Ridiculous School Rules

Disclamer: Slight tangent about rules in general. Feel free to ignore me.
Just transferred to a new school this year with strict phone, internet, and homework policies. I don't get it...at my old high school, kids would go on Facebook during class and I had a friend who would literally watch tv shows during chemistry and the teachers didn't care. Sounds crazy, but if you think about it, it should be your decision how, or even if, you want to learn. The way I see it is that if you want to text in class, you should be able to go ahead. After all, you're just punishing yourself by not paying attention and it will come back around by the time you get tested on the material you ignored. Homework is just to benefit you, so if you don't do that, again, you're just punishing yourself. I just think it should be the student's decision whether or not they want to learn in class. Getting told that I can't use my phone in passing time or go on Facebook during lunch doesn't make sense to me.
(Aug. 28, 2013  9:51 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Disclamer: Slight tangent about rules in general. Feel free to ignore me.
Just transferred to a new school this year with strict phone, internet, and homework policies. I don't get it...at my old high school, kids would go on Facebook during class and I had a friend who would literally watch tv shows during chemistry and the teachers didn't care. Sounds crazy, but if you think about it, it should be your decision how, or even if, you want to learn. The way I see it is that if you want to text in class, you should be able to go ahead. After all, you're just punishing yourself by not paying attention and it will come back around by the time you get tested on the material you ignored. Homework is just to benefit you, so if you don't do that, again, you're just punishing yourself. I just think it should be the student's decision whether or not they want to learn in class. Getting told that I can't use my phone in passing time or go on Facebook during lunch doesn't make sense to me.

You should realise that you could be disturbing other students around you who might desire to actually concentrate and listen to the important courses even if you watch things mutely, and that you are extremely impolite towards the teacher. Personally, all the schools I have gone to had a similar policy except in university, and while it was indeed irritating to endure, it makes total sense. Things are also made obligatory to all students because it would be unfair to only target the "special needs" students and make them have to do homework and not watch things during classes while everyone else does it. Sure, whenever such global rules are made, there is a certain small percentage who could do it and not be disadvantaged by it, but other individuals who might believe they are able to reproduce their classmate's nonchalance might in fact end up failing. For instance, where I live, driving while holding a cellphone is illegal. Most of the time, there will be no accidents related to that behaviour, but people doing this are usually all driving dangerously, and people who think they are able to mix both actions have high chances of doing something horrible.

(By the way, do not take "you" as being totally targeted to you; English does not necessarily help anyone differentiate an impersonal "you".)
Yah, I never really felt the need to go on my phone (though that might partially be due to the fact that it was a flip phone Tongue_out) but at my old high school, kids would be on there iPads taking pictures of teachers on some app then drawing rude, disgusting, and disturbing stuff around/on them. It was pathetic really.
My new school only allows phones during lunches, but I never feel the need, even when I have my iPad right in front of me during classes, to go on anything non-school related.
You guys are all gonna hate this rule:
In elementary school, any beyblades found would be thrown in the trash and the owners of the beys would have lunch AND after school detention just for pulling the bey out for a second. This also made me extremely bored after school once my homework was done....
(Aug. 29, 2013  4:26 AM)Bazooka Wrote: You guys are all gonna hate this rule:
In elementary school, any beyblades found would be thrown in the trash and the owners of the beys would have lunch AND after school detention just for pulling the bey out for a second. This also made me extremely bored after school once my homework was done....

Noooo!! I feel bad for the Bladers at your old elementary school!!Unhappy that's just messed up!!
Grab your pitchforks, it's mob time!

I think that is complete rubbish. They have no right to take away personal things permanently, and you really should've complained to your parents.
I'm going to beat up an innocent XTS top now...

Well, it is technically a toy, and most elementary schools do not allow toys from outside of school unless it's for show and tell and is okay to show.

And when the metal series first came out, a lot of kids that bought them were accidentally cutting their fingers while trying to grab them, so I can see why they'd do that. Still sucks though.

Does this technically make elementary school staff the Tetsuya Watarigani of the real world? Gasp
A year ago my school did not allow you to kick soccer balls, basket balls, tennis balls, etc.
(Aug. 29, 2013  3:56 AM)Kai-V Wrote: You should realise that you could be disturbing other students around you who might desire to actually concentrate and listen to the important courses even if you watch things mutely, and that you are extremely impolite towards the teacher. Personally, all the schools I have gone to had a similar policy except in university, and while it was indeed irritating to endure, it makes total sense. Things are also made obligatory to all students because it would be unfair to only target the "special needs" students and make them have to do homework and not watch things during classes while everyone else does it. Sure, whenever such global rules are made, there is a certain small percentage who could do it and not be disadvantaged by it, but other individuals who might believe they are able to reproduce their classmate's nonchalance might in fact end up failing. For instance, where I live, driving while holding a cellphone is illegal. Most of the time, there will be no accidents related to that behaviour, but people doing this are usually all driving dangerously, and people who think they are able to mix both actions have high chances of doing something horrible.

