Organizer’s Quiz

On the 22nd of April, I submitted my organisers quiz, hoping to run a tournament in Australia, a country where the WBO has had no tournaments since forever.

I heard nothing from the WBO until the 9th of June, when a contributor had news for me. I was naturally excited, and went to see if I had passed. 

Instead, I found about 30 new questions there, waiting for me to answer them. I completed all the questions on the same day, and kept waiting.

Today, it is the 30th of June. It has been 3 weeks since I applied to become an organizer, and 2 months if you count my first application.

I wanna know how long it took for other people who applied? Right now, I’m not sure if I should expect to hear from them at all, and waking up every morning to see nothing is getting a bit depressing. Would it be a better idea to just withdraw my application, so it doesn’t bother the people here?
I have also taken it. Still waiting to get an answer to see if I become one
I'm also waiting for an answer
Do you guys have your community on WBO with your area's own thread.

@[OldSchool™] can you check
I know I would love to see an organizer in North East Ohio stateside, I have a strange craving to get ranked wins lol.
I really want to become one as well, will be talking the quiz today. Hope it doesn't take too long
(Jun. 30, 2018  3:49 PM)LdillyDaSilly Wrote: I really want to become one as well, will be talking the quiz today. Hope it doesn't take too long

You need fifty posts to take the organizers quiz
(Jun. 30, 2018  3:54 PM)BuilderROB Wrote:
(Jun. 30, 2018  3:49 PM)LdillyDaSilly Wrote: I really want to become one as well, will be talking the quiz today. Hope it doesn't take too long

You need fifty posts to take the organizers quiz

also you community
Well, as much as I know about the Organiser's Quiz Process, the quizes are checked and approved manually. So this might be the reason. So I guess the delay is justified. So I would say wait for a month more and you will surely get a result. But, have you tried PMing one of the committee members regarding this?
(Jun. 30, 2018  4:00 PM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote:
(Jun. 30, 2018  3:54 PM)BuilderROB Wrote: You need fifty posts to take the organizers quiz

also you community

I believe this is my 50th post. Yea!!!! Also about the community. There was already post for Arizona. I currently have enough people to do a club battle.
I submitted my quiz on May 22nd I think and I got news for it 2 weeks later, there was no new questions for me to answer except for the last one and that all I got is feedback, to which I replied to so I'm still waiting a well
(Jun. 30, 2018  3:08 PM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: Do you guys have your community on WBO with your area's own thread.

@[OldSchool™] can you check
we’ve got a Facebook page too with loads of expressions of interest.
(Jun. 30, 2018  4:07 PM)Suhasini Wrote: Well, as much as I know about the Organiser's Quiz Process, the quizes are checked and approved manually. So this might be the reason. So I guess the delay is justified. So I would say wait for a month more and you will surely get a result. But, have you tried PMing one of the committee members regarding this?
Many times.
Hey @[leosama], unfortunately there's only two active team members checking quizzes at the moment, so they haven't been able to finish reviewing your application yet ... I apologize for the delay. We will look into ensuring quizzes are handled more swiftly moving forward.

I've messaged @[OldSchool™] directly to remind him to check it as soon as possible. I do know that this past weekend and in the days leading up to it, both him and Wombat (who also checks quizzes right now) were busy preparing for the Beytuber Brawl in NY, so that contributed to the delay.
Getting new organizers for new events should be put on higher priority. I don't see why it should take more than 30 days much of the time, else that's rather slow and discouraging.

Quizzes should be taken care of in the order that they're submitted. Someone who submitted in May shouldn't be graded before someone who submitted in April. The only reason I could see priority given is if it's a region or country that has no other active organizers.

Get more graders and/or help the graders with better structuring their time. I personally find committing X amount of hours to something is better than trying to complete Y amount of things, as I am far more eager to work in something that I know will only take a certain amount of time and no more. The Pomodoro Technique alone can work wonders.

If the quizzes take too long to grade, see if there's a way you can simplify the process. How much of the quiz grading could be automated? If you give feedback on answers, how much of that feedback can be automatically generated and/or make use of canned responses? (The graders could put together a doc of canned responses (pre-written feedback) that they can copy&paste, making minor adjustments as needed, to speed up the process.)

Could you break up the quiz into multiple smaller quizzes, would that help? If anything, it's not worth grading one big quiz for someone who is so far off from being ready, and perhaps being able to turn down such people sooner would save time, especially if manual feedback is part of the process. (But I'm not sure if that's a time sink that's faced or not.)

