Should Hosts Compete in their own Tournament?

Yeah i'm kinda scared if i should participate in a tourney i'm hosting not only cuzz im 32 years old but my arms are like fricken almost thicker then most of you kids's thighs in WBO. maybe i should wear a sweater so the parents don't freak out, BUT I'M JUST TOO GOOD at RIPPIN BEYS APART!!! Klaus aka George remind me of myself but i don't rip off my shirt and show off my pecs (pectoral). We'll see what happens.

I mean cmon i'm 6'2 315lbs, wouldn't your parents be like " what is this grown man participating these little kids games?"
It happens rarely, but there are no age restrictions here on the WBO - so Let it Rip!
At the tournaments I've held I haven't had a problem with it. Parents actually like me competing
I DEFINETELY, POSITIVELY, THINK YOU SHOULD COMPETE.
Reasons
1. You win, sell the prize
2. If someone wins against you they'll feel really good
3. If they lost, at least they know they lost to a master.

Mean Parents Solution: Evade them or ask for suggestions on how to fix this and start from there.
The host never competes, its an unfair advantage, you can compete if u urslef am not a judge but if not how do we all know, nonoffense, if ur cheating? have a friend not into beys help you therefore he wont care who wins he will just want it fair.. im really not trying to discourage u to hostWink
(Mar. 06, 2012  5:25 PM)Loki Unlucky Wrote: The host never competes, its an unfair advantage, you can compete if u urslef am not a judge but if not how do we all know, nonoffense, if ur cheating? have a friend not into beys help you therefore he wont care who wins he will just want it fair.. im really not trying to discourage u to hostWink

How is it an unfair advantage ? How could you cheat ? A Beyblade stops spinning or gets knocked out, and the Rulebooks should always be printed and available at tournaments, so there is no dilemma to be had, especially in terms of cheats.
Just gonna throw my opinion in the argument.

Personally I have no problem with hosts competing in tournaments. Personally I think the host is at a disadvantage. First off they have to keep up with results, judge, deal with parents/spectators and focus on there match. Ive helped host and judge every tournament ive been to. So it does make it harder for me. But its more rewarding if i win or top an event i hosted.
(Mar. 06, 2012  5:29 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Mar. 06, 2012  5:25 PM)Loki Unlucky Wrote: The host never competes, its an unfair advantage, you can compete if u urslef am not a judge but if not how do we all know, nonoffense, if ur cheating? have a friend not into beys help you therefore he wont care who wins he will just want it fair.. im really not trying to discourage u to hostWink

How is it an unfair advantage ? How could you cheat ? A Beyblade stops spinning or gets knocked out, and the Rulebooks should always be printed and available at tournaments, so there is no dilemma to be had, especially in terms of cheats.

I think this a huge unfair advantage. The host/judge sees everything you're using, making it way easier to counter you. My sister already quit because of this. Also there has not been one rulebook at any tournament I've attended. After reviewing the rulebook, the rules are often bent as well.

Honestly it's not an inviting atmosphere to new people when the people specifically watching all of your matches hard counter you when it's their turn to play you.
Regular players who are not judges can also observe all your matches, that is just part of any game. In Yu-Gi-Oh!, you would obviously want to watch someone to see exactly which cards they have and notice which ones they do not seem to own.
In Yu-Gi-Oh! you have one deck and can't just build a new one between matches to specifically beat your opponent.
(Dec. 04, 2012  9:16 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Regular players who are not judges can also observe all your matches, that is just part of any game. In Yu-Gi-Oh!, you would obviously want to watch someone to see exactly which cards they have and notice which ones they do not seem to own.

(Dec. 04, 2012  9:14 PM)Woznotwoz Wrote:
(Mar. 06, 2012  5:29 PM)Kai-V Wrote:

I think this a huge unfair advantage. The host/judge sees everything you're using, making it way easier to counter you. My sister already quit because of this. Also there has not been one rulebook at any tournament I've attended. After reviewing the rulebook, the rules are often bent as well.

