Random Thoughts 5 - READ RULES IN FIRST POST

(Dec. 07, 2014  3:55 PM)FlyingWaffle Wrote: You've been a huge help! I bought both this and Genki. When they get here, I shall study hard core (as much as school and practise allows >_>) and relay which one I think is better (might take a few months <_<).

I don't know about the book that ~Stoney~ suggested, but the thing that I don't like about Genki is that it doesn't cover kana very well, it is sort of expected that you know that already when you start. I would suggest downloading a hiragana chart and a stroke-order chart and learning one new set each day. So for example on Sunday you could learn あ、い、う、え、お and then on Monday you could move on to か、き、く、け、こ and so on. Work on your memorization using Realkana.com and once you're finished move on to katakana and do the same thing.

JapanesePod101 has a series of videos on YouTube for learning hiragana. The complete series isn't put up, as they want you to pay to use their site, but it's good for learning some vocab and maybe getting started on your hiragana. But they didn't put up videos for the last three sets, so don't rely on them too much. They have lots of other video series for vocab as well.

(Dec. 07, 2014  5:59 PM)~Stoney~ Wrote: You're very welcome. Smile I hope you will be successful with those books. Maybe we can chat in Japanese in a few months? Wink
I'll check out the book as well. I started Genki but I'm not doing very well with my kana. I have a lot memorized, but it's really easy to forget stuff so I'm going back and working on memorization. I also have yet to begin katakana. I'll let you know what I think. Perhaps in a few months we could make a Japanese language thread to help practice?

(Dec. 07, 2014  10:17 AM)FlyingWaffle Wrote: How would you recommend one gets listening and pronunciation practise?

Genki comes with as CD. You just listen to how they say the words and try to repeat them accurately. As for listening practice, I listen to talk shows on Japanese radio stations and I watch Kamen Rider. It helps that Kamen Rider is awesome.
No mini-mod intended, but could you guys put the quotes in spoilers? All the text makes my Internet go nuts, I guess too much text data??
Some of you may have wondered about my avatar, I'll explain it. First of all, it's a spray paint stencil. I did it on my property, and it's actually spray chalk, meaning its removable with a water hose. Also, the stencil is of a Sanrio character My Melody. I have plenty stencils, but that one is the only that didn't melt in the rainstorm a few days ago.
It kind of looks like an angry goat.

But it looks cool nonetheless. Would that go in WBO Random Thoughts, though?
(Dec. 07, 2014  9:52 PM)Dual Wrote: It kind of looks like an angry goat.

But it looks cool nonetheless. Would that go in WBO Random Thoughts, though?

I guess so, but I wasn't really sure where to put it.
I have yet to find a way to fix the last page of the WBO Random Thoughts topic though, hah. No new reply can be posted in it before that can be done, so I might have to recreate the thread altogether.
(Dec. 07, 2014  7:44 PM)Wizard Wrote: I'll check out the book as well. I started Genki but I'm not doing very well with my kana. I have a lot memorized, but it's really easy to forget stuff so I'm going back and working on memorization. I also have yet to begin katakana. I'll let you know what I think. Perhaps in a few months we could make a Japanese language thread to help practice?

That sounds like a wonderful idea! Smile I'm sure there are many people here, who would appreciate such a thread.
Has anyone seen the commercial for Fatheads? I saw it for the first time just now and the last line made me laugh harder than it should have at the end when the girl said "thank you mommy, for my Fathead."
(Dec. 08, 2014  3:42 AM)Dual Wrote: Has anyone seen the commercial for Fatheads? I saw it for the first time just now and the last line made me laugh harder than it should have at the end when the girl said "thank you mommy, for my Fathead."

