Hasbro's Beyblade Burst: OUT in Canada, First Photos [LOTS of images]

Hypnofist, I think you need to tone it down a notch. While it's true that Hasbro definitely doesn't care about the "metagame", they do care about getting repeat purchases. Beyblades that burst on a tap — like the original Storm Spriggan — are not going to help them win any.

Low performance doesn't encourage repeat purchases, so it's in their best interests to correct some of the more glaring deficiencies. And again, Takara-Tomy is likely involved and the changes are probably a result of their own observations, not Hasbro's.
One thing I could kind of see going wrong if kids don't read Beywiki or have as much knowledge on good parts or Beyblades is that any Metal Fusion fans that are still fairly young will dislike Burst for being weaker than MFB. Really unlikely as many Bladers from Metal Fusion have grown up and out of the hobby, and the ones that stayed are likely on the WBO and gaining knowledge about it. I've grown use to the slopes, and a bit on V2s, S2s and K2s aesthetics, although still not for the rest.

Hasbro probably does want the toys to work and stay resilient as long as possible, but probably doesn't know the meta like we do, Hasbro is either aware of hardcore or at least knowledgable players and want to sell them good parts or that they believe that Beyblade is just a kids game and that they wouldn't notice anything and that it's mainly for fun.
Again, if Hasbro cares about money and doesn't care about game balance, then why did they spend money to adjust the game balance? No project supervisor is going to let some engineer or artist screw around with the product design - one that Hasbro is paying huge amounts of money to licence. Taking shots in the dark and changing things around just for the Hades Kerbecs of it does not make sense from a financial standpoint unless Hasbro is planning to gain something from it.

EDIT: woops, took way too long thinking this over without refreshing the page ._.
They obviously spent more time fixing TT's glaring issues than marketing or aesthetic design.
(Sep. 05, 2016  4:51 AM)Cake Wrote: Again, if Hasbro cares about money and doesn't care about game balance, then why did they spend money to adjust the game balance? No project supervisor is going to let some engineer or artist screw around with the product design - one that Hasbro is paying huge amounts of money to licence. Taking shots in the dark and changing things around just for the Hades Kerbecs of it does not make sense from a financial standpoint unless Hasbro is planning to gain something from it.

EDIT: woops, took way too long thinking this over without refreshing the page ._.

Maybe that while they care about balance and not having too many OP parts or whatever, they don't know what specific parts are actually good and what is specifically bad, and therefore probably not knowing 100% of the meta, but just knows the general way of balancing the game, if that makes sense.
(Sep. 05, 2016  3:44 AM)Cake Wrote:
(Sep. 04, 2016  3:57 PM)Hypnofist Wrote:
(Sep. 02, 2016  1:34 AM)Cake Wrote: I think Hasbro knows exactly what they are doing with these changes, and is making those changes in the interest of improving the metagame, not worsening it. Attack is in a sorry state right now - super-aggressive setups are suicidal because you're as likely to Burst yourself as your opponent, and the significant wear issues that plague Valkyrie and others certainly doesn't help. By buffing Burst Resistance in general, and making Attack wheels more aggressive to compensate, Bursting becomes less of "my Deathscyther combo bumped your Deathscyther combo funny and mine is newer than yours, so you Burst" and more of a reward for particularly devastating Attack hits. It shifts Bursting to be more of an Attack-based thing (as it should be), which allows matches involving less aggressive combos to focus more on Stamina and less on trying to avoid exploding at the drop of a hat. Hasbro is making the three types more distinct and making the gameplay a little more predictable and rock-paper-scissors, which should hopefully reduce the spread of Stamina-hybrid Balance combos that have dominated both the WBO's metagame and Takara tournaments.
Sorry to say this again, but hasbro literally doesn't care about the meta in anyway. It's a toy, they changed to slopes so they don't get a slew of angry parents returning product a month after christmas. It just so happens these changes change the meta, they were not done with the meta in mind though.

Hasbro does care about game balance because it directly affects their sales, and they certainly care about money. Kids aren't stupid - back when MFB released in the US, it didn't take long for the Bladers I knew to figure out what worked and what didn't; even with some anime-induced blindness to how the game actually plays, things spread via word-of-mouth or online indicating which Beyblades were good and which ones weren't worth buying. And this is all before I started using the WBO or Beywiki; it doesn't take that many rounds to figure out that Earth is good and Dark sucks, and information like that spreads quickly in schools and playgrounds everywhere. It's in Hasbro's best interest to keep kids hyped about good parts; if you're a kid whose friend has the cool super-strong Beyblade that beats yours during recess, you're definitely running to your parents to beg them to buy you one. The strongest evidence that we have to indicate that Hasbro has been deliberately reworking game balance is the modification of several Layers, like Valtryek V2's more aggressive fins. Making alterations to parts of the Beyblade that they really don't have to makes absolutely no sense from a financial perspective. That costs time, money, and personnel; the only reason they would even bother would be that they think adjusting the properties of several Layers would benefit their sales somehow. Better game balance = happier customers = fewer "bad" Beyblades left on shelves or being returned because they're competitively useless = more $$$ for Hasbro.

