each release in either of those two (side-)series. This is also clearly SonoKong basing a series on Beyblade while not having the rights to create a new Beyblade series.
Looks pretty sweet. I'd be interested to see this tv show spinoff if it gets subbed.
Well this seems pretty intresting I am looking forward to this series. Which hopefully when they release it I could get my hands on them right away if I can
This is really interesting, but does this mean Sonokong wants to release their own line of Beyblades/tops instead of the rest of the Zero G beyblades?

Some predictions/observations/guesses:
- I'm pretty sure that these tops work like Flame/Torch Pegasus from plastics, in that they are gyroscopes with a "wheel" that spins independently from the "bottom" The "bottom" which you stick the winder in has a slot in the top which spins the "wheel". Also in the video on the second link has a guy picking up a top by holding onto the bottom.
- It looks like the "boost attack" which pushes the tops is just a plunger in the launcher grip that actually physically hits the side of the top.
- The boxes of the tops had a little icon in the top right that says "LR". I'm guessing all the tops can spin left and right.
- All the tops look like they have rubber tips. It even looks like Reptile Hydra and Posion Scorpion have a R2F shape to their tips.
- The hand plates looks really goofy. Why would you need it anyway if you can just release the top directly from the launcher?

It's an interesting idea, but I want to see more on how the game plays. I could see Hasbro releasing this, if they can get the licensing rights from Sonokong that is.
We need a beyblade series and toyline dealing with the sons of Tyson and Kai. Oh and Ray's daughter.
This is weird, but interesting nonethless. Good for them?
I like it, I may want to collect them once more information is out.

Don't really like the name "TOP PLATE"

And the names of the tops are alright I guess.
Looks cool.
Though where did they get the "plate" from? Perhaps the completely unnecessary plate-like things they include in the launching sequence.
These beys look cool/weird! Lol they look like those tornado battlers!!XD but I can't wait till they come out! I really want that Dread Dragon!! It looks sick!!Smile
Mh...probably I am the only one that is not happy for this news xD However for their "gimmick" they will never be useful in a battle, but they are interesting gadget like the hasbro ones that Kai-V has cited in the first post Smile
Anywho this does look interesting, I would like to see weight wise how they compare to TT beyblades.
Oh Gosh personally this system looks terrible. The gimmicks dont look nice... or i may just be REALLY NEGATIVE.The name sounds a bit silly, and the launcher looks ugly. Personally i will not ever concider liking this series or buying this ( If it come out of south korea which is a high possiblity considering takara tomy is running out of ideas, they might do a spark fx like copy of top plates.)

I might just be really addicted to original beyblade...
(Aug. 04, 2013  12:57 PM)BlazonBlast! Wrote: Oh Gosh personally this system looks terrible. The gimmicks dont look nice... or i may just be REALLY NEGATIVE.The name sounds a bit silly, and the launcher looks ugly. Personally i will not ever concider liking this series or buying this ( If it come out of south korea which is a high possiblity considering takara tomy is running out of ideas, they might do a spark fx like copy of top plates.)

I might just be really addicted to original beyblade...

Give it a chance, this was only a short thing about them.
It won't hurt to try it out, right?

Also, I don't think it's that TT is running out of ideas as much as it's that Beyblade and hobby toys in general aren't doing the best as they were before, and they weren't making a lot of money off of them.
Mabye i am a bit too mean when it come to stuff i liek...