(By the way, do not take "you" as being totally targeted to you; English does not necessarily help anyone differentiate an impersonal "you".)
I think it's extremely rude as well, but I think students should have the option of whether or not they chose to study. I was actually sitting next to my friend in class & she had headphones in so it wasn't distracting; still, I get where you're coming from. My belief is just that we should be able to decide these things for ourselves. If, for instance, someone was listening to music and I could hear it during class, I would definitely tell them to turn it down, but often times the only person you're hurting is yourself. Since our society is shifting towards such a heavy reliance on technology during class, I have a feeling rules regarding their usage will eventually become more relaxed. Hell, my sister wass going into 6th grade this year and her school required her to buy an iPad.
(Aug. 29, 2013  9:37 PM)The Supreme One Wrote:
(Aug. 29, 2013  3:56 AM)Kai-V Wrote: You should realise that you could be disturbing other students around you who might desire to actually concentrate and listen to the important courses even if you watch things mutely, and that you are extremely impolite towards the teacher. Personally, all the schools I have gone to had a similar policy except in university, and while it was indeed irritating to endure, it makes total sense. Things are also made obligatory to all students because it would be unfair to only target the "special needs" students and make them have to do homework and not watch things during classes while everyone else does it. Sure, whenever such global rules are made, there is a certain small percentage who could do it and not be disadvantaged by it, but other individuals who might believe they are able to reproduce their classmate's nonchalance might in fact end up failing. For instance, where I live, driving while holding a cellphone is illegal. Most of the time, there will be no accidents related to that behaviour, but people doing this are usually all driving dangerously, and people who think they are able to mix both actions have high chances of doing something horrible.

I think it's extremely rude as well, but I think students should have the option of whether or not they chose to study. I was actually sitting next to my friend in class & she had headphones in so it wasn't distracting; still, I get where you're coming from. My belief is just that we should be able to decide these things for ourselves. If, for instance, someone was listening to music and I could hear it during class, I would definitely tell them to turn it down, but often times the only person you're hurting is yourself. Since our society is shifting towards such a heavy reliance on technology during class, I have a feeling rules regarding their usage will eventually become more relaxed. Hell, my sister was going into 6th grade this year and her school required her to buy an iPad.
It also makes them stop learning, turning school into a daycare. It really is fair, even though you only want to use a phone or whatnot to mess around all day.
I don't see any problem with this rule.
(Aug. 29, 2013  9:47 PM)Akio314 Wrote: It also makes them stop learning, turning school into a daycare. It really is fair, even though you only want to use a phone or whatnot to mess around all day.
Huh? No one would be forced stop learning if they didn't have the electronic policy. It would simply be their own decision how, or if, they chose to learn. The only person who benefits from school is you. I'm sorry, but are you criticizing me? I never said I wanted to "mess around on a phone all day;" this was just something I wanted to discuss. In fact, I never used my phone during classes in the first place. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say lol
(Aug. 29, 2013  9:57 PM)The Supreme One Wrote:
(Aug. 29, 2013  9:47 PM)Akio314 Wrote: It also makes them stop learning, turning school into a daycare. It really is fair, even though you only want to use a phone or whatnot to mess around all day.
Huh? No one would be forced stop learning if they didn't have the electronic policy. It would simply be their own decision how, or if, they chose to learn. The only person who benefits from school is you. I'm sorry, but are you criticizing me? I never said I wanted to "mess around on a phone all day;" this was just something I wanted to discuss. In fact, I never used my phone during classes in the first place. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say lol
I used to use my phone in class all the time ;p (I wouldn't recommend it) and the only person it distracted was me Uncertain nobody else was enthralled with the enchantment that was my fingers tapping across a screen... I'm not sure how this can distract other students who are not willing to be distracted.
(Aug. 29, 2013  10:02 PM)Switchblad3r Wrote: nobody else was enthralled with the enchantment that was my fingers tapping across a screen...
Actually Lol'd over this sentence...oh my god. lmaoo Tongue_out
I'm sorry, but are you criticizing me?
That's pretty funny.
I just think you're kinda challenging "Ridiculous" with your "Minor Annoyance"

You having that attitude just shows that these are not ridiculous rules. You just try your best to brake them.
(Aug. 29, 2013  4:41 PM)AZL Wrote: A year ago my school did not allow you to kick soccer balls, basket balls, tennis balls, etc.
I got lunch detention once for kicking a ball in the woods once too. The punishment isn't rediculous, I'm just pointing it out
We are not allowed to have long hair or they would have to cut it ;(
My new high school is pretty good, but here are some lovely rules from my old high school.

Hair below collar? One day to cut it or detention.
Hair below or on eyebrows? One day to cut it or detention.
Not wearing a belt? Detention.
Shirt untucked? Detention.
Late for prayer during lunch? Saturday detention.
Not wearing dress shoes during mass? Detention.
Got a backpack during class? Detention.

There were more, this is just what I remember.
My high school had some weird rules:
.8 visible stripes on tie at least, or else it's detention.
.No other items other than school stuff(e.g toys, cards, games, sweets) or else it goes in the bin.
.you mustn't wear a coat under any circumstances, or else it's a detention of 30 minutes.
.Do not shrug your shoulders.
.Do not point at anything, it's rude.
.Hair cannot be longer than 30cm ruler length.
.Wear black socks or else, also no odd socks.
.You must do your top button, or, you guessed it, detention.
.You must tuck your shirt in, or that's a whopping detention.
.No cakes, chocolates, sweets or buscuits as part of dinner/pack lunch, only fruit as an alternative, because it's unhealthy, but we have chips and pizza???
Is your school a prison by any chance?
(Aug. 29, 2014  8:06 PM)Dual Wrote: Is your school a prison by any chance?

Calling my school a prison is an insult to prisons out there haha.
I would like to submit a formal apology to all prisons I insulted with my senseless statement.

But why don't you transfer out?
(Aug. 29, 2014  8:15 PM)Dual Wrote: I would like to submit a formal apology to all prisons I insulted with my senseless statement.

But why don't you transfer out?

I can't, this was the only high school near my location, plus they thought it was fair.
That sucks. Good luck in sticking it out, I'd never survive in an environment like that.
(Aug. 29, 2014  8:18 PM)Dual Wrote: That sucks. Good luck in sticking it out, I'd never survive in an environment like that.

Nope, I'm finished now, I'm going to college Smile

But I barely made it with those hostile conditions.