Is Beyblade Sexist?

(Apr. 02, 2020  6:41 PM)LOL-y Rancher Wrote:
(Apr. 02, 2020  6:29 PM)snoc Wrote: That person was referring to not Kaiser Kerbeus, but their random combo one.

Yeah, I know they were referring to a random combo with a K2 Layer. What's your point?

you said "I had no idea" so I thought you where saying something like: I didn't know that someone else had a Kerbeus or something like that, but whatev
(Apr. 02, 2020  7:03 PM)snoc Wrote:
(Apr. 02, 2020  6:41 PM)LOL-y Rancher Wrote: Yeah, I know they were referring to a random combo with a K2 Layer. What's your point?

you said "I had no idea" so I thought you where saying something like: I didn't know that someone else had a Kerbeus or something like that, but whatev

Ah I see, thank you for clearing it up. Yeah, I know other background characters own a generic combo using Kerbeus, but I didn't know anyone else (outside of Kensuke or Kyle) referred to their beys by their combo names.

But yeah, apologies for going off-topic with this thread here. I don't know if I would call Beyblade sexist, it just has some elements that could be deemed as such. Not helped by the fact that the higher ups have forbidden Hiro Mirota from creating major female characters so who knows. They still included female bladers, even if their roles aren't quite as big and haven't demonized them for their genders.
Yeah, I’m sure in the Beyblade anime world, there are tons of girls who like to blade.
Probably it because of the target demographic rather than sexist then again just like snoc said its the editor fault maybe because they want to avoid girls using inappropriate clothing in the summer poster or something like that
I once heard somewhere that Gwyn was sussposed to be a female, but Hiro's crew disagree to that.
Gwyn does kinda look like a girl. You see, I don’t think if gywn was a girl, would decrease sales at all. I’d actually think it might’ve made it rise in sales as it’s something new, and genesis is a good blade. And nobody imo would care if gwyn was a girl. But I guess it is what it is
(Apr. 03, 2020  4:10 PM)AcressVN Wrote: I once heard somewhere that Gwyn was sussposed to be a female, but Hiro's crew disagree to that.

thats prob true based on other things I heard as well
Honestly, if I’ve never watched GT before, and I saw gwyn. I’d probably had thought he was a girl.
Well I dunno if it's really sexist as its targeted towards boys. But the leader of BC Sol is Kristina, and she also is president of the WBBA I'm pretty sure? So they have a strong female character, but you're right about the lack of unique female bladers.
As a female fan of the series, I have no complaints about the cast being incommensurately male.  I'm not looking for someone who physically resembles me, I am looking for entertainment and escapism.  Furthermore, I am offended when people think I need a female Jedi or a female ghostbuster to care about a story, or that I will forgive an atrociously bad script for it.
Sexist is a strong word and I don’t think burst is at all. At same it would be really nice to prominent female blader for more representation. Past beyblade series had many female characters who were really cool and it would be nice.
It's not so much that Beyblade itself is sexist, but that many parts of Japanese culture are inherently sexist. There's a mindset out there that is incredibly backwards when it comes to female and non-binary representation in media. Either it's done extremely badly (because they have no frame of reference) or it's not done at all. Beyblade's editors have opted for the "almost not at all" strategy, which is awful in its own way.

So yes, Beyblade is indirectly sexist, much like most other media in Japan. It's a strong word, but it's true.
Now I'm gonna strongly support here! Burst got limited ethnicity, sex equality! I've not seen a strong female blader after Metal Fusion, and not a strong blader of different race since Metal Masters. Burst is clearly lacking this portion. I mean just like BuilderROB just said the anime is more of a promotion towards the actual promotion, and it is targeted towards boys, since Barbies usually targets girls even if you have male dolls.
if we get a female blader who shows some relevance in SuperKing then i will be the happiest beyblade fan on the face of the earth
(Apr. 02, 2020  6:09 PM)JavariTheChamp Wrote: Although this rule doesn’t apply to used to be/super important characters like shu, phi, valt. You don’t see people running around with god Valkyrie or Spriggan requiems in gt and Cho z

That would be HILARIOUS!!!
Beyblade isnt really sexist in terms of marketing, since people have been using marketing techniques throughout time. It certainly isnt rare, like how certain shows are targeted for girls but boys also enjoy them. Beyblade is just constantly advertised for boys and is also put into the boys’ toys section in stores. For the anime, the first couple generations incorporated a certain number of female Bladers (moreso than what Burst did). In the anime, theres no intended sexism though some implications that boys are more into it

However, what IS sexist is the Burst series’s case. Hiro Morita wanted to create a major female character but the idea was rejected and therefore, no major female Bladers really existed
(Apr. 10, 2020  2:09 AM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: Beyblade isnt really sexist in terms of marketing, since people have been using marketing techniques throughout time. It certainly isnt rare, like how certain shows are targeted for girls but boys also enjoy them. Beyblade is just constantly advertised for boys and is also put into the boys’ toys section in stores. For the anime, the first couple generations incorporated a certain number of female Bladers (moreso than what Burst did). In the anime, theres no intended sexism though some implications that boys are more into it