Honestly it's not an inviting atmosphere to new people when the people specifically watching all of your matches hard counter you when it's their turn to play you.

Why are you not paying close attention to other matches when you're not playing? Lol and i host a lot and have little time to pay attention and REMEMBER everything everybody uses. I end up asking around it's part of the game. Do your research, or you're just being lazy!

There is no advantage to hosting if anything its a disadvantage because I have to worry about how the tournament is running and telling bladers 3 times in a row what stadium they are suppose to be at and who they are blading... There is no practicing during a tournament for the host when I'm not blading. And if I couldn't blade (besides my son being able to) why the heck would a blader host a tournament???

Its hard to host there's no benefit besides the competition... Anybody who says a host shouldn't be ALLOWED to has absolutely no idea what a host goes through during a tournament!
Sorry that ignorance kind of struck a nerve, You should be INCREDIBLY appreciative of anybody willing to go through THE JOB OF HOSTING It's not always fun FYI.
He was talking about judges specifically, in the case of his sister.

By the way, I do not know why you just attacked my Yu-Gi-Oh! example without refuting the rest of what I wrote ... If you want other examples, like boxing, I can give you others ...
I don't think running a tournament with 8-10 people in it is actually difficult. The hard part is arranging the place of the tournament and getting people to come.

I don't "counter" people because it's a crappy thing to do. If someone is at their first tournament, why would I want to demoralize them.

At our tournaments in NC with 8-10 people, there's been at least 3 people judging matches. Considering this, I don't see how it's hard to remember what people are using. Everyone is responsive at our tournaments and they don't have to be told 3 times where and when to play.

I am not ignorant, I've been apart of competitive things all of my life, and the way Beyblade tournaments are conducted are, in my opinion, far from professional.
(Dec. 04, 2012  9:24 PM)Coach Wrote:
(Dec. 04, 2012  9:14 PM)Woznotwoz Wrote:
(Mar. 06, 2012  5:29 PM)Kai-V Wrote: How is it an unfair advantage ? How could you cheat ? A Beyblade stops spinning or gets knocked out, and the Rulebooks should always be printed and available at tournaments, so there is no dilemma to be had, especially in terms of cheats.

Why are you not paying close attention to other matches when you're not playing? Lol and i host a lot and have little time to pay attention and REMEMBER everything everybody uses. I end up asking around it's part of the game. Do your research, or you're just being lazy!

There is no advantage to hosting if anything its a disadvantage because I have to worry about how the tournament is running and telling bladers 3 times in a row what stadium they are suppose to be at and who they are blading... There is no practicing during a tournament for the host when I'm not blading. And if I couldn't blade (besides my son being able to) why the heck would a blader host a tournament???

Its hard to host there's no benefit besides the competition... Anybody who says a host shouldn't be ALLOWED to has absolutely no idea what a host goes through during a tournament!
Sorry that ignorance kind of struck a nerve, You should be INCREDIBLY appreciative of anybody willing to go through THE JOB OF HOSTING It's not always fun FYI.

That was not directed at you or your yugio comment by any means. Sorry for the confusion it was more at the response by WoznotWoz.
No Coach, my second paragraph was in response to Woznotwoz, hah.

Woznotwoz, go read through this topic first, notably everywhere we repeat that people here are not paid, and that their interest in Beyblade cannot be kept alive if they always only host and never play. And no, in each region, there is sometimes no more than one person who can make a reliable organiser.
Woznotwoz
The judges don't spend their time trying to remember someones bey. I judged a lot at the last NC tournament and I didn't try to make counters for their things. I judged and put the scores on Challonge. When people judge they pay attention to see who wins the 3 of 5.
I think hosts should play if they want. They made the tournament. It's also fun battling them. I know I've had fun battling Dark_Mousy at tournaments.
(Dec. 04, 2012  9:44 PM)Thunder Dome Wrote: Woznotwoz
The judges don't spend their time trying to remember someones bey. I judged a lot at the last NC tournament and I didn't try to make counters for their things. I judged and put the scores on Challonge. When people judge they pay attention to see who wins the 3 of 5.
I think hosts should play if they want. They made the tournament. It's also fun battling them. I know I've had fun battling Dark_Mousy at tournaments.
Yes also I've had it where I was planning on sitting out and the higher tier bladers begged me to blade because without a challenge it isn't as fun.