I totally agree.
(Sep. 05, 2016  8:35 AM)TL14 Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2016  3:44 AM)Cake Wrote:
(Sep. 04, 2016  3:57 PM)Hypnofist Wrote: Sorry to say this again, but hasbro literally doesn't care about the meta in anyway. It's a toy, they changed to slopes so they don't get a slew of angry parents returning product a month after christmas. It just so happens these changes change the meta, they were not done with the meta in mind though.

Hasbro does care about game balance because it directly affects their sales, and they certainly care about money. Kids aren't stupid - back when MFB released in the US, it didn't take long for the Bladers I knew to figure out what worked and what didn't; even with some anime-induced blindness to how the game actually plays, things spread via word-of-mouth or online indicating which Beyblades were good and which ones weren't worth buying. And this is all before I started using the WBO or Beywiki; it doesn't take that many rounds to figure out that Earth is good and Dark sucks, and information like that spreads quickly in schools and playgrounds everywhere. It's in Hasbro's best interest to keep kids hyped about good parts; if you're a kid whose friend has the cool super-strong Beyblade that beats yours during recess, you're definitely running to your parents to beg them to buy you one. The strongest evidence that we have to indicate that Hasbro has been deliberately reworking game balance is the modification of several Layers, like Valtryek V2's more aggressive fins. Making alterations to parts of the Beyblade that they really don't have to makes absolutely no sense from a financial perspective. That costs time, money, and personnel; the only reason they would even bother would be that they think adjusting the properties of several Layers would benefit their sales somehow. Better game balance = happier customers = fewer "bad" Beyblades left on shelves or being returned because they're competitively useless = more $$$ for Hasbro.

I totally agree.

Yup. And let's not forget their surprisingly good track record. When Takara-Tomy released 4D, all the previous series Beyblades from Japan became obsolete. And what did Hasbro do? They released their own series (Fury) which maintained compatibility with their own previous series. Those "hollow" designs that everyone cried about at the time are, today, still the staple top-tier choices in the Limited Format. They even tried (though admittedly failed, first time round) to achieve the same thing with the Masters series, turning the obsolete Japanese 4-layer system into something closer to the modern product line. Takara did neither of these things. I get the feeling someone at Hasbro genuinely wants to see their product last as long (and sell as well) as possible. This sort of design-orientated thinking helps everyone - especially us. Burst may yet be another example of Hasbro doing us a silent favor.
*was a bit late to the party here*
Here are my two cents.
Honestly, I think the way Hasbro handled Burst was just a belly flop.
Takara Tomy's line looks better and the argument above has no meaning (as Burst doesn't come into my possession that fast, so parts being obsolete doesn't matter due to a "micro-metagame" effect where stuff effective in the larger metagame can be easily nullified by stuff I just throw together.
Besides, the names look reverse translated, like Hasbro came up with the Japanese ones. (Valrytek, eww, it sounds terrible. Like a foreign disease.) Basically, I'll stick with TT for christmas+birthday, and spend my cash money on other things.
(Sep. 05, 2016  2:22 PM)CentrellAvenger Wrote: *was a bit late to the party here*
Here are my two cents.
Takara Tomy's line looks better and the argument above has no meaning (as Burst doesn't come into my possession that fast, so parts being obsolete doesn't matter due to a "micro-metagame" effect where stuff effective in the larger metagame can be easily nullified by stuff I just throw together.
Besides, the names look reverse translated, like Hasbro came up with the Japanese ones. (Valrytek, eww, it sounds terrible. Like a foreign disease.) Basically, I'll stick with TT for christmas+birthday, and spend my cash money on other things.

I think the only belly flop for Hasbro was the aesthetics of the beys. They look so ugly. Other than that, I think they are designed better that TT IMO
(Sep. 05, 2016  4:53 PM)Real_ilinnuc Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2016  2:22 PM)CentrellAvenger Wrote: *was a bit late to the party here*
Here are my two cents.

I think the only belly flop for Hasbro was the aesthetics of the beys. They look so ugly. Other than that, I think they are designed better that TT IMO
Maybe, but still, I don't want to come down with Spryzel's Disease.

badum-kshh
^ xD
(Sep. 05, 2016  4:18 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: And again, Takara-Tomy is likely involved and the changes are probably a result of their own observations, not Hasbro's.

I'm curious as to why you think TT was involved with the slope mechanism. If it's true, new TT releases might use slopes too, and maybe from that point on, everything could be compatible again.

But I don't think TT ever used Hasbro's reinforced version of the beylauncher handle.
(Sep. 05, 2016  6:51 PM)-Vulcan- Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2016  4:18 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: And again, Takara-Tomy is likely involved and the changes are probably a result of their own observations, not Hasbro's.

I'm curious as to why you think TT was involved with the slope mechanism. If it's true, new TT releases might use slopes too, and maybe from that point on, everything could be compatible again.

But I don't think TT ever used Hasbro's reinforced version of the beylauncher handle.