However, what IS sexist is the Burst series’s case. Hiro Morita wanted to create a major female character but the idea was rejected and therefore, no major female Bladers really existed

You’re back!
(Apr. 10, 2020  2:09 AM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: Beyblade isnt really sexist in terms of marketing, since people have been using marketing techniques throughout time. It certainly isnt rare, like how certain shows are targeted for girls but boys also enjoy them. Beyblade is just constantly advertised for boys and is also put into the boys’ toys section in stores. For the anime, the first couple generations incorporated a certain number of female Bladers (moreso than what Burst did). In the anime, theres no intended sexism though some implications that boys are more into it

Senpai, you've returned!

Wow….I’ve missed a lot on this site. Umm, honestly, at least the Original series and the Metal saga’s has some good female characters or ones that got something (Emily, Sophia, Salima), heck Mariah’s a fan favorite…though she’s never gotten her own bey. Mal and Madoka exceptionally were handled well, actually getting involved in the sport, heck Madoka saved Rock Leone from being broken beyond repair.

The issue is with execution. Its cool V Force added Hillary but people could find her equally annoying or equally endearing. And yeah Christina is an good supporting character, but its kinda odd Burst is the only series where only two female supporting characters are active bladers but neither of them have their own unique bey. And the sad part is Sasha and Ichika pretty damn cool as characters overall, at least they were interesting and got more to do than some other characters in their own season (no shade to God/GT).

And I know some female bladers have had a bad problem with The Worf Effect, but you can have a string of losses and still have a meaningful battle/win/loss or still have character development.

Seriously, I’m pretty sure despite the editors (which let’s be real, some editors have screwed up or stopped their mangakas/writers from exploring more could details), but you’d think the fan demand would over ride this by now. Fan demands vs editors sometimes works out in the fan’s favor….like Morita isn’t sexist, heck no, but his editors are. If they weren’t they would let him do it, cuz its clear he can do it well.

Seriously, even anime fans point out battle, toy shonen (wait does Beyblade count as shonen), female characters are kinda inconsistent overall, but we’ve seen before they’ve done effort. Any writer should be able to write any character regardless of what gender they are.

Like I don’t think a female would be immediately interested or necessarily need a female rep. Like yeah write more female characters, just write them well, and people will gravitate regardless of the gender. But that’s my point, if you can do it or in Beyblade Burst’s case, write 66% to 95% characters well and all of them just so happen to be male, changing the genders for like 1-3 out of 16 for another season and keep the consistent writing shouldn’t be hard.

Maybe its the WMGST minor in me…but I don’t think Beyblade is sexist, and not Japan in its entirety either since while there is a lot o sexism from what I’ve known, in their writing, they’re above and beyond the west in some cases. I just don’t think Morita should be limited. Just let him make a cool cat who just happens to be a female.

If they won’t let him, I might as well start writing that fanfic one day.
You're all forgetting about Sophie with Grand Cetus and Mei-Mei with Aquario. But it's more of a marketing thing. Beyblades are a "boys toy".
(Apr. 12, 2020  4:14 AM)MysticZone Wrote: You're all forgetting about Sophie with Grand Cetus and Mei-Mei with Aquario. But it's more of a marketing thing. Beyblades are a "boys toy".

This thread is mostly about the Burst series, where no female blader has a unique Beyblade.
As we all noticed so far, yes, most of this “lack of female Bladers” thing is mostly in Burst. And apparently, more people are starting to release something is up when Morita’s idea for a female Blader is rejected more than once. No surprise for sneaking in feminine designs for newer characters, I suppose. A weird loophole-ish thing to do but Im not complaining. Some female fans do want some more female Bladers, but of course, theres the crowd who also watches just to look at the boys
The funny thing is that in the dub, the protagonists (Valt, Aiga< Drum) are voiced by women.
(Apr. 12, 2020  2:18 PM)Nitrogenic Wrote: The funny thing is that in the dub, the protagonists (Valt, Aiga< Drum) are voiced by women.

Pretty sure they're voiced By women in the Japanese version as well. They do that for younger kid characters because then you don’t have to replace the voice actor often and also, these voice actors can just replicate kid voices well.
Yeah most anime’s it’s like that. Naruto/Boruto, Dragon Ball, Ect
(Apr. 12, 2020  2:18 PM)Nitrogenic Wrote: The funny thing is that in the dub, the protagonists (Valt, Aiga< Drum) are voiced by women.

Them being voiced by females in either dub doesn’t really have to do with this topic though especially since 90% of shows/animes do this.