The funny thing is I've only placed in the top 3 in half of the tournaments I've hosted so if I have an unfair advantage I'd like to know where it is... Last one I went 5-5 and my son just missed the top 3. Sorry to disappoint you Woznotwoz but there is no unfair advantage.

The thing with hosts like Dark_Mousy is he invests a lot of time into his blading that's why he's so good not because he's the host. That's his advantage as well as many other hosts on here.
Coach We will just have to agree to disagree. I'm not specifically talking about Dark_Mousy, don't make assumptions that every tournament or person is the same. Thunderdome is a good, honest kid, but I can't say the same for everyone else that judges.
The toys say 8+. If you are going to cry over losing when your a newb and over 8 you are a sad mess. Do this many parrents really care? My parrents say I have to save up to pay for gas(I'm a terrible saver). It is a freaking toy. Also why not help Hasbro? They are in it for the money. If you beat a little kid they want them to get upset and buy more.
Tournament hosts have a huge disadvantage. Between judging and battling judges are at a real disadvantage. We feel like we rushed during matches, we have to make sure there are prizes, and submit results/funds & go for approval. Do you know how hard it is to get events approved? The first time you go for approval Kai-V will give you the third degree.

I do these tournaments because I want to. I don't get paid anything to to do this. I lose money more then anything. With basic prizes I lose at least $10usd per event. Im lucky to break even.

(Dec. 04, 2012  10:02 PM)Coach Wrote: The thing with hosts like Dark_Mousy is he invests a lot of time into his blading that's why he's so good not because he's the host. That's his advantage as well as many other hosts on here.

This is why Im good. I spend hours testing and searching the forums for what works and what doesn't work. When I come to an event I have a general idea of what will be played. In Zero G i know MOST will go the safe route and use Dragooon BD. I think "Hmm... What will counter this and other stuff" It takes time to be good. The moment you go to a tournament to "Win" is the moment you take all the fun out of this game.

Coach and Kai-V pretty much summed it up.
I'm not a host or have ever been in a tournament but it's your money u spend on prizes and a venue that u should be able to do whatever you want and just ignore the people that are judgmental when they lose it's their fault they're buying their kids Hasbro blades instead of takara tomy's
No, the host and judges should not be allowed to enter the the tournament otherwise its to easy to fix the tournament so only people they know win. the only way to allow everyone to enter is allow the other bladers to judge as well so its a group final answer that how you fix that issue.
What? How the heck would that happen?
(Apr. 12, 2013  4:12 AM)Demon Blader Wrote: No, the host and judges should not be allowed to enter the the tournament otherwise its to easy to fix the tournament so only people they know win. the only way to allow everyone to enter is allow the other bladers to judge as well so its a group final answer that how you fix that issue.

That's how it is already. Hosts & judges can not judge their own battles to be fair.
I know this is a necro (I'm almost positive I spelled that wrong..) But when I place in a tournament I host its not that I feel bad, It's that I feel that parents and sometimes the kids think my tournaments are rigged, I even got bashed at my second tournament for cheating, I run the brackets on my laptop and I let everyone have access to see the brackets (of course they can't insert their own scores/manipulate scores). I can't really celebrate if I win but I can act like "oh well this was expected" (which if ur a MI blader you know this is my brother's attitude lol). Another worry of mine is that parents will not want to bring their kids into a "rigged game" and stop bringing their children to tournaments and it wouldn't help that usually me and my brother place, on top of that he is one of my main judges and we both are the oldest bladers there.