Why wouldn't you think TT was involved? They designed the original mechanism and Hasbro pays them for the license. The slopes address a design issue that Takara-Tomy themselves has been forced to address. I see no reason to believe Hasbro would've been left on their own for this.
I dunno if TT would really care about what Hasbro does, and Hasbro has made many changes by themselves. All of the bottoms in Hasbro's Metal Masters line and forward had modified molds with extra reinforcements. They also improved the Bearing Stinger shaft.

I know TT made the original mechanism, but despite what many people may say, Hasbro aren't idiots, and I'm sure they plenty of capable toy engineers. I know people make fun of all the XTS and electronic side toys and even though they are lame compared to the real beyblade line, they are engineered pretty well as toys on their own. It doesn't seem impossible that another company or someone else could improve upon the teeth mechanism.

I'm sure it would have been easier and cheaper for Hasbro to not modify the existing molds. It would seem strange that Takara would give Hasbro the idea for a better mechanism that they did not use themselves, unless someone at Takara really did come up with it waaaay after the initial Japanese launch.

But I'll guess we'll never know for sure, since we'll never get in contact with someone at Hasbro or Takara. ¯\_(シ)_/¯
Quote:I dunno if TT would really care about what Hasbro does, and Hasbro has made many changes by themselves. All of the bottoms in Hasbro's Metal Masters line and forward had modified molds with extra reinforcements. They also improved the Bearing Stinger shaft.

These are all huge assumptions and again assume TT wasn't involved. TT is likely the reason Hasbro knows the parts need reinforcements or modifications in the first place. It sure isn't because an intern is trawling WBO all day long.
Considering Hasbro probably couldn't just make it all entirely from scratch, TT probably got involved with it. The short drivers seem intentional, meaning they probably saw the original TT versions first. Perhaps the lack of compatibility is so that both companies have their own to offer, except the slopes which are a good idea and I've gotten use to them.

Even I'm starting to think the Hasbro hate is overdone and at this point, is something that should've died down a few days ago. And I don't mean giving some criticisms but constantly treating Hasbro's decision like it's the end of the world, and this does refer to some of my posts too, and that's why I've stopped whining and only criticised when needed. Plus the WBO would start to look bad to outsiders if we constantly whined about children toys.
Quote:Perhaps the lack of compatibility is so that both companies have their own to offer,

It's really because the slope design simply can't work with Takara-Tomy's Driver design. I am not sure why I've seen so many alternative explanations for it.
(Sep. 05, 2016  7:58 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
Quote:Perhaps the lack of compatibility is so that both companies have their own to offer,

It's really because the slope design simply can't work with Takara-Tomy's Driver design. I am not sure why I've seen so many alternative explanations for it.

Yeah! I know that! But people could also ask why the Driver mechanism was altered in general.
(Sep. 05, 2016  8:10 PM)Jinbee Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2016  7:58 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:

Yeah! I know that! But people could also ask why the Driver mechanism was altered in general.

To accomodate the new slope system, which is necessary to correct durability issues and provide more nuanced options for Burst resistance other than "very resistant" and "explodes on contact."
(Sep. 05, 2016  4:53 PM)Real_ilinnuc Wrote:
Here are my two cents.

I agree completely with Ilinnuc on this.
I'm sure this has already been brought up before, but has anyone talked about Spryzen's color change?

TRU canada post- [Image: 8ba15059b944be53d5ab7143354b1a84.png]

Actual color (From Hato's video) - [Image: d82550e3b3ca192cf1f6d52ff58dfd09.png]

The wings were changed from gold with black paint, to black with gold paint. How do you all feel about that change? I like them both equally.
I think the Spryzen S2 from the epic rival battle set has the colors on the poster. I scanned both in the app and I have both color schemes now.
(Sep. 06, 2016  12:41 AM)cosmicstriker Wrote: I think the Spryzen S2 from the epic rival battle set has the colors on the poster. I scanned both in the app and I have both color schemes now.

Oh okay.
(Sep. 06, 2016  12:50 AM)Real_ilinnuc Wrote:
(Sep. 06, 2016  12:41 AM)cosmicstriker Wrote: I think the Spryzen S2 from the epic rival battle set has the colors on the poster. I scanned both in the app and I have both color schemes now.

Oh okay.

I scaned both and the 2nd one said you already scaned this beyblade but I still got the 2nd color. also I kinda like the look of the gold TRU one better
(Sep. 05, 2016  8:50 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2016  8:10 PM)Jinbee Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2016  7:58 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: It's really because the slope design simply can't work with Takara-Tomy's Driver design. I am not sure why I've seen so many alternative explanations for it.

To accomodate the new slope system, which is necessary to correct durability issues and provide more nuanced options for Burst resistance other than "very resistant" and "explodes on contact."

I'd say this is the most likely reason. Which is comforting. But I would only say so based on Hasbro's previous handling of the subject - where they have been happily cross-compatible with Takara-Tomy in the past. Any other company and I would be extremely suspicious and pessimistic about the decision to split compatibility. I think it is valid to question the decision here - because companies pull these retentive stunts all the time - but in this case specifically, on the topic of compatibility, I think Hasbro has earned our trust.