[Product]  B-41 Starter Wild Wyvern Vertical Orbit

(Apr. 15, 2016  4:44 PM)Shokkazuluman Wrote: Oh man that is soo cool! But wouldn't something like that be better on a Stamina type?

No, because it's still fundamentally a high-friction ball tip. The goal of the freely-rotating ball is to reduce the shock from impact, not necessarily to spin longer.
Yep, it's ideal for burst defence, not stamina.
(Apr. 15, 2016  6:24 PM)Dracomageat Wrote: Yep, it's ideal for burst defence, not stamina.

Why do you specify "Burst defense" here when this is also helpful for avoiding KOs as well? If anything, wouldn't a lower-friction tip than this be ideal for Burst defense (even though I'm still not certain the distinction is warranted)?
Because moving freely in the vertical plane is beneficial for impact force mitigation (burst defence) and actually detrimental for knockback reduction (classic defence). Yes, the width is good for the latter but that's not unique to this tip in the slightest. Massive or stalling Variable would be significantly better for classic defence.
Is that really so? So every freely-rotating ball tip before Burst actually had overall worse defense than a fixed ball of the same shape? My knowledge of physics is extremely poor, but I was thinking that the motion of the ball would mitigate how far the Beyblade itself is actually knocked back.

Either way, a loss by Burst is the same as a loss by KO (at least in WBO terms), so it seems like you'd want to use the tip that provides the highest combination of both aspects.
Yeah you could think of it in terms of pushing a ball vs. pushing a box in a sense.

Because it's free rolling, friction forces that would normally help stop movement along the surface would actually generate movement in the free-rolling ball, in the direction of where the force is applied. Or in other words if you pushed a ball in a dome it'd move farther up the slope than if you just pushed a regular box.

Now this is good for burst defense because this is saying that there should be a lower impact because after the impact the beyblade is moving with the force but that also means there's more recoil and we're assuming that's really bad for KO defense.

I'm basing this off basic Momentum and Kinematic equations but only in the 2D so there's a lot of room for improvement in these assumptions.

EDIT: I can elaborate on all this w/ diagrams but uhh it'll be a long post
(Apr. 15, 2016  8:20 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Is that really so? So every freely-rotating ball tip before Burst actually had overall worse defense than a fixed ball of the same shape? My knowledge of physics is extremely poor, but I was thinking that the motion of the ball would mitigate how far the Beyblade itself is actually knocked back.

Most previous free-moving ball tips have been hemispheres, able to rotate only in the horizontal plane, have they not? And the Draciel ones I've tried that weren't were so tight that they were only the littlest bit free-moving. I cannot acertain how it works in practice but the theory is as Takowowo says.

Pushing a flat object, the counter-force from the surface (generally friction) pushes back and adds to the force needed to move it. Pushing a rollable object, some of that counter-force goes into rotating the object instead of preventing motion, meaning comparitively less force is needed to move it.

However, interestingly enough, this also effects the force the beyblade generates, meaning that a ball tip that is free to move in the vertical plane will rotate and prevent some of the tip's motion, making fully free-moving ball tips significantly less aggressive than their stationary breatheren.
This can most clearly be seen in the difference between the two second gen Battle Strikers' ball tips and how the metal one (the free one) moves like a defense type in a standard beystadium while the plastic (stationary) one is highly aggressive in its motion.

Orbit will be interesting and will still have decent defense from its width, even if the rotation mitigates it to a degree.
I wonder how much spin and balance that driver can give
People really need to stop saying that. There doesn't seem to be anyone who didn't call Orbit's gimmick after the first pic.
Before that, I'd've guessed some kind of Circle Ball tip or a Jade Jupiter style use of ball bearings though.
(Apr. 16, 2016  1:12 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: People really need to stop saying that. There doesn't seem to be anyone who didn't call Orbit's gimmick after the first pic.
Before that, I'd've guessed some kind of Circle Ball tip or a Jade Jupiter style use of ball bearings though.

Many assume it's like Gyro but a ball shape.
(Apr. 16, 2016  12:02 AM)Dracomageat Wrote:
(Apr. 15, 2016  8:20 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Is that really so? So every freely-rotating ball tip before Burst actually had overall worse defense than a fixed ball of the same shape? My knowledge of physics is extremely poor, but I was thinking that the motion of the ball would mitigate how far the Beyblade itself is actually knocked back.

Most previous free-moving ball tips have been hemispheres, able to rotate only in the horizontal plane, have they not?

No. They've been freely rotating balls ...

(Apr. 16, 2016  1:45 AM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote:
(Apr. 16, 2016  1:12 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: People really need to stop saying that. There doesn't seem to be anyone who didn't call Orbit's gimmick after the first pic.

Many assume it's like Gyro but a ball shape.

... like this one is. This pic makes it clear that it's not just "free-spinning."

[Image: bey_b41.jpg]
How exactly is it like Gyro but a ball tip?
(Apr. 16, 2016  2:45 AM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: How exactly is it like Gyro but a ball tip?

It's not. It has full motion, like the SDMS RC.
(Apr. 16, 2016  2:54 AM)Hato Wrote:
(Apr. 16, 2016  2:45 AM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: How exactly is it like Gyro but a ball tip?

It's not. It has full motion, like the SDMS RC.

I know it's not, but it's what Brad seemed like he said.
No, I'm saying it isn't.
Ahh so it's locked to two directions. I didn't realize that earlier but it definitely makes visualizing the movement easier.

We actually had a wilder prediction that Orbit was a combination of Massive and Unite (i.e. ball tip with substantially smaller rubber cylinder surrounding it)
(Apr. 16, 2016  10:11 PM)Takowowo Wrote: Ahh so it's locked to two directions. I didn't realize that earlier but it definitely makes visualizing the movement easier.

Where are you getting this?
I am 70% sure I'm interpreting whether or not the balls are completely full motion completely wrong at this point.
Is it really that hard to imagine it's just a ball sitting inside there that can rotate freely? We've had countless tips before that do exactly that.
I think he's referring to the picture you posted, where the arrows are pointing in a NSEW sort of fashion, which I guess could lead one to believe that those are the only directions they could move.
It also says "360 degrees" right under it though Grin
360 degrees north/south and 360 degrees east/west is still 360 degrees. Degrees don't really deal with 3D motion.

Think about the mechanics of it though. If it can rotate 360 degrees north/south and east/west, it has to be able to rotate east or west from any north/south point. Can you imagine how complex it would be to produce a tip that did that and didn't rotate completely freely? How would you even go about locking the horizontal plane like that? And why?
No, from the sheer logistics of it, we can tell that "360 degrees" does infact mean free rotation in every possible direction. Nothing else makes sense. It's just the terminology that's off, most likely because the word "steradians" means nothing to 99% of the population and 100% of their target audience.
I mean you could design a ball tip that could only rotate on one or two axis, and it'd function exactly like a chair wheel or something but a ball would essentially be the same thing and is a lot easier to produce. Yeah at this point I'm just over-complicating things for myself.
Yay! I've always wanted a ball point pen tip I know Draciel did it before, but it's nice to see it in another gen. And looking at that underside pic, it seems that Vertical isn't as hollow as Armed was.