I understand I may be way off the mark with much of what I'm saying here, as I have not tried to take the quiz myself nor do I have any knowledge on how the grading process works beyond the mentions in this thread. But these are all techniques I have done (in one form or another) to speed up completion of things, from work to what volunteer "grading" I used to do, and I hope something in these words is helpful.
(Jul. 05, 2018  3:43 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Getting new organizers for new events should be put on higher priority. I don't see why it should take more than 30 days much of the time, else that's rather slow and discouraging.

Quizzes should be taken care of in the order that they're submitted. Someone who submitted in May shouldn't be graded before someone who submitted in April. The only reason I could see priority given is if it's a region or country that has no other active organizers.

Get more graders and/or help the graders with better structuring their time. I personally find committing X amount of hours to something is better than trying to complete Y amount of things, as I am far more eager to work in something that I know will only take a certain amount of time and no more. The Pomodoro Technique alone can work wonders.

If the quizzes take too long to grade, see if there's a way you can simplify the process. How much of the quiz grading could be automated? If you give feedback on answers, how much of that feedback can be automatically generated and/or make use of canned responses? (The graders could put together a doc of canned responses (pre-written feedback) that they can copy&paste, making minor adjustments as needed, to speed up the process.)

Could you break up the quiz into multiple smaller quizzes, would that help? If anything, it's not worth grading one big quiz for someone who is so far off from being ready, and perhaps being able to turn down such people sooner would save time, especially if manual feedback is part of the process. (But I'm not sure if that's a time sink that's faced or not.)

I understand I may be way off the mark with much of what I'm saying here, as I have not tried to take the quiz myself nor do I have any knowledge on how the grading process works beyond the mentions in this thread. But these are all techniques I have done (in one form or another) to speed up completion of things, from work to what volunteer "grading" I used to do, and I hope something in these words is helpful.
Yeah, if you really want to expand the Beyblade Community all around the Globe, (I’m not a flat Earther by the way) then this should be a highly prioritised topic that you should check for as many times as possible when you login...

Just prioritise the responsibility given to you or give it to someone who has time and willing to dedicate that to help the community...
(Jul. 05, 2018  6:31 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: Yeah, if you really want to expand the Beyblade Community all around the Globe, (I’m not a flat Earther by the way) then this should be a highly prioritised topic that you should check for as many times as possible when you login...

Just prioritise the responsibility given to you or give it to someone who has time and willing to dedicate that to help the community...

I agree with having a high priority, but I disagree with the level you've put forth. I think it's fair not to force someone to do them each time they log in and then be on constant lookout. I personally think that's too excessive and even unreasonable to ask, making for a ball of stress. I've hated situations where I've been paid to do similar, and these guys aren't even getting paid.

It is more fair and efficient to someone's time to check at certain times rather than constantly, which also allows them to do multiple in one sitting.

We all have lives and I would rather be graded by someone (for anything) who is fresh and ready, their head in the right place. Depending on how many submissions come in, 1-2 days a week that are set to work on them, or an hour or two multiple days a week, might do it. Every person is a little different, but some sort of process should be worked out that fits.

We don't know the reason behind these big delays. Maybe it's a flaw in the system. Maybe there are submissions that really waste the graders' time. Personally, I find that lack of structure makes it easier for me to put things off and not do them, mismanaging my time to have none. Likely, there's some combination of things going on, but I'm not knowledgeable about the whole thing to really know.
(Jul. 05, 2018  9:51 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Jul. 05, 2018  6:31 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: Yeah, if you really want to expand the Beyblade Community all around the Globe, (I’m not a flat Earther by the way) then this should be a highly prioritised topic that you should check for as many times as possible when you login...

I agree with having a high priority, but I disagree with the level you've put forth. I think it's fair not to force someone to do them each time they log in and then be on constant lookout. I personally think that's too excessive and even unreasonable to ask, making for a ball of stress. I've hated situations where I've been paid to do similar, and these guys aren't even getting paid.

It is more fair and efficient to someone's time to check at certain times rather than constantly, which also allows them to do multiple in one sitting.

We all have lives and I would rather be graded by someone (for anything) who is fresh and ready, their head in the right place. Depending on how many submissions come in, 1-2 days a week that are set to work on them, or an hour or two multiple days a week, might do it. Every person is a little different, but some sort of process should be worked out that fits.

