Aug

Overly Complicated Rules

Silver Spring, Maryland
Martin Luther King jr Park
1120 Jackson Rd
  We will try to have it at the covered pavilion, but may need to use an open field near the bathroom building if it's in use
01:00 PM on 08/14/2021
Format
Burst

Most official Beyblade Burst gear can be used.

View Rulebook
Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
0 cash  

No admission fee for venue or WBO at this time

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

This is a Burst Standard format tournament, with 3v3 rules! Read carefully before deciding to register!

Host: Deceased Crab

Format: Burst Standard. Consult the rules at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mbjw...sp=sharing 

This tournament will be operating using the experimental WBO 3v3 rules identified here:
* Each Blader assembles 3 Beyblades with no repeating parts in secret. A deck box will be provided at each stadium, with spots numbered 1 through 3. Each blader uses the deck box to determine the play order of their 3 beys.
* Bladers reveal their beys and their order.
* The match then begins using the first bey from each Blader's deck box. Once a point is scored by one of those beys or a launch ends in a tie, the next beys in each Bladers' lineup will be used.
* If all 3 beys of the Bladers are used in a match, and neither Blader has yet scored 3 or more points, then the Bladers will turn around and in secret take 30 seconds to (optionally) reorder their 3 beys in the deck box how they see fit. Bladers may make one non-disassembly mode change on each of their three beys at this time, but it is limited to one mode change per bey per match.
* Bladers then reveal the new order of their beys as well as announce any mode changes.
* Play resumes using the first bey in each Blader's roster, moving on to the second or third as necessary until one of the Bladers scores the points necessary to win the match.
* This process will repeat until one of the two Bladers has won the match.
A more detailed version of these rules will be available in the tournament thread, and while we can only assume that many of you will not read them, you will still be bound by them.

If you do not have 3 beys that are legal for Burst Standard, you probably should not register.

LocationThis event will be held outdoors at Martin Luther King Jr. Park. Please note the address in the description as the park itself is quite large and typing the park name into Google Maps may lead you in the wrong direction. Look at the picture for guidance.
[Image: 209914165_329425355479803_88577279805146...e=60F28914]

Time: As the tournament will start promptly at 1:00pm, please plan to arrive around 12:00pm when registration will begin. Registration will close at 12:45pm. Confirming your attendance on the WBO event page does not substitute for registration at the venue.

Prizes: None at this time. If your only motivation is prizes, maybe skip this one. This isn't even a ranked tournament. Maybe I'll add prizes later. It is, however, using an experimental format for the first stage, which is its own reward. EDIT: Everyone gets an appropriately sized cardboard deck box that is big enough to hold 3 burst DB beys, even on the Hybrid driver.

COVID-19 Precautions READ THIS BEFORE CONFIRMING YOUR ATTENDANCE:

This event will cooperate with Montgomery County Reopening Guidelines, as well as the WBO Covid-19 Guidelines effective from last year. This effectively means that you SHOULD mask up and stay away from people when possible, but those are just Strong Recommendations now.

Other Information:

We have a 32 participant cap. 

This is not a standard "One bey per match" during the first stage tournament! This is a WBO 3v3 tournament. The rules are posted above. Bring 3 beys with non-repeating parts to each match. A deck box will be provided at each stadium. The process will be demonstrated before the tournament begins.

A WBO Account is required to participate. They're free. Go make one now, and then click "Join Tournament" if you want to participate. Do not just show up and assume everything will be okay; without an account, you will not participate in the tournament, and without registering in one of the 32 participant slots by joining the tournament, your participation is denied.

It is important that you know what your WBO account name is. Otherwise, how will you participate? We cannot look that information up for you. It would help if you were logged into the account on a smartphone when you get there.

All participants must check in with the Organizer once registration begins. If you don't check in, it doesn't matter if you register online; you won't be playing. We will make numerous announcements reminding you to check in. We will do a roll call before the tournament begins. We will give you every opportunity in the world to let us know you are present at the tournament.

Be aware of your surroundings. This is a public park. Small children will be running around, it is right next to a playground. Some of them have lax attitudes towards property ownership. It is recommended that you do not leave your beys unattended.

Please come prepared. It is helpful for both hosts and judges if all participants bring at least three Takara Tomy or Hasbro-manufactured Beyblades of their own with non-repeating parts and more than one launcher when possible. Additionally, parents of children under the age of 13 must be present for the duration of the event, as tournament end times can be difficult to estimate, and we would hate for someone to be left behind once it is over.

Be aware of your belongings. We'd advise users to please, please, please look after your stuff. While yes this is a Beyblade tournament and we're not suggesting that any of us would attempt to take each other's stuff it is still happening at a public venue where other people (who may not be so friendly) are going to be present as well. Of course, if you see a personal belonging lying around bring it up any of the judges so we can return it to the right person. Your co-operation is appreciated!