Thing is, I thought they were bobble heads or something in that nature, given that they are FatHeads, but they're posters. More specifically, wall posters and nothing else. Pretty lame.
They are, but it was amusing seeing all those kids talk about their fat heads.
(Dec. 08, 2014  4:15 AM)Dual Wrote: They are, but it was amusing seeing all those kids talk about their fat heads.
^^
I'm going to sig that. LMAO

I must've missed that commercial, considering that I was huddled up in a corner, on the internet. XD

Who thinks they can survive without the Internet? I can't. Chocked_2
(Dec. 08, 2014  4:23 AM)Ken Wrote:
(Dec. 08, 2014  4:15 AM)Dual Wrote: They are, but it was amusing seeing all those kids talk about their fat heads.
^^

I must've missed that commercial, considering that I was huddled up in a corner, on the internet. XD

I'll die of boredom in that case.
^^

I'm flattered, haha, thanks.

I think I'd be alright, as long as I had an iPhone so I could text my friends without Internet.
^^

I would develop ADHD/ADD, if that's even possible. Jk Tongue_out.
(Dec. 08, 2014  7:04 AM)BURGER KING Wrote:
^^

As someone who actually has that, I take major offense to that. Just kidding, but i do actually have ADHD. It's a pretty normal disorder though; you just can't pay attention for longer than 2 minutes. On the subject of surviving without Internet, a few years ago before iPods weren't rampant, and we wouldn't have the clinging mindset of the Internet we'd survive.
(Dec. 08, 2014  7:04 AM)BURGER KING Wrote:
^^

Wait,what's ADHD/ADD ? Chocked_2
Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder.
Well, guys. Here's to the gigantic-carp storm in California, and that my mom is letting me stay home because of it
(Dec. 11, 2014  4:16 PM)IncognitoCreepa Wrote: Well, guys. Here's to the gigantic-carp storm in California, and that my mom is letting me stay home because of it

I heard a ton of people don't have power because of it. It's snowing where I live, I freaking hate snow.
Whereas you dont like snow, I wish I could get some again this year. Since I live in NC, we get as cold as possible WITHOUT snowing, which sucks.

I love the snow, especially with how often I visit my grandparents in West Virginia.
Snow? You mean that white powder of DOOM that FALLS FROM THE SKIES!!?!?!?

EVIL!!!! Seriously, if snow even touches me I think I would explode. Anything under 90 degrees Fahrenheit is too cold. Texas is far too cold for me. I miss Arizona T_T

If you hear of snow in Dallas/Fort Worth, and I stop logging on, you'll know why.
Last winter was freezing cold and I live in Louisiana...
Everybody on here is complaining about snow, yet I am here in Canada, just wearing short sleeves and drinking a Shirley Temple on my porch. Get over it.
(Dec. 11, 2014  7:46 PM)FlyingWaffle Wrote: Snow? You mean that white powder of DOOM that FALLS FROM THE SKIES!!?!?!?

EVIL!!!! Seriously, if snow even touches me I think I would explode. Anything under 90 degrees Fahrenheit is too cold. Texas is far too cold for me. I miss Arizona T_T

If you hear of snow in Dallas/Fort Worth, and I stop logging on, you'll know why.

EW EW EW EW EW EW NONONONO

Hah, for me anything over 85 degrees is way too hot. I would die in constant 90+ weather. I like it when it's about 60-65 degrees out, humid, and with a slight breeze, like right after a light rain. It's cool, the thicker air is pleasant, and a light breeze keeps the humidity from being annoying and keeps the perceived temperature a little lower.
(Dec. 11, 2014  9:12 PM)Hato-Bokkun Wrote: Everybody on here is complaining about snow, yet I am here in Canada, just wearing short sleeves and drinking a Shirley Temple on my porch. Get over it.

Amen. I'd totally do that, but I don't have a Shirley Temple. #canadianswag:3
(Dec. 11, 2014  11:07 PM)des!re Wrote:
(Dec. 11, 2014  9:12 PM)Hato-Bokkun Wrote: Everybody on here is complaining about snow, yet I am here in Canada, just wearing short sleeves and drinking a Shirley Temple on my porch. Get over it.

Amen. I'd totally do that, but I don't have a Shirley Temple. #canadianswag:3

Come over to my place, I have come ice cream too Wink it's a little cool out, but hey, 10 inches of snow doesn't mean we can't have ice cream outside together in short sleeves!