We don't know the reason behind these big delays. Maybe it's a flaw in the system. Maybe there are submissions that really waste the graders' time. Personally, I find that lack of structure makes it easier for me to put things off and not do them, mismanaging my time to have none. Likely, there's some combination of things going on, but I'm not knowledgeable about the whole thing to really know.

How about like on weekends? Cuz this has to be kind of regular right?
(Jul. 06, 2018  8:30 AM)ThePheonix Wrote: How about like on weekends? Cuz this has to be kind of regular right?

Whatever works for each grader, I'd say. Some people work on the weekends. Some people might find it easier to put in time MWF so they can chill on the weekend. As long as it's getting done, the exact day doesn't matter, I feel.

However, the graders and committee are in a better position to identify what's causing the holdup. Might just be that grading is really slow (need ways to make grading easier) or the graders have more than just grading to do (help graders focus on grading). Might be multiple different things. I'm just making guesses and hoping something helps.
(Jul. 08, 2018  1:41 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Jul. 06, 2018  8:30 AM)ThePheonix Wrote: How about like on weekends? Cuz this has to be kind of regular right?

Whatever works for each grader, I'd say. Some people work on the weekends. Some people might find it easier to put in time MWF so they can chill on the weekend. As long as it's getting done, the exact day doesn't matter, I feel.

However, the graders and committee are in a better position to identify what's causing the holdup. Might just be that grading is really slow (need ways to make grading easier) or the graders have more than just grading to do (help graders focus on grading). Might be multiple different things. I'm just making guesses and hoping something helps.

That was just a suggestion because usually, weekends are when people decide to take some time out to do things...
(Jul. 08, 2018  7:11 AM)ThePheonix Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2018  1:41 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Whatever works for each grader, I'd say. Some people work on the weekends. Some people might find it easier to put in time MWF so they can chill on the weekend. As long as it's getting done, the exact day doesn't matter, I feel.

That was just a suggestion because usually, weekends are when people decide to take some time out to do things...
Some people even keep weekends to chill out and relax after the hectic week. So yeah, I agree to Frostic Fox that the days should be the grader's choice.
(Jul. 08, 2018  8:08 AM)Suhasini Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2018  7:11 AM)ThePheonix Wrote: That was just a suggestion because usually, weekends are when people decide to take some time out to do things...
Some people even keep weekends to chill out and relax after the hectic week. So yeah, I agree to Frostic Fox that the days should be the grader's choice.
maybe the WBO could find some ppl who have a lot of free time ? or have an answer sheet that they can compare it to ??
(Jul. 08, 2018  8:11 AM)leosama Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2018  8:08 AM)Suhasini Wrote: Some people even keep weekends to chill out and relax after the hectic week. So yeah, I agree to Frostic Fox that the days should be the grader's choice.
maybe the WBO could find some ppl who have a lot of free time ? or have an answer sheet that they can compare it to ??
? Oh god leosama! But maybe you are right? But with the rules being updated every month, it might be a little difficult. After all, graders too have a life other than WBO are obviously are trying their best to get the queue going.
Edit: But leosama, I din't think it's the question if being 'Free' here, it's also about responsibility. You don't select a grader because he is free, you choose him because you know that he will stand up to his responsibility and do the right thing. After all, quizes have a lot of things to be assessed upon.
Like I said, we don't know the whole story. We're throwing solutions at a black box that we just know isn't spitting out certain results fast enough. We don't know what's in the box, what's on the other side.

Maybe the graders are too busy in real life lately, maybe they're not. Maybe they have too many other WBO responsibilities along with grading, maybe not. Maybe they get a bunch of quizzes and go through more than we think. I know I'm no psychic.

Automating as much of the grading as possible, either with some software or just canned responses, might be a big help, no matter what the issue is. But I can't be sure if those things are employed already or not.

Hard to know the answers when you really don't know the full story. We're just guessing and hoping something helps, really.
@[~Mana~], I am sorry for tagging you, but you are the only one I think that can tell us what exactly is going on and can answer leosama's question? Because I am pretty sure you would have kept an eye on this for a while.
(Jul. 08, 2018  8:08 AM)Suhasini Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2018  7:11 AM)ThePheonix Wrote: That was just a suggestion because usually, weekends are when people decide to take some time out to do things...

Just a suggestion. That's how I work things out so I have more portion of the 24. Other than school and stuff. Plus, I wouldn't call it labor.