All players must arrive on time to participate. The tournament will begin no later than 1:00 PM and is expected to run for about 4 hours or less. We will start without you if you're later than than that. Please plan accordingly. If you do not arrive at the scheduled start time, you risk being excluded from the tournament. The software we use to run our events – Challonge – does not allow us to add in extra participants once the tournament has started. Once a single first round match has begun, no one else may be added.

If you know in advance that you will be late, please post in this thread or contact someone at the event and depending on the circumstances we can perhaps still include you if we know you will arrive soon.

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

You probably shouldn't attend without being registered. It's going to be crowded and possibly rainy. But, to clarify, since the WBO rules on attending tournaments during COVID-19 are now strong recommendations instead of "thou shalt not" mandates, you can probably show up even if you're not registered. Probably shouldn't.

So! It's two days out. Like I said before, probably a small chance of rain. We'll see again tomorrow. Torrential rain or thunderstorms, the tournament gets canceled. Minor rain and we have the pavilion? Tournament continues. Let your parents know that rain is possible and discuss ahead of time if they're okay with it, both for driving and sticking around a potentially rainy park for hours. I'll be there, a little rain doesn't thwart me. But everyone else? Thwarts plenty of people.

As a reminder, this is 3v3. Bring at least 3 beys with non-repeating parts! There will be deck boxes at each stadium (don't take those) but everyone gets a free deck box (without dividers in it. I have dividers in the stadium ones). Feel free to customize it as you like, but for this tournament the order of the beys will go left to right when you face the box the one way it opens.

EDIT: If anyone thinks they're going to bail because of weather, please deregister now. Lots of people would like your spot, and I'm not really doing a waitlist at the tournament.
Okay! Thanks for the heads up! I plan to be there minor rain or shine! Smile
I hope yall have fun!
DC, hope your event goes well and have fun y'all
yeah! hope everyone has fun and good luck DC for this event!
We've had some terrible storms in Columbia and Silver Spring tonight! I'm hoping the storms wear themselves out. So far a few of the other judges will be there. We're lower on judges than we'd normally have. I think we'll probably run 3 stadiums, if that. So far it looks like up to 50% chance rain. Remember, if it storms on us enough to cause local damage or torrential downpours, I'll likely stop the tournament.

This is unranked and it's storm season. Attend if you want, but you've been warned about the circumstances!
I am able to judge if need, as I plan on coming even with the rain chance.
I'll decide who the judges are. It's probably going to be bladers whose familiarity with the WBO rules I'm well convinced of. So I'm a little unlikely to have people judge who I don't know from Maryland area tournaments.
(Aug. 13, 2021  11:54 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I'll decide who the judges are. It's probably going to be bladers whose familiarity with the WBO rules I'm well convinced of. So I'm a little unlikely to have people judge who I don't know from Maryland area tournaments.

He was a great judge at my event.
(Aug. 13, 2021  11:54 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I'll decide who the judges are. It's probably going to be bladers whose familiarity with the WBO rules I'm well convinced of. So I'm a little unlikely to have people judge who I don't know from Maryland area tournaments.

I understand, that is understandable reasoning.
I'm hyped for this, hopefully I'll do well, also, my beys i ordered are supposed to be here tomorrow before 12, so hoping FedEx delivers before i gotta start heading over to the tourney

That way, if it does, i can take it with me and just try to do the stickers at the tournament, but most likely will be stickerless, especially with rain and limited amount of time I'd have while at the tourney
We're past the worst of the storms for tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll check to make sure the weather forecast hasn't significantly worsened, and will arrive around 10:30, but registration doesn't officially begin until noon. That'll give me plenty of time to make these deck boxes, and prepare for all of... this. I have about 20 of the deck boxes for people pre-made, and 6 tournament ones with dividers already in if anyone's not interested in having one (don't take those).

Registration closes at 12:45. If you arrive after 12:45PM, your participation is not guaranteed. We may let registration slide a few minutes longer, but I have a lot of announcements to go over. I'll be discussing the format mostly, making sure that everyone knows what they're doing. And then roll call, reminding people about the departure policy, etc. I know the rain and traffic and such will make things difficult for many people getting there. But getting you to the tournament is really outside of the scope of what I can and should worry about. That's between you and whoever's driving you.

If a full 32 bladers show up and it rains, we might get a little cramped under that pavilion. The tournament is still happening!

EDIT: The tournament bracket will be at https://worldbeyblade.challonge.com/x5hsyap and you can easily follow it on your phone during the tournament and you don't have to ask me how you're doing in the standings. I will be able to add and remove people as necessary tomorrow.

If you decide you're not going to the tournament, deregister so someone else can register. If you show up to the tournament but decide to leave because of rain/thunder/undead, make sure you tell the organizer! That's me. I might be wearing a hat because I got a haircut and it turns out my hair density isn't high enough to handle having a haircut this short. It's very sad for me.

Good morning bladers! The chance of rain and storms has bumped up a bit to around 58% by 3. But we have people showing up from Pennsylvania, so I'm rolling the dice on weather. As always, it's up to you and those driving you if you want to gamble on the weather.
Just wondering, wanted to ask beforehand, any chance anyone will be possibly selling anything, if possible that is
(Aug. 14, 2021  12:43 PM)RYANTHEDRAGON98 Wrote: Just wondering, wanted to ask beforehand, any chance anyone will be possibly selling anything, if possible that is

If you don't have beys that the format asks for (Which I assume you don't, since you were expecting to recieve beys today), then it's better for you to not participate.

If you do have the beys, then use what you have. If the ones that you bought online are your only ones and they didn't came, then deregister (if you registered yourself).

Chances of someone selling any bey at the tournament are very low.

Of course, if you didn't registered yourself, then it's okay ig, but you won't be able to participate on the tournament.
(Aug. 14, 2021  12:56 PM)Hollowmind8 Wrote:
(Aug. 14, 2021  12:43 PM)RYANTHEDRAGON98 Wrote: Just wondering, wanted to ask beforehand, any chance anyone will be possibly selling anything, if possible that is

If you don't have beys that the format asks for (Which I assume you don't, since you were expecting to recieve beys today), then it's better for you to not participate.

If you do have the beys, then use what you have. If the ones that you bought online are your only ones and they didn't came, then deregister.

Chances of someone selling any bey at the tournament are very low.
You clearly don't know anything about Ryan here. The amount of beys he brings with him to every tournament is huge. He has plenty of beys which he can use in this tournament format.
Yeah, my bad then. Hope everything goes fine at the tournament!
I do, and i was just asking beforehand so know if 1. DeceasedCrab would be okay with that, and 2, just to see if anyone would be possibly selling anything in general, possibly in particular (if anyone has one that they wouldn't mind selling) the DB Devil blade, or any other TT beys possibly
Well, I haven't talked to staff about anyone selling anything, so ostensibly they're not supposed to. I know Clint from Delaware hasn't been to a tournament in about a year and a half, he's been focused on his studies. Meteorology I believe! He would probably have some choice words about my decision to keep the tournament going today. I would say that no one is Officially selling anything today. And likely no one has Devil for sale unofficially. There's only one person attending who I think might have stuff they would be willing to part with, and I don't think they've done any wholesale purchases lately.

Heck I didn't even know the Devil ring was out. It looks like a recolor of Dynamite, maybe a slight parallel.

No one actually deregistered, so I'm assuming
A) Everyone's going to be there
B) A bunch of people don't realize the tournament announcements double as forum threads and aren't reading it

Probably B. We'll see who actually shows up.
I'm attending, currently dealing with clothes a.t.m., and hoping so much that my Astral Spriggan set and my complete RB set of Kulkulcan arrive before i have to start heading up there, that way, if they do arrive, i can take them with me, possibly start putting stickers on them once i arrive and get settled (or in this case, Spriggan hopefully), and might try to use him in the tourney, big BIGGG hopes right now
Same. Also does anyone have an available xtreme spare that I could buy or borrow just in case my astral set doesn't come.
Just a reminder to bladers who don't know: although Metal drivers (Metal Survive, Metal Xtreme, etc.) are strong like dash drivers, the metal nature of the tooth can also potentially wear down the teeth on your cores/chips/layers. Don't say you weren't warned!
Hey. Because of us being two hours away and the good chance of storms my brothers and myself are going to cancel 🥺. I’m really sorry.
(Aug. 14, 2021  2:03 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Just a reminder to bladers who don't know: although Metal drivers (Metal Survive, Metal Xtreme, etc.) are strong like dash drivers, the metal nature of the tooth can also potentially wear down the teeth on your cores/chips/layers. Don't say you weren't warned!

Ye they are way better on double chases

(Aug. 14, 2021  2:31 PM)Vinnymax322 Wrote: Hey. Because of us being two hours away and the good chance of storms my brothers and myself are going to cancel 🥺. I’m really sorry.

Huge rip
Update: just got a notif from FedEx saying that my stuff is out for delivery, so hopefully they'll get here soon
There's some sort of weird youth group (track team) using the pavilion. Seems suspicious. Don't know how long they'll be here but they wasted no time spreading out and absconding with most of the available space. Hopefully their presence here is temporary. They appear to be with the local high school.

Looks like we're closer to White Oak than Silver Spring, and we apparently shouldn't expect rain until 5! Hopefully the high school will go away, otherwise we play on the grass.

Folks I keep getting messages from people who say they're going to be late. It's not conducive to your tournament participation, we really Can't wait for you. The longer we wait the more chance we have of Thunderstorms.

Registration ends at 12:45. The tournament will begin close to 1 with whoever is present. I really do not recommend being late, because once a single first round match is completed, we will be unable to add new participants.